Start by marking “Ex Machina, Vol. 1: Estado de Emergência” as Want to Read:
Ex Machina, Vol. 1: Estado de Emergência

Ex Machina, Vol. 1: Estado de Emergência (Ex Machina #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  9,957 Ratings  ·  477 Reviews
Mitchell Hundred recebeu superpoderes em decorrência de um misterioso incidente e fez exatamente o que qualquer leitor de gibi faria: se tornou um super-herói com identidade secreta, assistentes e até mesmo equipamento especial. Mas colocar a própria vida em risco para defender uma pequena parcela da população parecia pouco para um verdadeiro herói. E então ele fez o que n ...more
Published June 2011 by Panini (first published January 1st 2005)

Patrick
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting mix of political drama and superhero comic.

Short version: I liked it. It's well done. Good narrative. Good story. Smart comic.

The longer version.... Well.... Through no fault of the book itself, I'm afraid this comic is starting to show its age a bit.

The comic was written between 2005 and 2010, and set between 1999 and 2008.

That's not a long time ago historically, or even technologically. But since this book deals with pressing social issues of the day, 7 years is a *ton
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Read a graphic novel.

I really enjoyed this first volume (I think it contained the first 5 serials) about a politician who has developed the ability to talk to machines after a mysterious accident. I only wish I had the other volumes in the series! Argh!!

Mitchell Hundred is injured in a mysterious explosion and suddenly finds himself able to communicate with machines. Sometimes, this ability really helps him (such as telling a gun being used to assassinate him to jam) but at other times,
Dan Schwent
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Mitchell Hundred, formerly the super hero known as The Great Machine, gets elected mayor of New York. From there, he deals with a blizzard, a controversial painting, a sleazeball trying to blackmail him, and a killer killing snowplow drivers.

I can't BELIEVE I didn't pick this up before now! BKV and Tony Harris make a good team. I really liked how the story shifted back and forth from Hundred's mayoral term to his former super hero career. The supporting cast was very well developed. The fact tha
Mad Tom

It's interesting to see where BKV got his roots. Saga is space opera, it's a huge idea, and Paper Girls is zany 80s fantasy. Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina are similar in their restraint. They both have their quirks but they're modest, more concerned with dialog and tight plotting than big ideas.

The idea here is a super hero, The Great Machine, albeit not a very good one who controls machines, retires and runs for mayor. It's part social commentary, part crime procedural, but with BKV's signatu
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Set around the year 2000, Ex Machina (Volume 1) The First Hundred Days concocts a New York city politics-filled drama mixed in with a dose of realistic superhero vigilantism. Writer of countless renown series such as Saga, Y: The Last Man and Paper Girls, Brian K. Vaughan offers us the story of Mitchell Hundred as he randomly lives through a freak accident that presents him with never-before-seen superpowers. This volume collects issues #1-5 and
Sesana
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
As far as slightly unconventional superhero stories go, Ex Machina is (so far) one of the more interesting one. Mitchell Hundred starts his career as a superhero in a fairly conventional way. From what we've seen so far in flashbacks, he made the usual, realistic mistakes, and had the usual, realistic results, both positive and negative. The change comes when Hundred decides that he can have more positive impact as mayor than as superhero. It's an interesting setup, and so far, it seems to be wo ...more
Jerry Bennett
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still my very favorite work from BKV. I feel like this takes the superhero genre and infuses it with the perfect dose of reality. While definitely not for young readers, it has Vaughn's perfect blend of wit, suspense, and charm, all infused into a thoughtfully told story of using your best talents to save the world, which may not always be superpowers.
Licha
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
Vol. 1 of 10

It was good but for some reason I had no inclination to pick up the book and read it. I don't know if this is too political for my taste. Do I want to waste time and energy on this? Does the fact that I have to push myself to read this trump over the fact that once I'm reading it I'm enjoying the story?

Quick catch-up so I remember what this volume is about: Mitch Hundred, mayor of NYC, is dealing with someone killing off the snow plowmen and also dealing with a controversial piece o
Joshua
May 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I'm not usually a fan of "realistic" superhero comics. Too often, "gritty" and "realistic" means creating dislikable characters and putting them in grim situations in the mistaken idea that this makes the comic "deep," whereas I just find them boring (at best).

But Ex Machina is a fairly realistic story of a man given amazing powers who becomes a costumed crimefighter, only to quickly decide he's doing more harm than good as a superhero and could do more good in politics, as mayor of New York Cit
Nick
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A radically different approach to the whole superhero concept...a man who suddenly gains great power, already trained in having great responsibility...but who is a better politician than he is a superhero.
I couldn't put it down once I started reading it, and will read the other volumes, but it isn't for everyone. Politics, crime and terrorism, minor and major, are the battles waged here, not slugfests against other costumed characters. The story is more pulp noir than superhero, and that works j
Rob McMonigal
I really wish I liked Brian K. Vaughan's "edgy" comics work more. I can't get myself to really like Y: The Last Man, and I can't get myself to like this one, either...

