Start by marking “School's Out Forever (The Afterblight Chronicles, #12)” as Want to Read:
School's Out Forever (The Afterblight Chronicles, #12)

School's Out Forever

(The Afterblight Chronicles #12)

“After the world died we all sort of drifted back to school. After all, where else was there for us to go?”

Lee Keegan’s fifteen. If most of the population of the world hadn’t just died choking on their own blood, he might be worrying about acne, body odour and girls. As it is, he and the young Matron of his boarding school, Jane Crowther, have to try and protect their char
Paperback, Omnibus, 736 pages
Published September 18th 2012 by Abaddon (first published December 28th 2002)

Cameron R
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I, like most people, read the first lines of this book and then immediately went to the checkout line.
"I CELEBRATED My fifteenth birthday by burying my headmaster and emptying my bladder on freshly turned earth. Best present a boy could have."
After making my way home I relaxed on my couch, opened School's Out Forever, and did not move until three in the morning. The first book was done. I preceded to read the next books the following two days. Sure the books were a little like Lord of The Flies
Travis
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin?

My first foray into the Afterblight Chronicles was the first book in the series, entitled "The Culled." It was a savage, mean bastard of a tale: violent, funny and hot-rod paced. I was left wanting more of this world, so I picked up "School's Out Forever."

It had everything I was expecting: vicious cults, action, humour and badassery on par with the Culled. But then there was something I didn't expect: heart.

I care about these characters. I felt like I went through every tragedy a
Buffy
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book. Holy wow. I had a serious book hangover after finishing it. (For those of you who don’t know what a book hangover is, it’s the inability to start a new book because you can’t stop thinking about the previous one.)

Nutshell blurb: A virus has swept across the globe killing everyone who does not have O-negative blood type. This is the story of the survivors who take shelter at a private boy’s school in Kent.

I feel that I need to start of by saying that even though this book is mainly abo
Tina Taylor
I am in awe of this Afterblight Chronicles omnibus but utterly heartbroken too. After the Cull, a plague that decimates the world's population, pupils and teachers start returning to their boarding school. All their loved ones are dead so it seems a sensible place to go, but the school bully returns too and the fact that the school has a Special Cadet Force means that he and his inner circle are quickly armed. He initiates them into doing some heinous things so he can control them. But there are ...more
Harmony
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an awesome book! I enjoyed every single page, including the interviews and bonus material at the end. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy post-apocalyptic stories. There may not be any zombies in it, but the living are far more scarier!

I enjoyed reading this book so much, I gave a copy of it to a friend for his birthday before I had even finished School's Out!

A+ Great job, Scott!
John
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is wrong to admit selecting a book for its cover? Well, take a look at the thing –– it's so compelling. Even author Scott K. Andrews admits the cover has helped U.S. sales of this omnibus. The gun toting school girl may be troubling, but it was enough to get me to read further. And yes, I bought an actual book -- made of paper not databits -- at my Newport Beach B&N.

I've lately become a big fan of dystopia. Perhaps this reflects my overall world view. For while I have never been happier i
Gavin Gates
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Certain things make any post apocalyptic novels an essential read for me, splatterhouse style blood and guts, what's left of society being ran by idiots, revolt, and some real bad taste tongue in cheek humour. All of the above are present in abundance, I had read the first two of these separately aswell as a couple of other novels in the 'afterblight chronicles' before being handed the omnibus for review and was over the moon with the thought of reading them again and also getting to finish the ...more
Elle Lawson
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I judged a book by its cover. I was making a return at Barnes & Noble and I bought The Hobbit and this book. I saw the cover and said "yup, buying it."

I was not disappointed, I loved this story. It was very violent and pretty graphic at times, but given the plot I wouldn't have expected it not to be.

There was only on bit that bothered me a little bit, because the never was discovered, anyone who's read it will know what I'm talking about when I say, The King. It only bothers me because ther
Sara
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read all of the books by way of this collection, so rather than reviewing them individually, I'll review each of them now, and I'll keep it short.

