Start by marking “Old Poison (Dangerous Ground, #2)” as Want to Read:
Old Poison (Dangerous Ground, #2)

Old Poison (Dangerous Ground #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  2,408 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
Someone from DSS Special Agent Taylor MacAllister’s past -- the past he doesn’t discuss with his partner and now-lover Will Brandt -- wants him scared. Dead scared. Or maybe just dead. Will fears the past will end a future romance. Or any future at all.

(This book was previously released through Loose Id Publishing.)
Published (first published November 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Old Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Poison

Baba
3.5 stars. Review posted January 1, 2015

photo oie_Bj01ToQRN95x_zpsoqpv8rlz.gif

Back in 2012 I made the very pleasant acquaintance of Josh Lanyon. Well, we never met personally but since I read
Dangerous Ground I made sure to check out his huge backlist. Lanyon delivers time and again with the exception of a couple minor slips. Old Poison, however, is neither a masterpiece nor a failure. I enjoyed it but it didn't rock my little world. As usual, the writing was pretty much flawless (though the editing wasn't stellar at all) but I had
Ingela
Written September 8, 2014

3.8 Stars - A luxurious gift, old sins and tender words - whole-cozy!

Book #2

Old Poison is the second part in the audiobook Volume #1 - Armed and Dangerous: Four Dangerous Ground Novellas.
I liked the serie start in #1 - Dangerous Ground (3.7 stars) and started to listening to this second book as soon as I finished the first one.

As I wrote in my last 100% update to the first book: Ohmygodiloveeverythingwrittenbyjoshlanyon !!

**********************************************
Susan
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AUDIOBOOK REVIEW - January 14, 2017

As in the ebook format, the audiobook series is a bit addictive. Easy listening...

********************

ORIGINAL REVIEW - September 2, 2012

Josh Lanyon's series are so easy to consume. I've found that as one-offs they're just ok, but read as a whole, they're really entertaining and the characters so likable.

"Old Poison" was a much better read than the first book "Dangerous Ground". Will and Taylor are settling into their relationship...and even t
Natasha
Happy Birthday to Taylor!
SPOILERS BELOW.

In this book it’s Taylor’s birthday and it starts with seemingly a very sweet, loving gesture by his boyfriend, William. Awwwww. Turns out, William is actually quite the wiener. He says things to Taylor like how he wishes they didn’t start off a relationship. Like, c’mon. That’s a little mean, isn’t it? Taylor has seemingly dropped his playboy ways and is nothing is not completely committed and willing to create a life with William, mostly to suit William’
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Where's the connection?*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

We're back with Special Agents Taylor MacAllister (32) and Will Brandt (still don't know how old he is...?) and this time the past comes to hunt Taylor. ‘Old ghosts’ that Taylor doesn't want Will to know about. Though, it's more like he doesn't want to talk about it. However, not telling Will, will put Taylor's life in danger and time is running out...
If Will stopped believing in him, if Will didn't care about him anymore—it was like losing his compass
Irina
This is a review of an audio book

What is it about Josh Lanyon's books that I can't get enough of them!

As Will and Taylor's story continues, they grow on me even more. I love these two hot masculine agents together! They take their romance slow and still keep some secrets from each other. But they are willing to take the next step in their relationship and I oohed and aahed at the end of this instalment.

The mystery was not my favourite here though. Taylor can't seem to stay away from trouble a
Jimmy Hanson
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
So this is the second installment to the Will x. Taylor "Dangerous Ground" novel[ette?:], and I was disappointed. Seriously.

I mean, I wanted very badly to love Josh Lanyon - I can't even count how many people have freaked out when I say I haven't read [much of:] his stuff. But this ... this is kind of why.

The relationship between Will and Taylor is just too - HARD. They struggle every second of it and it just seems like bloody torture. It doesn't even seem like they even LIKE each other. There's
Meags
3.5 Stars

Set a month on from the events in book one (Dangerous Ground), Taylor and Will are now navigating their recently altered relationship from best friends and work partners, to friends, partners and lovers.

On top of all the personal adjustments this big change in their relationship entails, Taylor also faces a new threat to his well-being that seems to be linked to his mysterious time spent stationed overseas eight years earlier.