Collecting the first five issues of Ex Machina, the basic plot here is that a superhero who got zapped by the Brooklyn Bridge to be able to talk to machines decides to quit and run for mayor. A hero on September 11th--he managed to prevent one of the planes from flying into the Twin Towers, leading to a gratuitous ending shot to th
Nikki
This is an interesting take on the superhero genre, with a man randomly granted powers and first attempting to use them as a superhero, ‘The Great Machine’, before giving up on that and turning to politics in order to make a real difference. I’m not a huge fan of the art, but it’s not bad or distracting; there’s just something about it I don’t quite get on with, especially when it comes to faces.

There’s really a lot more to this story than can be packed into one volume, and in a way I wanted to
Jedhua
Book Info: This collection contains Ex Machina issues #1-5.

{2.5+/5 stars}

description

Mitchell Hundred, the protagonist of Ex Machina, is an ex-superhero (called The Great Machine) turned New York City mayor. He's essentially a telepath, except instead of reading and controlling human minds, he claims dominion over machines and certain compounds. In terms of personality, he's just the typical "regular guy" protagonist. This is something Vaughan has done already with Yorick Brown in Y ; think of Mitchell a
Mike
Brian K Vaughan is a master of dead-fun dialogue. Y'know, I might even say...nah. Brian Michael Bendis is still my king of "taking the piss out of another character", but Vaughan is a butt-hair second place:

And this is a perfect take on "superheroes" - they're reckless, self-indulgent and rarely accountable for their actions. What would happen when one of them tried to do some *real* good, after getting their powers?

Compelling are the characters - richly nuanced, flawed, assholes and weirdos, l
Chelsea
3.5.

I don't really know how I feel about this book?

I love Brian K. Vaughn because he has diverse casts in all of his series and they never feel like he just shoved them there just because. His casts always have more than one woman, in different age ranges and usually he has members of the lgbtqia community. This one doesn't have any of the latter but it's just the first book.

So, the plot is interesting. There was a twitter post going around about how Batman could've helped Gotham more by fundi
Wendy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Mitchel Hundred is America's first superhero, created by a freak accident that gives him control over machinery. With the help of his two friends, he dons the identity The Great Machine and takes of the responsibility of saving New York from evil. Only, unlike in the comic books, this -- erm -- comic book quickly points out that super heroes tend to cause more trouble than they think they do, especially for the authorities. Eventually, following 9/11, Hundred takes off his mask to run for mayor ...more
RB
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brian K. Vaughan's "Ex Machina, Vol. 1" may be a victim of time having gone on and the Bush era having already been explored elsewhere, but it still manages to be one damn enjoyable superhero story. Our protagonists gift is unique and the narrative shifting back and forth works due to the flashbacks not being stretched out. The side cast, while winking at us that yes it's another black sidekick, still has a black side kick alongside a new girl who just so happens to be a knock-out blonde--defyin ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I don't particularly care for politics in my comics as a general rule, but this might be the exception. The concept feels fresh, a man acquires special powers but kind of sucks at the whole vigilante thing so he decides to make a different by becoming a politician. It was actually a lot more interesting than it sounds.

The main character has unique powers and the story moves quick and integrates the present politician with the past vigilante quiet effectively.
Yonaily
The First Hundred Days... I get it now! Pretty late, though. I didn't pay much attention to this one. A political thriller with superhero vibes.... Hell yeah! Sadly, it didn't work for me. I liked Mitchell, but the rest of the characters bored me. .
Afro Madonna🍋
I didn't even finish this because the dialogue got to me . Absolute trash in places where it mattered . It made me mad . Nope . Nope . Nope . Fuck this . I don't even care if it gets better . Fuck it .
La Biblio Geek
Ce n'est pas mon comic préféré de Brian K. Vaughan, je me suis parfois un peu perdue dans la chronologie non linéaire. C'est un comic tout de même intéressant et intriguant, malgré sa lourdeur et certain dialogue qui s'étire parfois en longueur. Je n'étais pas fan de la traduction également. Mieux vaut lire la VO.
Martin
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Years ago, I’d read Ex Machina up until the seventh volume (Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra) and then, because of shipping delays and some impatience on my part, and despite the fact that I really liked this series, I’d sold off the books. In late December of 2012, due to the fact that I really wanted to read this series again (and also because my LCS was having a 40% off sale), I got all 5 Deluxe Editions and re-read the whole thing in something like six days.

