Start by marking “Throne” as Want to Read:
Throne

Throne

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
With talking foxes and golden owls, with paths that lead into the land the dead and others into faerie, with battles raging down Fifth Avenue and impossible labyrinths hidden in the depths of New York City, Throne is as much a tale of wonder and dread as it is of the trials of the heart.

Maribel thought she had it all: a professional career in modeling, a burgeoning one in
Published November 11th 2011 by TransientMe LLC (first published May 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Throne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Throne

Natalie
I don't read a lot of fantasy, unless Clive Barker's or Neil Gaiman's names are prominently displayed on the cover; too often, it's the same old dragons-and-sorcery borefest. Maybe I'm too snobby, and maybe I'm missing out on some great books because of this. I certainly greatly enjoyed Philip Tucker's dark urban fantasy novella Throne.

I was impressed right away with the fact that the two main characters are women; both are fully fleshed-out, sympathetic, and feel like real people, not the fant
Phil Tucker
Nov 28, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kara-karina
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
This is a fairy tale the way I like them, dark, disturbing, ancient in its battle between Good and Evil and gripping. This is also not a YA to my relief despite one of the characters being a 16-year old girl. I am tired of Holly Black and Julie Kagawa, give me War for the Oaks and Pan's Labyrinth, pretty please.

If you like the latter, this book is for you.

Both the main protagonists, or shall I say, antagonists? are women forged in tragedy and pain.

Maribel is a model and a talented photograp
P. Kirby
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice departure from the canned "tough girl with a chip on her shoulder" version of urban fantasy being flogged to death by publishers. I could live a looong happy life and NEVER read another Anita Blake clone.

The story follows two women: Maya, a teenager and recent immigrant (Brazil), and Mirabel, a former model turned photographer. Each woman's life is changed when she discovers the magical world hidden right beneath/next to our own and is recruited into an ancient, recurring battle between t
Chris
Disclosure: The author of this book sent me a free kindle edition.

Urban fantasy is extremely popular. You even have an HBO series. Of course, most Urban Fantasy is interchangeable. Get a pretty girl, add werewolf with a side of vampire. If you feel like spicy things up, add various weres (is there a were-camel yet?) with a side order of fairy or witch.
There is some missing though. All these creatures have gone though the neutering process. Werewolves are just big fuzzy dogs, vampires lack canine
Steve Cran
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fairy story worthy of mention perhaps in league with the works Laini Black, Holly Block and Melissa Marr. While I would not put these fairy writer on par with Stephen King or Edgar Allan Poe it does make for some exciting reading. The fairy world here is filled with both light and dark. The fae here are very believable and for all those Pagans out there the phooka is a bad guy.

There are two tales that run independently then intersect at the end. The story starts of with Maribel coming to a hos
Renae (Romantic Parvenu)
The concept for Phil Tucker’s Throne is quite interesting, and I thought it had a lot of promise. Two human women find themselves fighting a battle that deals with fairies and other weird creatures. That story, ideally, could be amazing. Unfortunately, I found that Throne, while theoretically amazing, was severely lacking in the areas of presentation, contstruction, and continuity.

Tucker’s prose, for instance, isn’t bad; it’s simply in need of polishing. At times, I felt that he’d had a little t
Harris
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
Disclaimer*

A vivid, deliciously dark old school urban fantasy, Philip Tucker's novel “Throne” is a gripping (if slightly disjointed) intertwining and tragic tale of two women who find themselves drawn into the otherworldly conflict between the Seelie and the Unseelie courts. The age old conflict of the dark and light fey folk find our immigrant heroines Maya and Mirabel unconsciously slipping closer to either side of the dualistic conflict. Such distinctly folkloric tales drawing deeply from th
C
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is self published and 2.99 on Amazon.com. Just wanted to put that up there first.

The author gave me a complimentary copy of the book to read and enjoy, given my previous enjoyment of Charles de Lint's Moonheart. Throne, like Moonheart, straddles two worlds, and falls into the "urban fantasy" genre.