I wasn't sure what to make of this one. The crime/mystery p
Ilhem
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: josh-lanyon, m-m, mystery

Taylor and Will come back with more substance and I like the couple. The intrigue is okay but its resolution relies on something that I found a little hard to buy.
Still, well done and overall enjoyable.
Emma Sea
Really enjoyable: complex characters and ship. Taylor is a magnet for mortal injury and general trouble. I assume it will be Will's turn in the next book. Let's find out . . .
Karen
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mm
I'm really enjoying rereading these books it's surprising how much I remember but also how much that I've forgotten about. Looking forward to the next book, getting that much closer to #5 the one I haven't read yet.
Trio
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, audio-book, z08-uc-mm
yay - counting down the days to #6!
Lori
Josh Lanyon books are better as a series. Each bit combines to make a whole and I love them. Taylor and Will - I want more!
Jenre
I must be the only 'Fanyon' who wasn't that fussed about the prequel to this book: Dangerous Ground. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, thought it was well written and liked the characters of Will and Taylor, but I wasn't too bothered about reading another book about them and it certainly didn't incite the amount of rapture in me that I've seen from other fans. I'd rather have a seen a sequel to Cards on the Table to be honest. Despite this, I picked up this novella and prepared to be entertained, ...more
Lori K
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
9/14/11
Re-read
I'd forgotten how much these books focus on David Bradley.

(view spoiler)
Adam
Well I'm sorry Mish, but I guess I'm going to be ditching you halfway through the series.

'Old Poison' was just a big fat 'meh' for me.

Like book 1, the mystery/action is lacklustre. It seemed very contrived, with random events strung together. And when the resolution finally came about, I was let down. It seemed like an excuse to throw some Japanese in to the mix and make the book more "exotic". Well, I thought it was just silly.

As for the romance..I'm not buying it. I think Taylor is right when
Tina
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime

Old poison? What does that mean?

Take a cobra pickled in a bottle of Sake (iiiieeeeh), an odd message written in Japanese characters, a crazy widow, an attempt on Taylor's life and a Japanese lover who committed suicide eight years ago...

...what do you get?

Old Poison!

Like the first book of the Dangerous Ground series 'Old Poison' was an entertaining read. Now to book three... :)
Kati
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it much better than part 1. The plot itself was quite interesting and I was glad to see that everything wasn't simple and perfect for Taylor and Will after their little adventure in the woods. It was also great that we learned more about Taylor and his past, about the years he had spent in Japan. I do hope that there will be part 3!
Ami
A nice and light read; with recurring character from previous novella DANGEROUS GROUND. We see glimpse on how Taylor and Will continue their life after becoming more than just partners. I'm not particularly care about the cases that they are both working though :)
Fani *loves angst*
I'm not convinced Will sees Taylor seriously enough and it's ruining the series for me. I'm stopping here for now.
Samantha
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
3.5 rounded up.

It's Taylor's birthday, but apparently someone has a sick and expensive sense of humor. The first surprise is wine with a cobra inside, and despite it being long dead, the creepiness factor doesn't go to waste on Taylor - or Will for that matter.

But between both of their cases and the confusion of a new relationship, the simple threats that keep popping up don't seem like much. They're harmless, really.

Until they aren't.
If Will stopped believing in him, if Will didn't care about
Dina
I gave the original Old Poison ebook 4 stars, but I'm afraid I can't stand by it anymore. Will's confusing feelings about Taylor (view spoiler) and Taylor's refusal to discuss (view spoiler) bothered me much more this time around. Time has passed and I have changed, c'est la vie.

I wasn't a big fan of the job the narrator did in the audiobook version of the previous book of the series, but I decided
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
"Old poison slays as swiftly as new."

Will!!!

Now that I got that out of the way...Review to come...
Catherine
I feel like I'm missing something here. Everyone I talk to seems to LOVE Josh Lanyon and his Dangerous Ground series, but I've read two of these novellas now and so far I've been getting more entertainment from my friends' enthusiastic and cheeky comments about them than from the actual books themselves.

I do have to say that I think Dangerous Ground and Old Poison were well-written and well-edited. The pacing is good, and there's a satisfying balance between the action and those quieter domestic
Tully Vincent
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Fast-paced mystery with plenty of heat and relationship time. This author is so adept at creating a quick and vivid sense of place and time. So skilled at describing people, situations, etc. in a few well-chosen lines where others would use pages.

