Start by marking “Ravenscliffe” as Want to Read:
Ravenscliffe

Ravenscliffe

(Eve Williams #2)

Yorkshire, 1904. On Netherwood Common, Russian émigré Anna Rabinovich shows her dear friend Eve Williams a house: a Victorian villa, solidly built from local stone. This is Ravenscliffe, and it’s the house Anna wants them to live in. It’s their house, she says. It was meant to be.

As Anna transforms Ravenscliffe, an attraction grows between her and union man Amos. But when
Published September 30th 2012 by Sphere (first published September 27th 2012)

Start your review of Ravenscliffe
Jojo
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read the previous novel in this series some time ago, and I thought it was about time that I continued with the trilogy. Unfortunately, this book did not live up to the same standards as the first. I really enjoyed "Netherwood" as it had a grand cast of characters, that were well developed, and there was always something going on. This book, however, was distinctly flat.

There seemed to be lots going on, but not enough to actually develop the plot accordingly. Nothing seemed to be written in
Kayla Beck
You can read my review of Netherwood (Eve Williams #1) HERE.

Being as I review a diverse assortment of genres, I feel extremely lucky to have landed three fantastic historical fiction novels in such a short period of time. Ravenscliffe was just as well-written as it's predecessor, Netherwood , but I enjoyed Ravenscliffe so much more. I have also come to the conclusion that the series being titled Eve Williams is a bit misleading, as the story encompassing quite a few people living at
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during Downton Denial (February 2014)

Eve Williams can hardly credit that she is living the life she is. Mere months before she was on her way to destitution as a widow with three children, but now she's engaged to be married to Daniel MacLeod, the head gardener at Netherwood, has a thriving business, and is moving into the substantially larger Ravenscliffe house on Netherwood Common. Much of these successes are thanks to the
Aimee
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about this book. I loved all of the historical details, especially all of the time Sanderson spends on the servants and their duties. This part of the book was fascinating, I definitely enjoyed the parts involving the servants the most in this book. I also really liked the time spent on the miners and just how dangerous and difficult their job was. There are also a lot of great characters in the book that are well developed and interesting.

The main problem I had with the
Mary
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in this series is as good as the first. Loving this world and cast of characters. Bring on book three.
Lynette
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Well-researched, but kind of boring. However, I didn't realize it was a sequel, and I can say that there is no need to have read the first book in order to know what happens in this one.
Jennifer Joyce
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are quite a few characters to get your head around in Ravenscliffe, from Eve, Anna and their children to the people of Netherwood Hall, both upstairs and downstairs, plus the other residents of Netherwood. But soon the characters (and their varied stories) were fully formed in my head and I had no problems keeping up. I was so absorbed with the lives of the inhabitants of Netherwood and they were so real and vivid it was like watching a costume drama in my head.

There are many fantastic
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Another fab book by Jane Sanderson, continuing after Netherwood. The plight of the 'haves' and the 'have nots' continues with Eve and Anna moving to Ravenscliffe with their families. Not only does the book have some great characters, it also has a real sense of time and struggle. I learnt about miner's rights, the burgeoning of women's rights, Eve's successful business and was entertained. I look forward to the installment.
Bookworm
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like the first one, didn't feel this one improved either. Out of curiosity (and because I bought this one too) I decided to go ahead and plow through the sequel to 'Netherwood'). I was grudgingly invested enough that I was curious to know what happened, since it was clear from the first book that it was a multi-book story.

It appears to be pretty much the same quality of the first book. It takes up pretty much where the first book left off although we've got some advancement of the plot.
Lisa
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It’s a while since I read Netherwood but that didn’t detract from the enjoyment. It isn’t heavy on detail but is well researched enabling readers to “learn” the details through the characters and thoughts of the time. Here we have both upstairs and downstairs dealing with life and everyday mis -haps. The return of Eve’s brother Silus brings with it a new dimension and maybe not all together good one for the locals.

At a time of change this book will take you on a journey.
Robin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first!

