Start by marking “The One Minute Teacher” as Want to Read:
The One Minute Teacher

The One Minute Teacher

This invaluable book shows how teachers, despite the many difficulties they face in today's school systems, can make an important contribution to their students' lives and educations. Johnson and Johnson describe how the use of Goal Setting, Praising, and Recovery reinforces self-esteem and creates a new kind of learning process that will become life long.

The One Minute T
Published August 31st 1988 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The One Minute Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Minute Teacher

Start your review of The One Minute Teacher
Julie
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book had some amazing ideas that really make sense. I have so many quotes that I want to plaster all over my wall so I cam remember to stay focused on becoming who I want to be. The only way to reach goals is to continually remind yourself what your goal is and keep going on that path. This is a must read for anyone who wants to learn how to accomplish anything.
Natasha
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: goal oriented people
Recommended to Natasha by: GWC 5 Pillar
Shelves: education
The primary element of "The One Minute Teacher" is achieving goals. The purpose of traveling life’s highway is fulfilling our mission. The destination we desire to reach gives both aim and impetus in our journey. The authors wrote, “Doing it is the key. It is only when we use One Minute Goals that we begin to learn what we want to teach ourselves. Then we start to feel a change and finally to see a change.” (p. 23)

Have you ever taken a wrong turn that dumped you into a dead-end, nose-to-nose wi
Nikhilesh
One of those self help books that, for me, feel really intense reading and studying it, and a year later leave zero impression whatsoever.
Andrea
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to change something about their life
This book is quite cheesy but underneath the cheese is a real idea that rings true. I took extensive notes and I'm trying it out right now to improve my overall daily attitude (which is usually negative). The One Minute Principles are 1. Setting One Minute Goals, 2. Giving One Minute Praisings and 3. Using One Minute Recoveries. An example from the book of a One Minute Goal is:

"On Friday I [earn] a B on the math test. I study my math and quiz myself every night. I listen in class and ask questio
Surya Teja
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This book helps a lot to learn about achieving goals. Looks like we know a lot what is told in the book. We just ignore them without even knowing it. As it was told in a book "feeling good for no good reason" we become very good at having low self esteem that the negative feeling happen even without us knowing it.
The way the message was delivered was very simple and can be understood easily.
There are examples of people who want something and we find that most of us had the same goal at one point
Kiri
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mpl, teaching
This book contains several good messages, expressed in very simple language. The font is large and the book is short, so you can absorb the key ideas quickly. For me they were:
* We are all students and teachers.
* We are our own best teachers, since we harness our own motivation.

The One-Minute method (in my words):
* Express goals as statements of desired reality, along with how it will make you feel. Keep it short.
Review this goal several times a day.
* Praise yourself as you make positive steps
Keryn
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
This book has been described as 'cheesy' but the messages are simple and powerful, as are the messages in most of the one-minute books, and 'Who moved my cheese?'. I found the three techniques to be valuable and practical, immediately implementable, easy to remember. Certainly I recommend this book to all educators, especially those seeking motivation. Readable in one sitting, it is well worth the time spent. The main flaw for me is the examples/anecdotes, which I found to be few and less releva ...more
Lacey
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was not as revolutionary as it seems to suggest. It was a good reminder however that written and often reviewed goals are more likely to be achieved; frequent positive praisings are more effective than negative critism; and lastly, when your behavior doesn't match your goals, stop and correct it immediately. The twist of this teaching book is that you can only work on yourself--by doing this, others will be influenced by you.
Hany
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
a self help book in a novel shape

the book is meant to the teachers in first place. but as the book said everyone of us is a student and teacher too and that's what makes the book helpful and incentive for all.

the book is about how to teach yourself to gain anything in life and learn other teach themselves as well through 3 steps

