Start by marking “Year of the Chick” as Want to Read:
Year of the Chick

Year of the Chick

(Year of the Chick #1)

An awkward family homecoming at Christmas.

A humiliating public weigh-in, with two judging parents as the audience.

The announcement of a deadline for arranged marriage doom.

And that's just the first two chapters.

In "Year of the Chick," Romi Narindra must find love before her parents find her a husband.

But this is North America, not Calcutta! Who lets their parents choose
Published October 26th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Year of the Chick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year of the Chick

Start your review of Year of the Chick
Sean Cummings
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WTF? What’s a Canadian fantasy author doing writing a review for a chick-lit novel? Actually, forget that I write about zombies and magic and stuff that goes bump in the night for one second … I’m a guy! Chick-lit is like … I don’t know, something that men are supposed to run away from while pulling their hair out in clumps. Well, good news – I’m bald so there’s not a lot of hair to pull out and your heart has to be a cold dead thing if you’re a guy and you didn’t like Notting Hill.
You see, I
Amber
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wattpad-reads
This was a pretty good read that I read on wattpad for free. When Romi's parents seek arranged marriages for both her and her sister, Romi searches for her love away from it. When she falls in love online with a writer, she wonders if he is the one. Can she meet him and continue their friendship as something more? Find out in Year of the Chick.

This was a pretty good read. I enjoyed this chick lit romance and hope it becomes a movie one day because I would def pay money to see the film. If you
Dilsh Wijesinghe
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Star Rating

Smiley Sun Graphic

Forward this Picture
Almost a fun-reading!!!! Loads of fun stuff to laugh though I hate when there was lots of talks about the ARRANGED MARRIAGE delirium. I think too much mentioning about the arranged marriage stuff is ruined a little bit of actual relish of the story.
All the characters were okay with me..... :( But I dislike some of the character traits of Romi. My feelings about the "Whole Romi Character" was bit complicated. I didn't hate Romi entirely though I didn't
Lisa McBrien
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
he story is relatable and fun weather you're a 20 something or beyond. I knew about the whole arranged marriage thing beforehand, and marveled at the lengths an INDIAN-CANADIAN girl has to go to just to have a social life. I'm looking forward to reading BOOK 2, basically Romi's parents lied about their intentions and have gotten an aunt involved in theie manipulative scheming! Plus, there is JAMES. Sorry to say I still don't trust him. He's hot and cold throught this book and a bit arrogant! I ...more
For me this book was "Meh".

Do you have that one friend, that overreacts to every little thing, that's so dramatic and spend hours dissecting tiny details, and can't pay attention to anything else except for themselves?

I find those kinds of friends best in small doses. A whole book inside the mind of this person, just wasn't my setting of choice.

Though I did enjoy that the setting explored the Indian culture, which definitely has it's own set of rules and traditions when it comes to love and
Katlynn Parsons
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-kindle
I wanted to love this book. When I first picked it up it I loved the synopsis. The first few chapters were exciting and I felt a connection with the main character, Romi. That is also when I started to cringe every time Romi opened her mouth to complain. A lot of what she complained about were things that were within her control. I did enjoy the twists and the writing was great, I was just completely thrown off by Romi's attitude.
Julia
Dec 27, 2012 added it
Wow - this character is unbalanced! It was an easy read that I liked well enough and I might read the second book to see what happens, but the main character really needs to get some therapy to deal with her wild emotional swings of rage against her friends... or, if she really hates her friends that much & that often, she needs to get new friends.
Jenn
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was light on the romance and heavy on the fat-shaming neurosis. The author is funny, which mostly made up for the fact that her name-sake character was a 28 year old woman with the emotional range of a 13 year old child.
Emily
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-downloads
This was a pretty good book. The author is really funny. My main problem is that the love interest in the story is a total tool! I just couldn't get past his toolishness to really enjoy the rest of the story.
Chandra
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I absolutely loved it...I am off to read the next book now and really hope there is more from this author. After all...books 1 and 2 have January and February on their covers...so we just need 10 more books to round out a calendar year!! ;)
Christmas Carol ꧁꧂
2.5 stars.
Had to put my sceptical me on hold & ignore gaping plot holes & the fact that our heroine in most cases makes very bad choices. But the author has an enjoyable writing style & I may try another of her books in the future.
Charleen Marx sowards
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Very cute story. I had to buy the second book to find out more of her craziness!!
Kim
Jul 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
Too silly to read very much of it.
Ella Craig
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
YEAR OF THE CHICK is a rom-com about a Canadian-Indian woman, Romi. She has a year to find a man before her parents set her up in an arranged marriage.