I am so happy to have found this author. This is the second book in this series and it is even better than the first. If you enjoy Downton Abby type stories you will like this series.
Amy Troiano
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great sequel to the first one!
Liz
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this continuation of the Netherwood story.
Nancy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, now I'm hooked and have to read #3. These are well-written, but light, books. Good story about upstairs/downstairs at an English estate.
Kirsty
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Ravenscliffe is the standalone sequel to Jane Sanderson’s debut novel Netherwood. The novel has been publicised as ‘perfect for readers of Kate Morton and Rachel Hore, as well as fans of period dramas like Downton Abbey’.

Ravenscliffe opens in Yorkshire in 1904, in a small town named Netherwood. The story begins with a very well written description of the mining town, with its ‘spiteful, unruly gangs of hawthorn’ and its three major collieries. The main protagonists of the novel, Anna Rabinovich
Angela Wilson
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Rather like Downton Abbey but set in a mining community in Yorkshire. It mixes the upper and lower classes. It is the start of the trade unions with all the changes it brings to society.
Melanie
My favorite part of this book was the relationship between Eve and Anna. Their friendship sustained each other through some rough times. I wasn't a fan of Eve's brother, Silas, but I did enjoy his role in helping Eve and Anna secure Ravenscliffe.

Eve's business is booming and she is engaged to be married, which hasn't made her relationship with her son, Seth, any easier. On his twelfth birthday, he signs up to work at the mine since he thinks that's what his father would want him to do. Eve is
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ravenscliffe is the follow-up novel to Netherwood and is set in Yorkshire in 1904. I loved Netherwood and was excited to read the sequel right away. Eve Williams has created a successful business with her great cooking and enterprising nature. Her friend, Russian immigrant Anna, has helped her to pursue her dreams. Anna takes them a step farther by finding her a perfect Victorian Villa in the common, Ravenscliffe. Eve’s returning brother Silas helps her to procure the Villa and Anna sets to work ...more
Michelle
I won a copy of Ravenscliffe from a firstreads giveaway.

The novel follows Eve Williams, and her friend Anna Rabinovich through (I think) a little over a year in their Yorkshire town. I didn't realize until I was about halfway in that this was actually the second book in a series about Eve Williams. There are clearly plans for a third book, as well.

This book is set in Edwardian Yorkshire--mining country and also follows the Earl of Netherwood and his family, as well as their servants. It was
Becky
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eve's business venture is doing wonderfully with the new cafe up and running and orders as far as London. Even the king has taken notice and plans a trip to visit Netherwood, insistent on having Eve's Yorkshire puddings while he's there. Of course this means everyone at the Netherwood estate is all in a tizzy as Clarissa plans renovations and redecorating in honor of the visit. Meanwhile, Tobias has his heart set on a woman mom is none to pleased about. The earl approves, though, so it's just a ...more
Tia Bach
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars

Instead of summarizing the story, since it's so eloquently done above, I'll begin with my thoughts. Like Netherwood, Eve Williams #1, this novel is intricately detailed and beautifully written. Not for a moment did I doubt the author's commitment to authenticity.

For me, complex characters are the heart of a great read, and there's no shortage of them here. Eve is the center of both stories--she's found new love after great loss, but she's still struggling. Her relationship with
Alethea
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edwardian
As I felt that NETHERFIELD concluded too speedily, I was happy to discover that a sequel existed to carry on the story lines that had not been satisfactorily fleshed out at the end of the first novel. This book picked up where the first left off. Eve and Daniel are set to marry; Amos and Anna have a sparking romance; Seth is still in a sour mood after the death of his father. Ravenscliffe is the name of the larger home into which Anna and Eve move after the incredible success of Eve's Puddings ...more
Maryanne
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this book - I chose it as a contrast to my usual diet of YA dystopias - Glitch, Divergent and so on.

This story of miners, mine disasters and culture in Edwardian Yorkshire is well executed and really something different.