one minute goal
one minute praise
one minute recovery

the book is amazing and simple
`Alia
Jul 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers or Students
Overall I found this book useful but not always practical. I did pick up some helpful time management tactics from it for both my students and myself. Some parts I had to modify to comply with Islamic beliefs. For example one of the steps in the book is to follow a one-minute praise routine, of basically praising yourself before and after you do something. I modified it to praising Allah..
Amy
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people looking for direction
Recommended to Amy by: TJED list
This self-proclaimed "parable" is the quintessential book on self-affirmation. This is the first "one minute" book I've read and it is exactly what you' expect at a pep-talk type business seminar. I'm all for the idea of self-esteem and learning from mistakes so the message is good here, it's the delivery that isn't my style.
Deanna
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Olivia
Recommended to Deanna by: 5 Pillars Book List
I read this to my husband when we went on a recent trip. We had a great discussion about it. Being home educators it was another great resource to pull from for us. We like the ideas of helping our children set goals, teaching them how to praise themselves and how to get back on course when they have veered off. Like I said, lots of great discussion.
Rebecca
This was a great book to give teaching a whole new way of thought. Instead of just teaching material it involved the importance of teaching a student to teach themselves. This book discusses one minute goals, one minute praisings and one minute recoveries.Principles taught through this book may be applied to all avenues of life. A good book to use to refocus when teaching gets discouraging.
Barun Kalani
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. This book elaborates on the principles of the one minute manager and adopts them into one minute teaching. It's a good book, they first introduce the concept, then elaborate on it and then tell why it works, just like in the one minute manager. The teachings in this book will change your life.
Mary
Apr 17, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
It was okay. I attended a teacher session based on this book at one of our workshops, but the presentation turned out to be much more enlightening than the book itself. Some good parts to be considered, and at least it was a short book.
Matthew Forzan
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book detailing tricks and techniques on training/teaching. Very similar to the other "one minute" series with the main difference being the story told from a teachers POV as opposed to a businessman.
Carlashi
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a book very easy to read and understand which I think makes it effective on its purpose of teaching an individual to be his or her best teacher to himself or herself. I believe I didn't waste my time reading it.
Kylea Woodley
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a cool book. I enjoy vintage education pieces. Today, the book could have been condensed to one page in a best practices book. At the time though, it may have been groundbreaking. My favorite take away was to get a report card from students. Cute idea.
Dominique Liongson
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three one-minute techniques that help readers teach themselves almost anything. I read it, I love it!

This third week of October 2019, I finally wrote 7 goals based on the instructions of One Minute Goals in this book. Next application would either be One Minute Praisings or One Minute Recoveries.
Apr 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-pillar
This is deceptively simple idea but it really resonated with me. I'm trying the system out now and it's been good. I'll see how I feel about it after a few weeks of working at it.
Tani
May 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book had some great concepts that were new to me. Although, I didn't care for the way it was written.
Misty Lynne
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A simple method for setting goals and changing your life. I loved this book! It was a great reminder of methods I have already discovered on my own but have not perfected by any means.
Celeste Batchelor
This is a short read, but a very good way to teach goal setting in a simple, concise way. I made several notes on this method of goal setting.
Leesa
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Very cool and interesting techniques everyone should try.
Michael
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Teaching is a little complicated than the process this book uses. Some teachers could definitely benefit from this book if they would use it.
Zoe
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Ok, I will admit that in the beginning this book irritated me. However, if you can get past the over simplistic way it is written, there are some real gems here.
Alison
May 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this book for school and it was short and easy to read. It is about little tricks to teach ourselves. I probably won't read it again but it was alright.
Kathryn Mckendry
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Very simple ideas to change the way we teach.
April N
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-52-in-52
Not my favorite read. Very confusing at times trying to keep up with the third person narrative used. This book has very good and valid points but they are lost in the strange narrative.
Visalam
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A must-read for all the teachers.

• Which is p and Which is q?: (Children’s Books – Picture Books for Kids – Story Books for Children – Beginner Book for Children – Age 3-7)
  • Crushing: It's Not the End!
  • The Mental Toughness Advantage: A 5-Step Program to Boost Your Resilience and Reach Your Goals
  • Turning Pro
  • Summary: Can't Hurt Me - Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins
  • The Life You Save May Be Your Own
  • The Rainbow People
  • Asking For It
  • Relationship Goals: How to Win at Dating, Marriage, and Sex
  • Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #24)
  • The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (D.O.D.O. #1)
  • 100 Truths You Will Learn Too Late
  • Dark Tales
  • Diaries 1969-1979: The Python Years  (Palin Diaries, #1)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • Rather Be the Devil (Inspector Rebus, #21)
  • The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda, #1)
  • No Uncertain Terms: More Writing from the Popular "On Language" Column in The New York Times Magazine

Spencer Johnson, M.D. left behind a medical career to write short books about life. The most famous was “Who Moved My Cheese?" published in 1998. The book became a publishing phenomenon and a workplace manual. Over 50 million copies of Spencer Johnson’s books are in use worldwide in 47 languages.

Dr. Johnson's