Start by marking “Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales, #2.5)

Winning the Wallflower (Fairy Tales #2.5)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  3,911 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews

It could only happen in a fairy tale.

Lady Lucy Towerton:
Plain and tall. (According to the lady herself.)
Titled and irreproachably proper. (According to her fiancé.)

Until, overnight, she becomes

Lady Lucy Towerton:
Heiress. (Thanks to an aged aunt’s bequest.)
Belle of the ball. (So say the fortune hunters of the ton.)

In charge of her own destiny (finally!), Lucy breaks her e

Published December 6th 2011 by Avon Romance

To ask other readers questions about Winning the Wallflower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning the Wallflower

Christina ~ Brunette Reader
3,5 Stars

A shy wallflower and a starchy hero who badly needs a little bit of scandal to un-starch.
Sparkly banter and humour for a sweet and sexy short story, which still allows for characters growth thanks to the flawless writing and a lively pace.
A nice addition to James's Regency Fairy Tales series, but that can be totally enjoyed as a standalone as well.

Buddy-read with Anna :)
Laura the Highland Hussy
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it

4.5 flames
This was a wonderful little story about a girl who feels tall and awkward, so when the most handsome man in Society asked her to marry him-even though she knew it was because she couldn't say no (she thinks she has no prospects), and she knew he needed her title (his mother caused a scandal when she was younger by marrying beneath her station)- Lucy says yes.

Cyrus has a Plan, that's Plan with a capital "P." Nothing on his list involves any form
kris
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lady Lucy Towerton no longer needs to marry her fiance, the right proper Mr. Cyrus Raventhorpe. So she dumps his ass, which leads to Cyrus realizing that his grinch-like heart is actually full of love--for his former fiancee. SUCK THAT ALLITERATION, CYRUS.

I ENJOYED THIS. Cyrus does a 180 and becomes an entirely different man, but eh. And everything felt a bit rushed, but then this is a novella. I acknowledge the format constraints. But I did like Cyrus's original character: the stodgy, uptight
Chitra *CJ*
“But I wouldn’t care if the world knew how much I loved you,” he said, the words leaping from some place deep in his heart. “I wouldn’t even care because I—I want you more than anything I’ve ever wanted in my life.”

Ah this novella.. SO MUCH LOVE!
"Winning the Wallflower" is the story of Lucy Towerton and Cyrus Ravensthorpe.
Lucy, a tall destitute wallflower is engaged to Cyrus, the brooding, starchy man of the gentry. When she comes into an unexpected fortune, while her mother plans to break the
Beanbag Love
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A novella that also serves as a prequel for the next book: The Duke is Mine. This is my first Eloisa James and I really enjoyed her writing. The story is very simple which makes sense as it's so short, but it was engaging throughout.

What was truly diabolical, though, was the inclusion of the first three chapters of each of the other books in the "Fairy Tales" series. I've ordered all that are available now and I'll be gorging myself on smart heroines and difficult heroes for the holidays.

I'm re
Bridgett
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
What a silly little book! Certainly not correct in the details, but oh so funny written!
Sometimes I don't mind a little incorrectness in a historical romance. So what if it isn't accurate and the heroine blurts out some phrases that nobody back then would have understood? Does the story flow? Do you want to read just one more line? Then it's a good book! Job well done! :)

I like romance novels now and again. I like them to be a bit steamy even. I LOVE historical romance novels. So when I stumbled
namericanwordcat
Oh, this little novella is grand. What a wonderful love story.

The heroine comes into her own. The hero wakes up. There is banter, heat, and courting.

I loved it to pieces.
Missy
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A 3.5 out of 5. A nice, quick read. This book kind of have an "unrequited love gets requited" trope to it. I found the moments when the H/h were in each other's arms and whenever they kissed just so sweet and romantic!

The synopsis doesn't tell us anything about the hero, so here goes. Possible spoilers ahead. (view spoiler)
Becky
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I loved this story! My only complaint is that I wish it had been longer. Almost half of the novella's pages are actually sneak peaks for other Eloisa books, which is fine except that as I was keeping an eye on where I was (page-wise) while I was reading it I was quite surprised when it just suddenly ended. I would have loved to have seen a bit more at the end, although the epilogue was fantastic.