Sanderson's voice grabs you from the beginning of each chapter and the characters are compelling - stronger and more individual than I expected. The standouts are several strong female characters with a diverse range of challenges
Becky
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
They advertise it is 'like Downton Abby.' Well maybe the setting is, but the storyline - not at all. I felt like I was reading day to day happenings in the lives of the people, but that was it. There was no real plot driving a story, nothing enticing me to read on, no interesting twists, no linking story lines unexpectedly. Chapter to chapter jumped radically and made it hard for me to follow and really get to know the characters. I did not read the first book and that may have helped with the ...more
Larinda Agee
I am so excited to have received this as a part of the FirstReads program! I can't wait to receive it and begin! I will post a review asap!!

I have to admit that this is the first book by Jane Sanderson that I have read. Boy was I in for a surprise! I am impressed by this wonderfully told historical fiction novel that has many rich and intriguing characters! I am certain to go back and read the first book that accompanies this one and the many (hopefully) that follow.

The details contained
Katie
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked Netherwood, the first book in this series, enough to read this one. I liked this one pretty well too, although I thought parts of it dragged a bit and others were repetitive.

But what I hate, hate, HATE is when a book just stops. I assume there must be a third book in the works--either that, or my Kindle edition is missing the ending. Because this one went from a relatively important scene to NOTHING. No check-in with characters; not a hint of denouement. And that just bugs the crap out
Rosie Amber
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a historical novel set in Edwardian Yorkshire. It deals with mining and the political issues of the day. The vast gap between the aristocracy and the lower classes starts to crack under the influence of the children of Netherwood Hall. Toby marries the daughter of an American and his young wife invites Russian émigré, Anna, to decorate her rooms. Meanwhile, Eve's brother giddy with success from trading in bananas, plans to expand into luxury sea travel with the help of his new coal mine. ...more
Melinda
Sanderson gives us a memorable cast of lively characters, an engrossing plot mixed with snippets of regional humor. This entertaining Yorkshire epic is plentiful with historical details.

Although I enjoyed this novel, I felt there was nothing tethering me to the various characters emotionally. Yes the characters were interesting and captivating but they failed to exude warmth and empathy. Despite my minor issue I still enjoyed the book very much.
Marsella Johnson
I believe this is the second book concerning Netherwood, and I haven't read the first which is called "Netherwood". It is another Downton Abbey wannabe. Very well written and interesting but I find myself getting bored with the Edwardian era. This did a good job mixing the realities of labor issues in the mines vs. aristocracy, and the suffragist movement. Let's move on shall we though. Surely there are more interesting times to write about.
Heather
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I found the unfolding of the novel to be really strange. All of the characters seemed to have unnecessarily complicated back stories that begged more questions. It wasn't until I was three-quarters of the way through the book that I figured out it's a sequel of sorts, but I wasn't taken enough with the characters or the story to want to read the first one, so that gave me the excuse I needed to stop reading it. Whew!

• The Buttonmaker’s Daughter
  • Trials and Tribulations - The Robinswood Story Book 3
  • The Homecoming of Bubbles O'Leary: The Tour Series - Book 4
  • The Secret of Summerhayes
  • Christmas at the Waratah Inn
  • Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #6)
  • The Star and the Shamrock
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • The Summer Country
  • Mushaf / مصحف
  • The Things We Cherished
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • Trouble the Water
  • An Elephant in My Kitchen
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Sisters of Willow House (Sandy Cove #2)
  • The Gracelin O'Malley Trilogy: Gracelin O’Malley, Leaving Ireland, and ’Til Morning Light
  • A View Across the Rooftops
Jane Sanderson was born in South Yorkshire in 1962. She studied English at Leicester University, then after graduating she became a journalist. After a series of jobs with local newspapers she joined the BBC where she worked as a producer for Radio 4, first on the World at One, and then on Woman's Hour. She lives with her husband, the Independent journalist and author Brian Viner, and their three ...more

Eve Williams (3 books)
  • Netherwood (Eve Williams, #1)
  • Eden Falls