I was looking forward to reading this book, expecting a humorous insight into how you balance a traditional Indian upbringing with modern (Western) life. Instead, I discovered a lead character who moans about her life, family and job, constantly.

She calls other women, including her friends, sluts and dismisses most men who cross her path as
Toni Wyatt
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gave this 5 stars. Why? Because it is rare, frankly, that I find a work that makes me laugh and is such a fun read. Romi is a relatable character in that many of us feel a little uncomfortable in our own bodies and in our struggles to find the 'one'. The pressure she is put under by her parents to commit to an arranged marriage might be unfamiliar to many of us, but the pressure to find a mate and begin a nice stable 'respectable' life probably isn't. I enjoyed Romi Moondi's sense of humor and ...more
Samantha
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't finish this book, found it annoying

I actually would have given it only 1* but thought might be bit unfair at it might have got better if i read to the end, I didnt though as if i had to read one more tins about how fat she was and how she needed to lose weight, i was going to scream! It just got on my nerves, i couldn't carry on reading a story with the main characters moaning on and on about her weight .
Jamie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible
One of the most lame books I have read. I kept hoping it would get better. The surprise is not that Romi never meets her soulmate but that anyone at all is willing to befriend her. She has all the depth of a puddle.
Sonia Santos
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Humorous and engaging

This is a funny story that has me rooting for Romi and her quest in finding love before her parents get her in an arranged marriage. I'll have to check out the next book to find out what happens next.
Renata Buchanan
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it so much I read the whole series and didn't want it to end.
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Rather slow. While the story had some fun parts, the entire book seemed to be building to the last two chapters, which are an introduction for book 2. A disappointment.
Kathy
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a book I would normally read. It was easy reading, but not my style.
Kathleen
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
What does a twenty-seven year old Indian-Canadian girl do when her traditionalist Indian parents decide it's time to arrange marriages for her and her older sister? *groan* How does she stop their attempts so she can live a modern western lifestyle? Can she live and love the way she wants, or will her parents win out, and will she be doomed to the dreaded arranged marriage? These are the questions that Romi Narindra ponders in Year of the Chick!

Twenty-seven year old Romi Narindra is an
Ana
WOW...ROMI, YOU'RE AWESOME!

I know this might not be the best way to start a review, but I just couldn't help myself. Romi is awesome, trust me. Oh and by the way, there's Romi-the author and Romi-the main character in the book. So silly yet so sweet to name the main character after yourself, but both Romi and Romes are awesome!

It's really been a while since I devoured a book! Once I started reading this book I just couldn't put it down, but I had to (unfortunately) on few occasions, like when I
Jill Martin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-audio-books
With quite a few reviewer saying they didn't like Romi's sarcasm or deprecating sense of humor, I was a bit reluctant myself as to whether I'd like this book or not. But, I had already purchased it, so thought I'd give it a try. At first, I can see why reviewers were a bit tired of the sarcasm, and I generally like sarcasm, but it could have been toned down a bit. Romi is likeable and it's hard to believe a woman of 27 is so much under her parents thumb, even in an Indian culture. But, what do I ...more
Meredith Schorr
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Twenty-seven year old Romi lives a double life. When inside the home she shares with her entire immediate family during the weekend, she lives the traditional life of a Canadian/Indian. Alongside her mother and older sister, she does the chores while her father and brother watch Bollywood films/play video games. While she lives with her sister during the week (a sister who she cannot stand who clearly feels the same way), she works a regular corporate job in Toronto and makes the most
Leah
Feb 20, 2017 added it
I received this book free in return for an honest review.

