Start by marking “Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)

Red Velvet Revenge

(Cupcake Bakery Mystery #4)

It may be summertime, but sales at Fairy Tale Cupcakes are below zero--and owners Melanie Cooper and Angie DeLaura are willing to try anything to heat things up. So when local legend Slim Hazard offers them the chance to sell cupcakes at the annual Juniper Pass rodeo, they're determined to rope in a pretty payday!

But not everyone at the Juniper Pass is as sweet for Fairy T
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published July 3rd 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Red Velvet Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Velvet Revenge

Hamda
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I should stop binge reading this series. It's making me crave sugar something terrible!!!

In this installment Mel is invited to sell her cupcakes in a rodeo with 25 thousand people attending.

Needless to say she has dollar signs in her eyes.

There's a murder and our scrappy gang need to solve it while trying to out sell their competition.

I really do like the amount of research that was put into this book. Be it about rodeos, animal cruelty, old and current practices. The author has a good head
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time listening to this cozy mystery! I have been slowly working my way through this series after picking up the first book in the series not quite a year ago. This is the fourth book in the Cupcake Bakery Mysteries and while it can be read as a stand alone readers of the series will appreciate checking in with the cast of characters. I found myself quickly caught up in this mystery and I may have developed a mild cravin
❂ Jennifer
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Another great book in a great series! I love all the characters, and I think this one was probably my favourite due to a combination of great romantic tension, an excellent murder plot and the fact that the nemesis in the series, Olivia Pucket, was mostly absent (she's just a little over-the-top for me).

Red Velvet Revenge takes place at a rodeo in northern Arizona and Ms, McKinlay did an excellent job with the suspects, clues and denouement. I really had no idea who the murderer was until the re
Melodie
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
This is absolutely one of my top 5 cozy series, and they never disappoint me! They get better as the series goes. I love the relationships and they're quite believable, though I do believe the Angie/Tate thing would have resolved itself early on. I like the little "movie quote" thing that goes on between Angie, Mel & Tate as it's something that goes on with me and some of my family members and friends. Will be impatiently waiting the 5th book in the series! RECOMMEND!!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my other favorite book in the series so far. This was just too good. And I want to see more of backbone Mel Cooper because I loved how she talked some sense into her two friends and their romance angst.

And I like how protective Mel is of Oz, that's just adorable. And we get more Marty as well, which is nice, since he along with Oz are a good addition to the series.

Anyway, this time around, the cupcake gang head to the rodeo.

I like how in the series you have some characters you l
Mayda
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Mel and Angie may not be ready to ride in a rodeo, but they are more than willing to sell cupcakes there. When a chance meeting with a rodeo owner results in a offer to come to his rodeo and sell cupcakes, they are ready to leave the heat of the city and head up the mountain. Luckily, their intern Oz has inherited an ice cream van, which they clean up and outfit for cupcakes. It’s all good, right up to the point where their new friend gets shot. Much happens in this well-written and delightful c ...more
Dawn Michelle
There were moments of pure MEH in this book and then there were moments of laughter and fun. I find that these are sometimes hit or miss and even with the misses, I find I like them. I like the characters [though I am extremely tired of how bratty Angie is. GROW THE F UP ALREADY] and I love the idea of cupcakes. And I like how resourceful Mel is, especially in this one and I love her relationship with Joe AND with her darling cat!
So I will keep reading and keep recommending them - there is enou
Fred
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4Th book in the A Cupcake Bakery Mystery series. It just might be the best one, too.

Angie and Melanie, owners of the Fairy tale Cupcakes bakery, are riding with Oz and Marty in a recycled Good Humor van that Oz has recently purchased. They are discussing how it can become the bakery delivery van when the van breaks down. Shortly after Slim Hazard. who heads the Juniper Pass Rodeo, stops to help. Once Slim learns of their bakery, he talks them into becoming a vendor at the upcoming ro
Mark Baker
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, mystery
The summer heat is killing business for Fairy Tale Cupcakes, so when Mel and Angie get an offer to sell cupcakes at a rodeo in the mountains, it seems like a great idea. However, when someone is shot at the opening parade, they begin to wonder what they’ve landed in the middle of this time.

I found the first quarter of this book very slow since it sets up several things that could have been handled in a few pages or a couple of chapters max. Once the story does get started, it moves along at a gr
Peggy R
This is the fourth book in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series, which I am currently bingeing. This is such a cute series that I can't believe it has taken me this long to start reading. I love the characters. The are very appealing and the friendships and relationship feel genuine. So far the series had been quick fun reads that keep me coming back for more. This book seemed to take a bit longer to set up and get to the murder, but once it did Mel was back in rare form. I'm on to the next.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this recent novel in the series "A Cupcake Bakery Mystery." Not only did the bakery go off campus, to a rodeo, but the characters were more complete and we got to know them better. I also enjoyed that Angie DeLaura finally made up her mind as to her future romantically.

