Start by marking “One Cold Night” as Want to Read:
One Cold Night

One Cold Night

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  1,255 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
“Jam-packed with heart stopping suspense.” –Book Fetish

ONE COLD NIGHT SHE DISAPPEARED…

New York Police detective Dave Strauss is haunted by the one case he couldn’t solve. A schoolgirl vanished off the streets of Brooklyn, with only a trail of blood and a series of untraceable phone calls from “the Groom” hinting at her fate. Now the cold dark night has engulfed another you
Published May 2nd 2011 by Blue Table Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about One Cold Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Cold Night

Mandy
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really well written mystery. I like this author a lot. She reminds me a lot of Wendy Corsi Staub. This book had twists and turns and was a great read. Would highly recommend this!
Carolyn
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
Lisa Bailey is a 14 year old school girl living in New York with her sister Susan and her husband. One cold night after her sister tells her a secret she's not sure she wants to know, she runs out into the night and disappears. Susan's husband David, a detective becomes worried when Lisa's disappearance starts to looks a lot like a case he was working on a year ago, where a young girl disappeared and the abductor never found.

This is the second novel by Katia Lief that I have read and while the s
Hayden
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was awesome. Terrific. When I bought it for $0.99, I was expecting nothing more than amateur writing, a recycled plot, and/or a totally predictable ending. From the beginning through to the end, ONE COLD NIGHT was none of those things.

After reading this book, I have filed Katia Lief in my mind with the likes of Jodi Picoult and Meg Gardiner. She falls about right in between those two.

I couldn't put this thriller down. Without giving too much away, this book played on all of my emo
Taryn
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was my 2nd Katia Lief book i read and i must admit she has surpassed my expectations. her books i stumbled uppon on my kobo and bought because they where cheap reads, i was a little relucktent at 1st and doubted how good her books could be but now i am deffenitly a fan. this book was a nice, light easy read which was suspenceful and kept your intrestest and made you want to read more. her characters are very detailed and well described, her plot is good and keeps you intrested and shes just ...more
Elaine Hill
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book - definitely wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Would read some more from this author

Martha
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kobobooks, 2015
This is really good. I love it when one of my ebook bargains turns out like this. :-)
Tashi Pem
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-room
I would like to give 4 stars to this book as every chapter of this book has taken me to the new world and has captivate my interest.
Such a good read!!.Lisa (a teenager-a missing girl) runs away from home after she reveal the secret of her family which has been veiled for many years.
Most of the time she had an argument with her mother and sister, which makes her sad and all this subject matter started after Lisa reveals that she is not a biological child of this family))
Just
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa disappears just after a major revelation by her sister Susan. Has she run away or are more devious forces in play? Dave, her brother-in-law, and a police officer is in a race against time to save Lisa whilst he draws parallels between another missing girl from a year earlier he hadn't been able to find. Fast paced read.
Diana
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The more I read this author, the more I like her style, her plots, and, especially, her character development. I find myself really caring about the characters, invested in what happens to them. This was no different. A real page turner with some good twists that I didn't expect.
Beth
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-at-library
Outstanding mystery. Extremely well written.
Diana
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I got at the club book exchange. (this was certainly a worth while activity for me !!) A girl is kidnapped and NY detective David Strauss spends a year looking to solve this case.
His wife's niece, Lisa, is living David and his wife. Lisa disappears after a fight with Susan, her aunt. Lisa is very upset after Susan tells Lisa that she is her mother.....not her aunt. Lisa runs out of the house and never comes home. There are clues that she was abducted. It seemed almost t
Anne
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german
"Er ist schon einmal entwischt. Jetzt wird er wieder töten.
Nach einem Streit mit ihrer Schwester Susan verschwindet die vierzehnjährige Lisa spurlos. Susan und ihr Mann Dave, ein New Yorker Polizist, suchen vergeblich nach ihr. Als am nächsten Tag ein rätselhafter Brief eintrifft, wird klar: Lisa ist entführt worden. Und der Brief stammt offenbar von demselben Täter, der schon einmal ein Mädchen entführt hat - dem einzigen Mörder, den Dave nie gefasst hat..." (Klapptext)

Mehr als den Klapptext wi
Ellen
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this story very enjoyable. It had everything in it. Mystery, abduction, questions to be answered and also kept you guessing for most of the time. This family seems ordinary enough but there are secrets which have been veiled for many years. The subject matter starts with Lisa a teenager who has an argument with her sister after she reveals she is not her sister but her biological mother. Lisa runs away from the house to try and clear her head but suddenly she hears footsteps behind her. ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one thing I really enjoyed about One Cold Night was that it took pace over the time period of a day and a half.

Kate Pepper keeps the pace of the book high and the storytelling is excellent. I quite liked the characters, although I would have pleased me to see a little more development of them. As for the illness of the villain, who is bipolar, I'm not quite sure the Kate Pepper nailed how this illness affects a person.

