Start by marking “They Tell Me I'm The Bad Guy” as Want to Read:
They Tell Me I'm The Bad Guy

They Tell Me I'm The Bad Guy

Work. Home. Work. Home. Drink. Smoke. Work. Home. It's a routine that's kept Donnie Guillory a free man ten years after one of the most shocking acts of Post-Human devastation the world had ever seen. Control, caution and a factory time clock run his life, his fireproof suit long ago moth-balled along with hazy drunken memories of tearing up Europe. But someone with abilit ...more
Published November 7th 2011 by St. Agatha Press (first published November 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about They Tell Me I'm The Bad Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Tell Me I'm The Bad Guy

Watchmen by Alan MooreSoon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonBatman by Frank MillerHero by Perry Moore
Superhero Fiction
693 books — 1,131 voters
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanHero by Perry MooreWild Cards by George R.R. MartinKingdom of Heroes by Jay  PhillipsThe Shifter Dimension by J.M. Johnson
Super Hero Books
265 books — 264 voters

More lists with this book...

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A fun mix of brutallish simple-ish middle-aged guy with 'Ability to manipulate molecular activity to create heat and self-sustaining fires' which basically is pyrokinetic powers.
Fun and quick read, ultra realistic, with paranoramal and x-men added for good measure.
Still, too much blasphemy, too many x-men variations stuffed in, too many repetitive phrases, I believe the f-word in various its forms was much too freaquent, phrase 'Got some use out of it' was repeated and repeated and repeated...
David
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just enjoyed the f**king hell out of it. An amazing adrenaline ride. In the story there are people with superpowers called Post-Humans. Some are criminals, some help the government track down said criminals, and some try to quietly live normal lives. Our main character Don or as he is also called, Das Biest von Feure (The Beast of Fire), tries the latter but he isn't destined to be left alone. Populated with a fascinating cast of characters the story takes you on a wild ride that rarely lets up. ...more
Isaac
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
You are following Don, a "post human" (poster) pyrokinetic trying to reform his life after years of petty violent crime. He is an all around unlikeable person, but you still can't help but root for his sorry selfish lying ass as he struggles to do the right thing, if only for his own selfish reasons.

The book is chalk full of action and sometimes it is hard to take a breath. Grammar is a bit of distraction at times, but bearable.
C Patrick Daily
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle, favorites
Absolutely my favorite Supers novel.
Terry
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Loved this book. More urban science fiction than urban fantasy.

The Dresden Files are great. 'They Tell Me I'm The Bad Guy' is sometimes darker, faster and occasionally much crazier.

No werewolves, vampires, wizards, etc. These characters are 'post humans'. The apparent 'next step' in humans. They have a variety of random abilities and powers.

Some can communicate with dogs. The main character can set you on fire instantly by just thinking it. Other characters have more disturbing abilities. Man
Rick Portier
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Donnie Guillory is a bad guy. At least that's what they say. The post-human with pyrokenetic powers is a foul-mouthed, chain-smoking, whiskey-swilling bad-ass that you cannot help but like.

When a friend talks him into one last heist, things go bad -- really bad, really fast. Then it's up to Donnie to literally save the world.

Sure, it's a sci-fi, apocalyptic genre with shady characters with strange powers, but it doesn't feel like sci-fi. The plot is all action hero.

Harless is a first-time author
Ryan Aech
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Other reviewers have critisized this book for editing errors. I only found three major errors in the entire novel. The plot is excellent, the characters are well developed. The only issue that I have is that the protagonist is not a villain. The author implies he is a villain because he smokes, drinks, enjoys sex ,and does drugs. These superficial qualities don't make a villain.
The ending is exceptional, and the world is well developed.
If you are going to read one superhero fiction book, make
Francesca
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
This book seemed almost childish. The plot line was good, with a few interesting twists. I actually liked the ending, but almost nothing before that. I don't need a plethora of curse words and I don't need a plethora of violence to make me like or dislike someone. The main character wasn't even an anti-hero, he was a bad guy.

Tough book to read, tough book to like. I didn't. And that's odd for me.
Karlo
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a much better read then I expected it to be (likely preconceptions based on a bad cover). The whole thing had a bit of a Boyd Crowder feel to it. I enjoyed the voice of the Anti-Hero, and the nature of his relationship with his friend. It all felt very natural and believable in a genre that typically feels ridiculous.
Trax
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think Donnie Guillory is one of my favorite characters ever, especially in regard to those with powers. He is foul mouthed, smart assed, angry, and drunk much of the time. I thought it was a good take on superpowers/superheroes (post humans) and very funny much of the time.
Michael
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Confusing plot line, tons of grammatical errors, no real world building, cheesy dialogue, and characters that made me wonder what they were there for. I wanted to enjoy the book, but in the end there was just too many problems for me to feel even remotely satisfied.
Discfan2
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The main character, Donnie, is unabashedly a villain. He’s loyal to his friends but otherwise is strictly out for himself. Even when he’s is saving the world its more for self interest instead of the clichéd villain redemption bit.
Sophie
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Incredible
Great twists around every turn
Too bad there isn't a sequel though
Michelle
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
If loving this fucking novel about people with fucking superpowers and dropping fucking F-bombs every other word is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Eric Gardner
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Super gritty, and nasty, at last a bad guy book that isn't for kids!
Paul
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Good, but not great. Pacing is a bit odd, motivations and characters could be more developed.
Carl
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A blue-collar supervillain's plans for a quiet life go up in flames. Good examples of the problems with teaming up with undependable criminals who think with their powers. A bit gory in bits.
Jack Garvey
Jun 04, 2017
ole kristian
Sep 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Subject 12 (Guild Files, Volume 1)
  • Secrets of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #2)
  • Blackjack Villain (Blackjack #1)
  • Other People's Heroes
  • Chance Fortune and the Outlaws
  • Don't Be a Hero
  • PHYSIC
  • Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)
  • Lifeline
  • Shadow Season
  • In Hero Years... I'm Dead
  • The Doomsday Device (Teen Superheroes #2)
  • How to Succeed in Evil
  • Bob Moore: No Hero  (Bob Moore, #1)
  • Super Villain Dad (Cape High, #1)
  • Cold Caller
  • Tourists of the Apocalypse
  • No Master Plan Here (Madness Runs in the Family, #1)
R. D. Harless is a husband and father currently living in Georgia. All work and no play makes him a dull boy, as evidenced by every page of the book he is currently working on. He enjoys referring to himself in the third person for internet profiles and may consider expanding it to everyday social situations in the future.