Start by marking “Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson Mystery #2)

Read Book* *Different edition

Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson Mystery #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  558 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
More in the acclaimed Reed Ferguson mystery series!

Lights! Camera! Reed!

That's right - Reed Ferguson, the intrepid hero of This Doesn't Happen In The Movies, is back.

A mysterious death.
A brother searching for the truth.
A devious ex-wife.
Real estate shenanigans.
More danger for Reed than a film noir plot.

Reed Ferguson's second adventure is again filled with film noir and a l
Published (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Reel Estate Rip-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reel Estate Rip-Off

Kevin Mclauchlan
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently reading "The Maltese Felon", taking Pawlish's Reed Ferguson series in order, which means that I read "This Doesn't Happen in the Movies" and enjoyed it enough to read "Reel Estate Rip-Off", which I enjoyed enough to... well, you get the idea.

Pretty good.

Reed Ferguson is not quite Kinsey Millhone, yet, but he's growing. The tone is generally light (well, as light as a murder mystery can be) but Pawlish doesn't overdo it. It's not laugh-out-loud funny, in the manner of Janet Evanov
Laura Thomas
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reed was ready to start the weekend. Hang with his buddies and relax.
His plans changed when Jack Healy introduced himself. He wanted to hire Reed to find his brother's killer or killers.
Reed's response is, "I'll take it."
There are the usual questions:
Why would anyone want to kill his brother?
Did he have any enemies?
What's up with the ex-wife?
Any trouble with the law?

The cast of characters:
The Goofball brothers Ace and Deuce. They are the comic relief and add seasoning and laughs to the story.
Cal
Kathleen Rowland
Reed Ferguson is an engaging amateur detective. Talented writer Renee Pawlish gives THE REEL ESTATE RIP-OFF a Hitchcock twist, making the reader think Reed might have something terrible up his sleeve. There were fascinating story threads, and Pawlish tied everything together with a great conclusion.

Janet C.
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
What a fun, relaxing, kick-back book to read! I love the way this author develops the characters and the story. Reed is on the trail again! A secret passage, movie memorabilia, and his friends (particularily the Goofball Brothers) make for a fun and zany read.
Maya Shenoi
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just awesome.
Beverly
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Renee Pawlish's Reed Ferguson. His idol is Humphrey Bogart, so he's decided to be a private detective just like him in The Maltese Falcon. He has a gun but doesn't carry it, as he's not very proficient with it. His neighbors, Ace and Deuce Smith, who he calls the Goofball Brothers, aren't very bright, but they help him out now and again with stakeouts. Winnie, an emergency room nurse, lives across the street. She likes him but is leery of getting involved because he has a tendency to get ...more
Nina
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would classify this as amusing and mindless airplane reading. Second in a series, of which I did not read the first, but it wasn't necessary to quickly catch up on the lead character. The protagonist, a Denver private investigator with a passion for all things film noir, uses his arcane knowledge of movie memorabilia to solve a murder case (and to prove it was murder and not an accident in the first place). He is assisted by his best friend, a computer genius (all modern mysteries require such ...more
Donna Dolf
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detective story and movie noir

I really like the Reed Ferguson detective stories. Reed is hired to figure out if his client's brother was murdered. He stirs up trouble with his questions until the murderer tells him the whole story, on video no less. The movie memorabilia described on the way adds an interesting facet to the story. The goofball brothers are funny. A good little mystery.
Shayla Markham
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Reed Ferguson Mystery Novel Readers Won't Want to Put Down!

Renee Pawlish puts detective Reed Ferguson into a compelling real estate mystery when his friend's realtor brother turns up dead , found over a cliff from an apparent accident. But, the deceased was known to hate both bicycling and heights! Mix in great characters, humor, plenty of puzzles that twist and turn, and fascinating history about Hollywood celebs and memorabilia!! A great read!!
Laurie Hanan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun case with one of my favorite private eyes, Reed Ferguson. A baffling mystery, plenty of suspense, some rough-and-tumble, but no graphic violence, sex, or swearing. Just loads of good clean fun with a satisfying ending.
Liz Warwick
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. Flowed well and had me wincing and smiling along with our hero.

A lovely read. Good old fashioned whodunnit beautifully written and well crafted. Read it. You know you want to. Am off to find the next book: 'The Maltese Felon' I believe.
John
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I accidentally read this book in the series before I read Book #1. As a result, I found it a bit hard to 'get a grip' on the main character. I may need to return to this review once I've read the first book.

Reasonably good story though.
LeAnne
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading the Reed Ferguson series. I've read several. Good, likeable characters. Private Eye detective film noir type stories. Reed is a big 1940's movie buff, especially Bogart. I recommend this series.
Patty
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read, funny circumstances, I recommend it to anyone who likes Ivanovich style mysteries.
Mary Ann
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
too boring to finish.
Dwight Burgess
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical Reed Ferguson book.

Good color and descriptions of the area. Also good background on Hollywood old movies and actors, especially the oscar awards
Grandma Mush
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Generally ok.
daisy riddle
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good read!

I really enjoyed this story about a private detective. It is well written with a good plot and plenty of action!
Leslie Ferrari
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute cozy mystery, particularly if you like old detective movies. Not difficult to figure out, but a cute read.
Newsfoia
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good story and characters

An interesting mystery, good prose, nice "buddy" people. It will be good to get to know the characters through future cases.
Michelle
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good book

You people should just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself. I really enjoyed reading this book very much so.Shelley MA
Bernice
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a regular formula mystery. Light reading. If you like these stories this is a decent one. Nothing to discuss.
Debbie
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting plot

I liked the characters by this author. The storyline was interesting and kept me hooked. I could not figure out the ending. Worth the read.
fiona kane
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not the best.

I only read this because it was free i won't be reading anymore in the series as the book didn't hook me into reading anymore unfortunately.
Byron Wells
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Note: This review is my opinion, and it is skewed to my likes and preferences.

I have chosen to give this book a rating of (3.75 / 5) for a few reasons:

1. Personally I found the story a bit predictable – however, it was still entertaining to read since you didn’t have to follow a ton of convoluted threads…

2. I found it reminded of the old dime store detective novels, or the old detective movies - don’t get me wrong, some like that style of books or maybe that was the intent all along.

Characters -
Aaron Dubin
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. Reed Ferguson is one of the best characters I have come across is years. I am ranking him near Spenser, Mike Hammer & Kinsey Milhone. Which is saying a lot.

I did have some minor issues with characters. I almost cannot believe that "The Brothers" in 2013 in a major city can really be this dense and out of touch with basic American Life. One I could believe, but both, I am reaching there and it takes me out of the story some. I am also thinking it's about time t
Ben
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Reel Estate Rip Off" by Renee Pawlish is the second in her Reed Ferguson, private detective series.
If you are not a fan of the hard-boiled mystery genre, then the Reed Ferguson series is for you. In this book as in the first, you will find nothing objectionable, no sex and only a bit of not too violent violence.
MS. Pawlis's oeuvre, to use a fancy term beloved by movie critics everywhere, is that her hero is a film noir and lover of mystery movies from Hollywood's golden years of the 30's and 40
Bill
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here’s a guy like you or me – a detective yet! – OK he’s had some experience detecting – or maybe he just got lucky – and now he’s been hired by a dead man’s brother to find out who killed him.

PROBLEM? The brother’s death was ruled accidental.

WHY? He was riding his bike along a scary mountain path – one of those with a sheer cliff on one side – and over he went!

AND YET? His brother claims his dead brother hated riding bikes and was scared of high places….

ENTER: Reed Ferguson, a guy who decided t
Shannon
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. We check in with Reed Ferguson, a fledgling private detective. He is tasked with investigating a death that was ruled a suicide. The brother thinks it was murder. And so another adventure begins. The plot held my attention through to the end. The characters are well written. We have a beautiful and not so nice suspect. Reed' s beautiful neighbor, Willie. The computer master, Cal and the Goofball Brothers. There is a nice mix of action, mystery and humor. I will read ...more
Randy
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I like about PI Reed Ferguson is his cheerfully admitting his inexperience at the job. He works hard at it, just as hard as he does his passions. A film buff, specifically early noir and Humphrey Bogart. Not to mention mystery books and related memorabilia.

The case he's on is investigating a man's accidental death while bicycling in the mountains for his brother. The brother says he didn't like bicycling or the mountains.

There's also a life insurance policy with the several years ex-wife li
Making Connections: 164. REEL ESTAE RIP-OFF by Renee Pawlish 21 40 Jun 10, 2012 12:56AM
  • From Mangia to Murder
  • Finding Chloe (The Leah Ryan Thrillers #2)
  • Chill Run
  • Midnight Reflections
  • The God Decrees
  • The War Planners: Episode 1 (The War Planners Episode #1)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • Dark Side of Sunset Pointe (Lance Underphal Mystery #1)
  • Foreign Enemies And Traitors (The Enemies Trilogy, #3)
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Do not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel #2)
  • Time of Death
  • Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3)
  • The Zen Man
  • Conundrum
  • The Valhalla Exchange
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Jack in a Box (Hunt for Reacher, #2)
From the time she was ten and tried to write her own detective series in the fashion of the Hardy Boys, Renée Pawlish has been developing her craft. Along with creative writing classes, Renée studied great writers like Dashiell Hammett, Rex Stout, Stephen King, Sue Grafton and many more. Once Renée graduated from college, she began her first novel. Now, all these years later, she has penned numero ...more
More about Renee Pawlish...

Reed Ferguson Mystery (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)
  • The Maltese Felon (Reed Ferguson #3)
  • Farewell, My Deuce (Reed Ferguson Mystery #4)
  • Out of the Past (Reed Ferguson #5)
  • Torch Scene (Reed Ferguson Mystery #6)
  • The Lady Who Sang High (Reed Ferguson #7)
  • Sweet Smell of Sucrets (Reed Ferguson Mystery #8)
  • The Third Fan (Reed Ferguson Mystery #9)
  • Back Story (Reed Ferguson Mystery #10)
  • Night of the Hunted (Reed Ferguson #11)