Start by marking “Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn, #2)

Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  3,546 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
Love is Fear is the highly anticipated sequel to the Number One Fantasy Bestseller, Love is Darkness.

After a lot of swearing and only a little nookie, Valerie Dearborn has decided to make a change. No more lusting after Lucas, the hot, but emotionless, vampire king who can’t commit. Instead she’s going to make it work with Jack. After all, not only is he breathing, but he
Published December 15th 2011 (first published December 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Love is Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love is Fear

Keren Hughes
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars! (and would give it more if it was possible)

You know what? This book left me speechless! I could not think of a word to describe it accurately. So I left it a while, and came back to write this review.

I asked myself: Is it awesome? Yeah sure. Is it brilliant? Without a doubt. Is it breath-taking? Definitely! Is it captivating? Entirely. I could not stop devouring the words on the page.
The thing is, it was all of these things and more. I cannot think of enough w
Ghadeer A
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok so I feel conflicted to say the least..

I can't decide if this series is so good that it feels bad or so bad that it feels good...?

I mean for one thing it is called Valerie Dearborn series but she is NOT the only leading character ..and the jumping from one POV to another sometimes so suddenly and in the middle of an important scene is annoying to say the least..not to mention the writing was not that good..

In some ways it reminds me of the Sookie Stackhouse series ..Valerie is an empath and S
Novels On The Run
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 5 SMOKIN' SCENE STEALING STARS!

Caroline went full throttle in this installment of Valerie Dearborn. I didn’t even write notes, my bad, as I just read with gluttonous abandon. I didn’t even stop for the many quotes I could rip from the pages. Once I started, there was no slowing down.

That is how this book made me feel. Crazy good!

I am going to tell those, who have not started this book/series, there is one scene in this book that goes on and on and on. * waggles eyebrow
Gina
Jan 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
what. the. hell!!! i mean really!! WTH happened to book two here???? I was so totally disapointed with this book!!! Between all of the sex scenes (dont get me wrong i love a good romance novel) but good grief....this went into overkill for me. I had to force myself to even get as far as i did in this book hoping and praying that it would get better. BUT the last 25% i totally bailed on. I simply could not force myself to finish this book.....

So not worth it....
Rabidreading
Nov 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 42%

I tried, OMG did I try, but Valerie is driving me absolutely bugf*ck. If I have to be inside her whiny-ass, immature head a minute longer, I swear I'm gonna break something.

Definitely NOT the series for me.
VampireNovelFan
Love is Fear is even better than Book 1!

"He was on the ground, unmoving, bloody ropes of intestine surrounding him. He needs those, she thought stupidly and rushed to him, trying to stuff them back into his stomach."

In the latest Valerie Dearborn novel by Caroline Hanson, Love is Fear, we're finally delving into the supernatural world that we merely heard about in the first book. The playing field evens out as Lucas, Rachel, Valerie, and Jack are thrust into the land of the Fey where vampires
Lina (From the Verge)
It took me forever to finish this book. It dragged and dragged and dragged.

Seriously, Val needs a hobby, friends, books or to get out more. Gah! Being in her head was sooooooo boring!

This whole:
I love you Jack, but you're not good enough for me because you won't accommodate to my desires.
Lucas you're se hot I can keep myself restrained when I'm with you. Sure, you're a serial cold blooded killer, but hey, the sex is amazing, so sure I really don't care.

I don't like to swear, but: It's just so
Jess
DNF @ 34%. I mean, I started it. Do I get points for that?

1.5 stars.

Couldn't continue after Valerie said this to Lucas:

"It's so stupid, but no one wants me for me. No one will put me first. My safety or my happiness. I've got two stupidly hot guys who want my body, but that's not enough. I couldn't even get the tiniest violin to play a pity song for me because I'm so pathetic."

description

Seriously?

description

She needs to get her fucking head out of her ass. I cannot even... I'm done.
Nazrin
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So I just finished the book. I have conflicting emotions about it. I like everything - the story, the characters, the writing, but I was a bit sadened by the turn the plot took.
One thing in this book that I strangely like and dislike at the same time is the lack of black and white zone - everything is gray. What I mean is that none of the characters are either good or bad, they all have a little bit of both in them. In general it is a good thing in a book, it makes the characters more real and
Flocharda
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
¿POR QUÉ CAROLINE, POR QUÉ? Y lo que más se me viene a la mente decir es: MIERDA, MIERDA, MIERDA

Ahora quiero despotricar contra los personajes y ESE final ¬¬

¿Por qué Jack? ¿Tan importante es la venganza? Ere un maldito hdp. Rachel, ojalá que mueras muuuuy lentamente, no me importa si a manos de Val o de Lucas, pero muerete maldita perra!!! ¿Si matan a Rachel, morirá Jack? Val, metiste la pata a lo grande, chica. Lucas, Dios mío, ¡que no te maten los Lobos!!!! Cer, ojalá la Reina hubiera quemado
Danielle (Danniegurl)
This is quiet the interesting series. The book picks up right where we left off. Lots going on, lots more with Lucas but also more with Rachel and Jack. It's interesting to see Jacks pov, but to see how he really feels. Valerie and Jack run away to Hawaii to pretend they can live a normal life, ha ha ha yea. Fat chance right. I don't like Jack, I think he's rude, and he thinks Valerie should be a certain way but isn't. And that's not love. That an idea of it. You can make someone be who they are ...more
Ciara
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Val, Val, Val!!!! What have you gotten yourself into? I must say that I absolutely LOVED this sequel and not just because I was anxiously anticipating it to be released since finishing the first one, Love is Darkness!!! Valerie Dearborn and me really would get along just great if she existed and let me tell ya, I would totally smack her around this time after the mess she's gotten herself into this time!!! Sometimes when we are so close to a situation we fail to see what is RIGHT in front of us, ...more
Raquel
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires-n-weres
Suzanne
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Brilliant, I can't wait to get started on the next one :)
Ruby
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fanger Frothers that can tolerant a slightly obnoxious and demanding female protagonist
For all you peeps that have been anxiously waiting for this review, well without further ado here is my review (I fancy myself a Dr. Seuss prodigy).

So to my loyal fans, you may have noticed I gave this a five star for the first book, but now shock horror this is 4 stars. Like with most stories I read its all exciting watching the sexual chemistry before the two protagonists get together - to then you squeal in excitement and create their slightly sick/adorable couple name. But let me tell you t
Kim Chappell
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, purchased
Irina Villacis
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
yo sé que son 3 libros pero juró que en mi mente se me hace como si fuera solo 1 . es que todo lo lei muy rapido.

me gusta muchisimo. no puedes confiar en nadie. por eso me gusta esos libros. todos son posibles , son probables y amables.
Jenn Green
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Vampires, Witches & Werewolves........ oh my!! And who could forget the Fey, the things that Vampires fear?!? Or Empaths?? This book is chock full of the Supernatural aka "Others"

In Love is Fear we start off with a brief glimpse back in time where we meet Cerdewellyn King of the Fey & find out the fate of the Others. Where they disappeared to & why.
And than it picks up right where we left off in Love is Darkness, with Val in quite the predicament.
From here on out this book does not s
Jodie
Wowza...I don't even know where to begin with this series...My thoughts are all over the shop. All I know for certain after reaching the final page is that I loathe cliff hangers (particularly when I google like crazy to find the authors blog & see she hasn't even written the 3rd book. Arghhhhhh) and also, that I adore this series. It is going down as one of my top 5!

Ok, where to start? Do you want me to write what the book is about? No, just read the damn book. Its everything you are hoping
Kris
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I LOVED the first book in this series. The story was great, the characters were interesting, and the ending was epic. I liked this entry, but I didn't love it (really more of a 3.5 star rating).Also, this is mildly SPOILERISH. Like a few other reviewers, I think my main issue is with Valerie. I don't get her motivations for her actions...I understand her misgivings, her trust issues, even her nostalgic feelings. None of that really explains her actions. They did read as organic for me, very few ...more
Shelley
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Valerie has always wanted a normal, human life, but thanks to the vampires, her hopes were taken away when she was a child, and despite her efforts, they continue to pull her into their world and the dangers she is trying to avoid. which is difficult as she has been trained to be a vampire hunter. The sight of blood makes her faint, and she definately doesn't like being the target for any pain!
Even worse, Val carries a truck load of emotional baggage and that is where her problems really start.
Pam Godwin
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
**This is a review of the trilogy as a whole.**

Forget Twilight. This series is one of the best hidden treasures amidst a genre of brooding passive-aggressive vampires. In this densely carnal, twisted take on fey, vampire, and otherworld magic, the heroine Valerie shines beneath the crushing weight of her love for two heroes. Jack, her childhood friend turned vampire hunter, is committed to keeping things platonically frustrating. Lucas, the 1600 year old vampire king, is complicated by his cold
Kay
Valerie is an empath. Her kind use to be the mediator between the Others (vamps, weres, witches and the fae). Lucas, the vampire king, destroyed all the Others centuries ago. Now, he wants to bring the Others back with Valerie's help.

