Start by marking “The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series” as Want to Read:
The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series

The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series (Leviathan)

A lavishly illustrated, full-color companion to Scott Westerfeld's New York Times bestselling Leviathan trilogy.

A must-have for any fan of Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy, The Manual of Aeronautics is an illustrated guide to the inner workings of the Darwinist and Clanker powers. Loaded with detailed descriptions and elaborate, four-color illustrations of Darwinist be
Published August 21st 2012 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Manual of Aeronautics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manual of Aeronautics

Reanne
Jul 31, 2012 Reanne rated it really liked it
I bought a copy of this at Comic Con. It's pretty nifty, especially if you love seeing the details of imaginary technology. There are also drawings of some of the creatures from the story and some portraits at the end. It gives more info on the technical specs of the ships and things, but don't expect much as far as the characters go (there's a bit, but nothing you wouldn't know if you read the bonus chapter online). The main point of this is the art, though, and that is pretty impressive.
Elevetha
Aug 13, 2012 Elevetha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the "Leviathan" series
When this gorgeous beauty arrived in the mail, I was very excited. I still am but... I thought it would be bigger and taller and wider and more!. Oh well, what can you do but stare at the lovely pictures? I very much enjoyed reading through it and looking at it gives you a brilliant idea of the setting. Quite awesome.
Josiah
Apr 10, 2017 Josiah rated it did not like it
The Manual of Aeronautics: An Illustrated Guide to the Leviathan Series has negligible appeal beyond readers of the trilogy, but makes a nice keepsake for fans of Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath. Impressive as Keith Thompson's artwork was in bringing Clanker and Darwinist technologies to life in the main series, a lot of specifics were left out, and some of those gaps are filled in via The Manual of Aeronautics, a full-color guide to the beasties, vehicles, and people of the Leviathan world. It ...more
Jeffrey Jelmeland
This is a fantastic resource with some very nice artwork. However, for some reason I expected something more from this book, and I find myself disappointed in it. Yes, there are some gorgeous illustrations for entities, craft and all sorts of things along with brief descriptions to go with the artwork, but I also expected maps and other similar things that tie into the books more than this. After all, the books have some fantastic maps already, so why not incorporate them into this volume, add m ...more
Jenna
Apr 17, 2015 Jenna rated it liked it
Fun and detailed enough when it comes to the overarching Clanker/Darwinist dichotemy, but I wanted even more of the word building, more details how the world is changed from our own, and more background on the characters. I supposed I'm spoiled with the The Wheel of Time Companion, The Rivan Codex: Ancient Texts of the Belgariad and the Malloreon, and the textbook-like nature of the GoT back story. But it definitely did do its job by collecting wonderful images and making me want to reread the w ...more
Mary Grace Nakao
May 03, 2014 Mary Grace Nakao rated it it was amazing
This was a great companion while reading the whole series. Im not really imaginative when it comes to machines and in this case, includes the fabricated creatures so I was truly grateful.

For me, it made the whole story world more vivid and clear. It doesnt hurt that the books include illustrations of some scenes as well
Braiden
Aug 29, 2012 Braiden rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of coloured illustrations of much of Scott Westerfeld’s genius world of Darwinists and Clankers. From cover to cover I found it interesting to learn specifically about specific beasts, machines, uniforms, transport systems etc. for one of my favourite series. A great “extra” to the series for any fan.
Miss Clark
A companion book to Westerfeld's Leviathan series, it is a lavishly illustrated guide to the technology and fabricated beasts, with cut-aways and details, as well as the uniforms of the respective armed forces. Lovely for any fan of the series.
Indah Threez Lestari
Mar 13, 2014 Indah Threez Lestari rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english, punya
326 - 2014

Pernah membaca serial Leviathan-nya Scott Westerfeld? Selain dari ilustrasi sketsa hitam putih yang menghiasi lembaran bukunya, terbayang tidak sih bagaimana wujud para makhluk dan mesin fantastis yang menjadi andalan kubu Darwinist maupun Clanker?

