Start by marking “Chaos Walking: A Trilogy (Chaos Walking #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Chaos Walking: A Trilogy (Chaos Walking #1-3)

Chaos Walking: A Trilogy

(Chaos Walking #1-3)

3 titles in one from the Chaos Walking Trilogy.
Paperback, UK edition
Published 2010 by Walker

To ask other readers questions about Chaos Walking, please sign up.
Emma Wright I would suggest high school because, while representing the accents and the way some of the characters speak, the Author uses incorrect spelling to…moreI would suggest high school because, while representing the accents and the way some of the characters speak, the Author uses incorrect spelling to show the character's education. This would be very confusing to people in Primary school.(less)
Kitty Estrogen is a Noise inhibitor. Only female humans have it. That's why everyone/thing on the planet has Noise and women don't.

Julliana
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chaos Walking was one of those books that ruins your life. You feel so much for it that you feel like you want to finish it yet you don't want it to end. It's the kind of book you'll be thinking of weeks or even months after you finished reading it. It's not like the Hunger Games. It has a different story and Chaos Walking effected my life more than the Hunger Games did. They are both amazing books, I can say that, but they are not the same. Both of them are different in their own ways and they ...more
Book_Lover_8
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

Let me tell you why I absolutely love this book:

1. Todd and Viola - they're probably one of the best YA literary couples of all time. why? No insta-love and a real connection between them. (view spoiler)
2. I actually felt what the characters were feeling! This hasn't
Lydia
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia
Trilogies are becoming very common in YA literature, with the implication that if there are three of them, then the books must be really good. What I see is a pattern of an excellent first book, followed by two mediocre ones, or sliding scale of quality. Let's call this the "Matrix" effect. This series reminded me a lot of the Hunger Games: stellar first book, tons of action, big cliffhanger...then the next two books do little to further the plot, are full of padding and repeats, and are in shor ...more
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Wait, is this... the whole series in one book?
Because I need that.
Beka
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm reviewing this trilogy as a single book, because that's how I devoured it. This is another one of the young adult books that tackles a morally ambiguous universe in a clear-eyed, realistic, and useful way, without skimping on all the other elements that make young adult fantasy so great (aliens, a love story, struggles for power!, enhanced mental abilities, a long journey, talking animals, etc.)

You can read the synopsis of the story anywhere else, so I'll just say the essentials here: A worl
Elizabeth
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia
This is a really interesting planet in which everybody can hear and see the chaotic inner thoughts of men, animals, and the sentient native humanoid aliens. But the constant information has driven most people a little crazy...and one megalomaniac a LOT crazy. I couldn't put the books down, but I'm kind of glad to be leaving the craziness behind at the same time.

Because through three entire books two innocent, good-hearted teenagers are chased, controlled, betrayed, and nearly killed by the adult
Cassie
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this series because I was intrigued by the titles of the first two books. A book with a title like "The Knife of Never Letting Go" has to be good, right? And yes, I was right.
I sacrifice a little of my anti-war reading (okay, I have no such thing, but I did skip a few pages in Monsters of Men--didn't want that picture in my head) to read from this brilliant author. All first person with great voice. This was one of the few times where a story was told from multiple points of view--bo
Keri Roberts
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this trilogy, absolutely brilliant
Siobhan
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
In all honesty, this series surprised me more than I expected it to. I went in not expecting much only to find I enjoyed it much more than a lot of other young adult trilogies I have read.

To begin with I feared the worst, the writing style being rather off-putting. After a much shorter period of time than I had expected, I was soon overlooking the writing style as I found the story truly gripping. As soon as I finished one book I was picking up the next, then working my way through the short sto
Holly Brown
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great trilogy

With such a unique idea, Ness had me hooked from the prequel. Every bit as good as The Maze Runner. The story lagged a bit near the end, but lacked the annoying, whining protagonist teenagers that so many books are centered on. I immediately purchased more works by Ness, and plan to keep to a look out. I expect this will be the next big thing.
Erin
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, this book is amazing.
Tiffany
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-hug
excellent!!!! I literally read this everywhere I went, I really love Todd Hewitt and of course Manchee!!!

Ow, Todd??
Brooke Mackowiak
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read these books eight long years ago, at the age of twelve, and I thoroughly enjoyed them, but they didn't really come to mind as my "favorite" books. For the longest time, I simply claimed The Hunger Games as favorites (pardon the inevitable ill-fitting comparison to a different YA trilogy), but that has begun to feel stale, like I'm not being entirely honest when I say it. About a month ago, I was struck with a sudden urge to reread the Chaos Walking trilogy, and I found myself loving ...more
Sadia Ferdous
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In one word: Brilliant! I would just like to comment on the writing style. I mean, you don't see young adult novels that utilize dialects. It's beautifully done, really. And the pain,the raw pain and the emotions! My god the series is breathtaking! The pacing is just right and it's almost perfection... almost. I've rarely ever given any book a full rating and as tempted as I was to give this one as 5/5, I'd rather not cross that line. The series is incredible though, my personal favorite being t ...more
lixy
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
As with Hunger Games, the first book was compelling, well-written and addictive, but the next two books failed to hold my intereest. I ended up skimming them for story, but even so was rather bored by the continuing war and conflict plot and the predictable not-quite-fulfilled romance, both of which I found dragged out way too long. I think publishers like the idea of trilogies and pay by the length, encouraging authors to go on in tediously repetitive fashion.
Linda
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing trilogy. This is classified as young adult, but I highly recommend it for adults. The writing is rich, the story riveting, and the characters are unique and distinctive.

