Start by marking “Roald Dahl's gruwelijke rijmen” as Want to Read:
Roald Dahl's gruwelijke rijmen

Roald Dahl's gruwelijke rijmen

Je denkt misschien: dit ken ik al,
maar dat is heus niet het geval.
Het echte verhaal van Assepoester
is heel wat bloederiger en woester.
Men heeft er vroeger iets slaps van gebrouwen
om zoete kindertjes zoet te houden.

Zo begint in dit boek met bekende sprookjes het verhaal van Assepoester. En heus, het is echt allemaal veel bloederiger en woester.... laat dat maar aan Roald
Published 1982 by De Fontein

Start your review of Roald Dahl's gruwelijke rijmen
Mariah Roze
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I really enjoyed this book full of short stories! All the short stories were remakes of fairy tales. They were all gruesome and some of them even intertwined.

I highly suggest this book for anyone that likes fairy tales and/or anyone that likes Roald Dahl. I really feel this was one of his best works, even though it is really short.
Elise
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humour.
I'm not going to review this, I'm simply going to point out to many of the previous reviewers that the word "slut" is defined as "a dirty, untidy, or slovenly woman". It is only in the past 20 years, or so, that the word has commonly become associated with sexual morality (or the lack thereof). Especially given Roald Dahl's age when he wrote this in the 1980s, I'm pretty certain that he did not mean it to have any sexual connotation, especially since cinderella is, by definition, someone who ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Revolting Rhymes (Paperback) by Roald Dahl is a book I read to my kids and then to my grandkids. This book has given everyone giggles in our house from the very young to the very old. It is the kind of book that never grows old itself. It is a keeper. I still have it from many years ago. I can not count how many times this poor book has been read! It was worth every penny.
Quirkyreader
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another major laugh riot from Dahl. I kept cracking up when I was reading this at work.
Dash fan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of my favourite Dahl books
Fairy tales with a gruesome twist. Like poetry that flies off the page.
Spent many a day reading this book with delight and laughter.
Have introduced it to my cousin who is now old enough to appreciate the exciting tales as the Characters jump off the page.
Highly recommend if your wanting something a lil quirky and different to read. That will have you giggling at the crazy tales.
Enjoy!
Manny
The best poems in this collection are true masterpieces of satire. Here's the start of Cinderella:

"I guess you think you know this story.
You don't. The real one's much more gory.
The phoney one, the one you know,
Was cooked up years and years ago,
And made to sound all soft and sappy
just to keep the children happy.
Mind you, they got the first bit right,
The bit where, in the dead of night,
The Ugly Sisters, jewels and all,
Departed for the Palace Ball,
While darling little Cinderella
Was locked up in a
Matt
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
A short compendium of fifteen tales told by one of the great children's storytellers of all time. Dahl uses his wonderful rhyming ability to re-tell some of the better known fairy tales to 'set the record straight'. Children can marvel at all the things they will learn from Dahl and his mind that spills full of wonderful ideas. From there, Dahl takes the reader on to recount a few lesser known members of the animal kingdom, all of whom have special abilities. Sure to entertain and impress, Dahl ...more
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Leave it to Roald Dahl to grab me by the collar, and drag me out of a reading slump right before exams.
Bettie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC TV Watchers
Description: Do you think Cinderella married the prince and lived happily ever after, and that the three little pigs outsmarted the wolf? Think again! Premier storyteller Roald Dahl twists the fate of six favorite fairy tales, in this picture book edition with vibrant new cover art by Quentin Blake. Fairy tales have never been more revolting!

Anthony Vacca
Not nearly as revolting as I would have liked, but still nice rhyming takedowns of some popular fairy tales. The best bit is the femme fatale take on Little Red Riding Hood. Never mess with a girl who knows how to handle herself around wolves.
Josh Girard
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was alright. The twist's of the stories where kinda funny. It was short and average so I picked it up and kinda liked it.
Rue
Jan 23, 2020 marked it as teenage-books  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage-read
source-38
Cover makes more sense now~
I don't know how this will hold up for a kid cause it's too twisted. Most tales in it are gruesome unlike the original tales.This was quite different than I expected and i sure had fun reading it.
Miranda Reads
Dahl manages to revive old, worn fairy tales into quirky, fun adventures. Each story surprised me with the ending - often darker than the stories that we are used to (Disney!).

I loved the little twists that he gives to other little fairy tales.
Ah, Piglet, you must never trust
Young ladies from the upper crust.

Audiobook Comments
Read by Tamsin Greig, Stephen Mangan and Miriam Margolyes - they really knocked this audiobook out of the park!

