Start by marking “Imaginary Friends” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Imaginary Friends

Terry Brooks

Imaginary Friends (Word & Void 0.5)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  878 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
In 1997, New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks reinvented the fantasy genre again, publishing the contemporary fantasy masterpiece RUNNING WITH THE DEMON, the first book in a trilogy of novels that would become known as the Word/Void series.

But in 1991, six years before RUNNING WITH THE DEMON, Terry Brooks began testing the mythos found in Word/Void and wrote a ta
Nook
Published November 2011 by Speakman Press (first published October 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Imaginary Friends, please sign up.

Msjodi777
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2016, july-2016
Found this one when I was looking at kindle books in the Shannara series, and thought I'd get it. Amazing how you sometimes stumble on true gems sometimes, isn't it? What can I say? - this is a tale of magic, and of courage, and of facing the things that scare us. As a cancer survivor, I can tell you, this story is exactly what each of us needs. Don't know if Terry Brooks reads goodreads reviews, but if he does, all I want to say is "Thank you, I needed that." Now I'm off to look for my own spec ...more
Tim Lewis
Read the review on my blog: Tim's Book Reviews

Premise: Jack McCall is a thirteen year old boy with good friends and a loving family that one day starts having headaches. What he learns from the doctor is devastating: he has cancer. His best friend Waddy Wadsworth is not as concerned as he is, since you hear stories of people getting over this type of thing all the time.

Jack lives on the edge of Sinnissippi Park, where his imaginary friends Pick and his owl Daniel return to him from earlier in hi
Robin Burrows
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2011
This story was originally released years ago as part of a collection of modern fairy tales. That book has been out of print for a long time and Terry has rereleased the story as an ebook for a limited time. All sales of this ebook go to help pay for Terry's "Web Druid" Shawn Speakman's hospital bills for his cancer treatments.

I originally purchased this ebook to help out Terry & Shawn, but the story won me over all on its own. The story takes place in the Word & Void setting. It's about
Rebecca
A nice prequel to Brook's Running with the Demon series where a young boy meets Pick, the elf who guards the forest.
Andy Angel
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short story and all monies raised are for a good cause
Lissa
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a short story it was very enjoyable. Terry has delivered yet again!!
Geoff
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommendation: Coming in at only 27 pages, there’s not a lot to expound upon for this review. The story is a light read and a bit too fast for my tastes, but overall I’m glad I read it and I can’t wait to dive back into Shannara in the future

My Response to Imaginary Friends: I feel like reading this after having read the entire Word & Void trilogy is what people who read Go Set A Watchmen after having loved and read To Kill A Mockingbird . (On a smaller scale, obviously.)

Brooks wrote this
Cynthia McGrath
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pick is back

I chose this book because the cover intrigued me. Than I read. The story plot. I sounded like something I would like. Than I discovered that Pick was in the story. Pick is one of my favorite characters and I had missed him. When I discovered Jack had Cancer I was hooked. I lost someone I loved dearly. And when I read about Mr Brooks friend I had to get it. Jack was having severe headache s but was afraid to tell his parents. I can relate to this because I had a lump in my breast and
Brianna
This is a very short story that is the earliest piece that ties in all the Shannara stories. This is a little story preceding the Word & Void series.

It was interesting. It has been awhile since I read the Word & Void books, so I'm looking forward to rereading them and seeing how this stories ties in.

I really enjoyed the play between magic being real and not real at the same time. Is it real because he remembers it as being real with sensation and detail or is it just because he halluci
Tasha Turner
Quick short read. I think this is my 1st Terry Brooks story. I enjoyed it. Liked how the boy fights magical creatures as a way to deal with the cancer. I felt as if I was with him. The profits also go to help pay medical bills of a cancer survivor which made the story have added meaning.
Keith  Blodgett
Woah, short story doesn't even begin to describe this. If you blink, you'll miss it. There's no real character development and the plot makes itself up as the story goes. Other than being in the same local as the Word & Void series there, as far as I can I cam remember, it has been a while since I last read the series. Taking a quick look around Google it seems the charactt Pick also appears in at least one, perhaps others of the series this story precedes, by how long? We don't know but the ...more
Rick
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IMHO Terry Brooks can do no wrong with his Shannara prequels and sequels. Brooks' books build a dynamic tension that increases from book to book even as each individual book holds its own as episodes in a greater epic. Good vs. evil, ethics, magic, elves, trolls...everything that makes for a great fantasy can be found in his books.
Wendy Beckman
Story with a purpose

Imaginary Friends is short, of course, so there's not a lot of space for plot or character development. This story was written to deliver a message. It succeeded in that.
Scotty
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun fast read

It's a good story if your looking for a short story to read in 30 minutes or less.
A bit of insight to his fantasy.
jeff williams
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
greatest book on the planet

I liked everything about it and disliked nothing. Terry Brooks is clearly very talented in writing this book. Thank you, Terry!
SAMANTHA
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book

I found this short story after reading the word and the void trilogy and loved it as much as them very good read 😀
Sara
This is a short story about a young boy who learns that he has leukemia. Scared that he is going to die, Jack sneaks out to the woods at night to find a magical creature he met once years ago. Pick is the guardian of the Sinnissippi Woods and he is the only one that Jack feels can help him.