The story structure of Ex Machina
Josh
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
(Series overview review - 6/14/16) Here is a brief review of the entire series now that I've completed reading it. My original review of Vol. 1 is below.
So, "Ex Machina" begins with a wonderful premise that I enjoyed all the way through the series. In addition to the political-superhero dynamics, I loved seeing an everyday guy attempt (often badly) to be a superhero in the modern day. The central storyline of the series is interesting and kept me wanting to know more. The ending of the story, wh
Corto Maltese
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Damn! Am I late on this one.

I have just recently discovered Brian K. Vaughan as a writer, since I read the first volume of "Y" a while back and wasn't overly impressed by it, even not to the point where I would have been curious about the further development of the story (sue me).
I was charmed a lot by the first 3 volumes of "Saga" though and decided to give his other major series a chance.
"Ex Machina" dragged me in from the first pages. I will not go into the plot (never understood what retelli
Punk
Jun 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Graphic Novel. Mitchell Hundred is a civil engineer turned reluctant hero turned politician. Hundred has the power to control virtually any mechanical device, but his attempts to fight crime often end in property damage or injury and he decides to give up his life as The Great Machine and run for mayor of New York instead.

This is set in a post-9/11 New York, and while it's not a huge part of the story, it is part of Hundred's life and there's a moment somewhere near the middle that kind of felt
Jeff
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be quite enjoyable. So many questions raised and left unanswered (hopefully in the following volumes). Although due to this being an election year the biggest one I had was how did an independent third party candidate win the NYC mayoral election?

I found the main character's super power of being able to communicate with complex machines to be fascinating and original (at least to me). At this stage in the superhero game (DC and Marvel aside) it has to be near impossible to think
Greg Handley
Having a hard time getting into this story. The characters don't come across as likeable or intriguing. The dialogue is ridiculous and is hard to take seriously.

Half-way through and I'm having a hard time finding the redeeming value. Everything seems a little obnoxious in this thus far, from facial expressions, all of the situations, the dialogue, and the premise.

Where as with different comics you have an understanding of an idea the character stands for which you know to take serious as it is
Caroline
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is a re-read. I might love it even better the second time around. I remember I read the first four volumes basically in one sitting, last year. Kind of wish I could do that again.

Cutting and pasting my review from when I first read it: I have a thing for heroes who are also politicians. It seems to get me every time. Mitchell Hundred, the protagonist of this series, is like a weird love child of Tony Stark and Jed Bartlett, with a working class/Bohemian background thrown in. The series has
Amanda
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Neil Spitovsky
Like many stories before it, Ex Machina is set in an alternate New York. In this New York, the mayor, Mitchcell Hundred, has the power to control machines -- guns, phones, radios, etc. -- a gift bestowed upon him by an accident with a mysterious green substance on the Brooklyn Bridge. Newly elected after a brief stint of superheroism which seems to have included saving one of the towers on 9/11, Mayor Hundred struggles not only with his superpowers, which the NSA has forbidden him to use, but re ...more
Nadine Jones
THIS is what graphic novels should be. It's engaging, fascinating, contemporary, original, sometimes funny, thought provoking, and a little disturbing. Count me in as an official fan of Mr Vaughan.

Mitchell Hundred developed the ability to communication with machines after a bizarre - and never understood - accident. He dicks around as a super hero for a while, even steps in during the September 11 attack, and then retires and runs for NYC mayor. And deals with a lot of the usual shit.

I know that
  • Planetary, Volume 2: The Fourth Man
  • DMZ, Vol. 2: Body of a Journalist
  • Astro City, Vol. 3: Family Album
  • Invincible, Vol. 6: A Different World
  • Sleeper, Vol. 2: All False Moves
  • Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 6: Six Feet Under the Gun
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Ex Machina (10 books)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 2: Tag (Ex Machina, #2)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 3: Fact v. Fiction  (Ex Machina, #3)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 4: March to War (Ex Machina, #4)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 5: Smoke, Smoke (Ex Machina, #5)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Power Down (Ex Machina, #6)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra (Ex Machina, #7)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 8: Dirty Tricks (Ex Machina, #8)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 9: Ring Out the Old (Ex Machina, #9)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 10: Term Limits (Ex Machina, #10)
“Christ, I walk through an inferno unscatched, then singe my ass on the flight back."

[...]

"You guys are the ... the heart and brain of the Great Machine."

"Yeah? Then you're the inflamed anus."

"You're not the brain, by the way.”
2 likes
“Everything good in New York used to be something awful, I guess."

"And everything awful used to be something good.”
0 likes