Start by marking “In Fury Born” as Want to Read:
In Fury Born

In Fury Born (Furies #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  4,829 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Imperial Intelligence couldn't find them, the Imperial Fleet couldn't catch them, and local defenses couldn't stop them. It seemed the planet-wrecking pirates were invincible. But they made a big mistake when they raided ex-commando leader Alicia DeVries' quiet home work, tortured and murdered her family, and then left her for dead. Alicia decided to turn "pirate" herself, ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 864 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Baen

Shaun Thomas
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Having recently finished the excellent Honor Harrington series, I decided it was high time to peruse David Weber's backlog of other titles. The war-related books didn't really interest me, but In Fury Born snared my attention.

Alicia DeVries a girl who excels at many things, and being the granddaughter of an infamous marine, one of those things is combat. Her sense of Honor and duty are, unsurprisingly for a Weber character, pristine and incorruptible. And that's really what the core of the book
Tina
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
"Combat isn't about 'fair', Alley. Combat is about shooting the other guy in the back before he shoots you -- or one of your buddies -- in the back. You aren't some hero out of a holo-drama, and you're not out there on some field of honor; you're on a killing ground. Never forget that."

David Weber, the author of this book, has a basic plot device that he uses in many of his books. And even though he uses it a lot, to me, it never gets old. I like to call it the 'uh-oh, you done messed with the w
Chris Dickey
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, sff, sf
Many other reviewers on this site have noted that this book was written at two different times. The “old stuff” was published as the novel “Path of the Fury”, and 450 pages of “new stuff” was added years later at the beginning to remake it into “In Fury Born”. Several reviewers here have commented that the two halves do not fit very well together. Most of these have been fans of the original book and don’t like the “new stuff”.
I certainly agree that the old and new stuff do not sit very well to
Jean-francois Morel
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is the best SciFi I've read in a very long time! I think that the last time was Ender's game. I might have to re-read Ender's game to compare which one is the best... SciFi appeals to the little boy inside you to identify with the main character (even if it's a woman in this case) and here, it is damn good for the ego. She (Alicia) starts from being the best in school, then in the marine, then ... She grows so much and so fast: it feels good.

The action is where this book shine. I alwa
Leons1701
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a reworked and massively expanded version of Path of the Fury, which was one of my favorite Weber books. Essentially adds a prequel to the existing title, unfortunately, Weber was unwilling to do much of a rewrite of the previous material. Whereas the original book jumped straight into a rather serious bit of action, spinning out a rather nice mystery as to just who and what Alicia DeVries was and why she was so amazingly badass, this rewrite gives a much slower paced start. The new mate ...more
Andreas
Dec 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is more or less an expanded version of Path of the Fury, with what can be considered a prequel to the original added at the start of the book. This fills out elements hinted at in Path of the Fury.

While Path of the Fury is a fun little book, this expanded version is horrible. Path of the Fury was written early in Weber’s career, when he was still writing hard hitting, fast moving, action packed military science fiction. Then he slowed down and became a word pooper. The new section is ponder
J
Jan 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
"Oh, horsefeathers!" Direct quote from the AI entity birthed some 900 years into our future which is touted on the book's cover read.

Bring a sketchpad with you because David Weber has a thing for names. I am confident in saying that there isn't a single chapter in this 828 MASSIVE book that doesn't introduce some new character by name. (often there are several) There is a nearly 30 page section in the back which is dedicated to the names of characters. Yes that is right... 30 pages of names. If
Coucher de soleil
In general, this was a truly gripping story of adventure and revenge. So gripping, in fact, that I was at times cursing the efficiency of public transportation in my town which required me to put the damn thing down before I was ready!! Having read many of his other books including his Honor Harrington series, I would say that David Weber is one of the best at creating a true edge-of-your-seat adventure story -and this is certainly one of his best!

The negatives: I gave this book a three star rat
Fiannawolf
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be waiting a while for the sequel huh....esp when he's not even done with Safehold or Harrington yet.

*sigh* Well it was nice discovering "new to me" Weberverses.
Scott Holstad
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Man, I love David Weber's books! He really knows how to write action packed sci fi novels. I admire and enjoy that.