Scott Westerfeld sangat detail ketika berusaha membangun dunia Leviathan. Bekerja sama dengan ilustrator Keith Thompson, ia merancang secara presisi apa saja yang ada dalam imajinasinya. Seperti apa dimensi mesin fantastisnya? Bagaimana serag
Rachelle
Fun graphics to go with the Leviathan series.
Relena_reads
Feb 04, 2013 Relena_reads rated it liked it
I was such a fan of the illustrations in the books, but this "manual" felt really sparse to me. I was expecting to get an understanding of how these beasts and machines really worked, and I don't feel like I have more insight into the Clanker tech or the living mechanisms of the Leviathan. The map of the airship is the most detailed portion of the book, and even then there are a lot of gaps. There are also no close-up diagrams of Goliath or Tesla's metal detecting device, both of which I would h ...more
Angela
Nov 26, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ever since I heard the news that this book would exist, I knew I had to own it. There's a wonderful symmetry between Westerfeld's words and Thompson's illustrations, and learning even more about their combined brilliance wasn't something I could pass up.

In the introduction, Westerfeld talks of how much details had to go into planning these books—the the illustrator would come back with questions about miniscule details, and these details aren't usually something you consider when writing a book.
Tony Russo
Aug 14, 2012 Tony Russo rated it it was amazing
A wonderful companion guide to Scott Westerfield's Leviathan trilogy, this illustrated book describes the world, technology and design behind the Clankers and the Darwinists vehicles, aircraft, weapons and noted characters from the series. The guide offers cutaway shots in much the same vein as the Illustrated Guides to the Star Wars Universe and other books. The illustrations are wonderful and in washed-out color, which helps put a vintage twist on the whole steampunk genre. The end papers have ...more
Chris
Nov 29, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I was expecting elaborate illustrations in the style of the incredible Ology books. Instead, the art was small and more reminiscent of concept art. The clanks and beasties included were only those featured specifically in the books, and this missed opportunity to expand the world is the most disappointing. Portions, such as the picture of the flechette bat, appealed to me as call-back to sketchbooks from Darwin-era naturalism, but that was too little, too late. The only take-away ...more
Amaranth
May 10, 2013 Amaranth rated it it was amazing
This is a great companion to the Leviathan series and to those who haven't yet read them, this is still an awesome book.
It combines two of my favorite things art and world building. The drawings are beautiful and very detailed and there are nice snippets of information about the alternate timeline the Leviathan series takes place in. It focuses on the "beasties" and technology that was in the novels and only adds a few commentary about them which makes sense as this is a guide to the Leviathan
Michael
Jan 26, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this 3 book series and this companion guide was great fun. The illustrations give it a sense of reality that is imaginative. I have to say that seeing the great beasties in drawing made me a little sad for their plight of servitude, whereas in the book they are described as a much more harmonious, symbiotic relationship with humans and all creatures. Sometimes things are better left to the imagination? However, the uniforms, clanker machines, etc. looked really awesome, as did ...more
melydia
Feb 27, 2013 melydia rated it really liked it
The alternate-WWI, steampunk world of Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath required a surprising amount of pre-work, describing all the technology and creatures and uniforms so the illustrations of the novels would match Westerfeld's vision. This book contains a small sampling of those designs, from detailed floor plans of airships to Latin names for fabricated beasties to portraits of some of our favorite characters. It was a very fast read, but I loved the full color drawings. The pictures really ...more
Sammie Cheng
Aug 06, 2013 Sammie Cheng rated it really liked it
I loved this guide to the series, and the illustrations and insight was amazing! It's a great guide for the series, and I would recommend getting if you've read the series. However, the size was lacking. I expected it to be a lot bigger, and more detail and information. More close-ups and maps, and more insight on the characters of the books would have been great, and I was a little disappointed at how little it included. However, I can't say I didn't enjoy it, and the full colour illustrations ...more
Ubalstecha
Nov 07, 2012 Ubalstecha rated it really liked it
Scott Westerfield's Leviathan series is a steam punk masterpiece placed in WWI Europe. The German side and their allies are Clankers, masters of metal and steam. The British side and their allies are Darwinists, countries that have learned how to manipulate DNA to develop their technology. This book is companion piece to the series, a collection of illustrations showing that various ships, uniforms and devices of both sides. It is a must for people who have read the series. It could also be used ...more
Kreiden
Apr 08, 2013 Kreiden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“A very decently illustrated guide”

Since I’ve been reading the Levithan Series I was amazed by the bits of Illustrated Art per each chapter. All those steam-punk-style scenery adds the tickles in my imagination.

