Start by marking “The Case of the Blonde Bonanza (Perry Mason Mystery)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Blonde Bonanza (Perry Mason Mystery)

The Case of the Blonde Bonanza

(Perry Mason #67)

It's Dianne Alder's ravishing looks that catch Perry Mason's eye, but it's her ravenous appetite that piques his professional interest. It seems the beautiful blonde has entered into a curious contract - one that requires her to gain a little weight, and lose a lot of money.

Harrison T. Boring claims he's grooming Dianne to be a new high-fashion mannequin - and Mason thinks
Published June 1994 by Ballantine Books (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Blonde Bonanza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Blonde Bonanza

Start your review of The Case of the Blonde Bonanza (Perry Mason Mystery)
Evgeny
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Della Street was visiting her aunt and invited her boss for the weekend hoping the guy would finally get a long-due break. To bait a hook she promised Perry Mason a mystery; the mystery he got. There was a curvaceous blond on the beach where Della was spending her leisure time.
Curvaceous blond
The blond would get a suntan and go to the nearest restaurant to get lunch. The amount of food she would consume boggled the mind. After her substantial snack she would weight herself on a nearby scales and go back to sun
R.
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Promised myself at the beginning of the summer that in my reading I would recreate the weekday late night lineup of the MeTV network. Chief among my targets was Perry Mason. This was a quick, fun read, mainly because it was driven by dialogue, and it didn't take much imagination to hear the voices, see the faces, of Raymond Burr, Barbara Hale, and William Hopper during the adventure. I know I've seen the episode this novel was turned into, but that was a while ago (and I'm usually drifting off p ...more
Ann Johnson
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
My mother-in-law is downsizing and getting rid of dozens of books, including a whole stack of Perry Mason books. It was a quick, fun read.
Tony Boskovich
As Perry Mason novels go, this is not the best by a long shot. A very long introductory premise, and then a solution in just a few pages. Given the timing of this novel and the fantastic success of the TV show, I think Mr. Gardner whipped this out under time pressure. In any event, for a reader who is delving into Perry Mason for the first time, this is not the book to start with.
Evan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again the usual Perry Mason formula with a little twist on the end..not theusual suspect.
Female in peril, accused of murder, the murderer is usually either the witness giving the ' nail in the coffin' evidence against Perry Mason's client..or has very close ties to the murderer. Perry Mason solves it on the fly and in cross examination brings out the bombshell that proves the witness is lying and gets a confession.

The misogyny present with the era does start to weigh on you if you start readin
Robert A Keene
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1962 Perry Mason was a pretty good read, the ending has a good twist. I did enjoy where the Blonde Bonanza, Dianne Alder, had to put on weight as part of her contract eating steak, potatoes, creme and finishing the meal with Apple pie a-la-mode and 2 candy bars. And Della goes on a two week vacation, amazing.
Charline A Wells
Perfect as always

You gotta love Perry Mason. He has always been the best! Wish I could hire a real one just like him. He always knows the right thing to do and he always wins. He’s my hero.
Sandy III
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice, quick read. I don't always love courtroom stories, but this throwback (1960s) one had its entertaining moments. I liked it early, felt like it dragged a bit in the middle, and then the courtroom portion was rapid fire.
Ilse
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patc-box
I didn't like how the story started. half way through I started to get into it. but that didn't make up for it.
Richa
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and gripping case. Although, initially I thought this is a rare case where no one dies, midway through the book, I saw the error of my surmise.
Carol
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. (Remember two stars means ‘it was okay’) The book’s Perry Mason is a bit different than the TV show version. Couldn’t imagine Raymond Burr on a beach wearing swim trunks.
Tonya Fowlkes
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving these Perry Mason novels! Finished this one in one day!
Aparna
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: 4 / 5
Recommendation: For everyone who have fetish for courtroom drama, this is the lawyer's case files that one would definitely have to read.

Perry Mason in The Case of The Blonde Bonanza is the 67th installment in the Perry Mason series by Erle Stanley Gardner first published I 1962.. The name surmises what the plot would be about - indeed its about a blonde and a bonanza.