In Fury Born has a 4.19 out of a 5.0 rating on Goodreads, which is pretty darn good, but you'd never realize it by looking at the most recent reviews, many of which are pretty savage. Apparently it's because this book is based on an earlier book he wrote which contains the second half of this book. What he did with this book was write a 450 page prequel to turn it into a near-900 pa
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
I first read this as a paperback, and liked it so much, I ordered a first edition hard cover edition. I have since read it at least five times. It starts with a young woman highly motivated, wanting to join the military like her grandfather, one of the only living holders of a specific award for bravery and command intelligence. At her graduation from college, she went into the service, and found it very rewarding and challenging. Those around her were impressed with her thinking things through, ...more
Yadira
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I like military sci-fi and I've enjoyed in the past other books by Weber. I was in the mood for a fun adventure in space and I wanted to like this book. But I really, really didn't.

The part about the Fury is not that bad (some scenes were amusing, like the chess game between Alicia and Tisiphone) but the rest of the book is worse than bad, it's boring. It's bogged down by Alicia's dull perfection and a cast of two-dimensional characters. And the repetition... her father has the exact same conve
Steven Cole
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure Awesomesauce.

In Fury Born is a book in two parts. The first half of the book ("the new stuff") is a story of the rise of one Alicia DeVries, in an interstellar special-ops military unit. I've always loved Weber's space battle stuff, and this was no exception. I was grabbed right from the start, and it never let go.

The second half of the book ("the old stuff") is apparently a big rewrite of Weber's earlier "Path of the Fury". It's a big revenge trip with sentient AIs and a mysterious entity
Carolyn
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Honor Harrington fans, military sf fans
I enjoyed this book, but the jacket copy on this edition must've been lifted straight from the original book Path of the Fury, because it didn't indicate at all that this rewritten version added a prequel - 600 pages worth! - before the events in the description even take place. I enjoyed the extra reading, but was a bit put off by how long it took to get there, just because of my expectations of where the book was to begin.
Overall a very good book in the military sf/space opera genre.
Jazzhunt
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing! I've read a lot and a I work in a library so I have access to literally thousands but this blew me away. I was two thirds of the way through and had already decided I was going to read it again. I read it for the second time 4 weeks later and the thrid time 3 months after that. Plent of reviews on-line, a couple of them even insightful, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm. Was surprised to discover I rarely like other Weber's. I have, in fact, put down five because they didn't e ...more
Marc
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I -thought- I had read this, but as it turned out, it was the original... this is the extended version. Much better - more boom, more neat background, more everything! Still didn't like the Fury herself... but that's the schtick of the book, so you accept it. The only concern I have is that the main character doesn't seem to have any social life, but considering she's a genius and the life she chose, that's... not that surprising. But you don't care, because it's a romping ride through space!
Melinda
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book came to my hands when I needed it. It's a roaring tale, and it's also a discussion of justice and mercy and the need for rule of law. I read it avidly, and I cried. I loved it, and learned from it.
Maarten Broekman
Love this book!

Total, complete, and wholehearted recommendation to lovers of sci-fi. A non-stop romp through the life of Alicia DeVries as she takes on the universe.
Colleen
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, owned, sci-fi
Strong female character, non-stop action! A great light read.
John
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truly Gripping from beginning to end.
Brian Schiff
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book , an excellent read!
John T. Dueker
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contains the whole Fury story

Takes the whole segment and rolls it into the full story. It's not as long or as intricate as some of his other story series but a good one.
Taz
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
After a long time, I finally found something worth reading. It was a bit boring time to time and there were some big logic holes, lack of world and character building in the story which bothered me, as well as the clumsy, hasty wrapping to end the adventure of the mc, but overall it was a good read.

My problem with the author is that; the lack of character depth, combined with the unoriginality of the weak plot, killed any interest for me to try another of his books. I vaguely remember throwing a
Cyn Mcdonald
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
First couple of sections were actually interesting, even if the combat is particularly (although not gratuitously) bloody. Ground troops are far more understandable than space warfare. The AI ship is cool. There is, as usual in Weber's books, a section of exposition where my eyes glazed over.

Do note that "Book 2" isn't. It's an earlier version of this book.
C Lee
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting characters.
Kathy Davie
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, military
In Fury Born seems to be the whole series in one especially at 838 pages with tiny print!

The Story
Our first notice of Alicia DeVries is when the military notices Alicia's extraordinary talents. Our first introduction to Alicia is when she enters the Imperial Marines following in the footsteps of her highly-revered grandfather. We fight with Alicia through the streets of Zhikotse on the planet of Gyangtse as the Marines struggle to rescue its government leaders from terrorists.

