Start by marking “Here (On the Otherside #1)” as Want to Read:
Here (On the Otherside #1)

Here

(On the Otherside #1)

Published November 7th 2011 by DGS

To ask other readers questions about Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here

Giselle
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
Here starts off as a sort of light contemporary romance with a glimpse of possible paranormal elements to come. I wasn't very impressed at first, I felt it was all very cliché, thus I was foreseeing another "same old" predictable paranormal romance. However, at the turn of a page, I was completely baffled by a sudden change of events which essentially transforms it into a rather dystopian/sci-fi novel. This was a very welcome change as, up to this point, I wasn't really feeling it with this book ...more
Dani
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi, indie
Plagued by guilt for her role in her best friend Monica's death, Julia Phillip's life is falling apart at the seams. Her family is disintegrating right before her eyes, buckling under the strain of her reaction to the tragedy. She's shut everyone out, doesn't participate at school and is dangerously close to failing all of her classes. Julia has hit rock bottom, all without her best friend to help her through... the best friend she killed. As if her life couldn't get any worse or more weird, she ...more
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
This book is awesome. I could NOT put it down. I fell in love with Julia right from the start and I feel like she really finds her strength as the book progresses. She is so much stronger than she realizes. I'm beginning to wonder if I will love ALL of Denise Grover Swank's books this much. I haven't disliked one yet. Now I can't wait to read the sequel.
Nikki
Peyton
Jan 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise, but the heroine is a jackass who spends half the book refusing to leave an area that she is in extreme danger in because she can't leave her boyfriend. Even though said boyfriend would have been a hell of a lot safer if she weren't present.

I can't recommend any book that encourages young women to make stupid, self destructive decisions for a boy.

Also, this is the second book I've by this author that leaves the story right in the middle so that you have to buy another book.
(Source: I won a digital copy of this book. Thanks to author Denise Grover Swank.)
16-year-old Julia is suffering from depression, and her life is falling to pieces following the death of her best friend Monica.

When popular boy Evan volunteers to tutor her to stop her having to transfer to the ‘alternative’ school, she agrees, but never expects for him to seem to develop feelings for her.

Evan seems to have had a bit of a personality transplant over the previous 2 weeks though, and when police sho
Patty Blount
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought and downloaded HERE yesterday, so I could read something while pedaling the elliptical in the gym. I'd heard incredible things about this story and adored Twenty-Eight and Half Wishes, so figured this was a good bet.

Damn it, I was right. I shouldn't have done it! I have revisions on my own novel to finish by January! I have another manuscript to finish by deadline! I don't have time to read good books!

I am sooooo glad I did.

I started Here during my lunch hour and finished it last nig
Charley Girl
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
It is a good book. Julia is the likable high school outsider - gloomy, quiet, artistic, loner. What's there not to like? Her best friend, Monica, has died and Julia is mourning. Suddenly a popular boy, Evan, takes a notice in her and her world is turned upside down. Not the normal, high school love turned upside down. Completely different.

Two parallel worlds? Two Julias? Everyone has another being in the parallel world? In this scenerio events are opposite in the worlds. Julia live in one and Mo
Hilda
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, tears
Julia Phillips doesn’t remember anything about the accident which killed her best friend, Monica, and leaves her feeling confused and guilty. The police think that she’s responsible for the accident, and her schoolmates treat her like a freak. Julia knows that her family is struggling to pretend that everything’s okay, but Julia doesn’t have the strength to play with. All Julia wishes is to die in place of Monica.

Julia’s grades are falling down and she is threatened by the possibility of being s
Joy (joyous reads)
At first glance, Here’s cover bespeaks loudly of your run-of-the mill paranormal read; wolves? Shifters? Maybe even vampires or ghosts. But never would I have expected a parallel universe. I was getting ready to go to bed when this book caught my eye. It was just sitting on my desk along with my pile of Self-Pub Challenge books. Once I started reading, I was half worried, half excited that it was going to keep me up all night. But alas, I succumbed to tiredness and got through about half of it. ...more
Heather
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Read more reviews here!