Beyond those two little discretions, One Cold Night is a thriller that I
Jennuineglass
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A really strong 3 stars, like 3.8. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been optioned for a movie as it has great characters, a quick strong plot, and good guys and bad guys. Its the kind of book where you really sort of give it away if you mention anything beyond the editor's synopsis, so I will let it stand as is. If you like thrillers with the cop/detective vs. killers and then go ahead and add this to your shelf. It might be a tad predictable in its formatting, but still highly enjoyable. Extr ...more
Deb Kosteniuk
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I found another author to love. This is the second book I have read by the author and I am again struck by how well she fleshes out her protagonist - again a woman, flaws and all. I don't know why, but I found the way she rights appeals to me and again this was a book I didn't want to put down...I had a two hour bath reading it!!! I loved discovering that there were, in fact, two men involved in the kidnapping of the teenage girl and how that came about, and how the spouse's previous encou ...more
Harmony Kent
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would love to give this five stars, but there are just too many typos. Whoever the proofreader is for this publisher they need further training. Aside from these many errors, this is a fantastic book with spot on editing. I highly recommend this author, and am grateful to my sister for giving me the heads up. I will be purchasing more of Katia Lief's books. As it stands, I award four stars ... I blame the publisher for the sloppiness in this case. If you're partial to a crime thriller then you ...more
VLynch
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, drama
Katia Lief's books keep me interested and anxious to see how the books will end. This book starts with a missing a child, and carries the reader through the fear, stress, and agony of waiting to hear if the child is ok. The great thing about this book is there is an underlining story line that adds to the drama between the missing child and other relationships in the book. I hightly recommend this book for those who like mysteries.
Maxine
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good read, from the first chapert this book captivated my interest and want to turn the pages , I found the story easy to follow with loads of twist that leaves you wondering what or who is involved , dont want to give to much away but they way the characters are involved in the plot is very well writen and I feel the personalities of each character was carried well throughout the story. over I I enjoyed the book and the crime journey it took me on would definitely recommend this book .
Julie scott
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW what a fabulous novel this is the 1st I've read by Katia Lief. This novel kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end all the characters were fabulous. This book made me laugh & cry I absolutely loved the 2 coppers Ramos & Bruno who were great & also cracked me up they were just so funny as well as being top cops. This was full of suspense & fast paced. I look forward to reading more from Katia!!!
Lindsay Allen
Another good page turner from Katia Lief. This one didn't have the catchy chapter endings, like some of her other books, but it was a very quick read none the less.

Sometimes her books have some disturbing details, like for instance, the cause of the smell of rotting flesh... Even a week later that vision is still in my mind and a bit upsetting, as an animal lover.

Overall decent story, but not my favorite of her books.
Lee Ann
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book when it was just over a dollar. Because of the price, it wasn't much to lose if the book wasn't good. But, I found this to be one of the best authors I've ever read. After reading one of her books, I bought every single book that was available for sale. I can't wait for her to write more books.
Linda
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second Katia Lief mystery. Easy to read. This author writes the story and does not try to make it epic by adding words, words and more words. I like that. Her descriptions of places and souls are very good. I can describe her work better by saying she writes not too much, not too little but just right.
Naomi Blackburn
Nov 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This must be one of Lief's earlier works (or at least I hope it is). I enjoy her series which she currently writes, but this one was anything but enjoyable. I found the writing to be really discombobulated and with an extreme flair for the drama, which she normally keeps to a low now and focuses much more on the story itself.
Snoozie Suzie
Mar 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, read-2012
Hmmm. This could have been a good mystery, but I found it to be just readable. The characters were ok, the plot ok, the twists ok. But that's it. Just ok. I skimmed some of this and it didn't matter. Didn't find me reading furiously to get to the end to find out the culprit, more thinking I must read some more just so I can finish it and get it out of the way.
Barbara McGrath
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
One cold night

This is my first time reading any of Katia Lief's novels.
I did so enjoy her writings.
Her characters and plots were strong and well defined.
I am looking forward to reading more of her works.
The ending of this particular story was a complete surprise.
And I like that about a novel.
Steven Bragg
The plot is reasonably engaging and there is a decent narrative flow. However, it is just not gripping. The point where the real killer suddenly appears is a great opportunity to ratchet up the tension ---- and then he is killed and the scene is over. Ah well. Also, the epilogue goes on far too long.
Kimberly Kay Mcbride
THIS BOOK WAS JUST "OK." I'M A HUGE FAN OF MYSTERY. MY FAVORITE MYSTERY AUTHORS ARE LISA GARDNER, TAMI HOAG, CHEVY STEVENS, AND HARLAN COBEN. THESE AUTHORS ARE MASTERS OF LANGUAGE AND AT KEEPING THE READER ENTHRALLED FROM CHAPTER ONE THROUGH THE END OF THE NOVEL. I FOUND THIS BOOK TO BE SIMPLISTIC AND PREDICTABLE. I DID SOMETHING I NEVER DO; I ACTUALLY SKIMMED THROUGH PAGES.
Anisa Clark
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jam packed with heart stopping suspense. one cold night is a book not to miss out on reading. one cold night is one of thoughts fast read kind of books where you just keep reading and reading it and you dont wanna put it down. i personally think that this is a great book for ya readers. my 12 year old nephew read it and he loved it....
Allison Murray
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read, just not fantastic.
Probably would have rated 5 stars if a few parts in the book didn't seem to ramble on (just a bit). But, if u want a good mystery to read (under 300pgs), I "do" recommend this one. :)
  • Ransom Beach (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #2)
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2)
  • No One Heard Her Scream (No One, #1)
  • The Value of Life
  • The Lucky Collection Lucky's Charm (Lucky #1)
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Just Run
  • Blind Pursuit
  • Her Last Letter
  • Winterlude (Officer Gunnhilder, #2.5)
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Road Closed (DI Geraldine Steel, #2)
  • Keepsake
  • Mortal Faults (Abby Sinclair and Tess McCallum, #4)
  • Inferno
  • Cold Midnight
  • Cruelty To Innocents (The 911 Abductions, #1)