Start by marking “How the Zebra Got Its Stripes” as Want to Read:
How the Zebra Got Its Stripes

How the Zebra Got Its Stripes

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
As a group of African animals hang out at the local watering hole, they share funny stories about how the zebra got its stripes. At the end of the book, fun facts explain why zebras really have stripes. For any child intrigued by zebras, this colorful, informative book is a must!
Published June 11th 2002 by Golden Books

To ask other readers questions about How the Zebra Got Its Stripes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Zebra Got Its Stripes

Maxwell Rae
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow wee!! “Cantankerous” and “ornery” those are some hard words for a little bubba! I loved the story and the voices mummy did were great!
Emma
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this is a great book to read to children, but as a teacher I do not think I would read it to a class of mine. I think the book teaches some great lessons about rumors, and "word of mouth", because the plot line is trying to figure out how zebras got their stripes. There are a few reasons that can be related back to religion and I think that is a sticky subject when you are a teacher. The book does not push any certain religious views, but it would be something you may have to explain to ...more
Rebecca
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Blueberry and I had a great time reading this book together. The story was entertaining and the illustrations were cute and funny.

The book contains African animals talking about how the zebra got its stripes (so the title is pretty spot on). After all the animals theories and the story concludes, there is some interesting zebra facts.
Kaila
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Nice read about African American zebras who share the funny ways they earned their stripes. I used read aloud multiple times in my classroom during lessons. Some of the many ways were to teach the "th" digraph, identifying syllable patterns, finding past tense verbs, and identifying characters, plots, and settings.Or you can simply add it to your library for the kid's enjoyment.
Brenda Pritchard
FOLK TALES:
This book is a different take on a folk tale. It tells how the zebra got its stripes. The book is recommended for young children ages 4-6. It is a good introduction to folk lore for young children.
Tasneem  Zafer
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
A silly story about how the zebra got the black stripes and how the cheeky baboon got the bare, red patch on the bottom. It doesn't make sense though but it's kind of funny.
no pain no gain! That's the message I got.
Kinda cute illustrations.
Huda
May 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: en-pic-books
قد يتسائل أغلب الأطفال عن كيفية حصول الحمار الوحشي على خطوط جسمه. يقول الكاتب أن السبب انتهاء الصبغة البيضاء والسوداء من عند الرجل الحكيم.. إجابة غير مقنعة، أعتقد أن الأطفال قد يجدونه سخيفاً، لا أدري
Taylor
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
funny
Emerson and Theodore
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great fable-like African story. After hearing 4-5 implausible stories about how the zebra got his stripes, we settle on an evolutionary explanation. The only rational one. Excellent.
Abbi Kraus
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a good book because it has creative aspects as well as facts! It's colorful and fun for kids.
Kendra Schaefer
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational, zebra
This book is cute and funny. Children will enjoy the histarical ways the Zebras think they got their stripes, and in the end will learn the real reasons.
Anne Lutomia
Jul 12, 2014
Savannah
Oct 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Ron Fontes was born in Los Angeles, California. He grew up in Clarksville, Tennessee. Ron has been an actor, art director, bellhop, cartoonist, housepainter, makeup artist, scene painter, standup comic, and was once an artist for Marvel Comics.
More about Ron Fontes...