Start by marking “Vote for Me!” as Want to Read:
Vote for Me!

Vote for Me!

Hey, you Yes, you with the dazzling smile The donkey wants your vote. So does the elephant. And each will do just about anything to win your support. Brag? Sure Flatter? Absolutely Exaggerate, name-call, make silly promises and generally act childish? Yes, yes, yes and yes. Soon, the tension mounts, and these two quarrelsome candidates resort to slinging mud (literally) an ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Vote for Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vote for Me!

Start your review of Vote for Me!
La Coccinelle
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I don't really understand the point of this book. Maybe it would've been more amusing back when it was first published, but I think the whole world is suffering from American politics fatigue at this point. There's literally no story here except for a donkey and an elephant running for office, and the escalating mud-slinging that they engage in. They have no platforms. They're both unappealing. They both deserved to lose to the third-party candidate. (If only life could imitate art sometimes...) ...more
Lata
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though aimed at kids, does a nice job of summing up how candidates running for an election fail to act like mature individuals.
Simple, clean imagery, with a minimum of colours used, keeping one's eyes trained on the "dialogue" between the candidates.
Rachel Watkins
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is all you need to get through the 2016 election. Trust me.
Abigail
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories to Explain American Party Politics
Author/illustrator Ben Clanton explores the world of American party politics in this amusing picture-book, as Donkey and Elephant - the symbols of the Democratic and Republican Parties - square off against one another. Each one contends that they are the better candidate, and that the voter should choose them. Soon their championing of their own virtues leads to mudslinging, and pointing out their opponent's vices. Unbeknownst to them, however, a third party has gotten involved...

Simple enough f
Etienne
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
What can be seen has a political satyr isn't working that well here because of the execution but also by the targeted readers. Who want to read political satyr book to 5 years old children? I'm not sure! But I'm sure I'm not!
Morris
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure kids will find this funny for the same reasons I did, but it does a great job of pointing out how ridiculous politics can be at times.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Samantha
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I almost feel like this should be required reading for every candidate...
Heather
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
SOOOOO CUTE! And the winner is....the INDEPENDENT MOUSE! HAHAHA! I love this picture book...
Sabrina
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super cute political explanation for children!

Granted that there are jokes in this book that I don't think that a younger audience would get but they will still enjoy the illustrations and the twist ending.
Sara
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too on the nose without actually saying anything. Just that two sides will argue and neither will be the good choice? Also literal mud-slinging? Really? Okay.
Heidi-Marie
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh so hard just from its cover, so I had high hopes it would be good. I was not disappointed. A complete tongue-in-cheek book that is perfect at this election year. Shows two candidates in an election, and what seems to happen--total childish behavior complete with mud-slinging. (I thought that hilarious.) Children may not get so much of the humor in this, but I think they can at least see that both donkey and elephant are wrong in their behavior. Maybe that will stick with ...more
Emily Duncan
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Vote For Me written by Ben Clanton tells the story of a feuding donkey and elephant trying to persuade the reader to vote for them. This picture storybook is a good representation of the government parties in America. The donkey and elephant go back and forth bickering over who is better and why you should vote for them. Out of nowhere a clever mouse comes in to steal the show. After a name calling, spit ball flying fight, the elephant and donkey realize there hurtful words and actions will get ...more
Barbara
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, ncbla2013
They're at it again, the Elephant and the Donkey, and they want your vote. As each animal tries to make a case for why you should vote for him, their arguments and word-slinging escalate to the point of hurting one another's feelings. While the book has possibilities for providing examples of propaganda techniques and helping future votes be more critical during election time, both animals were rather annoying. I'm assuming they stand for the Republican and Democratic parties, but even if they d ...more
Paul  Hankins
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: april-2012-reads
Obvious tie-ins with an election year to include the color of the speech bubbles attached to each of the characters. I think the insults in the book get in the way for me to make a recommendation of this title to younger readers. It's just not subtle enough. . .
Vidya Tiru
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts
This book is one of those that evoked mixed feelings for me. I truly loved the artwork, the timeliness(though based on what I see, this is a timely reprint), and the concept of the book. So while we could possibly use the book to introduce younger readers to the bitter side of politics, and the words used in the mudslinging contest between the donkey and the elephant here are sure to get some giggles, I am not too sure if the book is intended to be a truly children’s picture book (bec
Jill Jemmett
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This is a great picture book to teach children about political elections.

In this story, Donkey and Elephant are both running for president. They want to convince the reader to vote for them. They use promises and bribes to try to convince you. Then they have a fight and call each other names. In the end, they realize they don’t want to be mean to each other. The election results were a surprising twist at the end.