I hated this book. The main character Romi is trying to be snarky, but she comes off nothing more than a big jerk. She is horrible to everyone arounds her, makes fun of everyone she comes across, and has no redeeming qualities. I couldn't stand the book at all and do not recommend it to anyone. Just skip this.
Kathryn Laceby
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

This is a funny, funny novel- once you get past and move through the awkward and slightly off-beat nature of the heroine. I think my initial hurdle was the way she and her family interacted with each other. Coming from a completely different upbringing (where I wasn’t expected to adhere to my parent’s expectations of my marriage partner) I found it hard to really feel the warmth I’m sure was there within the family fold. This unfortunately didn’t do much to
Samantha March
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have gotten to know Romi Moondi fairly well through email after she signed up with CLP Blog Tours, and might even call her a friend – internet friend, but a friend I enjoy chatting with nonetheless. I could tell from her emails that Year of the Chick was going to be a riot, and I was not wrong. Moondi lets her personality shine through the pages, and I could definitely picture her as the main character. Which, um, she sort of is. Read her blog – no seriously, read her blog, it’s super ...more
Chelsea Nicole
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've read worse books but I have definitely read better. Romi is a an annoying slightly overweight bachelorette on the hunt for a man to save herself from being set u online by her Indian old school parents. Most of the plot falls after the first few chapters.
Romi needs to lose weight more than she actually wants to thanks to her parents nagging and humiliation. She hardly mentions going to the gym after her first few attempts, yet she lost 16 pounds by mostly starving herself. She decides that
Michelle
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
"Year of the Chick" by Romi Moondi

Romi is an Indian women trying to break free from the traditional ideals her parents/family/and culture have placed upon her. Romi's parents believe Romi and her sister are at the age to be married. The parents start the process of arranging a suitable husband for Romi's older sister and Romi knows she's next. But Romi and her sister want nothing to do with the traditions of an arranged marriage...Romi wants to find her own husband, on her own terms...she
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #192 - Year of the Chick 1 3 Dec 03, 2014 10:17AM

• Love Handles (Oakland Hills, #1)
  • My Favorite Husband (Romantic Comedy Duo, #1)
  • Eye of the Beholder (The Donovans, #5)
  • The Boyfriend Sessions (City Love, #1)
  • Coffee, Tea or Me
  • Entangled (Fredrickson Winery, #1)
  • Close to Home (Westen, #1)
  • Her Pretend Billionaire Boyfriend (Clean Billionaire Romance #1)
  • Blind Love
  • Molly Miranda: Thief for Hire (Molly Miranda, #1)
  • Cinderella Screwed Me Over
  • The Rules of Love & Grammar
  • Pumpkin Spice Sacrifice (Murder in the Mix, #3)
  • Captains and the Kings
  • In the After (In the After, #1)
  • Eat Feel Fresh: A Contemporary, Plant-Based Ayurvedic Cookbook
  • His Wicked Games (His Wicked Games, #1; The Cunningham Family, #1)
  • Bitter and Sweet in Dog Town (Dog Town, #1)
I am Canadian, and here are some strange personal facts:

-I wore denim-top-to-bottom in high school (there is a direct inverse relationship between how much denim I wore and how few tongues were launched down my throat at school dances...or anywhere in high school at all).

-A homeless lady in New York once told me "You're just a bitch on vacation with no money!"

-I always hated those insufferable

Year of the Chick (3 books)
  • Year of the Chick: Beginnings (a short story)
  • Last-Minute Love
“With hands full I carefully made my way outside,” 0 likes
“I wish I could meet her and say ‘Hey Cind, I found your glass slipper! Now please bend over while I shove it up your ass!” 0 likes