Vacationing at Bolero Beach with her Aunt Mae, Della Street gets obsessed watching a young model-shaped woman eating
Sreedhar Pothukuchi
Another of below-average anti-climactic Perry Masons. Just a few hours of court-room action, in the last few pages. Easy to read and forget though.
Ed
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#67 in the Perry Mason series. This 1962 series entry starts with secretary Della Street being on a two week seaside vacation; this is the first vacation I can recall Della having since Perry took her on a cruise in The Case of the Substitute Face (1938). This turns out to be a fun tale of the missing heir scam. Recommended.

Perry Mason series - FLASH... Mason gives Della Street two weeks’ vacation! That is, it was supposed to be a vacation, but Della turned it into a busman’s holiday. Target of
Sadaf
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very fun book, and a very novel take at crime fiction. If you are looking for the lighter kind of crime fiction, with less brutality and more quirks, this is for you.
Perry Mason is a criminal lawyer, with Della Street, his secretary, forming the detective and the side-kick. They encounter a hot blonde, who has been asked to put on weight to start a new trend. This sounds so absurd, that Mason does not believe it. With time, the real mystery behind it unfurls, which is actually as unre
Rebecca Mulligan
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Model and a Murder

Perry, Paul and Della are at it again in this wonderful mystery. This time, Perry and Della run into a beautiful young woman who is attempting to gain 10 pounds for a modeling contract. The terms of the contract are suspicious and. Perry is on the move. Of course, the writer of the contract, who attempted blackmail, is murdered and. Perry's client blamed. Before the plot comes together, murder, blackmail, bigamy and assorted other crimes will come into play. Of course, all co
Evelyn
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although lighter in plot and characterizations than the mysteries that were written earlier in the Perry Mason series, and consisting of a mystery that is more formula than novel, this story is nevertheless quite amusing. The author's use of wordplay in naming its characters, and his hommage to classic mysteries in the names of some key characters and its plot make it fun to read this book.
DavidO
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-or-5-stars
This one started with an interesting puzzle. That is, a woman happily gaining tons of weight which puzzles Mason to no end. Of course it turns somehow into a murder, and I have to admit I didn't guess who the guilty party was at all. He/she wasn't on my short list or even my long list.
James Vest
Slow to develop, the tempo from mystery to crime to case seemed stacked so heavy in the initial phase that the court case feels so fast, climaxing in a decision that makes the earlier parts of the book not just a red herring, it makes them feel like a waste of time.
Deb
Nov 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I used to love Perry Mason mysteries. Fast reading, relatively clean. The bad guy always gets caught. I'm just listing the ones I recognize, I may have read others.
Ciiku
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the humor, twists and turns!
Charanjeet Arora
The build-up is good but the ending comes just too suddenly.
At best a good time-pass. Not the best of Perry Mason
Karan Shah
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erle Stanley Gardner is my favorite mystery murder writer.
His books are very fast paced and witty. This book is one of his best
Rijo John
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok
Paul
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Aristotll
though it is humorous , the ending is too abrupt , this is to say , the ending is inappropriate compared to other masterpieces.
Mazeli Dee
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I did NOT see that coming. Perry Mason. Clap clap.
Les Anderson
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not see the solution here. The latest entries in the Perry Mason series have shown Mason figuring clues out during cross-examination and this is no different.
Joshua Blair
Erle was not the greatest mystery writer in the world, but the case is fairly interesting and there are some juicy bits here and there. A quick read and good for slumming.

• Top of The Heap (Cool and Lam #13)
  • Give 'Em The Ax
  • The Freedom Artist
  • The Black Swan of Paris
  • The Bitter and Sweet of Cherry Season
  • The Lady and the Mountain Man  (Mountain Dreams, #1)
  • 3zekiel
  • The Florios of Sicily
  • White Bird
  • Secret Daughter of the Tsar
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax, #14)
  • Wyoming Mountain Tales: Books 1 - 4: Wyoming Mountain Tales Box Set
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • Love and Mr. Lewisham
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Believe This... You'll Believe Anything

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye