Start by marking “In the Shadow of a Hero” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of a Hero

In the Shadow of a Hero

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
A cop dies in the city, life goes on. For one little boy, though, it changed everything. Haunted by his past, Maxwell Thomas has grown up homeless and friendless, trapped by his guilt. Prowling the city, the small man guards the Church District like a vigilante, trying to make up for his crime. When he rescues the wrong rent boy, he is pulled back into the madness that des ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Resplendence Publishing (first published June 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of a Hero

Simsala
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, suspense-crime
I had a few issues with the MC`s in this book.
Nick`s childlike naivety as a good cop in a dirty,corrupted city and his sudden change from straight to gay and accepting it as "his destiny" was hard to believe. Maxwell`s - described as a character with incredible inner strenght -
constant reveling in his guilt and his inner musings of "not beeing worth it" were repetitive and increasingly tiresome.
Other than that In The Shadow Of A Hero is a suspenseful if a bit gloomy story with an unusal GFY/oppo
Plainbrownwrapper
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
This is one of those very rare mm books that I think ought to have a HIGHER average rating. This is a very good book, even if it ain't perfect.

To start with, Mayle has a very strong narrative voice. I became enamored of her writing style as soon as I started Bedtime Story for a Stolen Child (another book that I think should be rated more highly); and that voice, though put to different uses here, is still very much in evidence. She has a very definite gift for descriptive prose. At times that pr
SueM
I liked this futuristic M/M romantic suspense novel. Maxwell, a man scarred - emotionally, physically and mentally - by his past and present, is suddenly thrust into Nick's life after being mistakenly suspected of murder. Nick, a local beat cop, can't understand the very strong need to protect Maxwell, but knows he's hopeless to resist it. Thus begins a relationship between the two men. Admittedly, it's definitely one-sided at first, but as Maxwell slowly begins to trust Nick, so does the relati ...more
Emma Sea
I think the book shows an author with a lot of potential, rather then being a really good book. The prose in the opening pages was a bit purple (maybe even ultra-violet) and there are a couple of instances where the author uses a metaphor and then spells it out e.g. an overgrown garden represents one MC: something truly beautiful that has been left untended and unloved: on seeing it, the other MC thinks "hey, Maxwell is just like that garden!". Incredibly annoying: trust your readers to get it. ...more
Chris
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent m/m romantic suspense about a guy who's been on the street for a long time, as something of a vigilante, and a cop who starts to see the depth of the man behind the grime and bruises. This was complex and involving and will stay in my head for quite a while...
Samantha
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75ish.

Review Now Available @ Scattered Thoughts & Rogue Words
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
What follows is my review, but if you want a perfect review that I agree with virtually 100%, read Plainbrownwrapper's. I read it after I read the book and was pleasantly surprised at how much we noticed the same things.

First off, I really liked this book. The story was excellent, the plot complicated and the suspense and action excellent. The characters were very interesting and not black and white. Some good characters did bad stuff and some bad characters did good things. One key character tu
Emilie
Well, I wasn't expecting that! Don't judge a book by the cover and the synopsis! I had a hard time with the writing at first, but after two chapters, I found it brilliant. And the characters... Maxwell is beautifully broken and Nicky is so sweet and kind. Really, perfect combination. The plot was great, a little predictable maybe but it's hard these days to find a book without clichés. I'm complaining here but I would have been disappointed with a different ending...

So, I give 5 stars to this b
Feliz
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really good. Beautiful writing; you could call it prose at times. It suffered a bit from repetition. There were lengthy parts who could've profited from trimming, but those were balanced by breathtakingly fast action sequences and beautiful, deeply emotional love scenes, so nothing to complain about too loudly.
I'd classify this as a definite GFY, as Nick was never attracted to men before. But I liked his consequence once he had accepted the fact that he'd fallen for a man, and I didn't
Tj
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I really enjoyed the story. Maxwell was such a tough character, complex and interesting. Nick was a simpler character. He is just a good guy who likes to protect. The plot was well written and smooth. I enjoyed the setting and the ideas involved. I so wanted this to be a five star read since I enjoyed the story so much but the changes of perspective were not easy to tell apart. They would run into one another and I would have to back up to realize that it was no longer the same character. I real ...more
J.P. Bowie
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually I don't care for stories that involve straight guys suddenly finding true love with another man, but Nick and Maxwell are both such great characters that I went with the disparities and enjoyed the story very much - particularly because of the strong and evocative narrative. Beautifully written.
Virginia
4.5 stars. Beautiful, futuristic story about a cop with a heart of gold and a homeless vigilante with an equally golden heart. Wonderful writing with beautifully descriptive passages. The romance builds between the two MCs. Wonderful story about overcoming and trusting again.
jules0623
So wordy it was exhausting reading it.
Charly
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this quite a bit, but it has some issues

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 6/10

PROS:
- The dynamic between Maxwell and Nick is odd and intriguing. They don’t understand each other very well, and they often have trouble communicating, but they’re drawn to each other nonetheless. This is a pair of characters I will not easily forget, even with as many m/m romances as I read.
- Maxwell’s thoughts are quite funny sometimes. When he’s being interroga
Candice
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot damn, this was gearing up to be a 5 star read from me. Everything was going great. I loved the story, the gritty darkness (which I wasn't expecting), it was wordy-but beautifully put, it had the right amount of action, and it kept me turning the pages on the edge of my seat. What went wrong? In my opinion...the ending. What happened? Okay, I am getting ahead of myself. Let's go back to the beginning.

