Start by marking “Married to a Stranger” as Want to Read:
Married to a Stranger

Married to a Stranger (Danger and Desire (Shipwreck) #3)

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Sophia Langley's life is in turmoil. When she learns of her estranged fiancé's death in a shipwreck, the last thing she expects is for his twin brother, Callum Chatterton, to make a shock proposal!Her inner romantic objects to a marriage of convenience—and brooding Cal makes it very clear that's all it can be. Yet to save her family Sophia accepts with trepidation—and a hi ...more
Published March 20th 2012 by Harlequin (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Married to a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Married to a Stranger

Carrie Olguin
Jun 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF.

When she was seventeen, the heroine became engaged to the hero's twin brother who then traveled to India wihtout her to seek his fortune.

TEN YEARS later, her betrothed (still not husband) died in a storm on the ocean (no body found, so I suspect he may rise again later on in the story. Just a suspicion, not a fact since I didn't finish the story).

TEN YEARS. Do I need to say it again? Engaged for TEN YEARS. The best years of her life, her betrothed out of the country. She'd long fallen out of
Zimt
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and final book centering around a Shipwreck in the Miniseries: Danger & Desire, a trilogy billed as "Shipwreck, Scandal, and Society Weddings".
In "Married to a Stranger", a marriage of convenience becomes something more, but neither party is brave enough to speak up.

Ten years after the twins left for India, only one twin, the wrong one, comes back. Cal is finally a man with 27 years of age and he has a prosperous career before him, all that is missing is a wife. Sophia seems perfec
Amanda
Jun 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: brain-junk-food
This book was just so much BLAH!!! There was just not much of a plot, at all! I couldn't believe that within the first chapter the guy proposes! The author couldn't have dragged out a little bit of a courtship there? At all?? Give me a break! The rest of the book was all about them adjusting to being married to each other and I tell you what..... it was pretty darn boring. There was no plot, beyond that... at all... I had no clue this was the third book in a series and you may think that I may h ...more
Olivia Emerton
Really wanted to enjoy this after reading "One night with a rake", was sadly disappointed.

I hate to be brutally honest, though wish there had been more to sink my teeth into. It sadly seemed to lack a plot and lacked chemistry between the main characters. To me it seemed she fell in love with him only a days into their marriage but how and why? What made her fall for him in such a short time considering he was closed off, reserved and practically a stranger?
Unfortunately I found it boring, rep
Kristina
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I actually read this book. The plot was horrifically boring. I felt no chemistry between the characters. It seemed forced in writing the whole way through. A story of girl who is betrothed, to a twin, and he dies so the brother marries her out obligation or love? It could have been better. Way better.
Linda Wu
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The setup was decently done. But after that it was neither angsty nor particularly funny.
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical

This is the third installment of Danger and Desire series. This where we learn about what happen to Callum Chatterton. In the first book, we learn that Daniel drown in the sea. So, we have Callum dealing with the aftermath of the wreckage. We would know that Callum was suffer from PTSD, however, back then it wouldn't diagnois and they would get over it.

Well, Callum has decide to do his duty and take care of his brother's bethrothed. What better way to do that than to marry her? Sophia Langley h
Tasneem
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
For once I read a series in correct order the first time around. And I must say that I wasn't expecting much for Callum. Perdita and Alistair, Averil and Luc were just so intriguing, but Callum came across as staid and solid. For this reason, I was even more pleasantly surprised. I found that his strength and solidity were a vital part in the narrative. His control made the change of falling in love more believable, and the plot that much more acceptable too.

