Start by marking “Space” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  4,765 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
In his dramatic and compelling way of bringing history to life, Michener now tells the thrilling story a a 20th-century space development.
Mass Market Paperback, 815 pages
Published 1992 by Manderin Paperback (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Space, please sign up.

Tara I can't recall the exact level of detail he may go into regarding any sexual encounters/intimacy between characters, or the use of foul language, but…moreI can't recall the exact level of detail he may go into regarding any sexual encounters/intimacy between characters, or the use of foul language, but as I recall, neither is completely missing from this book. It's not a romance novel, but it is also not directed at such a young audience.

The storyline is engaging & well written, and I remember reading it in high school - the subject matter was interesting enough to keep me engaged, and looking up information I was unsure about. The author also explains a number of unique scientific concepts.

Overall, I would recommend your son wait until he is in high-school to read this on his own, mainly because of the adult perspectives in regards to relationships.(less)

Jess
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On my list of favorite books now. My husband gave this to me when we were dating - a surprise package sent in the mail through a secondhand bookstore. I put off reading it because I was afraid I wouldn't like it - it would be dated, too detailed (my mom hates Michener for this reason), and I've seen 'The Right Stuff.' But reading it was more proof that he knows me too well.

Michener may be too detailed for some, but I loved the way he built this story bit by bit. There's a passage in the book wh
Jim
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting & well written. The most readable book he's written, in my opinion. Maybe it was just that I found the subject matter so interesting. It's a good start to the U.S. space program, but certainly not all inclusive. He could easily have expanded this to a trilogy. If it had any failing, it was the limits of the book.
Mark Stephenson
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published 32 years ago, this entertaining and enlightening novel evidences Michener's high opinion of such science fiction writers as Clarke, Weinbaum and Leiber as well as reservations about some tendencies of this popular genre. He even indulges himself a bit in it by creating a fictional account of an Apollo 18 voyage to explore the other side of the moon. A bit disconcerting is his creation of two fictional US states, Fremont and Red River which have elected Republican and Democratic senator ...more
William
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Having both a great deal of science and politics, Kyle and I found it easy to like this book. I enjoyed the problems and discussions that went into launching our first rockets. Even the political side of this book flowed smoothly and brought the story together for the reader. 'Space' tries to get all of the viewpoints of the space race while maintaining Michener's ideas and thoughts on what should have happened. It is always nice to be able to look on the past to see where we went wrong. This bo ...more
Pilouetta
this is the size of what i like to call, an airplane book. long enough to occupy me during the multifarious experience of air travel. and a plus that i am a space aficionado, a fan, though not quite fanatic. read this book because i am fascinated in the space program and the character of man (in most cases) that realized this impossible seeming vision. a man like my father, an engineer for boeing during the apollo period, and lived at cape canaveral nee kennedy space station, and me celebrating ...more
Sally
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All 832 pages were well worth the effort. This is truly an American story with insights into the families of the USA Space Program and how it grew. The astronaughts, the test pilots, the politicians, and others--all come off as real human beings with aspirations, disappointments, and achievements. This book is very different from Michener's other books--less history and more current events. Many strong characters and many very weak ones.
Zachary Stewart
I read this book to get out of my comfort zone but I think I'm ready to get back into it.

This is the first Michener I've ever read so I did not really know what to expect. It is a fictional account of people working along side the actual U.S. space program. Main characters include a German rocket engineer, a United States astrophysicist, a U.S. test pilot/astronaut, and a U.S. Senator, along with their wives an a multitude of other characters.

My big problem with this book is that the fictional
Bob
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great parallel to the drama of the real space race. The narrative whips through years in the span of paragraphs – all in the name of rushing to the ultimate triumph of the moon landings.

The book’s latter theme of scientific knowledge vs. religion is just as contemporary now as it was 28 years ago – and with the current state of NASA – with the retirement of the Shuttle and the uncertainty of the Constellation program – the fate of Michener’s fictional space program might actually become our real
Stephen Gagin
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book back in 1979 when I was going through Basic Dive School in Washinton DC. It was a great read and it kept me pumped to hit the books and pass the school. This is an excellent fictional account of our early space program. I don't think the behind the scenes Machiavellian twists and plots were far from reality.
Stefan Ellis
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boeke
Michener's portrayal of the lives of the individuals who participated in the space race, is entertaining. His novel starts at the end of the Second World War when the scientists were acquired, through Korea when the astronauts were formed, into the great Space Race and the Apollo moon-landings.

Anybody who has ever looked up at the stars at night will greatly enjoy this book.
Peter Meredith
I liked this book. However, THE RIGHT STUFF is a far more worthwhile read on the same subject. SPACE is workman like and well, plodding. It's not exactly dull, but it takes its time getting anywhere.
If you love science/fiction(not science fiction mind you)books by the likes of Carl Sagan, then Space will leave you feeling blah.
Aaron Lecciones
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that started my love-affair for all books James Michener. I especially love his talk about WWII when the scientists had to be found and captured before the Russians did and then transported to an American facility in the middle of the US. Anyway, read the book, learn about history and fall in love with his epic novels!
Jim
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A veritable door-stopper of a book (aren't all Michener's? ed.) and a barn-storming read to boot!

Very engaging, always interesting and in light of the recent sacrifices made by the space program, a testament to why we reach for the stars . . ad astra per aspera indeed.
Emily
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful historical fiction about the development of the space program and the people involved. It made me choose my degree. Michener can be very hard to read but they're always so informative and developed wonderfully.
Jonnie Enloe
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all his books, a good leisurely read in his personal style. Well researched as in all his writing. He is underappreciated which will cure itself in another 100 years.
Charles
a massive achievement. Not that great a story, but a great collection of research.
Steve
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the trip to the moon itself, my odyssey with Space has finally been concluded...and it only took three years to complete!

I'm really, really, really torn on how to rate this book. There were parts I definitely got into and was, frankly, fascinated by. Those pieces were 4 star, bordering on 5. But there were slower parts and the historical inaccuracies doomed this to a three for me.

Nuts and bolts, this is a fictionalized look at the Space program through the eyes of 4 people (a washington sen
Cameron Roubique
Finally finished this long slow book. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it or anything. i always find something of value in a Michener book, but Space wasn't nearly as fun or enjoyable as Hawaii, Centennial, or Chesapeake. It was almost as long as those books and covered less history. Maybe just the concept of Space made me half expect a science fiction book, and this is definitely not that.

The long political passages were really tough for me to get through, especially considering what a depress
Du
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. My first Michener book. It had a lot of the components I like: historic backdrop, characters who evolve, plot that has value to the story and a decent pace for an 800 page book. There were a few characters that seem dated especially the reporter and the cult leader. There are some elements that seem dated as well, such as the latent racism and some of the stylistic breaks, but those aren't offensive, just dated.
Krista-Eve
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the long chapters that seem to follow an organized stream of consciousness can run on forever overall the book is very well mapped out and arranged neatly. As for the story itself, it's a thrilling novel that captures the space age perfectly and allows a look into the lives of these very real people. Overall the story, characters, and plot is well thought out and written. Definitely planning on reading more of his works.
Nabila
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space
I expected this book to be about real space programs and the actual people involved. However, I'm a little disappointed that real Mercury/Gemini/Apollo missions were only briefly mentioned. In fact, a large portion of this book actually has little to do with space, and more about the main characters' past and families. But this book is called fiction for a reason.
Apoorva Zaveri
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Michener. I was so awed by his writing style that he became my idea of the perfect author. Hats off to this legend. The most beautiful quote that comes to my mind goes something like....."sometimes you go faster by slowing down".
Terri
This was not one of Michener's better books.
There was a good deal of boring number recitation.
IMO, the best part of the book was his description of the dumbing down of America, the need to "go back" to simpler times, believing the earth was only 6,000 years old and disregarding science. He was right on the money describing the societal causes of this type of movement. Dr. Strobismus was a very scary but recognizable character. There are many like him in the Congress of the United States.
Perha
Kate Elizabeth
Probably the hardest book I've ever read? Michener is tedious and kind of incredible, and finishing one of his sagas feels like a big accomplishment.
Cait
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got about 70% of the way through this and had to give it up; I just didn't care enough about the characters and numerous plotlines to read anymore of this exceedingly long story.
Julie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space

Another great epic from James Michener. I absolutely love all of his books. I would recommend this book and it's author.
Zahed
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A high school favourite of mine - very few books have left such a memorable imprint as this has for me.

Reading it the second time around has not disappointed.
Izak Olson
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was masterfully written about one of America's greatest accomplishments, NASA and its space program.This is one of Michener's most readable books considering that it is all a true story (depending who you ask). this book tells about how NASA's space program started with Nazi terror weapons at the end of the second world war. This is the telling of how we went to the moon.
Many people don't know the whole story of our space race against the Soviet Union, but in this gripping book James M
Alex Lee
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michener shows us with clarity, at least in this fictional account, how the Military Industrial complex (MI) and Space connect with national pride. While at times this book is plodding and somewhat uninteresting, we get a sense of what it took for men of vision, who were willing to work within the rationality of a hierarchy to get something like the space program going for humankind. That in itself is a monumental feat, one that deserves recognition. The times that Michener shows us that hierarc ...more
Tim
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give it five stars but I disagreed with Professor Mott so much at the end that four is the best I can do.
Goodreads Librari...: Multiple page numbers for the same ISBN? 2 19 Apr 27, 2013 08:47PM
Your thoughts on the era explored in "Space" 2 14 Nov 14, 2012 02:34PM
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon
  • The Emperor's General
  • TekLords (TekWar, #2)
  • Freedom: A Novel of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War
  • The Glory (The Hope and the Glory, #2)
  • California Gold
  • The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight
  • A Man on the Moon
  • Annapolis
  • Japanese Inn
  • Dream West
  • Ayn Rand Reader
  • To See You Again: A True Story of Love in a Time of War
  • Masada
  • Christmas: A Candid History
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for t
More about James A. Michener...
“An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it.” 2 likes
“Always remember, John, that you and I live on a minor planet attached to a minor star, at the far edge of a minor galaxy. We live here briefly, and when we’re gone, we’re forgotten. And one day the galaxies will be gone, too. The only morality that makes sense is to do something useful with the brief time we’re allotted.” 0 likes