Start by marking “Zoe Gets Ready” as Want to Read:
Zoe Gets Ready

Zoe Gets Ready

A story where getting dressed inspires big dreams!

Published May 1st 2012 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Zoe Gets Ready, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoe Gets Ready

Start your review of Zoe Gets Ready
Heather
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think of my 2 yr old grand-daughter every time I read this book. She LOVES to dress in princess, fairy, magical and often mismatched outfits! My son worries that she will never outgrow this phase. But I love her imagination and free spirit. Most days she will need to conform to what is appropriate for school, church, extracurricular activites, etc. But when she has a free day to express her personality, I love seeing her happy and imaginative personality shine through in her outfit of choice!!
Caleb Wikman
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edtp-245
This is a great book focusing on one of the first freedoms bestowed to child when growing up. Normally clothes are picked out for Zoe, however Saturday has finally arrived and it is time for her to choose her own combination of clothing. She examines all the possible adventures to go on, then eventually picking out a butterfly costume.
Angela
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
With only one day a week to pick out her own outfit, how can Zoe choose between a pocket-day pinafore, whirly twirly skirt and ALL the other apparel options? Who knows what the day will bring and what Zoe will need to be wearing?
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every day somebody tells Zoe what to wear, except on Saturday when Zoe gets to choose her own clothes. By then there are so many things she wants to do and wear it makes it hard to pick just one outfit. Very cute story with fun illustrations.
Haley Burks
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This books mirrors myself when I was little. When I was old enough to pick out my own outfits, I could never decide. I wanted an outfit, like Zoe did, that would be flexible for any activity. This book was a fun read.
Zoey Emma
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute little read that all kids can enjoy. I read this as part of my reading challenge (a book with a character with your first name) and this one was too adorable to pass up.
4 out of 5 stars!
Ally Lindley
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I enjoyed the point of view of the child and I found it amusing as an adult that this is the toughest decision she has to make one day a week.
Arissa
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute story! Target audience preschool to first grade.
Beverly
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

20120725-072710.jpg

FTC Disclosure: I received a finished copy of this book from the Amazon Vine Program in exchange for an honest review.

Zoe Gets Ready by Bethanie Deeney Murguia

Summary from the left inside book cover flap: " Each day is full of possibilities, and Zoe wants to be ready for every one!  Should it be a pocket day?  Or a cartwheeling day?  A blend-in day?  Or a stand-out day?  One thing's for sure:  If Zoe's involved, it will be a fun day!

What I liked about the book:  There are many things I l
Nancy
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book just by the cover alone. You cannot tell by a picture on a computer screen, but the true cover is all sparkly and embossed. It sets the stage for the many facets of little Zoe. A little girl whose weekday outfits are picked by others, but on Saturdays, glorious Saturdays, Zoe gets to do the picking.

Here in lies the dilemma, is this Saturday going to be a pocket day where you need to bring home treasures or a cartwheel day where your toes can touch the sky. Or a ble
Arminzerella
It’s Saturday and it’s Zoe’s day to pick out what she wants to wear (instead of having to wear what other people choose for her). But she’s having trouble deciding. What kind of day is it going to be, and how does she want to spend it? One must, after all, be prepared for anything (and everything). After her mother calls her for the last time, Zoe knows exactly what to do. Dressed in pretty much everything, she exits her room, ready for the day’s adventures.

I am a sucker for a glittery cover and
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
What a fabulous children's book. My daughter and I really enjoyed reading this one. Not only was the story engaging for her, but it's one she related to. Zoe and my daughter seemed to have a lot in common, as like Zoe my daughter really enjoys trying on various outfits through out the day, and has a hard time trying to decide which outfit is perfect for the day's activities. In the story, each outfit Zoe chooses/tries on goes along with what she wants to do that day. She tries on several outfits ...more
Sab H.  (YA Bliss)
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Zoe gets to pick her outfit only on Saturdays, so today she can't decide and must do so quickly (with no mess) before her mom calls her again.

This book is very relatable for little girls 3-7 years old, it's an experience they've all been through. The illustrations are soft, pastel-tone colorful and gorgeous. The text is simple and short, and the font, while fun-looking, is still readable if they're already beginning readers. My daughter read it herself with a little help. It has fun expressions
Susan Kennedy
Feb 08, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anchor-books, writing
From Melanie Swider

Since many of our classes are beginning or in the middle of fictional/narrative writing units, I loved Zoe Gets Ready by Bethanie Murguia. An important lesson for young writers is that writing topics exist in their world within the daily moments, struggles, and decisions of their days. Since thinking of stories can be so difficult for young writers, Zoe's challenge with deciding what to wear could really be inspiring to many students--such a simple, but common, problem that ch
The Library Lady
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The sparkly cover made me think "Ugh--Fancy Nancy wannabe!"
However--thanks be--Zoe is no Nancy. Despite that cover, Zoe's closet is full of all kinds of clothes including short and hiking boots and she explores her options, sometimes in couplets, sometimes in single lines. This makes the text a bit uneven, but whether couplets of single lines,it has a nice swing.
A great choice for little girls who know that fabulousness doesn't have to include glitter, la-di-da or fake French. On the down side
Peggy Tibbetts
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s Saturday and Zoe gets to decide what she wants to wear. But her dilemma is not so much about the clothes she will wear as it is about what she wants to do that day. Will it be a pocket day? Or maybe she will be twirling, or cartwheeling, or exploring. Decisions, decisions, decisions. The surprising way she solves her problem will make young readers laugh. Murguia’s dazzling illustrations add another layer of humor to this story that makes this story a winner. "Zoe Gets Ready" shows girls an ...more
Savannah Wilson
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Zoe gets ready is a good book for younger readers. When I was reading it I thought that it would be perfect for a child who is just learning to dress themselves. It would also be good for a child who is just getting into the freedom of picking out their own clothes. The illustrations paired well with the story and helped to show what was happening. Even though it doesn't say much about siblings there is a little bit of sibling life throughout the book. Overall it was a good book, but I thought t ...more
Carissa
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Snaps for letting the girl wear anything she wants.