Favorite parts of the novella:

Lucy--great character. I loved how she ended up coming into her own an
Becca
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Winning the Wallflower was sweet. I have learned from EJ stories that I often enjoy her novellas more than her novels. In her novellas, there is less angst, fewer secondary characters,and a happier story.

As a side note, We also meet Olivia from The Prince is Mine in this novella. Upon meeting her, I'm convinced that I would not like her story...I did not like her! More support for me to stick with novellas!

However, I did like Lucy, the star of this tale. She was betrothed to a handsome man who
Aly is so frigging bored
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Evereyone, even if they don't love historical romance
A delightful novella from Eloisa James. She is one of my favorite authors ever, and I don't care how many times I'll repeat that.

Even though it was short, it had very likable characters. Lucy was so funny and smart, I love that in a heroine. I liked that she decided she wouldn't settle for someone who didn't love her, not may HR heroines care about that. Cyrus was so proper, arrogant and had a temper, even though he seemed so stayed, my favorite type of hero :D they go down so hard that it's a p
Sha Mslvoe
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wish the story was a little longer.
Lori McD

This is a charming little novella that shows the true power that women have -- only available once we realize just who we are and what we want. It's a tidy little lesson in self-confidence and in seeing ourselves through others' eyes. Yes, sometimes others' eyes can be harsh; but often, our own are so much harsher.

Lady Lucy Towerton is engaged to be married to Cyrus Ravensthorpe. Ravensthorpe is quite tall, quite beautiful, and quite aloof. He asked Lucy's father for her hand, but never
Anne

After reading The Duke Is Mine (#3 in her Fairy Tales series), I wasn't chomping at the bit to jump back into that world. I didn't find the last book's characters all that fascinating, and there was such a slim connection to the fairytale that I felt kind of ripped off. This book wasn't much different in terms of the 'fairytale' part. I still have no idea if it was based on any particular one, 'cause it seemed more like a general Poor Girl Gets Some Money kind of story to me.
But at lea
Dragana
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This is not a sequel to When Beauty Tamed the Beast, it is not related to that book in any way. This is a prequel to The Duke Is Mine. I usually like historical romances with wallflower theme, but this novella did not manage to engage my attention.
Nikki
4 stars.

This cute, fun novella is a great segue into the soon-to-be-released The Duke Is Mine and reminds me of what attracted me to Eloisa James in the first place. Well-written and humourous, it was a sweet holiday read that has me excited to receive my pre-ordered copy of TDIM.
Michelle Connolly
This is the second book I've read by Eloisa James and I'm sorry to say I was disappointed again. The writing didn't do it for me and there was just something missing.
I have a lot of books by her stored in my kindle, so I hope I find at least one favourite among them.
Quinn's Book Nook
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard about Winning the Wallflower by Eloisa James, the premise really appealed to me. I finally found a copy through my library's Overdrive site, and jumped right in. Winning the Wallflower was such a fantastic novella! I don't know why I have only read one other Eloisa James book. I need to read more of her books.

Winning the Wallflower is about Lucy Towerton, who is not the belle of the ball in the Ton. She's extremely tall which has made her very self-conscious. She is engaged to
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Lucy evolved from a self-conscious Wallflower to a frank-talking young woman who would not settle for anything less than a true partnership. At first, I felt Lucy's transformation was abrupt and not properly set up, but the courtship between Lucy and her suitor was endearing. They were bravely honest with each other without any of the usual plot twists found in historical romances.

This novella is very short, ending at the 52% mark and followed by samples of other Eloisa James' books. If you've
Inshirah Kamal
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
what do you think is the loveliest sight on earth?

