Start by marking “Signs of Emergence: A Vision for Church That Is Always Organic/Networked/Decentralized/Bottom-Up/Communal/Flexible/Always Evolving (ēmersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)” as Want to Read:

Many in the church are recognizing that traditional "top-down" structures are no longer functional. The church is seen as an institution that is out of touch, ignored by the very people it seeks to serve, and unaware of the opportunities for ministry that exist as the interest in things spiritual rises. Signs of Emergence challenges the church to face its fears and take a ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Signs of Emergence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs of Emergence

Robbie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed how the author brought several different areas of information into his book. There was a lot of poetry, discussions about art, science, etc. I also really enjoyed his discussion of change and his inclusion of waiting (or advent) as a precursor to change. However, I felt like his overall message was lost within those various discussions. I also would have liked him to elaborate more on his views of God, Christ, and scripture because I wasn't always sure where his view of church w ...more
Kate
Oct 18, 2007 rated it liked it
While I felt that Brewing presented some interesting ideas I found many of his statements about Churches with a highly structured governing body to be at best generalizations and at worst nasty stereotypes. I would have appreciated more specific accusations, as well as more specific statements about how the nature of the Emergent Church movement may eventually supersede these models. Overall I give this a major "eh".
Eric
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I'd never heard Brewin's idea about Judas before. Brewin presents that Judas, like most people of the time, hoped for Jesus to establish an earthly kingdom. By turning Jesus over to the Jewish leadership, Judas hoped to force Jesus' hand to respond violently and begin a revolution. Jesus instead chose to build his kingdom ground-up through evolution rather than a top-down revolution.
Edgar Cabello
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a very thought-provoking book. Brewin is not using the term emergence in the same sense as has gotten overdone. He is taking a hard look at leadership in a new age and is proposing some pretty interesting ideas concerning the essence of God. Pretty raw.
Chrisanne
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith
I liked this book. It is a compelling introduction to the emergent church. I will read and learn more. Loved his theory about Judas. So much in life frustrates our expectations. I know Brewin's Judas all too well!
David
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really great book my wife came across last week. First three chapters are full of highlights now cause its just that good. Recommend to all church leaders/planters. Good food for thought.
Jason
Mar 13, 2008 is currently reading it
This, so far, is outstanding!!!
Rj Grunewald
Oct 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
I read about 2/3 of the book and I just had to give up. I just couldn't finish it even though it was recommended as an amazing book.
Bryant Rudisill
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Such an amazing book! This is a must read. Don't judge the Emergent Church before you know what they even stand for. This isn't a knowledge that can be gained second hand. Just read the book.
Joel