Sophia is wonderful. I felt for her.
Violet Banerjee
Marriage is hard work, but Sophia Langley and Callum Chatterton have decided to make a go at it. A decade earlier Sophia was betrothed to Callum’s twin, Daniel, before the two brothers set off to make their fortune with the East India Company. Callum, however, is the only brother to return. Pushed into the married through a combination of necessity and obligation they muddle along as best they can, each hoping to find contentment—love seems out of the question, though desire sparks before the vo ...more
Caro
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h-mnb-s
This was pretty good. I loved the characters and their personalities. This was a good book with plenty of emotions, a little heart-wrenching, some good humor, some 'people' I wanted to definitely smack upside the head (or simply step on their skirts...rip...it would have been more satisfying seeing their faces for that...mwah ha ha), a few moments I wanted to knock the leads heads together, great friends, and a sweet and happy ending. Good for cuddling up, snuggling in and relaxing with somethin ...more
Kim
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first two books in the Shipwrecks trilogy enough to anticipate the third. Unfortunately, I was highly disappointed. I honestly never connected with Cal and Sophia, which made it difficult for me to enjoy their story. The conflicts that threaten their happiness throughout the book never felt big enough to be the cause of such dramatic separations. The only saving grace of this book was the ability to revisit the characters from the first two books in the trilogy.

Final thoughts: If y
Gail
Good read. The heroine got engaged to the hero's twin brother years ago and has fallen out of love with him since, but her family has been living on her expectations of marrying, so when the fiancé dies, they're in trouble. The hero's proposal would help, but she's not sure she should. But of course she does. It's a good story, but there are some leftovers from earlier books that didn't mesh real well in this one. Still, it's a good story.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Danger & Desire

"Allen delivers a lovely, sweet story demonstrating how strangers can build a relationship based on lost love. The gentle, yet powerful emotions of a grieving brother are sure to touch readers, as will the budding romance between him and a shy but emotionally strong woman." RT Book review, 4 stars
Karen
This is the first time I've read this author and would definitely look for more from Louise Allen. So many people I know roll their eyes if you're reading a Mills and Boon book but I always enjoy those that I do read, and I must say I don't read that many. They are inexpensive and reliable as a quick and easy read.
Deanna
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
A good, quick romantic read. I love a dark, brooding, mysterious hero and this book delivered on that. In the middle of the book I was begging for the characters to just communicate with one another and finally they did and the ending was good.
Stevie Carroll
Third in the series that I started reading in the middle. This had a lot of elements to recommend it, but was let down by the circumstances of the misunderstandings between the various characters. I'd have prefered more emphasis on the hero and heroine's interests in art.
Tilda

One more 19th century story with a overdose of decorum obsession. I'll never get the reason behind this menace.Like real decency was not good enough and they needed to be chained by iron rules, unfit for any human being.Well, they certainly ruin my mood
Larissa Saravia
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book , but I felt that something was missing
Lisa
Enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. Won't reread again and again, but will seek out other books by this author
Donna
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DNF
Kim
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was a little more detail, but I found these characters' lack of communication far more realistic and understanding than just about any other romance book that I've read!!
Jambarie
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not realize until after I had read that this was actually a trilogy. Will be looking for the other two.
Artemissia
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une romance historique sympathique sans être transcendante. On passe un bon moment.

Ma chronique : http://songedunenuitdete.com/2013/06/...
Tanya
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was the perfect conclusion to the trilogy. I lives it it was everything a story has to be, and more. ❤
Frances
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgian
Except for underdeveloped characters and a boring plot, this was not a terrible book, just not recommended.
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Angela
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Segundo libros que leo de esta autora y me gusto muchísimo. Seguiré leyéndola.
Cheryl Mclaws
Laura Darcy
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Ladies in Disgrace #1)
  • Captain Corcoran's Hoyden Bride
  • Montana Bride
  • A Question of Impropriety
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Gentlemen of Disrepute #1)
  • The Laird's Forbidden Lady (Gilvrys Of Dunross, #1)
  • Marriage of Mercy
  • The Bride Sale
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • The Shy Duchess
  • Bartered Bride
  • Mutual Consent
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • The Notorious Knight (King John, #2)
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • The Bargain Bride

This author also writes under the name Francesca Shaw.

I have had my nose buried in a history book - fact or fiction - for as long as I can remember, but even more important to me are the places and the objects that conjure up the past. My first attempt at historical fiction
More about Louise Allen...

Danger and Desire (Shipwreck) (3 books)
  • Ravished by the Rake
  • Seduced by the Scoundrel (Mills & Boon Historical) (Danger & Desire, Book 2)