Start by marking “Casablanca: The complete script and legend behind the film” as Want to Read:
Casablanca: The complete script and legend behind the film

Casablanca: The complete script and legend behind the film

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  306 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Released in December 1942, Casablanca is the classic of all classic films, the enduring triumph of Hollywood's golden age. This volume contains the complete screenplay as well as a behind-the-scenes look at how the Oscar-winning movie was made, by one of its writers, Howard Koch. Charles Champlin, Roger Ebert, Umberto Eco, and others contribute incisive analyses of the mov ...more
Hardcover
Published 1983 by The Overlook Press (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Casablanca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casablanca

Jaclyn
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a university must-read/watch. My rating and likeness for this screenplay may be affected by it being the first screenplay I ever read and analyzed.
Connor Reed
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest scripts of all time. The writing in this is utterly brilliant and something that every screenwriter should read. The nail-biting story behind it is fascinating and adds to the impressiveness of the wit and depth behind it. Although the last section of the book is basically Koch complaining about how modern movies are made and that we shouldn't have auteurs. His ramblings take away from the overall flow of the book and leave the end with bad taste.
Nhi Nguyễn
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first few pages that I read, I knew that I would give this book a 5-star rating, and it turns out I was right!

This book has everything that I love and long to read in a media-tie-in/book about movies. Along with all the beautiful words written about the movie, including the deep, heartfelt analytic reviews from the top-notch movie critics about the story in "Casablanca" and its intriguing web of interesting characters, are the breathtaking pictures that remind me of a beautiful, gloriou
Susan
Stunning.

I suppose if I read the script again I could see faults, and I suppose in some ways I can see faults with it already. But to be honest the overall story, the ultimate sacrifice of Rick makes up for everything, the telling of the love seems so true and honest that to be honest (haha) it sweeps the story up and you can't see anything wrong with the script at all.

I would love to see the film now. I almost never cry or get emotional reading scripts or books (aside from Charlottes web, get
Pradeep Badatiya
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic in truest sense of the word Casablanca has rightly earned its name. A poignant tale of love, heartbreak, sacrifice and redemption set during World War-II in Morocco where refugees fleeing Hitler's Europe land in to escape abroad.
Tiaki
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Μy favourite movie...and one of the best love stories evah!!
Sneh Pradhan
Timeless classic as it is , I have always found war stories riveting and poignant and more so, those with the Nazi occupations as background ....
Wendy
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read as part or Robert McKee's story seminar. Amazingly timeless.
A.J.
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first screenplay I've read, and it was an interesting experience, never having thought much about camera angles and the like before. And it's such a great story.
  • Memento & Following
  • The Citizen Kane Book
  • Hollywood Gothic: The Tangled Web of Dracula from Novel to Stage to Screen
  • Skywalking: The Life And Films of George Lucas
  • Memo from David O. Selznick
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934
  • The Lost One: A Life of Peter Lorre
  • The Godfather Legacy: The Untold Story of the Making of the Classic Godfather Trilogy Featuring Never-Before-Published Production Stills
  • Frankenstein's Womb
  • Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies
  • Rosebud: The Story of Orson Welles
  • The Great Movies II
Howard E. Koch was an American playwright and screenwriter who was blacklisted by the Hollywood movie studio bosses in the 1950s.
More about Howard Koch...