Start by marking “So You Call Yourself A Man” as Want to Read:
So You Call Yourself A Man

So You Call Yourself A Man (Church #2)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  2,904 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
The acclaimed national bestselling author of such smart, sexy novels as The Preacher's Son and Player Haters returns with a tale of three best friends who've grown from boys to men together.
But now that they're each either married or about to be, they're coming up against some of the real tests of manhood- James Robinson and his wife, Cathy, have had their rough patches.
Published December 1st 2006 by Dafina (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about So You Call Yourself A Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Call Yourself A Man

Crystal
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf, fiction
Exceptionally deceptive and beautiful. This is without question one of the top books I have read this year.He really did put a spin on an old trick. Something we thought we were all used to lies and cheating and accidental babies.. but all with such a twist that will shock you right out of your pants.. lol. I truly truly enjoyed this story. This is something that happens everyday if people would just open their eyes.. Yes, its right in front of you but we all try to deny it.We got to here the Ma ...more
Samantha
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
All I can say about this book is : Oh my dam!!!! This book is about three male friends that have grown up together. They are all married or in serious relationships and we get to see the twists and turns that life hands us in romantic relationships. I will say this book is full of surprises and will literally have you with your mouth hanging open at the end. Prepare to expect the unexpected! I can't say anymore without giving spoilers.
OOSA
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Choices,
So You Call Yourself a Man tells the story of three lifelong friends, James, Brent and Sonny, and the up and downs of everyday life. One friend had an extramarital affair that ended years ago, or so he thought. Another seems to have it all: looks, a good job and a wife who loves him unconditionally. But this picture seems too perfect. The other friend has a wife and two kids, until she takes off suddenly. Is there more to her leaving that he's letting on? James, Brent and Sonny's proble
Sheila Jackson
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This book took me through twist and turns with these three friends. Sonny was crazy and obessed. James should have just talked with his wife, instead of all that sneaking he was doing to keep his secret from Cathy (His Wife). And Brent, he was just messed up, I hated what happened to him in the end, but you can't play around with someone's heart and not feel the backlash from it.

All I can say is that you need to read this book. Because it was some things in it that I didn't expect.

Awesome C
Tamela Cozart
I think this book was filled with just enough drama to keep you guessing. I am an author (check out Un-Equally Yoked by Tamela Cozart Tucker) and I can say that Carl Weber definitely inspired me. I can easily see his book being a made for tv movie. We could use a Lifetime for African American genre. I totally did not see the Sonny storyline and that is what I like the most about Carl. He keeps you shocked!
Sophie Sealy
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It started out as boys behaving badly then I began cursing up a storm, the beginning will in no way prepare you for the ending.
Mikeia
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Carl weber book I have ever read and fell in love with not only the book but him love it love it
Tamara
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could not put the book down. Great read!
Nasir Venable
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So You Call Yourself A Man by Car Weber is a drama novel about three best-friends, James, Brent, and Sonny. James is seven years into his marriage with his wife Cathy and things are getting better than ever. But when James and Cathy got into their feuds James needed desire and he found it in Michelle, a usual "delivery" on his UPS route. Consequently, that affair developed a baby and now Michelle is going to make James's life hell.

On the other hand, Brent and Alison are the quintessence of marri
Eva Leger
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Eva by: Bernice
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
WOW~ To think, I may have continued putting off reading any of Carl Weber's books because I wasn't sure what to expect if not for a friend! I honestly was expecting Weber's books to be a little more romance oriented than I like so, even though I've picked a few up over the years, I hadn't actually read any of them.... until now.
This is officially one of my favorite books. And this is one of those books you can't streamline into one genre. Almost any fiction lover would like or love this book -
Pam
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I honestly expected NOT to like this book, but I have to honestly admit I had a hard time putting it down. The plot was really engaging and the characters were believable. The author actually manages to insert a plot twist, which is REALLY hard to pull off seamlessly in a book, but I got it. There are three very different friends who experience three very different hardships in three VERY different relationships. All of which could probably happen to a man that you or I know. As they go through ...more
Belinda
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Belinda by: My sister-in-law
Shelves: african-american
While reading this book, I found myself more drawn into a certain character's story over another's; and wanted to skip to the next chapter involving that character(Although, I never did.) When I finished the book I felt that the entire book was entertaining and funny. This is a book you have to read!!!
Carl Weber
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Follow me on Twitter. http://twitter.com/CarlWeber_UB

Connect with me on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carl-We...

