Start by marking “Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)” as Want to Read:
Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)

Out of Time's Abyss

(Caspak #3)

Arriving on Caspak to search for lost explorers Billings and Tyler, English seaman Bradley stumbles upon Caspak's final and most terrible secret and finds a forbidden love.
Published June 1st 1979 by Ace (first published November 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Time's Abyss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Time's Abyss

Evgeny
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The final book of the trilogy talks about a group of British men that left their fort in the land of dinosaurs to do some scouting.
T-rex
For this reason they had no clue what happened after their departure described in the first book and with people trying to rescue them - the story of the second book.

This time we plunge straight to the action and had some brief breathing time in the next-to-last chapter only. Mostly it is a story of the leader of the expedition Bradley and his misadventures. We fin
Kat  Hooper
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

In Out of Time’s Abyss, the last volume of Edgar Rice Burrough’s CASPAK trilogy, we learn what happened to Bradley, one of the adventurers we met in the first novel, The Land that Time Forgot. As we expected, Bradley has frightening adventures on Caspak, is nearly killed by lions, bears, tigers, dinosaurs, etc, and he saves and falls in love with a beautiful young damsel in distress.

In this installment, we meet the Wieroo, the
Carol Storm
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was 12 and absolutely loved it. Yet strangely, I never did get around to reading the first two books in the series. Now I'm trying to read the first book, THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT, since I got it for free on Amazon Kindle. So far it sucks.

This book seems to be the best of the three -- contrary to what other reviewers say. That's because it starts out where you're already in the world of the dinosaurs, and you can just roll into it, without having to waste dozens of page
John
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, pulp
The third and weakest entry in the CASPAK trilogy, OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS is too silly and implausible for readers to stay interested in all the world-building throughout. Burroughs should have just stuck with dinosaurs; instead, our hero is pitted against a race of bat/human hybrids with a convoluted evolutionary history that requires them to kidnap unwilling females in order to reproduce, and to become serial murderers in order to climb the social ladder. Our hero spends much of the book punching ...more
AndrewP
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The third and final book of the Caspak trilogy, although I use the term 'book' loosely as each one is less than 200 pages. To be fair, they were originally serialized as pulp fiction, so it's not surprising that they are relatively short.

Out of Times's Abyss was never made into a movie, but it would make a decent one I think. One thing the book does do, is nicely ties into the other two books and brings the series to an overall conclusion at the end. The final explanation of the evolution proces
Samantha Glasser
This is my favorite book of the Caspak series. It follows the excursion of a group of men who went exploring in the first book. One of them, Bradley gets kidnapped by a Wieroo, a winged man with claw-like hands and a dead man's eyes. He is taken as a prisoner to a small island next to Caspak where the Wieroos live. He learns they are a violent race of men who are decendants of the Galu, the highest form of human evolution. On their island, Bradley finds a girl and attempts to help her to safety. ...more
Ernest Solar
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs. His writing is timeless and simple. His stories are born out of his imagination. However, I could argue the stories he shares with us (the reader) could easily be glimpses of worlds that he has been privileged to see and feels compelled to share with us. We should all feel honored by what he has shared with us over 100 years ago!
Thom
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
The concluding book from this trilogy is somewhat derivative, going beyond what is normal for pulp. In addition to the same problems as the previous book, this one takes highly questionable "evolution" to extremes - the female lead here was once an egg, then a tadpole, then aquatic lizard, ape, then human. Germans return in full villainy, but then this story was published in late 1918.

Taken as a whole, the series isn't bad - but isn't particularly good either. I would recommend reading just the
Quicksilver Quill
The climactic finale of the Caspak trilogy, Out of Time’s Abyss is possibly the strangest, most creative, and most intense of the three books. Choosing an interesting and quite unexpected plotline, in this tale Burroughs follows the adventures of Bradley and his small group of men who had set out on an exploratory expedition in the first book only to disappear, their fate unknown . . . until now.

