Start by marking “Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)

Deadly Politics

(A Molly Malone Mystery #1)

A gripping new mystery from New York Times bestselling author Maggie Sefton

Molly Malone was driven from Washington, D.C., by political back-stabbing, scandals, and personal heartbreak. But now she's starting a new life in the one place she swore she'd never come back to.

When Molly's only Washington job prospect falls through, her politico niece, Karen, sets her up with a
Published August 8th 2012 by Midnight Ink (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Politics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Politics

Susan
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I haven't been enjoying Sefton's other series for a while, but decided to give this a try. Again, there's a caffeine- and running-addicted accountant, but Molly is older, more cynical, a political widow down on her luck who is forced to return to Washington to get a job. She signs on with a new Senator and things seem to be going well, until her niece, also a congressional staffer, is murdered. It looks like a mugging, but the reader knows (from chapter 1, so I don't consider this a spoiler) tha ...more
Mary Jane
Feb 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was a total waste of time and money. Or, as Ms Sefton would write: Badly written. Characters unlikeable. Poorly plotted. Set up for sequel.
Aisha Oaktree
James
Jan 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I lost all patience with this book when the author had the main character refer to a friend as "Miss Thing" At that moment I realized how clumsy the dialogue was and how sloppily written the book was. I'd hoped the mystery would be wrapped up by the end of the book, but unfortunately I'm going to have to plow through other bad books to find any resolution. I'm not happy about that....
Melodie
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
About a 2.5 star read and rounding up since she's a Colorado author. I got this in a giveaway on Facebook awhile back and finally got it read. The premise for the story was a pretty good one, but it just didn't seem to go anywhere for me. Never developed any feeling for Molly one way or the other, but was fascinated by the fact that she seemed to eat out ALL the time! Not really a good sign when that's probably the main thing you remember about the book. I know Ms. Sefton's knitting series is qu ...more
LORI CASWELL
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Molly Malone, the wife of a former congressman, returns to Washington D.C. to start over. She never thought she would return to the town full of backstabbing politicians and personal heartbreak but this is where her family is and she needs them now more than ever.

She thought she had a job all lined up but it fell through at the last minute. Her niece, Karen, works "on the hill", sets her up to interview with freshman senator tracking his budgets and finance and she takes the job. Karen and Maggi
Deb
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Molly Malone comes back to DC.
1. When Sefton has Molly involved in summing up dialog with characters (back story), Sefton never writes "and Molly explained what she'd discovered". The reader has to reread what was discovered even though we were there when she discovered it, AND we were there when she'd reported it word for word to two other characters before the one we are reading about now.
2. Molly and her male friend, Danny, eat out ALL the time. I should've counted all the places they ate in
Pooch
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I continually return to this author because I want to like her books, but her writing style distracts from the story. Much of this book is the back-story on each character; so that the action does not move forward so much as stagnate. Another distraction is the over-use of similes. The awkward writing takes my attention away from what I had hoped would be an enjoyable read.

This is a promising series with an interesting premise as the widow of respected legislator returns to D.C. and the swirl of
Connie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is #1 in a Molly Malone Mystery.

Molly Malone returned to Washington, DC and finds herself working for a congressman when she thought she had left this all behind in Colorado. I enjoyed getting to know Molly and the people that she interacted with. The whole story takes place in the DC area and I did feel at times I was back there because she described some of the streets as I remember them.

It ended with me wanting to know what happens next, because I don't believe this story has ended.

I am
Amy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was so different that her knitting mysteries - thank goodness. I don't enjoy that series as much. My mom recommended I try this series and I really did enjoy it. I gave it 3 stars because the language doesn't flow very well for me and I didn't relate as well to her anger outbursts and the way she dealt with people. It was an interesting, although not a new idea, for a plot. I loved the Washington politics angle and found it fascinating to see how things worked.
Kim Veach
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I liked this book even though I'm suspicious of almost every character in it. As I got near the end, I thought that there would be no way for her to tie it all up - and I was right. I would have liked a little more of a complete ending but obviously, this is meant to be a series of books. I'll read the next one but hope it develops further.
Denise
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
A 2.5 really. Very unbelievable mystery.
Kathy Davie
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political, mystery
First in the Molly Malone mystery suspense series featuring Molly, an accountant who wants nothing to do with the politics that destroyed her first husband's life. But ends up back in Washington D.C. to her horror!

I was conflicted as to whether to give this a "3" for the minimal tension/drama or a "4" for the twists Sefton has created and the warm characters whom I like. Since Goodreads and Amazon don't accept halfway measures, I'm choosing the "4", if only because there is a promise in this sta
Sandi
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book was brought to my attention through the Cozy Mystery Book Club here on Goodreads. I had read several from Sefton's knitting series but didn't realize she had any other series.

I wasn't really anxious to read a political mystery but decided to take part in the club read. I'm so glad I did. Will be reading the rest of the series.
Marilyn
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this series better than the knitting series, and I love those. Wish there were more of this series.
Sarah Warren
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Kept my attentions during read it in 3 days. Did not like the ending.
Tammie Gunter
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, loved it fresh story that takes place in Denver and Dc. Great story loved it, cant wait to read the next 2.
Ariel
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Maggie Sefton is the New York Times bestselling author of Knitting Mystery series (Berkeley Prime Crime). Her debut knitting mystery, Knit One, Kill Two, was named an Agatha Award finalist in 2005. But Maggie has ventured into political suspense with a new series set in the treacherous waters of Washington D.C.

Ever since her late husband went through the emotional turmoil of D.C. that may have caused his death, Molly Mallone is jaded when it comes to Washington politics. Molly has moved back to
Fred
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deadly Politics is the first book in the Molly Malone Mystery series.

As with all of Maggie Sefton's books, I loved this new series. Certainly different from her Knitting series, but a wonderful change of pace, story wise.

Molly has decided to move back to D.C., so that she can be close to her mother who getting up in years. Upon arriving Molly soon learns that the job she thought she had, was no longer available. Molly is going to stay with a cousin until she can get relocated, but she now needs
Mary
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I only know Maggie Sefton from her books on knitting and Colorado ranching. I have read all of her knitting books except the newest one which I just received for Mother's Day.

This book introduced us to Molly Malone, the widowed wife of a Colorado congressman and the daughter of a deceased well loved Senator from Colorado. Once widowed and once divorced, she is not looking for a new man in her life right at the moment.

Her Mom is in a high priced retirement home in Virginia where Molly grew up an
Rebecca Harrison
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed DEADLY POLITICS by Maggie Sefton. This book kept my interest throughout and left me wanting more. Hurry with the second book in the MOLLY MALONE SERIES. Molly Malone has been in the Washington DC area before. She has come back again to start anew. She left to start anew. Molly lost her first husband to suicide because as a senator he tried too hard to do the right thing while so many others wanted to do the wrong thing. Molly ran to Colorado, her husband's home state to start an ...more
TheGeekyBlogger
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Read for Fun
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.50

Fall Funk Reviews (Quick and Dirty because I am in a Review Writing Funk)

First Thought when Finished: Deadly Politics is a solid beginning to a brand new series from Maggie Sefton.

What I Thought of the Story: Deadly Politics started off a little slow but then picked up steam towards the end. While the pacing was a little off, the writing was fun and I think it works for a first in series book. There was a little too much ti
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Molly Malone has returned to Washington, D.C. in order to pursue her accounting career for a developer. Upon reaching the tarmac, she finds out that her job prospect has fizzled but her niece, Karen finds her a new one with the Freshman Senator from Colorado, John Russell.

The job seems custom made to Molly who had been married to a Congressman, prior his untimely death decades earlier. Then horror strikes again...Karen is murdered while sitting in her car at a reception held by Senator Russell.
Beth Harper
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book more than Sefton's knitting mysteries. The characters were more distinct, and the detective was more active. I loved the descriptions of physical Washington DC, especially Georgetown. It really reminded me of my trips to Washington. I think, however, the main character, Molly, is a little too good to be true. I think the author fell into the trap telling, not showing. Lots of other characters raved about Molly's political skills, but I don't think we saw them enough. Her love i ...more
Deb
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sefton takes us behind-the-scenes of Washington D.C.’s political machinery in such a realistic way I suspect the author has insider information and connections. She has created a powerhouse of a sleuth in Molly Malone, a woman with a scarred past, who takes a risk by returning to D.C. to face the ghosts that torment her. Brimming with suspense and atmosphere, the cast of vivid characters kept me glued to the pages. But it’s Molly Malone who really steals the show. I'm looking forward to the next ...more
Jillian
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Promising. After the latest in the Lambspun
series, which I found a bit jaded, this was refreshing. The writing flowed better and the suspense was sustained. The sinister conspiracy undertones were very Patricia Highsmith- and set up for a series.

While the characters were engaging and superficially believable, there was a disjunction between their adaptation to the seemingly random violence and death of close relatives and friends and apparent long term anger at past losses.

I hope the series dev
Amy Vendetti
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, cozy-mystery
It is sad for me to say (because I love Maggie Sefton's writing so much) that I did not enjoy this book as much as I hoped. I am not a political person however, and I am sore that is part of it .. I did really enjoy the characters :). but was displeased with who the murder victims were since i feel they were too close to the main character and were very likable characters :(

I also felt cheated out of the ending which I can not say why without ruining it for others..

Will I read more of the series
Phyllis
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, this book was an experience! I did manage to navigate my way through the plethora of characters in the book. If a book that is swimming with characters is not your fancy, skip this one.

Molly Malone did not come through as believable to me. She seems to be 56 going on twenty-something.

Lastly, the ending left me cold. It was an open invitation to 'tune in next week' for the next episode of Molly Malone vs. Washington DC.
Jovdb
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked her knitting series but they got a bit predictable after a while, so I thought I would try this series out. I read the second one first and thought that the heroine, Molly, was so like her female character in her other novel, down to the coffee addiction, the running and the accounting, that it felt like reading the same thing.

This novel didn't change my mind.

I won't be reading any more in this series.
JoAnne
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This is book 1 in a new series by Sefton but I didn't enjoy it as much as her Knitting Mystery series. This series is darker, with Washington and politics at its core. There were a few light hearted moments but they were rare. There were too many bodies that were easy for the reader to connect but not the characters in the story. I look forward to reading book 2 to see if there's better plot and character development and if Sefton gets back her groove.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Grace Among Thieves (Manor House Mystery, #3)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
  • Patient One (Dr. David Ballineau and Carolyn Ross #1)
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • How to Dine on Killer Wine (Party Planning, #5)
  • Dead Man Waltzing (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #2)
  • Faithful Unto Death
  • What the Cat Saw
  • The Scarlet Pepper (A White House Gardener Mystery, #2)
  • Ready, Scrap, Shoot (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #6)
  • The Azalea Assault (A Garden Society Mystery, #1)
  • Hot Button (Button Box Mystery, #2)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)
  • Till Death Do Us Purl (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #4)
  • Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • Back in the Habit  (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #2)
  • Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #2)
Aka Margaret Conlan

From author website:

"First, a little biographical information as introduction: Born in Richmond, VA, I grew up in Northern Virginia in Arlington, close to Washington, D.C. I attended university and received a Bachelor's degree in English Literature & Journalism, married, and started my family there. All four of my daughters are grown and established in careers of their own

A Molly Malone Mystery (3 books)
  • Poisoned Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #2)
  • Bloody Politics (Molly Malone, #3)