•Book 1, SCHOOL'S OUT: Hello this is Mac and he's here to fuck shit up because he's a sociopath and he likes to fuck shit up!

•Book 2, OPERATION MOTHERLAND: Hi, these are all the surviving military powers, and they're here to fuck all this shit up, in the name of God and Country and reasons! (And P.S., one word/name: Rowles.)

•Book 3, CHILDREN'S CRU
Nick
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
What if Golding had asked Rob Zombie to co-author 'Lord of the Flies' and they had modified the plot to bring the adults in early, and have them behave worse than the kids? Slogging through this literary bucket of viscera, was initially hopeful of something worthy, but the slasher moments are becoming highly repetitive. Maybe the point of this novel is no point at all, and I should skip to the last few pages.
Lili Tee
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's 3 AM, I started this book 9 hours ago, and didn't put it down until right now when I finished it.

Yeah. That was a damn good book. And while people may be deterred by the blatant deus ex machina that Andrews employs regularly, I still give him much kudos as a writer to explore the depths of psychopathy the way he does. Brilliant.
Shannon
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full of fast-paced suspense -- this novel is pretty brutal. A terrible virus has wiped out most people in the world - only people with o-negative blood have survived. The main character, Lee, makes his way back to his boarding school because it is the one place her feels community. A couple of teachers and about thirty other boys have the same idea. While this could be a good thing, One of the surviving boys is the school bully, Mac, and he decides he wants to be the one in charge. What follows ...more
Colin
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-sf-f
Do you know why I love Indian Jones? Because nothing is ever easy for him. He has his skills and his luck and even the occasional bravado-fueled quip, but for every step forward he takes he seems to take two steps back. Hollywood seems to have forgotten about the Indiana Jones brand of hero and even the last IJ movie was more Pirates of the Caribbean than anything else. Done well, I have no real problem with the Pirates' type of hero - they can be lots of fun - but my heart will always be with D ...more
C.J. Mugleston
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I usually dont make it through omnibusses or great hulking collections rolled into one book, but Scott Andrews held my interest.
Jessica Patzer
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not gonna lie, this book is intense. It just keeps dragging you along from one violent episode to the next. Pretty good though. Not the kind of stuff I usually go for, but pretty darn good.
A.D. Roland
School's Out Forever by Scott K. Andrews

AWEsome!! I grabbed this book on a whim while I was hunting down some over-priced Doctor Who merchandise in a bookstore. It took me two solid weeks to actually start it, and then three days to finish it. It's absolutely one of the best books I've read in a long.