There were laugh out loud scenes with bulls and cupcakes. There were surprises like new cake treats, such as 'Cake Pops' and Vegan cupcakes, which we are so fortunate to have recipes for now. They were well woven
Dawn Frazier
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I wasn't sure about this one with the Rodeo theme, but the characters are so great, that it didn't even make a difference. I devoured this book in about 2 days, glad I have the others waiting for me!
Mary Ann
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book to listen to while in the car. Yesterday was my middle child's birthday and my youngest had chosen this book to be listened to in the car while we were traveling. My husband and children laughed out loud at many moments in the book.

It is a very hot summer in AZ and Gina and Mel are discussing what they should do about their dwindling clientele (too hot to come out and enjoy a cupcake). When Oz and Marty show up with an old ice cream truck to go out and find the business. They co
Caitlin Copp
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-2017
It is hot in Phoenix where Mel and Angie run their bakery, Fairy Tale Cupcakes. The temperature may be rising quickly but business at the bakery has slowed down to a trickle and they are willing to do whatever they can to drum up business. Then walks in local rodeo legend Slim Hazard and Marty convinces the girls to try selling the cupcakes at the Juniper Pass Rodeo, 6 hours away. At first Mel is hesitant, they don't have a food truck after all...then Oz shows up with a tricked out cupcake selli ...more
Amanda
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really like this series, but this book in particular was very satisfying. The solutions to problems that popped up, the back stories, the culprit reveal, and the very end. The story moved at a good pace, without any boring, slow parts. Some likeable, new characters are introduced in this book and I hope some of them might pop up again in future books. This story takes place in a different Arizona town than the others, so Mel and the rest of the cupcake gang are out of their element, and our fa ...more
Devi Nair
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sweetness of cupcakes and spiciness of a mystery makes this series a perfect recipe in cozy mystery. Melanie Cooper and Angie DeLaura along with Tate, Joe and other, especially Captain Jack Sparrow, the cat makes the stories believable along with being fun and interesting. Somewhere down the series, the story makes you start living their lives with them. Every dip in anyone mood makes the reader feels terribly sad and any happy moment makes it a teary moment while reading.
A cute cozy with a
Sharon Bezrutczyk
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series. I can't wait to see if she accepts Joe's question and how Tate and Angie make out.
QNPoohBear
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fairy Tale Cupcakes has a new cupcake van and a new friend. Slim Hazard, the owner of the biggest rodeo show, invites the shop to come and sell cupcakes at the rodeo in northern Arizona. Since it's hotter than hot in Scottsdale and business is dead, Mel readily agrees. Tate, Marty and Oz all want to tag along but Angie has been invited to LA to see Roach. Angie insists on going to the rodeo. The rodeo gets off to a rough start when Slim is shot at the opening parade. He's wounded and the sheriff ...more
Teresa
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
~ 3.5 Stars ~
LORI CASWELL
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Fairy Tale Cupcakes is hitting the road and headed for a rodeo! Off to sell their cupcakes to some cowpokes sounds like fun, but this is not the getaway any of them had in mind. Hang on tight the ride is wild!

Dollycas's Thoughts

I have warned you before and it is still true. You will crave cupcakes while reading this marvelous mystery so be sure to have some handy. That was the case with every book in this series!

Jenn has whipped up another delectable treat for our reading pleasure. The Arizona h
Angela Holland
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
What I liked: I continue to like how close the girls are and how they have become close with Oz and Marty as well. I kind of like the Rodeo theme to this book.
What I didn't Liked: Even though I liked the Rodeo theme, I was not sure I liked it for this book. I like when they are in their town and the murder happens.
Overall Impression: I overall enjoyed this book, but still am not sure what I think of a Rodeo owner just happening by them and asking them to sell cupcakes at the rodeo when he just m
Melissapalmer404
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
#55 Book Read in 2012
Red Velvet Revenge by Jenn McKinlay

This book is the fourth installment in one of my favorite cozy mystery series. In this book, Mel and Angie decide to bring their cupcake van to a rodeo to sell their cupcakes. As always when they are involved, there is drama at the rodeo and someone turns up dead. Mel begins to investigate the death and of course gets herself in trouble. Along with the murder mystery, the romance of Mel and Joe moves forward. Angie and Tate's unspoken love
bella
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Red Velvet Revenge is the fourth book in the Cupcake Bakery Mysteries. I've read the previous three books and I loved each one, and I have been very anxious for book four.

This time Mel, Angie, Tate, Marty and Oz are off to the rodeo at Juniper Pass where they are selling cupcakes! Not long before they get there the owner of the Rodeo gets shot (not fatally) and then the rodeo star is killed. Mel can't help but get involved and try and solve the murder.