These are complex characters that we continue to learn more about as the series goes on. Love Taylor. . . Will not so much. Here's what kept the story from being a five star read for me.

(view spoiler)
Trix
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased that Old Posion picks up where Dangerous Ground left off but for some reason... it also gave me the feeling of watching a TV shows... getting an episode per book. It's not a bad thing, just feels segmented off.

But other than that, there was still that edge of adrenaline and mystery, though in slightly smaller measures this time (towards the end of the book). I liked that the personalities and past of each character was further presented as well as another glimpse of what each feels
Chryssa
*3,75 to be exact!*

I really liked this short story which has certainly improved a lot compared to the first!
The romance between Taylor and Will develops but in earnest I just cannot believe Will saying that he loves Taylor while he has straying what-if thoughts for his former lover, when he must work with him on a case...
And Taylor....what can I say for him other than he is my favourite in this couple? Loyal, true to his feelings and always the one fighting for his life! Bad juju, karma? I feel
Arpi !!!getting high on books!!!
I Forgot to update that I'd already finished this book and the next one as well....I was so busy starting the next book that I completely forgot...

And I think that in itself is enough to tell you HOW MUCH I AM LOVING THIS SERIES

I think Out of the 3 series that I have read so far of Josh Lanyon, these two-Will and Taylor- are my absolute favourite couple

They have their ups and downs but that's exactly what I love about them....whatever the problem is...they are willing to fight for each other to
Josephine Myles
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, romance, mystery
*4.5 stars*

I definitely enjoyed this more than the first Dangerous Ground book. The reasons were twofold - there was an engaging mystery rather than simple physical peril (although there was certainly a bit of that involved), and the Will and Taylor relationship was explored in more depth. We start with an uncomplicated, happy evening showing them at their best, before the conflict between them really kicks in. It was good to have that gentle start, as things certainly get difficult later on.

Thi
Goodreads Feedback: Discrepancy between My Shelf and Book Page 10 101 May 20, 2012 11:04PM
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • Nine Lights Over Edinburgh
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

Dangerous Ground (6 books)
  • Dangerous Ground (Dangerous Ground, #1)
  • Blood Heat (Dangerous Ground, #3)
  • Dead Run (Dangerous Ground, #4)
  • Kick Start (Dangerous Ground, #5)
  • Blind Side (Dangerous Grounds, #6)
“So, tomorrow night. My house or yours?"
"Mine. I...want to show you something."
"Oh yes?” Will said hopefully, suggestively.
There was a smile in Taylor's voice, but he sounded absent. “Will?"
"Right here."
There was a pause. “When I was shot—"
Will's heart quickened; he wasn't even sure why. “Yeah?"
"It wasn't because of you...turning me down. It wasn't because my mind wasn't on the job."
"No?"
"No. I know—at least, I think I do—that you thought you were somehow to blame for me getting nailed. It wasn't anything to do with you.” He heard Taylor sigh. “It was when I saw how young they were. Kids. And I hesitated. I hesitated a couple of seconds too long. That's all."
Something inside Will relaxed, like the clutch of a child's hand on a balloon. The balloon went sailing free and happy.
(...)
He couldn't even explain why he felt so happy. “You think I'm with you out of guilt?"
"No, you ass. Of course not. I just mean—"
"You're a nut, MacAllister. I'm with you because I love you."
There it was, out. Three little words. Three of the most common words in the world, but string them together and they were more powerful than any warrant, any extradition papers, or even treaty. Stronger than any magical spell. Had he really never said them aloud to Taylor? Something in the ringing silence that followed made him think he maybe hadn't.
It was a relief when Taylor said, at last, in that irritable voice that always signified nerves or great emotion, “That's fine. I just thought you should know."
"I love you,” Will repeated firmly, having got the hang of it. “I'll see you tomorrow night, you lunatic."
"Love you,” Taylor said tersely and hung up.
Taylor stared at the receiver in its cradle and then got ready for bed.”
4 likes
“You think I'm with you out of guilt?"
"No, you ass. Of course not. I just mean—"
"You're a nut, MacAllister. I'm with you because I love you."
There it was, out. Three little words. Three of the most common words in the world, but string them together and they were more powerful than any warrant, any extradition papers, or even treaty. Stronger than any magical spell. Had he really never said them aloud to Taylor?”
3 likes