It's brutal. Angry. Violent. Honest. The gore and carnage and violence is intense, but it's not gratuitous. It's not about shock-value. The characters reactions to what has happened to them is just
Stacey Douglas
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A post-viral apocalyptic trilogy (School’s Out, Operation Motherland, and Children’s Crusade), somewhat like Golding's Lord of the Flies, set in England's boarding schools countryside outside London. We follow the devolution of several characters, mainly children in their early teens, through various ethical dilemmas and the increasingly horrendous choices they must make in their bid for survival. The narrative keeps one wondering "just how are they going to make it out of this now?" - at times ...more
Mary Bryan
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that I never thought I'd ever read. Still, it called out to me at a visit to Barnes and Noble. The book zips right along and you find yourself really caring about the characters. Now, let me tell you, I've never thought of myself as a "Science Fiction" reader. And there are no aliens or spaceships or journeys to middle earth, etc. but that's the genre this book has been given. There are some moments where you roll your eyes at the convenience of someone getting out by ...more
Ruben
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Someone commented how they got book hangover after reading this, and I have to concur. This was one of those books that kept you up late into the night and I'd have dreams of the characters, wondering how their fate will play out. I love post apocalyptic, zombie, survival novels as I find the monsters turn out to be us in the end, having to make such terrible choices in order to preserve ones self or their family or friends. I'm going to have to search out the rest of the Afterblight Chronicles ...more
Meaghan Houle
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was never a reader until this book. The Way Andrews writes almost puts you into the story (well it did for me anyway). It was a great read and many other books he writes keep me entertained. School's Out Forever is very real saniro of what an apocilypse might look like. It is very fun to read and you never really know who is going to do what. Love this book, and if you like sience fiction, I highly recommend it.
Julie
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not normally the style of book I'd choose on my own, recommended by my mom...so I gave it a shot. Marvelous novel, well written, amazing characters who you cheer for as they struggle with the nastiness of a world ravaged by death and chaos. Had a Lord of the Flies meets Mad Max sort of feel. I blew threw this book in a couple days, great read.
Brent
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book (actually a three-book collection) turned out to be surprisingly good with a fleshed out plot and well written characters that beg compassion and empathy from the reader. I expected a trite, mishmashed collection of post-apocalyptic gore, but was pleasantly surprised by a narrative that while rough and unpolished in areas, shone brilliantly overall.
John Carlson
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!!! Loved every minute of it.. Three books in one, with action, romance and dystopian shadows. I can't wait till Scott K. Andrews comes out with another like this. Character development good -- teens, but fighting against self as well as enemies. The three great themes all in these pages. "Human against Nature, Human against human, and human against self."
OK, I gotta say, despite the violence this one is worth reading.
It's a page turner for sure, and it's well written with well built character, location, story.... if you can handle gore, go for it
Peter
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Best first sentence. Ever.
Anastasia
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was just wow.
The storyline and the characters were absolutely fantastic, and it's one of those books that I wanted to throw across the room at the plot twists.
Jim Short
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Post-apocalyptic vision - so depressing in that vein and the view of the majority of humanity. But well written, the characters are engaging and you really rout for them.
Angie Jenkins
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding, fast paced and well written. That being said, I would recommend it hesitantly as it is extraordinarily violent and features children committing horrific acts in the name of survival.
Ellie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apoc-scifi
Very good but really violent. Something I read when in that mood. Interesting idea of how a child's personality would change in difficult times.
Lew
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, books-owned
When I first saw Luke Preece's cover art for this book, I knew I had to read the book. I had not heard of the Afterblight Chronicle series before now but plan to read others in the series. This book includes three novels by Scott Andrews; School's Out, Operation Motherland and Children's Crusade. I enjoyed all three novels especially the first novel which is non-stop action. One's imagination is stretched on the second novel. The third novel slows a little due to the back story for one of the ma ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Where The Dead Men Lie (Secret Apocalypse, #3)
  • The Culled (The Afterblight Chronicles, #1)
  • Keystone (Gatewalkers, #1)
  • The McClane Apocalypse: Book 4
  • The Inferior
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
  • The Death Pit
  • Dawn of the Deed: The Prehistoric Origins of Sex
  • The Ruined City (The Veiled Isles Trilogy, #2)
  • Kynship (The Way of Thorn and Thunder, #1)
  • Dracula Unbound
  • Science Left Behind: Feel-Good Fallacies and the Rise of the Anti-Scientific Left
  • Omamori
  • Auschwitz Report
  • Courting the Darkness (Courting the Darkness #1)
  • The Gemini Virus
  • The Abandonment of the Jews: America and the Holocaust 1941-1945
  • Race, Monogamy, and Other Lies They Told You: Busting Myths about Human Nature
Scott K. Andrews has written episode guides, magazine articles, film and book reviews, comics, computer games, audio plays for Big Finish, far too many blogs, some poems you will never read, and a whole bunch of novels. He's online at www.scottkandrews.com.

The Afterblight Chronicles (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Culled (The Afterblight Chronicles, #1)
  • Kill or Cure (The Afterblight Chronicles, #2)
  • School's Out (The Afterblight Chronicles, #3)
  • Dawn Over Doomsday (The Afterblight Chronicles, #4)
  • Arrowhead (The Afterblight Chronicles, #5)
  • Operation Motherland (The Afterblight Chronicles, #6)
  • Death Got No Mercy (The Afterblight Chronicles, #7)
  • Broken Arrow (The Afterblight Chronicles, #8)
  • Children's Crusade (The Afterblight Chronicles, #9)
  • Arrowland (The Afterblight Chronicles, #10)