I wasn't aware that she had to get ready in a short time on Saturday, maybe if that had been clear her indecisiveness would have been more amusing. The mom could have said that they were going out somewhere fun that day and since it was Saturday she could wear whatever she wants. The interjections by the mom could all be: "Just pick something" "I'm getting your sister ready" "Okay, if you aren't out you can't go have fun with us" then the last o
Karen Burt
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Zoe is your average ordinary ready for everything kid. She loves twirling in a fancy dress, doing cart wheels or digging in the dirt. Whatever comes up Zoe wants to be ready for it so, she has the same dilemma every girl has, what to wear. Zoe finally comes up with the perfect solution. This book is fun and fanciful. The illustrations are colorful and defiantly bring the story to life and give it character. First and second grade kids will relate to Zoe and read this book over and over again.
Carla Glover
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Each day is full of possibilities, and Zoe wants to be ready for everything this one might bring. But that makes getting dressed really, really hard! If it's a twirling day, she'll need to wear the purple skirt. But if it's a cartwheeling day, she'll want the polka-dot tights. Or it might be a hiding day, perfect for the flower crown that will help her blend into the garden . . . or a flying day, which demands butterfly wings! As the clothes pile up and Mama tells her it's time to go, there's on ...more
Ashton
Feb 23, 2016 added it
This book has really good illustrations. Everything that is said in the book, they have a really good example for. So, in the classroom if the teacher reads the book and the students don't know what is being read they can look at the pictures. This book talks about what Zoe is going to wear on her Saturday. Her mom usually picks out her clothes so now it was her turn. I think that students can relate to that, because most parents pick out their clothes for school. Then when the weekend comes the ...more
Shelli
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday Zoe gets sent back to change into more "appropriate" clothes for school, soccer or any other activity her mother doesn't feel is is dressed properly for. Saturday FINALLY arrives and Zoe gets to choose her own style of dress for the day. But what kind of day is she going to have? A twirly swirly day? A cart wheel day? A blend in day or a stand out one? How can Zoe decide?? Fun read aloud that most girls can relate to.
Margaret Chind
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Amazon Vine
Very cute and appropriate for a preschooler that is started to take over her own wardrobe choices. As always you gotta love a sparkily cover. You can imagine how much fun an imaginative little girl can have with different outfits. This book is an open show of love from a mother to her daughters and I'm glad to be able to share it with mine.

Thanks to Amazon Vine for providing a copy for review.
Typed on Kindle Fire.

posted: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Samantha
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Certain clothing is needed for certain days or activities, but on weekends anything goes! Zoe thinks of all the adventures she might have and all of the clothing she would need for any possible adventure she may have and puts together a one of a kind outfit. Little girls will recognize all of Zoe's concerns and love Zoe's diverse wardrobe. Great read aloud! And I loved that Zoe was given a day to express her creativity and make a choice for herself.
James Leighton
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
A young girl finally get's to choose her own outfit for the day, but has a difficult time deciding what to wear. She tries on different types of clothes based on how she feels that day. Eventually, she decides to wear a little bit of each outfit.

I thought this was a good story with a clever plot. The character was interesting and seemed to represent a real girl of that age. The illustrations are bright and colorful.
Ariel
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is cute picture story book that shows how choosing the perfect outfit for the day is a very big deal for a child, and the main character Zoe wants to be prepared for any activity that she might participate in. I love that this book shows the inside of a kids mind as they pick out an outfit, and how at their age picking an outfit gives them a little piece of responsibility that they take very seriously! However, like Zoe says, no outfit is complete without a pair of fairy wings!
Alanna Burris
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is great for young girls who are beginning to decide their own outfits. They realize all the different options they have and think about all the adventures they could go on with the different outfits. It does a great job with comparing the story to the illustrations so they children could make the connection. The water color illustrations are very well done and have a great use of color.
Rochelle Sondae
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sparkly glitter cover. I'm pretty sure this book is based on nearly every girl out there. Zoe can't decide what to wear and envisions how her day will be based on her clothing choice. Unable to decide whether it will be a "pocket day" or a "twirling, dizzy, whirling day" Zoe opts to have a little bit of each... with WINGS!
Brenda
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"On school days, soccer days, and rainy days, someone else always chooses what Zoe will wear." "But today is Saturday, and that means Zoe gets to decide". The fun of the story is watching Zoe decide what kind of a day it is going to be based on each piece of clothing she puts on. The illustrations are bright and fun and Zoe's ultimate choice is really sweet.
Jen
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
At first I was worried that this was a book that would praise girly girls for picking sweet outfits and always looking CUTE. But no, many of the outfits were chosen for their versatility or functionality and in the end, the book gives girls the idea that they can do it all (which, we really can't do, but it's nice to be encouraging!).
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bloom
  • Enemy Pie
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Hair Love
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • Lubna and Pebble
  • Their Last Breath
  • Bear's New Friend
  • Graham Oakley's Magical Changes
  • Triangle
Bethanie Deeney Murguia earned an MFA in Illustration from the School of Visual Arts. Bethanie lives with her family and her forty pound lap dog, Thunder, in Sausalito, CA. She is the creator of numerous picture books, including Zoe Gets Ready, Cockatoo, Too, and The Too-Scary Story.

News & Interviews