Start by marking “Brain of the Firm” as Want to Read:
Brain of the Firm

Brain of the Firm

"Stafford Beer is undoubtedly among the world's most provocative, creative, and profound thinkers on the subject of management, and he records his thinking with a flair that is unmatched. His writing is as much art as it is science. He is the most viable system I know." Dr Russell L Ackoff, The Institute for Interactive Management, Pennsylvania, USA. "If . anyone can make ...more
Published June 8th 1995 by Wiley (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Brain of the Firm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain of the Firm

Start your review of Brain of the Firm
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A really brilliant introduction to the intricacies of corporate hell and how it happens to be.

No one wakes up and makes a decision: 'today I'm gonna make life for my employees even more hell than usual. Do they? Yet all kinds of fucked up communications, misaligned targets, triple bindings, weird goals, unability to reach consensus, corporate culture entanglements etc, etc, etc happen. More often than anyone would want to admit.

I really love how this book is STILL very much on spot of how
Jeremy
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not an easy book. The reader is encountering an extraordinarily brilliant mind, expositing a complex idea without dumbing it down at all. But the idea is astonishing, and the time spent exploring it is repaid in spades.

Stafford Beer was interested in viable systems; systems that are able to continue to exist over time. He studied biology, ecosystems, electronics, information theory, computers, corporate governance, and governments, and sought to create a pattern language for describing
Jarred Finney
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found this book through a documentary on Brian Eno. I was studying cybernetics at the time and was interested not only in the central processing of a firm but also in how this framework ties to music composition and information theory.
Lehor Meius
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel guilty. When I was a teenager, I thought that all giant, creative, original minds existed in the past and I was doomed to an age of recurrence. However, Stafford Beer was still alive back then and just hadn't heard about him.

While I, as Beer himself, have moved on from the concepts described in this book, this is definitely one of the life-changing books for me.
Dima Shevchuk
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Книга может показаться тяжелой и унылой, но стоит проявить усердие и упорство - и прочесть ее.
На примере работы живого организма автор показывает модель связей и управляющих алгоритмов, характерных для крупных организаций и государства. Эта книга помогает более предметно разобраться с теорией управления сложных систем
Alfa Mas
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ed van der Winden
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This man is a genius. I've recently stumbled on cybernetics and especially on the work of Stafford Beer. Very, very important and a damn shame that all these insights are so rarely used.
Claus-peter Seichter
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
wonderful... great organizational model with convincing relationship to human brains...
Blue Somogyi
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unique in its approach, but worth wading through the language to get at the concepts.
TheKMhub
Elanca
Nov 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• An Introduction to Information Theory: Symbols, Signals and Noise
  • The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)
  • The Money Formula: Dodgy Finance, Pseudo Science, and How Mathematicians Took Over the Markets
  • Murach's C++ Programming