“ ‘Some think an army of horsemen, some think an army on foot, some think a fleet of ships in the dark of night is the loveliest sight.’ ”
“ ‘But I think the loveliest sight on this dark earth is whatever one most desires.’ ”
Julia
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wish this had been longer. The characters deserved a longer story.
Romancing the Book
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
Reviewed by Marissa
Book provided by the author for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Lucy Towerton who, just as her name suggests, towers over most men of the ton, is a wallflower – a woman destined to sit on the sidelines and watch while other women dance. She is currently engaged, thanks to an arranged marriage, to Cyrus Ravensthorpe, a businessman and the son of a lawyer and a duchess. Lucy’s mother would rather her marry someone of the ton, someone without scandal (Cyrus’s
Rowena
Winning the Wallflower by Eloisa James. Eloisa James write fabulous historical romances and I knew that I was going to like this one because Ames liked it. We have similar reading tastes so I went into this one with high hopes and those hopes definitely played out well for me.

Lucy is a wallflower. She’s always overlooked and partying in the corner with the other wallflowers at every ball. When Cyrus asks for her hand in marriage, her parents grudgingly accept. They don’t want Cyrus in the family
Lucy doesn't hold out much hope for her chances of marrying for love, she is taller than most men and rarely even gets asked to dance at the balls she attends. When Cyrus asks her to marry him she knows it is only because he wants her title. His mother caused a scandal when she married a mere solicitor and Cyrus is determined to win back the family status. Lucy is attracted to him though and secretly quite pleased to be marrying him. Everything changes when she becomes an heiress, suddenly she h ...more
A.
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: that-s-amore
Noooooo, why did it eeeeeeend? I wanted it to just go on and on - mostly because I wanted to see Lucy and Cyrus really fall in love. That happened in a blur, didn't it? They just fell right in. But I'm all right with that because this novella is D for DELIGHTFUL. I very much enjoyed the emphasis on respect and communication, and Cyrus' honesty - his ability to accept valid criticisms of his character and actions, and to then improve upon himself - was as welcome as Lucy's recognition of her own ...more
Robin
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lucy Towerton is relieved when Cyrus Ravensthorpe requests her hand in marriage. She knows she is overly tall and will not have many chances to marry. But after becoming engaged, Cyrus really doesn't pay much attention to her. When Lucy receives an unexpected inheritance, she becomes an heiress who no longer has to marry an untitled Cyrus. Lucy doesn't know what to do. Should she break off her engagement to her fiance, or let them be caught in a compromising situation to ensure a marriage.

This w
Julie
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Winning the Wallflower by Eloisa James is a short story /novella set in the Regency period. Lucy's very tall and thinks she's plain. She is betrothed to Cyrus, but he doesn't appear interested in Lucy so much as he is her title. But, at least he is nice to look at. But then Lucy inherits a fortune. Now Cyrus finds his engagement broken. He also finds that he really wants Lucy and not just her title. But, he'll have to convince her.
I loved how Lucy calls Cyrus out about his initial motives. She f
Kathie (katmom)
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a charming novella!

SHE is tall, she thinks TOO tall...she IS a wallflower.

Which is why HE chooses to propose to her.

HE doesn't want "fuss" in his life. Surely this tall woman, who sits along the walls won't EVER be a scandal in his life.

That was before Lucy received a HUGE inheritance...and her mother insists she dump Cyrus...

But she doesn't WANT to, he's gorgeous...and she's attracted.

She kisses him...and WOWZA...he kisses her back...and he's knocked asunder...then she dumps him...

I lo
Suzie Quint
3.5 stars.

A sweet, charming novella. The plot is a simple and straight-forward. Given that it's a novella, that's to be expected, but it's why I prefer longer stories, but given the length, it's delightful.
Carolyn F.
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this story. I use the word "love" too much, how about - I just adore this story. Had me smiling and crying. I'm a sucker for hurt feelings - I always feel bad for the underdog. Wonderful love story, great ending.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 28, 2015 10:19AM
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
  • Unlocked (Turner, #1.5)
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
  • Seducing Mr. Knightly (The Writing Girls, #4)
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2)
  • The Art of Duke Hunting (Royal Entourage, #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more
More about Eloisa James...

Fairy Tales (5 books)
  • A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales, #5)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“In case there is any question in your mind," he said, cupping her face with his hands. "What I want, what I most desire, the loveliest sight on this dark earth, is you.” 11 likes
“Yes, it's quite amazing how I continue to shock my mother even after all these years together” 9 likes