Start by marking “Disappearing Home” as Want to Read:
Disappearing Home

Disappearing Home

Ten-year-old Robyn is the best shoplifter in the Liverpool tenement block she calls home. She's as tough as they come, but while she puts food on the table and tries to fit in at school, her mum and abusive step-father sleep off their hangovers at home.

As often as she can, Robyn escapes to her nan's cosy flat on the other side of town, where she reads Anne of Green Gables
Published March 1st 2012 by Tindal Street

To ask other readers questions about Disappearing Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disappearing Home

Start your review of Disappearing Home
Julie Powell
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't want to give away any spoilers but from the first introduction, I wanted to take Robyn home and nurture and protect her.

This story is one of heartbreak and hope, where dreams are measured in cartwheels and curry with chips is a luxury.

I absolutely loved the writing, so exquisite and real, so much so that I didn't want the story to end.

Being a writer myself, I learned much from this excellent piece of writing and urge for more of the same.

If I could have given twice as many stars allowed,
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Robyn is a young girl who just wants a loving home where she isnt scared for her own safety as well as her mothers. It would be hard not to get wrapped up in what is going on in Robyns life. My heart literally broke for her as she struggles with friendship, home life and wanting a stable home with a loving family.

Robyns dad is a nasty piece of work who certainly rules the roost. He takes his anger and frustration out on both Robyn and her mother. Forced into stealing to benefit others, I was so
Abigail T
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a signed copy of this book from my sister in law for my birthday. I did not realise until half way through that it was fiction. A great read and I found it thoroughly addictive, I enjoyed the tales of the tenement blocks as my mum also grew up in them in Liverpool so i found the story really nostalgic. A really charming read that also cuts to the bone of what it was like growing up back then in a deprived area. Loved it!
booklover BEV
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GOOD THRILLER. I loved robin's story was really good. A slow start but then found myself grasp into the story. Growing up in the 70's Liverpool Robyn suffers terrible abuse physically. But loved her strength of character. Found the story moving throughout.
mark
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt for Robyn, this storys child narrator, right from the beginning. Its shocking what she has to put up with, and things keep getting worse and worse, particularly due to her psychopathic father a vain, thuggish, tyrant, who similarly keeps Robyns mother in check with violence.

Robyn is expected to steal for her parents so they can go down the pub. Shes good at it, and as the book progresses, more and more people seek to exploit her in this way.

Robyns principal ally is her nan, May. I
Pam
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disappearing Home is by Deborah Morgan. This is a thriller about a young girl whose life is in danger and she is helpless to do anything about it. It is designed to make us aware of childhood poverty, child abuse, spousal abuse, and what is being done or not done to help it.
Robyn was ten when she first started stealing. Her parents forced her to do this and had her repeat it especially when they needed food, although she did it for other people too. Robyn knows what is right and wrong and knows
Anna Douillard
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: facebook
Compelling story

Sometimes when I am in the middle of a book and it is boring, I can't wait to finish it to get it over with. This is completely opposite to that. This young girl is so brave and admiral I had to read it all the to the end and enjoyed every minute.
Margaret Bamford
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sad book but one with hope for the main character who intended to have a better life. I read this book quickly because it was one that I could not put down. This story will stay in my mind for a long time.
Mrs Corinna Holmes
Afraid this disappointed I kept reading and reading waiting for something to happen and right at the end it was all rushed and almost predictable to a point. A sad story and in an ideal world I had hoped the main character would get a much better ending .
Michelle Prosser
Recommend

Thoroughly enjoyed.sad story but pure real life as this does happen.but after so much sadness a happy ending at last x
Ann Morton
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

This book is a really good read. Enjoyed every page of it. Highly recommended too everyone who likes a good book
Mikka Gottstein
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Ein kleines Mädchen schaut den Leser aus dem Titelbild des Bucher heraus an. Ungekämmt, leicht ungepflegt, der Ausdruck traurig, misstrauisch und seltsam weltmüde für ihr Alter. Der kurze Werbetext daneben verspricht eine profunde, realistische Geschichte - und das ist ohne Zweifel wahr. Aber außerdem verspricht er ein "zutiefst unterhaltsames" Lesevergnügen, und das war das Buch für mich größtenteils leider nicht.

Schon auf den ersten Seiten der Geschichte wird klar: Robyn ist intelligent und
Kb
A very quick read because it was so compelling I was glued to every page. Although my childhood was very different, I am almost the same age as Robyn. I have visited Liverpool and seen the waterfront and the buildings with the golden Liver birds (rhymes with "fiver", not "river" -- for those that didn't know). Oh, and my grandma used to mail us English comics, which means I even read Bunty when I was a kid. So some of the little touches of popular culture in the story really resonated with me, ...more
Nicole McCann
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It feels wrong to say it was "great" story because it was a harsh, sad story about poverty and a beautifully clever girl growing up (or trying to grow up)in a bad situation with no-one to help her. I loved the way it was written from her point of view (11-12 year old) it was very clever.Very descriptive writing - here is an example: "Once our front door is open, you step straight into the lobby. It takes two cartwheels from here to get to the living room. It takes half a cartwheel to get from ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of hope and heartbreak. Robyn does what she has to do to survive, shoplifting when she has to. Her Grandmother is a fun loving women who offers her wisdom, comfort and hope. She hopes Robyn will be different than her parents. Meanwhile Robyn is learning about the unpredictable ways of the people around her and about her own potential. A very emotional read i just wanted to take her home and protect her.
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Robyn is an 11-year-old girl with parents who have forced her to become street smart. They've shown her how to shoplift and expect her to steal everything on their shopping list. They are verbally and sometimes physically abusive. Robyn continues to love her mom through it all. They both do their best to survive and finally turn to drastic measures.
Sue Frances
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I felt so sad for Robyn, the little girl in this book. My heart ached for her. Her world is rough and her life unfair! I always enjoy reading books about Liverpool, my dad grew up in Scotland Roads tenements so I could well imagine Robyn's tough time growing up. A really good read, heartbreaking but never sentimental!
Sue Gardner
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed Robyn's journey through complex issues affecting so many childhoods Deborah Morgan makes you want to know more about the characters and their stories :) can't wait for your next book ****
James
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Touching, true, absorbing and moving without being sentimental or special pleading - one of those novels you almost slide through it is so smoothly written and yet throughout you are completely engaged.
Kirstie
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this, you can't but help love the poor girl who is the main character.

It makes me want to know where she is now and how she turned out

Fab book and I'd recommend it
Carol
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Touching true story without being sentimental. Lots of good visual images.
Frances
Oct 04, 2018
Melissa Tessman
Jul 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• No Fourth River. A Novel Based on a True Story. A profoundly moving read about a woman's fight for survival.
  • The Paramedic's Daughter
  • The Girl In His Eyes
  • Whatever Happened to Betsy Blake?
  • The Regret
  • The Broken Road Home: A True Story
  • The Workhouse Daughter
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Enemy At The Window
  • Hush Hush (DS Grace Allendale, #1)
  • Dangerous Girl (Anna Davis #2)
  • I Looked Away
  • Stolen Sister
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • My Favorite Cowboy (Heart of Texas #3)
  • The New Husband
  • The Lost Sister (Detective Arla Baker #1)
  • He Will Find You (Maddie Ives, #3)