I love this series. Angie being the only gir
Kelley
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was by far the best in the series (which I already thought was one of the best series out there!) and Jenn McKinlay outdid herself with this one. The dialogue ( which is a big pet peeve of mine if it doesn't ring true) was excellent. The chemistry between Mel and Angie is great and rings true. I love all of the characters and I was really glad Oz and Marty got to shine in this one. I also like that Mel is getting fed up with the will they/won't they of Angie and Tate. I kne ...more
Melissa
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Love this series!
In “Red Velvet Revenge”, Angie, Mel and their Staff from their Cupcake Store are invited to go to a Rodeo to be one of the Food Vendors. While they are there, they meet more of the Family that runs the Rodeo as they sell their Cupcakes and Cake Pops to the local crowd. When someone is found dead, Angie and Mel try to help find out who did it while at the same time…keeping busy with their new Cupcake Van. I thought that Slim and Tammy Hazard were a cute couple and they were ver
Jean
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Honestly I love Jenn Mckinlay books, but that being said I was not impressed with this addition. The story line was there and I saw moments where it felt that it was rushed and her heart just was not into this book. I would have given this book more then two stars if the story line had a better follow through. I felt that I could not concentrate on areas of the book when it kept jumping around and did not make any sense. I will purchuse her next one hoping for a better read.
Cindy
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series! Mel and Angie are so much fun to read about and when you add the others it just makes for an enjoyable time. Marty and Oz are great as their co-workers in the bakery. They add a lot to the stories, especially with being so different from each other. No spoilers but in this one, they take the show on the road.

Jenn gives you a preview of the next book in the series and then you find out you have to wait until April next year! No fair!!!
Nora-adrienne
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
Jenn has done it again.. She's taken her characters out of their comfort zone and dropped them into the middle of a rodeo. (I love rodeos) The town looks like something out of the old west. The people they meet are interesting and funny. I like the way Jenn builds the puzzle for the reader's to figure out who dunnit and just when you think you've got it, the puzzle changes.

Get the book, read the book, you'll love the book.

I won an ARC of this book from the author in a Twitter giveaway.
Maryann Seaman phillippe
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've just started reading cozy crimes but I started with book 7 of this series and knew I had to go back to the beginning! I love this series, especially Oz. My college friends and it love to quote movies as well so I can relate to Mel, Angie and Tate. And who doesn't love cupcakes? Can't wait to read the rest of these I figure one a day for two more days and then I will have to wait awhile. Well, pooh!
Nicole
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun installment in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series! The change in setting gave this story a bit of a different feel which kept it fresh! I continue to enjoy getting to know the characters and watch their growth while keeping true to their personalities originally presented. The end was quite exciting and I look forward to seeing what comes next!

• Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6)
  • A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the Menu (A Cooking Class Mystery, #2)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Buried in a Book (Novel Idea, #1)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery, #1)
Jenn is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of several mystery series and will be debuting a new women's fiction series in June 2017, starting with the title About a Dog. She lives in sunny Arizona in a house that is overrun with kids, pets and her husband's guitars.

Cupcake Bakery Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Sugar and Iced (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Dark Chocolate Demise (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #7)
  • Vanilla Beaned (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #8)
  • Caramel Crush (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #9)
  • Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #11)
“Tate and Marty exchanged indignant looks. Tate pointed to the kitchen door behind Marty, then hooked a thumb at the back door and gave Marty a nod. Before Mel could figure out what they were up to, they were both lying on the floor of the kitchen, blocking the exits.
“What is this? Occupy Fairy Tale Cupcakes?!” Angie asked. “What do you think you’re doing?”
“We’re in protest mode.” Tate said. “We’re going to limp and we’re going to lie here until you agree to let us come along.”
“Are you kidding me?” Mel asked. “What if I don’t give in? Are you going to hold your breath until you turn blue?”
She watched Tate lift his head and look at Marty. He raised his eyebrows in silent question, and Marty gave him a small nod.
“Thanks for the idea,”
The kitchen door slammed into his side, and Marty grunted but still held his ground. The kitchen door didn’t budge.
“Hey, the door is stuck,” Oz yelled from the other side.”
1 likes
“French Toast Cupcake A vanilla cupcake with maple buttercream frosting and chopped bacon sprinkled on top. Vanilla Cupcake 1¾ cups flour 1¼ teaspoons baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 1½ sticks butter, unsalted 1 cup sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 3 eggs 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil ⅔ cup milk Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put paper liners in cupcake pan. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time. Add oil and milk. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fill the cupcake liners about ⅔ full. Bake about 18–22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. Maple Buttercream ½ cup shortening ½ cup butter, softened 2 tablespoons real maple syrup 4 cups powdered sugar 2 tablespoons milk Chopped bacon for garnish Cream together ½ cup shortening and ½ cup butter using an electric mixer. Add maple syrup. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk; beat until light and airy. Sprinkle with chopped bacon before frosting sets.” 0 likes