This was a great premise, although initially it took me a moment to remember exactly who Bradley was
Stephen Brooke
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One of the all-time great titles for a novel, isn’t it? The final of the three Caspak books, in some ways it is more reminiscent of a Barsoom adventure than its two predecessors—Burroughs’s favored lost-city-with-strange-inhabitants motif is added to the prehistoric dangers we’ve already seen.

It’s an odd mix but an inventive one, and it works. Overall, ‘Out of Time’s Abyss’ is perhaps the best of ERB’s short novels set in this world. The book also fully lays out the odd and rather preposterous s
Mark
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old ERB, you can still entertain 100 years later. Sure, you have some silly dialog and your books certainly don't often appeal to women but you write action scenes as well as anyone ever has.

Ray Bradbury said it well: "I love to say it because it upsets everyone terribly—Burroughs is probably the most influential writer in the entire history of the world," Bradbury said.
"By giving romance and adventure to a whole generation of boys, Burroughs caused them to go out and decide to become special.
Stuart
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
By the third Caspak book, it is clear that Burroughs' heroes and villains are pretty cookie cutter. Brave hero meets native girl, they fall in love through their shared ordeals and they defeat the villains.

With that said, the strength of this story is the interesting society he develops with the Weiroos. Through book 1 and 2 there have been hints about the winged creatures, but in this book we finally get to see why the other tribes fear them and why they are heading to an evolutionary dead end
Ringman Roth
Not too bad, but not as good as the previous, and the same "Guy gets separated from group, fights his way through hordes of critters while falling for a girl" story is getting old. The first one had the awesome submarine sequence in it, the second one tried to mix things up with a character and look at the deeper cultures of the races of Caspak, but this one seems more like a rehash of the second book. It throws in the race of the Wieroo, but they seem too one dimensional, and a bit ludicrous at ...more
John Peel
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Caspak trilogy answers the various questions raised by the first two books. Adventure as only Burroughs could do, with the usual array of improbable coincidences that Burroughs reveled in. A nice conclusion to the storyline.
Leothefox
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Caspak trilogy closes with a story of yet another protagonist, a Brit named Bradley, and the answer to all the eerie mysteries about that island that time forgot!

The third-person yarn begins by showing the other side of some of the closing events of “The Land That Time Forgot”, namely what happened to the crew after the shelling of Fort Dinosaur by the German U-boat. Bradley and the rest are abducted one by one by the winged humanoid Weiroos, and soon Bradley is in the Weiroo city.

Edgar
Philip
Very strange book, right from the cover, which for some reason shows a girl riding a centaur...because there ARE no centaurs in this story. There are creepy flying white "humans," but nothing like this - incredibly sloppy work by the publisher (I'm assuming).

And then the story itself is kind of odd, too. It's the third book in Burroughs' Land That Time Forgot series, but doesn't tie at all to the second book (which I haven't read because my library doesn't have it) - but doesn't need to either;
Mh430
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The two leads in this installment of the series were okay, and the Wieroo city where much of action takes place was vividly depicted, but I still rate this novel as one of ERB's least satisfying works. For one thing the ending manages to be both anticlimactic and rushed. I could have overlooked that but after two earlier books detailing the many wonders of Caspak and the bizarre local manner in which evolution has, well, evolved, I expected Burroughs to offer some sort of explanation for how it ...more
Vicky Hunt
Out of Time's Abyss certainly brings the Caspak series out of the slump it had descended to in book #2. Both the action and storyline improved dramatically, though the start was a bit sudden and with out a real introduction. Maybe ERB perceived the lack of action in the last book and wanted to start off running. Either way, this one had a good ending... really perfect for this series.