Overall it was a very decent illustrated guide and I am overwhelmed by the Darwinist beasties and the Clanker’s Walkers art. Definitely a WOW!

Rebecca
After finishing up the trilogy at the beginning of the year I was looking forward to reading this little companion book to the series.
I found the illustrations to be really insightful and I loved how they were in colour so we could get an extra glimpse into the whole story.
There’s not a lot else to say about this book so I’m just going to say, it was an awesome read and I thought it was a neat little companion to the Leviathan trilogy.
Julio
Aug 30, 2012 Julio rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A beautifully illustrated guide to the world of Westerfeld's Leviathan series. Keith Thompson's gorgeous illustrations are on full display here depicting the various Darwinist beasties and Clanker walkers that permeate the series. We also get some glimpses at various characters form the series. A wonderful companion work for those who are fans of the books and want to delve even further into the world they depict.
Lee-ann Dunton
I definitely enjoyed this book, but due to it's length I don't think it added all that much more to the original books. The illustrations inside the books are detailed enough that you can easily forgo this manual and still have a vivid idea of the beasties and ships that Westerfeld describes in the series. It's still worth picking up if you have access to it!
Molly Greenwald
Oct 22, 2012 Molly Greenwald rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
I loved that this book was compiled from all of the images in Scott Westerfeld's brain about the world we explore in his epic novels. More often than not wind up following the words along the page as I follow the story like a movie in my mind. Having this helps me understand the chaotic, beautiful world in which Deryn and Alek live a little bit more.
Cathrine Bonham
Nov 14, 2012 Cathrine Bonham rated it liked it
Shelves: william-s-reads
This book is really just show off the illustrations because it doesn't tell me anything that I didn't already know from reading the trilogy. There isn't a deeper world building like I had hoped. Though the illustrations are amazing and full color really brings them to life I think that unless you really have to own the "complete set" I don't think I would spend twenty bucks on this.
Allison Mulder
Feb 18, 2016 Allison Mulder rated it liked it
As I'm seeing in a lot of other reviews, this guide fell a little short of expectations. I love the world of Leviathan, but this book didn't really tell me much that wasn't present in the original books. It's a short collection of great artwork, bringing a lot of the world information into one place...but didn't expand as much as I was hoping for.
Naruto4Hokage(Jessica)
Aug 28, 2013 Naruto4Hokage(Jessica) marked it as to-read
Okay, so I attended one of Scott Westerfeld's writing festival lectures and thought it was really good. I never actually knew about The Manual of Aeronautics. It was interesting to hear what he said about the machinery and the equipment that were used throughout the Leviathan series. I'm looking forward to looking at the manual!
Jessica Hollo
Feb 14, 2015 Jessica Hollo rated it liked it
Of course, I know this is a technical manual, so no plot. But I was hoping for more insight, extra tidbit beyond what was in the books.
Illustrations were well done, I would have liked to have them side by side while reading the series, but other than that, it doesn't really add anything to the series.
Okay overall, pick it up, but don't expect much.
Britt Wisenbaker
Feb 23, 2013 Britt Wisenbaker rated it liked it
I found the book to be somewhat paltry and uninspired compared to my imagination of what all of the richly described world of Westerfeld's books would be like. I think it would have worked better to have a range of illustrators in different styles interpret the people, things and creatures of the leviathan world. Oh well.
S. Jess
Jun 10, 2014 S. Jess rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. It offers everything it promises, but I was honestly a tad disappointed with this. Only 50 pages with a bit too much empty space between illustrations. Wanted more descriptions and never-before-read content, especially when it came to the characters. Personally prefer the illustrations in the trilogy to the ones in this guide.
  • Liberator (Worldshaker, #2)
  • 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume One (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.1)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 8: Her Permanent Record (Amelia Rules! #8)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Steampunk Bible
  • Blood in the Skies (The Hellfire Chronicles, #1)
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
  • The Wildlife of Star Wars
  • A Hero For WondLa (The Search for WondLa, #2)
  • Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories
  • The Little Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1.5)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Rabbit Problem
  • The Incredible Charlotte Sycamore (Charlotte Sycamore, #1)
  • Cold Copper (Age of Steam, #3)
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld...

Leviathan (3 books)
  • Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)