In Emperor's Sword
Zachary
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Strap yourself in when you open this book, because it is quite the ride. Alicia DeVries, though not Honor Harrington, is an equal in her own right. Through the glimpses of her growing up, and then the significant events of her military career which led her to the Cadre, she is revealed as a quite complex character, as well as a devastatingly effective warrior. Through situation after situation you see her not only survive, but overcome. Yet, the realistic side of this survival is portrayed as we ...more
Brad
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting book but a little strange. Leads off with fantastic military sci-fi and great action sequences. However, completely unexpectedly, Weber introduces a significant mythological element that disrupts the previously great flow of sci-fi action. I think Weber had an interesting idea but I still groaned with disappointment. Despite the jarring juxtaposition of sci-fi and mythology, the writing and action were good enough that I enjoyed the remainder of the book. Worth reading if you are a f ...more
Jack Tyler
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
According to Science Fiction Age, "The spirit of Star Wars melds with the heart of Horatio Hornblower." Booklist called it "Star Wars as it might have been written by C.S. Forester." And Starlog declared, "Old fashioned space opera is alive and well." I most heartily agree.

I got this book eight years ago from the Sci Fi Book Club. It was one of their monthly picks, and boy was it a doozy! In its 828 pages, David Weber captures fierce tactical ground combat, life in a military hierarchy, disillus
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review

"...all the verisimilitude of a technothriller... characterisations are strong and vivid..."- Publishers Weekly."

Product Description

Hoyt's Huns: September 2014 -- In Fury Born -- spoilers allowed 7 9 Oct 02, 2014 03:18AM
Hoyt's Huns: September 2014 -- In Fury Born -- no spoilers 3 9 Sep 14, 2014 05:39PM
In Fury Born 3 31 Jan 22, 2012 11:39PM
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • Manxome Foe (Looking Glass, #3)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Furies (2 books)
  • Path of the Fury

“Tisiphone stood silent and helpless in Alicia's mind. It was all she could do to keep Alicia's blind savagery from dragging Megaira under and clouding the lightning-fast reflexes which kept them both alive.
She'd never guessed what she was creating, never imagined the monster she'd spawned. She'd seen the power of Alicia DeVries's mind without recognizing the controls which kept that power in check, and only now had she begun to understand fully what she had done.
She had shattered those controls. The compassion and mercy she'd feared no longer existed, only the red, ravening hunger. Yet terrible as that might be, there was worse. She'd found the hole Alicia had gnawed through the wall about her inner rage, and she couldn't close it. Somehow, without even realizing it was possible, Alicia had reached beyond herself. She'd followed Tisiphone's connection to the Fury's own rage, her own destruction, and made that incalculable power hers as well.
For the first time in millennia, Tisiphone faced another as powerful as herself, a mortal mind which had stolen the power of the Furies themselves, and that power had driven it mad.”
13 likes
“How you doing, Helena?" she asked quietly.

"Not so good, Alley." The wounded trooper's voice was harsh, strained, despite all the painkillers in her pharmacope could do. The plasma bolt which had knocked out her armor hadn't killed her outright, but she'd lost her left leg just below the hip, and the entire left side of her armor was a smoking ruin. Her battle rifle had been destroyed, and her vital signs flickered unsteadily on Alicia's monitors. Alicia looked up at Tanis' face through the visor of her armor, and her wing shook her head silently.

"We -" Alicia began, but Chu cut her off.

"I already figured it out, Alley," she said.

"I figured you had," Alicia said softly, and laid her armored hand on Chu's right shoulder. She knelt there for a few silent heartbeats, then straightened her spine.

"You guys need to get moving," Chu said. She reached down and drew her sidearm-a CHK three-millimeter, identical to the one Alicia normally carried. "I'll just wait here with Bill," the crippled corporal said, nodding to where her wingman had already died.

Alicia gazed down at her, longing for something-anything-to say. Some comforting lie, like "I'm sure the bad guys will be too busy concentrating on us to send in a follow-up sweep," or "Hang on, and we'll get a med team out here as soon as we've polished off Green Haven." But Chu knew the odds as well as Alicia did, and she could read her own life sign monitors. She knew how little time she had left unless the med team arrived almost instantly, that only her pharmacope and augmentation were keeping her alive even now, and Alicia owed her people something better than a lie.

"God bless, Helena," she said, very quietly, instead, then turned to lead the fifty-eight surviving effectives of Charlie Company, Third Battalion, Second Regiment, Fifth Brigade, Imperial Cadre back into motion.”
0 likes