This story introduces the idea of elections to children. It is based on the donkey
Wayne McCoy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Vote for Me!' with words and pictures by Ben Clanton is truthfully hilarious book about a donkey and an elephant who want your vote.

The reader is urged, on alternating pages, to vote for either the donkey or the elephant. Their pleas get more urgent and eventually lead to name calling and mudslinging. Who will the readers vote for?

Ben Clanton writes hilarious books for young readers, and even though young readers might not get all the meanings here, it's still a fun read, and grown ups should b
Josephine
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Hey, you! Yes, you with the dazzling smile! The donkey wants your vote. So does the elephant. Can you imagine? Each will do just about anything to win your vote. They boast, name call, make dumb promises, exaggerate and act like ill behaved children? As the tension mounts, and these two annoying candidates resort to slinging literal mud balls and tossing insults. Suddenly, the election results are in! Our mud slinging candidates are in for a little surprise as an unknown rises to the position.

W
Kate
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Unfortunately, I just did not love this one. I see what the author was trying to do, but I think their message will just fly way over children’s heads. I’m also personally just not a fan of children’s books that consist entirely of dialogue? I want a story, not a script! Oh well, that’s probably personal preference. As a Ben Clanton fan, I really wanted to love this one, but sadly, it just wasn
Kelsey
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Age: K-3rd grade
Activism: Politics

Donkey and Elephant demonstrate the mudslinging and name-calling that happens during an election. A funny, entertaining introduction for school children to the realities of an election that they will be exposed to, whether adults want it that way or not. With proper follow up and activities, teachers and adults can have excellent discussions about the more negative side of elections and how we can work through it.
SaraKat
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Eh. This is a good explanation for kids about how party politics is much like a kindergarten class at times. The two parties act like immature children and literally sling mud at each other while trying to convince the reader to vote for them. There is not much to this and I'm not sure of the educational value. I prefer my picture books to have more of a message and story than this one did. I'm not sure if it is the book I wasn't excited about or if it is the topic that is so depressing.
Amanda
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I almost put this in "Realistic Fiction" (haha). Little kids won't necessarily get this--they may just think that Elephant and Donkey are being silly? being mean?--but older kids will, though the curve at the end may throw them. Could be good for a discussion or a humorous on our current political system, which is really quite blech sometimes.
Brenda Maier
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two animals attempt to persuade the reader to vote for them, resulting in banter that is both snappy and snippy. I had a really hard time giving this one back to the library, so I'm going to have to buy it.
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It just dawned on me that the characters are a donkey and an elephant. Haha, I get the joke now. When it comes to politics things can get out of hand. This book was written in 2012. I wonder what the book would look like today?
John
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because they fight and fight and fight. They say silly, silly, silly words. And they have a fight with MUD (and it's in a paint bucket, but it says "MUD" on it, and it's not the mud that makes you dirty, I don' think... maybe it is!)
Christine Irvin
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This delightful picture book pokes fun at our political campaigning process while also making a thoughtful point about it. The kid-friendly illustrations, the word bubbles, and the short text will be sure to please young audiences.
Elaine Bearden
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: voting
gr PreS-3rd grade
Great read for talking about voting in an election year, without getting into the current issues. A bit like elephant and piggie because of the emotive characters. Fun and poignant.
Rcltigger
May 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture_books
The illustrations are cute and maybe I would think differently if I wasn't living in the current time, but I'm over the bickering and name calling of politicians and that's what donkey and elephant do for most of the book. They do make peace with each other, but it was just a "meh" for me.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
Such a great book, especially for school aged kids, about how easy it is for political things to become crazy. This book truly brings the madness of politics to a kids level. It's silly and entertaining as well.
Christy Broderick
What a cute and hilarious book for children that introduces voting. I was reminded of Elephant and Piggy with the characters in this book (Donkey and Elephant), so if you like Mo Willems, check out this book for your kiddos. It had me laughing the entire way through!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • The Old Truck
  • A Map Into the World
  • Tomorrow I'll Be Kind
  • Why Do We Cry?
  • Ducks!
Ben Clanton is the author/illustrator of such books as Something Extraordinary, Rex Wrecks It!, Mo's Mustache, Vote for Me!, and The Table Sets Itself. When Ben isn't doodling up stories (and often when he is) he likes to cook, explore outdoors, and play basketball. Ben lives in Seattle, WA with his wife and goldendoodle pup. Find out more about Ben at www.benclanton.com. ...more

News & Interviews