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat
Katy
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, favourites
This was one of my favourite books as a child, I love Roald Dahls wit in turning the fairytales we all know and love on their heads. There are six revolting rhymes retelling famous tales such as Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk and Little Red Riding Hood, each one being full of gruesome details and full of satire. I love how these are really entertaining for children but also very amusing for adults as well, a talent Roald Dahl possesses in spades. ...more
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
I don't know how I went 30 years without this book in my life. Dahl retells some classic fairytales - and ends with an amazing mashup of Red Riding Hood and the 3 Littles Pigs - with the perfect amount of fun and sharp, creepy humor. I made my husband read it immediately after I finished, and I think writing this review just inspired a quick reread for me.
Liam
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i laughed out loud more times than i would care to admit as a 21 year old but i had a great time so who cares !
Sara
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, adults, rhymers
Sometimes when I'm hanging out with Patrick, Jeff will come home and hijack him, and they'll start doing something together that I can't or don't want to do. Tonight it was Excite Truck on the Nintendo Wii, so I retreated to my room and finished reading an essay by Susan Orlean about Bankock's Khao San Road in an old Best American Travel Writing, and then I read the entire book Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl. This book was a real treat due entirely to its cleverness.

So, then, a little later, we
Ronyell
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children ages 7 and up
"Revolting Rhymes" is truly a revolting series of famous fairy tales that have horror twist to each one. My most favorite story out this book is "Jack and the Beanstalk" where Jack has to deal with his insensitive mother while getting some golden leaves from the giant's beanstalk.

Quentin Blake's illustrations are both funny and scary at the same time and Roald Dahl's rhyming for this book is fantastic. For anyone who love revolting tales from Roald Dahl, "Revolting Rhymes" is definitely the book
Hana
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember the last time I read rhymes.. Decades, perhaps? I absolutely loved this collection and had a blast reading all of them out loud (to my self ^_^") and with impressions too!

This is interestingly enough the end of classic stories as we know them. I think I like Dahl's version, though.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Short but too, too sweet! I just love fairy tale twists (see my Warning! review from the other day). Dahl' s rhymes are ingenious. That could not have been easy. He may be my favorite children's author.
☽•☾-Grimalkin-☽•☾
Gruesome retelling of classic fairy tales, very funny and clever!
I love Roald Dahl's books as he never fails to disappoint on being witty and darkly humoured. x
Noha
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
I enjoyed it so much !

I love how he's retelling our childhood tales with a funny and a little savage plot twist
Karessa A.
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually pretty engaging. When reading all the different versions of classic fairy tales they are extremely predictable especially as you get older but this book was just enough of older content mixed with the classic fairytales that everyone enjoys. I recommend this book to anyone that wants a quick, short (Connor) poem book to read.
Harper Averitt
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really funny and I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of twist and turns that I really enjoyed.
itchy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
ah, that's more like it
Samantha Sterling
This book is a collection of children's fairy tales... but with a twist! This book includes classics such as: Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. Roald Dahl has cleverly made these classic fairy tales fun, revolting and sometimes rather gruesome. The book is suitable for both children and adults, I loved them as a child and still find them very entertaining now. This book would be ...more
Lavinia
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2010, in-en
Too good to be missed. If you read the presentation, you'll notice that Dahl reinterpreted 6 famous tales, in verse, and added his own personal touch. I'm pretty sure they're all free on different sites, or the ebook as a whole. I found Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs in a bit.
Kirsty
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, june-2017
Still just as good when read as an adult. Trust me.
Jinn
4.5/5

Khi bạn nghĩ mình đã rành quá mấy cái Lọ Lem mới chả Bạch Tuyết đồ rồi nhưng vẫn phải hết hồn khi đọc Revolting Rhymes vì sao nó thô mà cũng 'thật' quá thể.
She held him very tight and pressed
herself against his manly chest.
The Prince himself was turned to pulp,
All he could do was gasp and gulp.
Then midnight struck. She shouted, Heck!
Ive got to run to save my neck!
The Prince cried, No! Alas! Alack!
He grabbed her dress to hold her back.
As Cindy shouted, Let me go!
The dress was ripped from
Elizabeth Jamieson
What an absolutely hilarious book! I used this book for one of my teaching placements in Year 3. Our main focus in English was looking at the use of drama, so the children, in pairs, each chose a poem from this book. They were all weird and wonderful, and the children absolutely howled with laughter when they were rehearsing the poems. I have never seen a class so engaged with poems before! The children performed their dramatic monologues of the poems, with the use of body and hand gestures, and ...more

• Little Miss Naughty
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • This Is Our Constitution: Discover America with a Gold Star Father
  • Attack of the Snack
  • Fungus the Bogeyman
  • Números pares, impares e idiotas
  • Mr. Lazy (Mr. Men, #17)
  • Little Miss Birthday
  • The Book of Saints and Heroes
  • Charles Darwin (Little Guides to Great Lives)
  • Little Miss Helpful

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as A Piece of Cake. The story, about his wartime