Maxwell is a vagrant who has lived most of his life on the streets. He knows his way around a
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Mayle has such a distinctive writing style that I remembered what was the last book I'd read from her within 10 minutes of starting this one. It's that unique and strong. Lyrical and kind of lush prose.

One of the things she does so well is write experiencing the story with your five senses particularly potently. Here that's a bit of a downfall. Maxwell is homeless. By all accounts he wears the same clothes he's been wearing for years. Yes folks that would include underwear to me. Socks. So my i
Cheryl
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maxwell grew up on the streets. No friends no family no hope but plenty of guilt. Over the years he has tried helping some of the rent boys on the street. When he sees one trapped by a huge thug, in the alley Maxwell is sitting above, he decides to help. Battered and bruised a little while later the rent boy is all over him thanking him. Maxwell goes back to his place on the fire escape to sleep.

Nick is a beat cop who thinks he might make detective soon. He is kind, thoughtful and always helps h
Sally
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maxwell is tragic in a strong way, like he's lived with a death-wish for so long that it's made him almost fearless, until he meets Nicky Blue Eyes and realizes he has something to lose.
Nicky is just a genuine good guy, almost too good, but I liked that. I'm not sure if he was straight before Maxwell or if he was in denial, but the way their courtship was written, it works either way.
This author manages to paint her worlds so clearly that I feel like I'm in them. I love the imagery in this boo
Amanda
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: won copy from author

I was actually surprised how much I really liked this book, I didn't want to put it down until I finished. Although the book is rather dark at times, it was more drama/suspense through most of it. I loved the hurt/comfort themes.

There were only a few things that bothered me. I kept having to remind myself how old Maxwell was (not that 29 is old, but still older than me), he just felt younger. (view spoiler) Although the book is written in third-person, t
Moniqee
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried while reading this story and honestly, it's a heartache feeling the pain Maxfield going through his life and the worst when he found out his Hero wasnt a hero after all. I am so glad it is a HEA ( I hope! ) for both Maxfield and Nick at the end.

YET...there are a few minor mishaps where I find a little trouble of believing it...ie the survival rate of Maxfield ( all these years living in dumps with no or little money ) is kind of impossible.

Anyway, I understand there will be a "Maxfield
Melora
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2011
★★★★ - Great, would highly recommend.(view spoiler) ...more
Erica Pike
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: add-th
Why the heck doesn't this book have a higher rating? In the Shadow of a Hero is amazing. I seriously couldn't put it down. The main character was so unorthodox compared to most gay lit characters that I never saw the things he did coming. Plus, the writing is absolutely brilliant. The book is raw, real, and in no way fluffy - at any time - which is always a plus in my books.

Seriously: brutal and exciting, plus very, very hot. The closest thing I've come to a dystopian gay lit (yay!).
Meggie
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was truly well developed and written story. I really liked Maxwell ramblings and his thoughts. He was strong character firm in this believes. The mystery in this plot was well staged and when it came into the light I was surprised. I'm glad he found Nick and the HEA was simply big plus.
Lee
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This should have been five stars if for no other reason than for the quality writing. However, I couldn't make a connection with the two main characters. And that’s too bad because the book was well done.
Four Stars!
Ashley Cox
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Fabulous and now I want more ..
Allybaba
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent - worth the read - the book description does not do it justice. It made me laugh, was gritty, suspenseful and romatic...

I have not a single smarky comment to make...
Kiki
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Lady*M
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance, suspense

DL
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book had a very strong start but then it sort of fell apart. I liked the dark atmosphere. I liked the characters. Somewhere past the half way point the story got a little too convoluted.
Eyre
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, lgbt
This is one of the best romantic suspense novels I've read in a while. I really hope this author writes a sequel or at least write more in this genre.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • In Hot Pursuit
  • Sleepwalker
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • Big Cypress Crossroads
  • Lines in the Sand
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • I Spy Something Bloody (I Spy, #1)
  • Dirty Kiss (Cole McGinnis, #1)
  • 72 Hours
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
  • Missing Daughter, Shattered Family (David Lloyd Investigations #1)
  • Out of the Shadows
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • High Concept
  • A Reason To Believe
I grew up in the woods and wild, in a place almost forgotten by time, I learned that the best moments in our existence are the ones filled with the spirit of the earth when you are surrounded by family. Even now, thirty years into my life, I find there is nothing more important than family and nothing more soothing than a quiet forest and softly flowing water.

Currently I make my home in Lansing i