Start by marking “Going Interstellar” as Want to Read:
Going Interstellar

Going Interstellar

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A collection of tales by an all-star assortment of award winning authors including Ben Bova, Mike Resnick, Jack McDevitt, Michael Bishop, Sarah Hoyt and more together with essays on high technology by space scientists and engineers – all taking on new methods of star travel.

Some humans may be content staying in one place, but many of us are curious about what’s beyond the
Published May 29th 2012 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Going Interstellar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Interstellar

David
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Interstellar astronauts, physicists, anyone who watched the Apollo missions
I still swear I remember watching one of the moon landings on TV. I was barely five years old when Apollo 17 sent the last men to the moon, so maybe I am mistaken, but I am sure this is one of my earliest memories.

Going Interstellar is a collection of short stories and essays by notable science fiction authors and physicists with the obvious theme of going interstellar. This book appears to be a labor of love, published by Baen, that stalwart of hardcore hard SF nerds. These people (the editors
Ron
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Better than average anthology of science fiction and fantasy. (Don't let the name fool you.)

One gen made the whole lot worthwhile.
Trike
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are some really great stories here about life aboard interstellar starships. The hook for this collection is that they're all scientifically possible. Which isn't as heavy as you might think, since the focus really isn't on the science. Plus the last two stories really don't have much to do with it.

The last story is by Mike Resnick and it doesn't belong here. It's a fanciful tale about a race through the solar system and the "real story" about how one ship disappeared. It really should hav
Ed Wyrd
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Premise revolves around short stories featuring plausible interstellar travel, written by Ben Bova, Mike Resnick, Jack McDevitt, among others. It also includes several interesting and readable essays about the facts and possibility of interstellar travel, how it can be achieved and what Mankind has already done. Highly recommended.
D.W. Patterson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fact based chapters were not as detailed as I would have locked but were good overviews of different technologies.

Enjoyed all the fiction except for Michel Bishop's story which I just skimmed.

Sarah Hoyt's story of a generational ship has an interesting twist in that important information for the success of the mission is encoded into nursery rhymes. The idea that nursery rhymes do not and should not change over many generations is a real insight and provides an interesting plot device.
Dan Thompson
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I’ve read other novels by McDevitt and enjoyed them quite a bit, so when this anthology came out, I was quick to buy it. Overall, it was pretty good, but its mixed nature made it inconsistent.

I enjoyed all the essays. They were full of facts, history, and a reasonable amount of hard science. They even had a few diagrams, so I’m glad I bought it in dead-tree edition rather than e-book. Mostly the essays dealt with various proposals for real interstellar spacecraft that would plod along at slower
Alan
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Take a scientist and a science fiction writer and give them the following assignment: create a short story and essay collection about interstellar travel using existing technology. No warp drives, no FTL at all. The essays will be by those working in the field of interstellar travel today.

The result is a very nice mix of fact and fiction. The essays are very much in laymen terms, so need for an average reader to break out their university texts to understand those. The stories are a split betwee
Craig
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a better-than-average anthology of science articles and science fiction stories, just the kind of book that Jim Baen used to like to publish thirty-or-so years ago. I found all of the non-fiction pieces to be enjoyable, if a bit less enthusiastic than I expected. There are good stories from Ben Bova, Jack McDevitt, Mike Resnick, Michael Bishop (though it was little too long), and Sarah Hoyt. The best piece in the book was a thought-provoking story by Louise Marley, "Design Flaw." It didn ...more
Paul Bennett
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a solid collection of short stories and nonfiction essays about realistic (or at least scientifically plausible) journeys beyond our Solar System. If you've been reading science fiction very long, or if you're well-versed in real-world space technologies, the essays will offer little new information or insight, but to someone who is just starting to study spaceflight, this is a MUST-READ collection!

If you are a budding science-fiction author, the essays in this book will give you some us
David Palazzolo
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely. There was a lot on the science fact articles I already had heard before, but much more I hadn't. The stories were all worth reading--Twenty Lights to "the Land of Snow" being the best, but a couple of the stories needed a little more work. The Big Ship and the Wise Old Owl is the one that stands out in this respect--I found the environment and use of nursery rhymes really fascinating but solutions came too easily to the protagonists. There was little to no suspense ...more
Tommy Carlson
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This in an intriguing combination of fiction and non, all dealing with interstellar travel. The fiction is pretty sweet, going beyond the usual. (Buddhists in space? Really?) The non-fiction is good, but focused solely on drive alternatives. I would have liked to see some other aspects covered.

One bonus is that most of the non-fiction pieces reference other books that would be of interest.
Kathy Gill
This is a collection of short fiction and non-fiction essays by science fiction authors and physicists exploring what it means to "go interstellar."

Hard science fiction meets science. No FTL (faster than light) stories here. Stories range from "ok" to "good". What's unique is the eclectic mix of fiction and fact.

If Amazon would let me, I'd give this 3.5 stars.

Clayton Yuen
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Well, a collection of scifi stories with a common theme provides several writers in one book. Good and bad ...... but generally okay since it WAS all about Going Interstellar?!?

Three stars for the average short story . . . .
Cary Grant
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some Pretty Good Stories

There are some pretty good stories in here. Recommended for reading. This reminds me of the old Asimov books combining stories and educational chapters. These chapters are definitely worth reading!
Pétur
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely splendid works of art.
Gabrielle
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Reading the entire book was worth it just for Michael Bishop's "Twenty Lights to 'The Land of Snow'". A really exquisite short story that I wish had been it's own novel.
Liam
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A neat collection of short stories and essays about generation ships and near-future space travel. Nice read.
Barry Brook
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good mix of hard sci-fi (various short stories, all involving subluminal travel) and interesting factual-based essays on the mid-term possibilities for interstellar flight.
Darrell Grizzle
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great anthology of science fiction stories and science-fact articles about interstellar travel. The stories by Michael Bishop and Ben Bova are standouts in an excellent collection.
Byron
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome anthology and came at a perfect time to help shape New Eden.
Pras
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • Clockwork Phoenix 5
  • Interstellar Patrol
  • World-Building
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • Redtooth
  • The Big Black Mark (John Grimes, #7)
  • Lights in the Deep
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • A Stark and Wormy Knight
  • El corazón delator y otros cuentos
  • Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: modern physics for non-scientists
  • Amazons!
  • A King of Infinite Space (Near Space, #5)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2010
  • The Children Star
Les is the author or co-author of both popular science and science fiction. His latest science fiction novel, "Mission to Methone," will be released by Baen Books on February 6, 2018. Coincidentally, his latest non-fiction book, "Graphene: The Superstrong, Superthin, and Superversatile Material That Will Revolutionize the World," with co-author Joe Meany, will be published the same day (from a dif ...more
More about Les Johnson...
“You know, until I caught a reference in an ancient manuscript, I thought cows were about the size of a chicken.” Chickens and fish being the only animal life aboard, I’d thought so too until this moment. “You mean they’re not?” He shook his head, and his hands sketched improbable dimensions. Now Ennio was frowning. “So . . . The rhymes were altered. I wonder why?” 0 likes
“Everybody loves a good mystery. In this one, Sarah Hoyt sets us up with a secret hidden within the nursery rhymes preserved for kids on a multigenerational starship. Why, one goes on to wonder, would anyone need to hide information on a starship anyhow? *** Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t been twenty and faced with the oldest problem a girl could have. I was being courted by two men and I didn’t know which I preferred.” 0 likes