This story is one that has been long out of print, but when the webmaster for Terry Brooks' website discovered he had cancer, Terry Brooks re-released it and donated all proceeds to the medical care of his lo
Steve
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
For any Terry Brooks fans, this is a reprint of a short story from 20 years ago that is a prequel to Running With the Demon. The author has re-released this story in ebook format for $2.99 for 90 days as a fundraiser for his website guru, Shawn Speakman.

Speakman had a re-occurrence of cancer, but with the help of his doctor and chemotherapy, he's expected to make a full recovery. Unfortunately, he does not have insurance, and has a huge medical bill. The sales from this story will go toward his
Mark Adkins
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather short story from Terry Brooks that takes place before the events that take place in the Word & Void series.

This is a heartwarming story that does not require you to have read any of the Word & Void series or any of Terry Brooks novels to understand what is going on and it does not really setup anything in any other book. What it is is just a story with a happy message.

If you like Terry Brooks' style of writing you will like this book and if you have never read any of his books
Jim C
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story about a 13 year old boy who is diagnosed with cancer. He ends up with Pick who is an elf the works to save a park from evil. The main character is thrust into action against a loose dragon.

This story is meant as an inspiration as the dragon represents the cancer. On this account, the author succeeded with trying to get his point across and was a nice story. I believe the reason why I gave this a low rating is that I was expecting something else. I was expecting the author t
Andrew D Flynn
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
A nice story set in what was to become "The Word and Void" world. We get a sense of the ideas that eventually become "Running With The Demon". A nice feel good ending and I'm glad Brooks ended up changing several of the details for RWTD (much prefer Nest as a primary character and Pick is much better as a sylvan than an elf). In any case, a good read if you want to see where Brooks was starting to put his ideas together for RWTD.
Jim Smith
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have read any of Brook's Shannara books, all you really need to know is that this is the earliest "Shannara story." The magical world of Shannara arose after mankind destroyed itself in World War III, but the magic existed before the war, it was just hidden, and almost all the people who can experience it are children. Maybe those unbelievable stories your children tell you are actually happening after all...
Eric Staeger
Made me slightly nostalgic for my childhood. Reminded me of when i first picked up the Shannara series. That being said this book is rated as such by me because i compared it to his earlier works. There are typos, which is ok because it was never meant for print but they are so simple it seems ridiculous. Anyways good read for how short it was
Quincidence
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Quincidence by: Librarything
Step into a tradition of storytellers, culture, healing, magic, happiness and tragedy.
Truly a book that was worth each minute. I loved how the book not only served my amusement but also a fund-raising for a fellow of Terry Brooks. Wonderful! Wonderful!
Take an opportunity to travel into a simple but complex fairy tale. Cycle of life, beauty, parenting, fear, loss, and wonderful book
Caleb Powers
Not quite what I expected to begin with, but I really enjoyed "Imaginary Friends". Quite an interesting read. A sad but charming tale of a young boy fighting cancer with the help of his Elf friend, Pick.
Linda
An interesting idea. Imagine meeting an elf who can help you beat the demon of cancer when you are just a teenager and too young to die. But, no one believes but you. Everyone with a serious disease needs an elf in their life.
John and Janet Carey
Awesome prelude to an epic world

It brought magic mind & body together at a youthful age... It is written in such a way that you never truly know how strong of an imagination or how hard this kid is in touch with reality.
Bonnie Boyd
The very beginnings of Running With Demons, this short story 'revisits' Pick & Daniel. We get our 'first' look at Pick & see he's always been kind of grumpy. A nice addition to a Brooks collection. Not anything you can't live without, but nice.
Michael Lemire II
A quick return to to the park.

I love this series, so a short story back was wonderful. Not connected, but personally relevant for me at this point in my life. A good tale if you have a short window to fill.
Mark MacNeill
This is the short story that "The Word and The Void" series was based upon. It is an interesting read if only to see how Mr. Brooks was able to expand upon this simple short story and create the world within the Word and Void series.
  • The Crimson Sword (The Legend of Asahiel, #1)
  • Legends II
  • The Desert and the Blade (Emberverse, #12)
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Tuning the Symphony
  • Fair Peril
  • The Bear (Corona: Saga of the First King, #4)
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • The Shadowbearer (Aegis of The Gods, #1.5)
  • Good at Being Bad (Boys of Beachville, #1)
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • The Fire Duke (Keepers of the Hidden Ways, #1)
  • The Variant Effect
  • The Labyrinth
  • L'ultima battaglia (La ragazza drago, #5)
  • Hannah's Garden
  • Charmed: A Sugar Maple short story (Sugar Maple, #3.5)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

Word & Void (3 books)
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void, #1)
  • A Knight of the Word (Word & Void, #2)
  • Angel Fire East (Word & Void, #3)
“but when you’re dying you don’t have much time for common sense.” 2 likes
“Reynolds Lucius Wadsworth III was Waddy’s real name, the result of a three-generation tradition of unparalleled cruelty in the naming of first-born boys.” 0 likes