Check out all my interviews and trailers on. http://www.youtube.com/UrbanBooks
Rnd
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Wow. When I first read it, I thought it would be typical. Once I got to the end, wow. So many twists and turns, right up til the last page!
reneeNaDaBomb
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is about guys getting caught up with too many women/men?! One has a wife and two young sons plus a baby moms'. Damn James. The other is on the down low with Jacky, the married church piano player, but he's also expecting a baby with his wife. Umph, Brent, tsk, tsk. Then there's the psycho. Sonny boy! With all this drama you could end up in a wheelchair or probably dead. I listened to the audible version with headphones because the profanity is plenty. So use your earphone, please.
Kisha
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book a 5 because I liked how it took off. At 1st this was a bathroom read, however, the book takes a serious turn that keeps you engaged til the end. The chapters are very short and the story line switches back and forth but it was still very good!
Liza youngblood
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

This is an entertaining read. I enjoyed to the last page. The characters are realistic and colorful! I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Tasha Milteer
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was everything! The characters were relatable and their was never a dull moment!
Bruce Beckley Sr.
Very good story about the lives of three men who were friends since childhood and the things they go through in life.
Terri-Ale Sanders
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Crazy crazy. I guess everyone has secreys
Joi
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved ittt! Page turner and definitely did not see most of this stuff coming at the end.
Leah Maples
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This book was so good I could not out it down! Now I'm going back to read the first one.
Stephanie
Weber hasn't disappointed me yet. I can always count on an excellent storyline and believable characters whenever I pick up his books.

In SO YOU CALL YOURSELF A MAN, he showcases how much farther his talent for writing has come.

How well do you know your friends? James Robinson, Brent Williams, and Sonny Harrison have known each other their entire lives, but that still has no bearing on the secrets they have kept from each other.

James has a secret that can potentially tear his family apart. But t
Autumn El
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So You Call Yourself a Man is about 3 lifetime friends that have to deal with the good and bad of everyday life. James In the book had an affair with a woman while having problems with his wife. He thought it was over until one day he gets a call that changed his life, the woman he cheated with had a baby, and it’s his. Sonny is an obsessed, controlling man. His wife left him without anyone knowing why, and none of his friends knew the real him until Brent ran into her while at a store. She told ...more
Tqwana
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jermaine
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Never read a novel of this type before so it took a while to get used to the style but once you get into it is hard to put down.

The plot twist, although sometimes a little too convenient, are well paced and nicely spaced out. I like how the character development happens mostly through the other character's observing them which is how it is in the real world.

The only dislike I had about this book was that time passes in odd gaits and you often have to turn back a bit to figure out exactly where
Kimmie
Get ready for a roller coaster ride....so many twists and turns!! This story has everything you start reading about....and then some! I was not expecting anything near what happened! Development of the characters was great.....I had to go back on several occasions to see if I had missed something! All I have to say, I am never disappointed with a Carl Weber book! This would be a great book for a reading group discussion. I hope I get to meet Mr. Weber one day, as I have a few questions nagging a ...more
Mirrlees
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG this book was so good I lost my religion a couple of times and had to pray about it. LOL. Carl Weber did his thing on this read. James was an idiot for let Michelle treat her the way she did. Brent Brent Brent, you have to read to find out. Jackie, who would have thought, again you must read to understand where I an coming from with this one. Alison that's how you save your marriage lol do your thing cause all sinners either ask for forgiveness or go to hell. Excellent read. This story is et ...more
Teaguem2005
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a prime example of why Carl Weber is one of my favorite authors. His flow of storytelling is absolutely paced in such a way that I visualize the scenes while I read.

James, Sonny, and Brent were three lifelong friends who knew each other well but the story begs the question "how well can you really know anyone"?

Cathy, Jessica, Michelle, and Allison were the women in their lives. Each life is significantly changed by the action of their men. Book is a good read with unsuspecting sur
Poupina
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
The story is about the friendship, love life and personal lives of three best friends, James, Brent and Sonny. Of course, he references a few clichés about black people such as: "the angry black man," the unruly baby mama and the baby mama drama, the gay black man who you NEEEVER thought would ever have an ounce of homosexual tendencies. It's well-written offers good shout, scream and laugh moments. What I did like most about this book was that he didn't make the characters too boring, they were ...more
  • Nothing Has Ever Felt Like This (Soulmates Dissipate, #5)
  • Love & Lies (Reverend Curtis Black, #4)
  • No More Drama
  • Little Black Girl Lost 3
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • I Say a Little Prayer
  • Everybody Say Amen
Carl Weber is a New York Times and #1 Essence® bestselling novelist.

In addition to his writing, Weber is the founder and publisher of Urban Books and in 2005, he was named Blackboard's Publisher of the Year. He is the owner of the Urban Knowledge chain of book stores and a past recipient of Blackboard's Bookseller of the Year award.

Weber graduated from Virginia State University and holds an MBA in
More about Carl Weber...

Church (5 books)
  • The Preacher's Son
  • The First Lady
  • Up To No Good
  • Torn Between Two Lovers (Big Girls Book Club)