Start by marking “The Aftermath, Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Aftermath, Book 1

The Aftermath, Book 1

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Themes: Hi-Lo, Dystopia, disaster, survival, relationships. Cecilia has always been secure in her world. A high school cheerleader, she is pretty and popular. And she dates Ryan, one of the cutest boys in her school. She leads a charmed and pampered life. Clearly everyone forgot the warnings buried deep in the quatrains of Nostradamus-- the end of days. When the world they ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Saddleback Educational Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Aftermath, Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aftermath, Book 1

The end of 2012 indeed brought the end of the world as we know it in “The Aftermath” by Sara Michelle. Few survivors are left following the terrible disaster; roads are torn up, houses decrepit, food and water are in short supply, and those left are struggling to survive.

Cecilia lost all her family and friends except her boyfriend Ryan, and it is lucky they have each other: their chances of survival alone are slim. It has now been a week since the en
Mar 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Seriously?! Only 75 pages practically DOUBLE SPACED?! As if the length wasn't bad enough what she attempted to use as a "plot" to fill said 75 pages is just mind blowing...and not in a good way. I'm pretty sure the back of this book said she's some tween still in High School and whatnot but come on! And to have the nerve to charge $7.95 for this pocketbook sized novel of trash is just atrocious. Finish school then give being a writer a go...maybe not even then.
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: struggling readers
The book was O.K. It is more like a novella than a full blown novel. I have to give credit where credit is due to being published as a high school student. If only all students were this motivated.
Sara Pritzl
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Quick Read. I thought the story was good due to the author being in high school.
Apr 28, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2014
I'm hesitant to be too harsh of such a young writer, but while this would deserve a high grade in a high school creative writing class, it should not have been published.
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is only 78 page. And any vocabulary is not difficult. My reading speed is so so slowly and I don't know any difficult English vocabulary. So, this book is good for me.
Margaux Collier
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sara Michelle is the author of The Aftermath Book 1. The book first starts on Day 3 after “The End," this is how Cecilia and Ryan called it. “The End” was caused by the biggest earthquake they had ever experienced, it had killed most of the population, and Cecilia was lucky to have her boyfriend, Ryan by her side to go through this. They both had to live many days without eating, and when they were obliged to drink they would melt dirty snow. One day, Ryan remembers about that shelter in the mou ...more
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Synopsis: After THE END a major earthquake happens, everyone but Ryan and Cecelia fall into Hell Ryan and Cecelia navigate a strangely deserted world where no one thought to go into the emergency shelters but they. Ryan has barely a basic sense of direction, and Cecelia is actually a whiny piece of luggage.

I don't like it when people praise a book simply because a teen or a kid wrote it. If it is good, then it is worth praise, but honestly... I guess this isn't any better or worse than most of t
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2012
This is written by a high school student so I give her great applause for getting published. It does, however, read somewhat as if it is written by a high school student. Other teenagers will likely love this story and zoom through it. For me, there are too many sentences beginning with "I" and much of the actual story seems to be in the description of the story.
It appears that Cecelia is a pampered, sheltered cheerleader only because we are told that she is, there's nothing in the story to lea
Eddie Smith
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like Disaster Themed Books
Recommended to Eddie by: Ms.Freeman My English Teacher
First to start of this review Ms. Sara Michelle is a very talented author she has a unique style of conveying the characters to you it makes you feel as if you are in this book watching the characters through the plot since this book is also very realistic so this could also be used to help in real disaster situation but it gives very graphic images in your head about the bodies the blood of the victims of the earthquakes.
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
You can tell this book was written by a high-school-er by the wording and format. Over all the book is about 75-80 pages long and pretty much double-spaced. The book has an interesting story line to it that made this one hard to put down. I would recommend this to light readers. You can pretty much finish this an about an hour but, as I said the story plot, for some reason, makes it hard to put down! :)
Shannon Freeman
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I have always been an avid reader and now I am an author and English teacher. If one of my students produced writing on this level, I would be ecstatic. I read it from beginning to end and can't wait to go on to the next book. Excellent work! This book is perfect for readers in my classroom that need shorter books or are reluctant to read. You cater to that group of students. Thanks Ms. Sara! Job well done :)
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This book -- written by a high school student -- is a compelling read for my struggling female readers. I picked it up today and read it as I promised a student I would read it with her. While the book seemed more a few chapters of a book, the storyline and vocabulary will provide struggling readers a quality read that will allow them to be a successful reader.
Michelle Marin
While I understand this is intended to be a hi/lo novel, I don't feel like it completely succeeds. Other than following the post-apocalyptic trend, this novel doesn't have high interest. I felt like was too shallow of a starter. This was not to my tastes.
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like the idea of a science-fiction series broken up into shorter books. However, I felt this book was really too brief. There were things left unsaid that needed to be written out. Other parts were unrealistic or not believable.
Jul 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have to be honest, I only got about 20 pages in when I had to put it down. I couldn't take it anymore, the writing was poorly written, and to be brutally honest it reminded me of some of the stories I wrote in middle school. Cringe worthy. But that's my own personal opinion.
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is written by a high schooler. I think the story has potential (this is the 1st in a trilogy), but you can definitely tell it is written by a teenager. It is a very quick read and I will likely finish the trilogy just to see what happens.
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is AMAZING book I read the whole series at school and it is amazing :)
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Normally I don't bother making character judgements on fictional characters, but this author's characters are so comfortable with their selfishness that I can't help but despise them.
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting story, just a waste of paper with its size 18-20 font and only 75 pages... I think she should have put her three books together and maybe put a size 12 font on it... just me I guess.
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Took longer than necessary to read, but it was a Good step to a series.
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
You can tell it's written by a teen who is still learning to write, but it really caught my interest and I have to read the others to find out what happened.
This book was a good fast read. I thought it was brilliant for a high school writer.
Mel Ann
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Im not much for YA books but this one caught my eye at the bookstore. Im far from YA but I will be looking for the 2nd book to this series.
Dec 23, 2015