Julia was in car accident that killed her best friend and she has been barely living with that for the last six months. Then she "meets" Evan, the popular guy she's never talked to before but has suddenly taken an interest in her. Everyone who knows him says that he's acting differently since he disappeared a week earlier, but Julia is flattered by the attention. As she's becoming involved, the police show up looking for him. Instead of turning him in, she protects him and
Lucy Swing
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, ya
I absolutely love the cover!!!!

When she sent me the blurb a few weeks ago I instantly told her I just had to read it! I was so hooked by only the blurb it was no surprise when I couldn't put the book down.

BLURB:

Here – YA Science Fiction On the Otherside series Book One

"Sixteen year old Julia Phillips buries herself in guilt after killing her best friend Monica in a car accident. Julia awoke in the hospital with a broken leg, a new talent for drawing and false memories of the accident, in which
Michelle
This is such an awesome book! I could not put it down! Here is mysterious and the characters are enthralling. I spent the first 30% of the book trying to figure Evan out along with Julia.

Speaking of Julia, I immediately connected with her. I felt so bad for her and all she has had to go through. But when she starts to get her "spark" back is when she really got to me. I think everyone will be able to relate to Julia, and that is one of the beautiful things about Denise's writing.

There are two
Brandy
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upon finishing this book I felt like I had been bitch slapped!

I was left holding my face with my mouth hanging open.
I am shocked: Oh, no you didn't!
I am pissed: What in the hell was that for?
I am amused: LOL! You've got some balls!
I am in awe: Wow!
I am surprised: I can't believe you did that!

I never saw the ending coming.
It's a rare thing to feel as though you've been sucker punched by an inanimate object!

Ingredients
1/2 standard cliche' YA love triangle
1/2 alternate dimension dystopian awesome
Kelli
Dec 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, based on the cover and the description, I was lead to believe that this was a ghost story. It's not. It's some weird sci-fi story that is clouded with an obscene amount of lame, teenage over-the-top, "I'll die if I can't gaze into your eyes for three seconds" love affairs.

The main character is a ticking time bomb of Lifetime channel emotions. She reels between "dead inside" to ecstatic to enraged to grief-stricken back and forth throughout the last 2/3 of the book. Give the girl some prozac
Sabrina Bay
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Wow! What a book! I didn't expect to love it so much since I chose it randomly on ibook. Turns out, I bought the paper version too! This is so great! I cannot wait to read the second one. I'm 100% team Reese! He is such an amazing character. I loved the acknowledgements too, haha! I would like to have a mom who writes a book with my name in it, too (a bit of jealousy here, haha)! So yeah, i'm very excited.

READ THIS BOOK!!!

Ps- note to the author: How, why, where did you find that idea? I me
Ashly
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book, looking forward to more from this series
mina
Nov 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: read-2018
This may (probably) contain spoilers, didn’t care enough to hide them. Read at your own risk.

I wanted to give this at least 50 pages before deciding how to proceed, but somehow (being curious and all that) I continued it. It’s sad that this has a good idea but it’s not executed well.

At first it’s a normal, cliché beginning of a girl drowning in guilt because of an accident, she is also an outcast, then throw a guy that seems to know more than he’s admitting and you have my curiosity piqued. Howe
Erin
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me awhile to get into this one, but I was pleasantly surprised by the twists once I did. Definitely an exciting plot that will keep readers wanting to read more, but for me the characters just weren't all that likable until it was too late to get pulled in.
Rhiannon Frater
This is one of those books that really surprised me on a lot of levels. I'm still absorbing what I read, so I'm going to try to break this down into coherent pieces.

WHAT IMPRESSED ME

I Cared About Julia
First off, writing about a character that is so terribly depressed is a real challenge to any author. To make a character wallowing in self-destructive behaviors a sympathetic character is not very easy. To make the character likable, even more difficult. To make the reader cheer on the character
Crystal
Here (On the Otherside #1) book review

I almost really liked this book...almost...the end killed it for me.

The author started with an interesting premise, but overall it didn't work for me. It was not a bad book, it was just not the book for me. Maybe I was expecting it to be aimed towards more mature reading level audience but it seems to have been written for pre-teens. Incredibly corny and predictable, chock full of cliches, both in plot and characters.

High school drama (check),  jealous girlf
Carina
My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
As a very surprising and addicting novel, I can recommend Here to everyone who is looking for something unique that will leave him speechless - especially during the middle part of the story. Even though it was really good right from the beginning, its huge twist managed to captivate me and leaves me wanting more.