I've had a brief introduction to the Princess on Mars, having read only the first book in that series. But, I'm
Katia M. Davis
If I was a teenage boy in 1918 reading the Blue Book magazine, I'd probably give this five stars. My copy replicates the original publication text. It is supposed to be a great tale of adventure and survival against the odds, with fantastic creatures and daring escapes. I found the characters two dimensional, with chest beating men and vapid women requiring rescue. There was an element of propaganda considering its publication date - the Germans were either evil and cruel, or would turn traitor ...more
Kent
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The final chapter in the Caspak series. Truth be told, these c0uld have all been one 3-part book. Whatever. This is probably my favorite of the series. I felt this had more action and narrow escapes that reminded me of the Martian novels, which were considerably better.
This story finds Bradly, who was one of the crew from the first book, being kidnapped by the demonic Wieroo and him finding his way back to the camp. Of course he finds himself a dame on the way. It wouldn't be a classic ERB nove
Theresa
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last in the Caspak trilogy.

This is Bradley’s story of his party’s journey from Fort Dinosaur towards the surrounding cliffs. After he is captured by the Wieroos we get a nice, but slightly gruesome picture of their culture. Then, after his escape the three books all wrap up nicely.

Footnote: They always seem to find a girl captive or companion to rescue or travel with thus ending up falling in love and going through the hard decision on whether to stay together. Even if the girl and/or guy have s
Cade
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed like an afterthought to wrap-up a trilogy. All these books move along at a good clip, but this one seems downright rushed. Like the others in the series, the good guys are faultlessly noble, brave, industrious, clever, etc. Also, there is a strong yet tender and devoted woman to fall in love with. If you've read the first two, you might as well finish this one just for completeness because it is so short. Definitely don't read this one our of order.
Rachel
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Heavens, what an abrupt ending. I don't mind some loose threads; after all, life rarely grants us neat, tidy stories wrapped up with ribbon. But I would like something of an denouement. This felt more like running out of word count or allotted pages, or perhaps that the intended 4th installment was cancelled, but its ending tacked onto the 3rd.
Liz
To really enjoy this hot mess of a book, you have to listen to the John Wayne narrator on Librivox. High-pitched weiroo, Irish?, German/Dutch accents. The voice work put into it is just spectacular. Cracked me up when he said "ejaculate" in chapter 5 in his chill cowboy tones.
Eloise Sunshine
The absurdities of the human evolution on Jurassic island continue and take wilder paths than in earlier books. The protagonist finds his true love and they live happily ever after once they've escaped from the captivity in the city of winged humans.
Patrick Gibson
Last book in a trilogy -- and probably the best of the lot. Burroughs we prolific in cranking out these tales. Basically, I am catching up on a lot of his stuff I should have read when I was twelve. 'Entertaining' is probably the best I say about most of his writing.
Joe Collins
Audiobook

I think this was the weakest of the trilogy. It was okay, but I really wished he stuck with a lost world with a more realistic evolution cycle. The author clearly started with a crazy evolution cycle from the beginning of the trilogy.
Jonathan Brown
Follows the adventures of Bradley and his crew after they get lost. Bradley is captured, escapes, and like the protagonists of the other two books, falls in love with a native. They kill most of the Germans, and everyone from the trilogy goes back to the real world to live happily ever after.
Mary
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series! Very much in the spirit of Jules Verne! What an imagination!
Robert burke
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and last of the Caspak novels. Last read this series around 1964, still enjoy the novels of Burroughs. Not great literature but fun, escapism from the world around us.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Del Rey cover for ERB Out of Time's Abyss 3 14 May 26, 2018 02:25PM

• The Hand of Fu-Manchu
  • Star Hunter
  • Worms of the Earth (Bran Mak Morn)
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Dinotopia: First Flight
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • The Sky So Big and Black (Century Next Door, #4)
  • Masters Of The Pit Or Barbarians Of Mars (Michael Kane, Vol. 3)
  • Doc Sidhe
  • The Quiet Earth
  • The Dark World
  • The Two Faces of Tomorrow
  • King Kong
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.

Caspak (3 books)
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)