One caveat: Plan to read all three books at once. These books don't stand independently; they are really a big fat novel broken into three parts, each increasing in complexity.
Stella Chen
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I. Need. This.
Ángel
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
Mi trilogía favorita por siempre y para siempre.
audrika (kxnji)
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series had the biggest cliffhanger I've ever seen and it's amazing
Highness Atharva
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Complete Chaos Walking Trilogy
Chaos Walking Book 1
*The Knife of Never Letting Go*
Absolutely Stunning! I've been looking forward to read this book since I saw it rest on around 20 of my Goodreads friend's favorite shelf. So I thought, I'd give this a shot. And this was just way more than I expected. The Knife of Never Letting Go is the first and foremost book in the Chaos Walking Trilogy and the debut work of the author Patrick Ness. He surely has done a great work for his debut! The book is set
Andrea
Goodreads

What I'm Reading Now (and/or listening to right now):

The Knife of Never Letting Go
The Ask and the Answer

1. Holy Moly! Where do I even begin?
2. The audiobook of this series is so well done and the narration adds a tremendous amount to the ebb and flow of the stories, but also seeing Ness' use or font, etc. adds to the story. So if you decide to listen to it, at least during book 1, just take a quick look at the text when you have a chance.
3. This series came highly recommended and I was
Steph!
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say, I was pretty impressed with this series, and the moral dilemas it CONSTANTLY brings up. Really intense and interesting themes through the book and a mostly non-cheasy evolution of the characters. It brings up a lot of difficult questions, and as a reader you think you know the obvious solutions, but I think Ness does a good job of stressing that doing a thing, even if it's necessary/deserved, doesn't leave you undamaged. The "love story" is actually not that intense (which I appre ...more
Rose
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really good story and I am not going to tell you about it. You have to read it for yourself. I personally hate it when I read a review that is actually a book-report. I'll tell you what you need to know - I considered it MORE than worth the time invested to read it!!

This is a story of "doing the right thing". Todd and Viola seem to be put to the test constantly and in the end (of course) come out victorious, but that's not to stay it was a storybook ending. It almost read like a futur
Mrs.Martin's-Recommendation
Sci-Fi - This is one of my favorite series! It was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm so glad he suggested it. I finished these lengthy books in no time! I had to find out what happened to Todd and Viola! Todd lives on the planet, New World, where men can hear everyone and everything's thoughts (men and animals). This is due to the Noise germ that the native species, the Spackle, spread during a war. This germ killed all the women on the planet, but as Todd realizes his town is keeping some ...more
Kevin
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This trilogy. Such an interesting start and concept for a new world - being able to hear other's thoughts. All the chaos and fear and anger that comes with that.
The characters come alive - I feel like I knew them. But be prepared not all heros or villains are what they seem. And by the end of the trilogy, they do not all survive. The third book was a roller coaster for me - being super hopeful at times, and other times being SO frustrated.
This series is a great look into perceptions and how (mu
Lona Brunton
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I decided to write one review for all three books in the Chaos Walking Series, as it felt like one big epic. I really enjoyed these books. The men's "noise" was an intriguing premise, and the considerations in the later books suggesting that not having "noise" was not necessarily a good thing gave me pause for contemplation. I liked the main character ... he was not too strong or immune to being manipulated; he was real - he got duped a few times! And he was good - I liked that! A dystopian scie ...more
Concetta Dwyer
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent trilogy. Love the realism of Todd and Viola with the mild scifi feel of settlers from another world and the Noise. There were some parts where I couldn't stop reading for hours, but then a few parts where I was quite bored by the lack of action. Love the way it's written in separate point of views, especially to show the effect Noise has on the different people/groups.
Overall a definite must read in my opinion for anyone who loves young adult lit.
Dunia Afaneh
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictive!!!

I couldn't put the book down I finished all three in a week!! ( and yes I have work and school and I still read it that fast) Amazing!!
Julie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book.

Indigenous peoples and colonists have to figure out how to share New World with killing each other in the process. Of course the evil madman tries to ruin all, while the hero and heroine try to save all. A good trilogy.
Anna Micheal
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series has come to be my favorite of all time. The writing is brilliant, bringing each character to live through the books. I’m not sure if I’ll ever come across such a unique, unpredictable trilogy in my lifetime. I’d recommend this to anyone who can read.
For Love of a Book: Chaos Walking 10 30 Mar 19, 2019 06:29AM
All the Books!: Chaos Walking 2 1 Dec 30, 2018 09:22AM
NZ Intermediate S...: Chaos Walking Trilogy 1 12 Jan 06, 2018 02:59PM
Is there any type of romance here? 1 5 Dec 28, 2017 02:08AM
Radio Patio: Caos Walking, Patrick Ness 1 15 Sep 17, 2016 04:31PM
YA Addicts: Chaos Walking trilogy 3 11 Mar 26, 2014 05:27AM
  • Rain (Blackwater, #6)
  • Dead Demon Walking (Whisperings, #3)
  • Sanctuary (After Days Trilogy #2)
  • Apex Cypher (Code Breakers #0)
  • Earthman Jack vs. The Secret Army (The Earthman Jack Space Saga, #2)
  • The Meq
  • The Colour Out of Space
  • A Path to Utopia
  • Flood and Fire (Raiders' Ransom, #2)
  • Thirty Miles South Of Dry County
  • Yesterday's Gone: Season Five (Episodes 25-30)
  • The Ballad of Valentine
  • Where The Dead Men Lie (Secret Apocalypse, #3)
  • Avenge (Patronus, #2)
  • Nightcrawlers
  • Kellie's Diary #3
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1-3)
  • Hiding Edith: A True Story
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3)
“To say you have no choice is to release yourself from responsibility and that’s not how a person with integrity acts.” 4 likes
“To allow someone, anyone, to suffer is the greatest sin there is.” 2 likes