More detailed:
I first added this book to my to-read list after seeing it on another blog, drawn in not only by the mysterious cover but also by the very
Brenna
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so surprising! I don't want to spoil anything, but it has a sci fi element I never expected but loved!

I wasn't expecting much from Here, which gave me the first impression of (another) paranormal romance, although it did sound like one that would be slightly different. But let me clarify this right here- it's not. Here is totally different from both what I expected, and even from most other books I've read in regards to its blending of genres.

Reasons to Read

1.Plot twists & gen
Carolina
I got all set to talk about the coolest, most awesome thing I loved most about this book, and then last minute I read the summary as I was pasting it from Goodreads, and CRUD. It's not even mentioned. Which means if I talk about it, I will be spoiling it for everybody. Dang it dang it dang it.

Okay, so, fresh approach, avoiding the coolest thing which answers "never guessing where he's really from."

So, obviously, HERE is a mystery. Eh hem. It's also a romance, but it's special in a certain regar
Meredith Schorr
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since Julia survived the car crash that killed her best friend Monica, 16-year-old Julia has not been the same. She blames herself for the accident and can't get past the guilt. She has shut herself off from her family and friends and her school work is suffering to the point that they are threatening to send her to "alternative" school. In addition to the above, strange things have happened to her since the accident, for instance, a bracelet she doesn't recall ever seeing before suddenly a ...more
Jannie M
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked how the book started out. As another user stated, the setting of the stage, the introduction to the main character and her world was done pretty well. One could only understand how it feels to have lost a really close friend, especially when you feel like their death was caused by you. So I actually liked the character, and there was enough mystery and confusion that made me really want to know what's going on.

THEN... I got to the real plot of the story. Now, I love the sci-fi concept of
Stacy
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-book-scene
HERE was an interesting read. I wasn't sure where it was going in the beginning but by about 1/2 way through it makes sense. Julia and her best friend Monica were in a car accident and Julia is the only one who survived. She is racked with survivors guilt and has given up on everyone and everything in her life. When Evan starts paying attention to her she has no idea what to think and has no idea why she suddenly feels connected to him.

Julia was extremely depressed and depressing to watch for a
Mariah
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, feb-12
This book was not what I expected. From reading the first chapter/prologue I was unsure what to expect, but once I got into the meat of the book I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Here is a science fiction book. But it also seemed to lean into the paranormal feel. After the accident Julia has new abilities and she has memories that did not actually happen, that combined with the popular boy suddenly paying more attention to her made me think that it was a paranormal book all the way
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
To comment on the obvious thing, which is the cover. I have to say that i really like how creepy and spooky it is. It doesn't really match the book, but still it's really nice.

I have to give congrats to the author, for making get out of my mind with guesses on who Even really is. Good thing they didn't mention it at the summary. At first i thought he was some kind of angel, then i though a vampire, etc etc...i'm not telling you who or what he is. It surprised me and gave such an amazing turn to
KB
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me just get this out of the way: I have no idea what the cover has to do with the story except for the fact that the main characters are one girl and two boys. I guess the cover is there to sort of mislead you to think that it's a paranormal story... Well, Now that I think about it, the sequel might have a little bit of the paranormal in it... Hmm.

Anyway. The story was written well overall. And the concept. Oh, the concept. So good! The huge twist came at just the right time and it was nail-
  • The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Song to Wake to (Levels, # 1)
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Rise from Darkness (Battle for Souls, #1)
  • Shattered (Desire, #2)
  • When Copper Suns Fall (Lost Immortals, #1)
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • Bluff
  • Amaranth (Resistance, #1)
  • iFeel (Vis Vires Trilogy, #1)
  • Destined to Fail
  • Morning Star (Equinox #1)
  • Unveiled (Fireblood, #1.5)
  • Untraceable (The Nature of Grace, #1)
  • Breath of Air (Dryad Quartet #1)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Secrets (The Guardian Trilogy #1)
  • Severance (Volition, #2)

On the Otherside (2 books)
  • There (On the Otherside, #2)
“I find it ironic that someone so ambivalent about living fights so hard to survive.” 4 likes
“How many times can a person shatter and have enough pieces left to be whole?” 3 likes