What I loved:
The book is rich with imagery. He did a beautiful job of taking the reader into a surreal underworld and combining reality with faerie. The Unseelie were wonderfully creepy and
Ali
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All fans of Fever series by Karen Marie Moning!!
Recommended to Ali by: Goodreads :)
Dawn
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So much is forgiven of good characters. There are some huge structural and pacing problems with this book, and some more minor problems with language. I can forgive a lot of them because of half a dozen of the characters. There are some places things are forced where they should have been let loose, and one place, the first encounter between the Queen and Lady, where the energy just drops dead as a stone. When your protagonist wonders out loud why she's fluttering around doing nothing, the reade ...more
Debbie
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Tucker brings urban fantasy back to its roots with this dark and gritty story of humans who become unwitting pawns in the struggle between the two Sidhe courts.

The writing is fabulous. I wish the characters had been fleshed out more, because no matter how much time I spent with them I still never felt like I knew them, especially Maribel. The pacing also felt like it needed to be tightened up a bit; much of the book were Maribel and Maya stumbling blindly through the plot, and neither they nor t
Lacey
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great story, very different view of the Seelie/Unseelie court. I got this book as a free read through an Amazon Prime trial. I was ambivalent about what I was currently rereading and wanted something dark and intriguing, this book is definitely that. I loved the setting of New York for a crossroads between the Fae and humans, something I have not seen anywhere else before. I was pulled right in after the first few chapters by the lives of the main characters. I couldn't wait to see how Maribel a ...more
Kaylyn Harrell
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I typically don't read much fantasy but this was one I enjoyed. Having downloaded it free from Amazon I figured it wouldn't be that great but I was surprised by how much I liked it. I loved how it was set in New York City and how the faery world was entwined. I couldn't wait to see what happened next so it was a very fast read for me.
Xenophon Hendrix
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
The writing, in the sense of putting words in a line, is competent enough, but to my taste, the author is too in love with his descriptions and similes. The end result is boring and a chore to wade through. There is one nice bit tying Faerie and the Matter of Britain to Greek mythology, but by itself it wasn't enough to sustain my interest. The novel isn't wretched, but I didn't like it.
vincent melinn
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok

I enjoyed throne but the writing lacked discipline
Not as good as his epic or empire
Need to realise less is more
As usual his characters are real and you feel empathy with them
Nicole
Dec 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was not that good. It seemed to jump back and forth and it wasn't until halfway through that you finally had a little idea of what the book was about. Then it would switch and I was confused again.
Dave Imre
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this when the Kindle edition was free and Im very glad I did. It wasnt exactly intellectually challenging, but it was really entertaining and a pleasure to read.
Ruby Ridge
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A good story, could have been great but fizzles at the end. Love the writing style - kinda early 1900s
Jenna
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Not your usual urban fantasy. Not bad, just disjointed at this stage.
Taylor Cooper
did nit ginidh.
Taylor
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first I was getting a little bored with this book, until I got about half way in. Then it turned into a tragic, well written fairy tale.
Steven
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great read. I loved the light and the darkness both.
The only thing i wished was different and many people will disagree is the decision made at the end of the book.
Eric
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fairly quick read with some slow parts. Started off slow, but then picked up. A good interesting story, with some familiar ideas. Still a lot of fun.
Nipuna
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Action packed but more like reading a comic book without pictures. The sentences are weird and chop and fragmented.
Trish Bodine
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A new way of looking at mythologies and how they survive when people forget to look and believe.
Liane
  • Life, Inc.
  • The Unraveling
  • Incredible Dreams
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Quinn, a Vampire Watcher's Story (Royal Blood Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Devil's Lair
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • Fated
  • The Real
  • Grandmaster's Legacy (Erotic Historical Suspense, Box Set)
  • Sunrise at Sunset (Sunset Vampire #1)
  • Song of the Fairy Queen
  • The Eve Tree
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • Seaborne (Seaborne #1)
  • An Embarrassment of Riches

Thanks for visiting my page! I'm Phil Tucker, a Brazilian/Brit who currently resides in Asheville, NC, where I resist the siren call of the forests and mountains to sit inside and hammer away on my laptop.I'm currently polishing off a LitRPG trilogy that will be dropping at the end of summer, and working on finishing my Godsblood Trilogy as well. Busy times, my friends. Here's a little bit m
More about Phil Tucker