I liked this book a lot more than the first. Valerie makes a choice between Jack and Lucas in the beginning but happiness does not last long. It actually gets very complicated. These characters, including Rachel, are very complex. What is so great is that the autho
Sara
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book contains one of the hottest sex scenes I have ever read. EVER. And I have read a lot of smutty stuff. Amazing. Where can I find a Lucas? The thing that bugged me the most about Valerie was all of her whining about "love" - her definition of love couldn't be accomplished by Lucas, but could it be accomplished by anyone? Isn't it different for everyone? How can she tell him what he can't and cannot feel?

I really started to dislike Jack, and wasn't surprised where he ended up. It fi
Talk Supe
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Damn this! I'm going to be childish and pout about Val, I sure hate her guts right now. I feel bad for Jack but I'm happy that because of what happened to him Val got a very rude awakening. As you can tell, I am far from being emphatic with Valerie even if I understand where her reasoning missteps came from, I still think she's a ho and I was beyond gleeful with the ending because she had it coming! Though I'm not a happy camper as far as our heroine is concerned overall I love LOVE IS FEAR, onl ...more
Phoebe
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
That Jack and Rachel thing came like a freight train. Wasn't expecting that huge change though. Now Val has no one but a Fey king and has just been thrown off a cliff towards some power and knowledge she doesn't want.

I bet Lucas won't be too happy once he wakes up. Jack and Rachel will be. I wonder if they'll try to kill him and then go off on their rescue mission to save Rachel's niece from the witches. Will Jack realize he abandoned Valerie. She so needs to let him go now. He chose the vamp.

Valerie Yoder-specht
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Whoa! I loved the first one and the same goes for this one. A new character is introduced in this book that is very mysterious, powerful and hot. This authors ending are abrupt so prepare yourself for that.Was anybody here a fan of Melrose Place? Her endings kinda make me feel like I did when that chick pulled off her wig and there was that hug nasty scar wrapping around her head and you're all like "WHAAAT?" and then the screen goes dark... But I totally tuned in the next season and I will tota ...more
Tia
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was frustrating, everything was wrong but right in a lot of ways. I am so effin sad for the heroine. She just wanted someone to love her and they all betrayed and used her horribly. It's sick and it's sad. Lucas uses her and did morally wrong things to her. Rachel is an effin cunt and Jack abandoned her at the end pretty much. Then it ended off at the most ridiculous point ever. UGH! Now we don't get another novel until Dec, a FULL YEAR in between books. What a HUGE fail!
Say
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: march-2012-reads
one thing's for sure all the people here are horny........AS IN HORNY.....ALL OF THE FREAKIN' TIME!!! Lucas, Valerie, Jack even the freakin' fey! God, all of the characters here has SEX....SEX.....SEX on their minds! I really find it annoying. Don't get me wrong I liked how the story is going....vampires, fey, werewolves, witches but the characters were too much for me. Though Rachel is among the horny people, i find her less annoying at times.
  • Deceived (Gwen Sparks, #2)
  • Devour (Warm Delicacy, #3)
  • Original Sin (Alexandra Jones, #2)
  • A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2)
  • Twist (Mageri, #2)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • Bound by the Vampire (Blood and Absinthe, #2)
  • Cold Blood (Dirty Blood, #2)
  • The Burning Bush (Santeria Habitat, #2)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Shades of Blood (Warriors of Ankh, #3)
  • The Rise (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #3)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Haunted (Caged, #2)
  • Surviving Seduction (The Shattered World, #2)
Caroline Hanson grew up in California and moved to London in order to dance and go to pubs. Eventually, she matured enough to marry and imported an Englishman, returning to the United States.

After passing the bar, she had two children and now tries to parent, read, write and play tennis. She's heard rumors that other mothers clean and cook but is putting in serious effort to make sure those rumors
More about Caroline Hanson...

Valerie Dearborn (3 books)
  • Love is Darkness (Valerie Dearborn, #1)
  • Love Is Mortal (Valerie Dearborn, #3)

“He was beautiful, like looking at a favorite piece of artwork. Not something one can own, but something in a faraway museum, where she would have to go halfway around the world, push through crowds on people, just to catch a glimpse of his unreal splendor.” 3 likes