Start by marking “The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids” as Want to Read:

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

Days like these are just right for finding mermaids.

Have you ever walked on the beach and loo
Published February 7th 2012 by Tanglewood

To ask other readers questions about The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids

oliviasbooks
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: Netgalley
Who doesn’t like mermaids? All right. A lot of people don’t. But maybe they cherish the idea of tiny folk leading their small but eventful lives unbeknownst to our big, clumsy unobservant selves in our direct vicinity. Maybe they also used to speculate if Jill Barklem was right and one simply had to look for fragile whisps of smoke curling skywards among the brambles or blinks of candle-light flickering in the many folds of an ancient oak tree’s bark to find a well-to-do family of mice living in ...more
Julie Barrett
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids by Ammi-Joan Paquette
ISBN: 9781933718590
Illustrated Colorful children book about how to track a mermaid on the sand at the beach
by their footprints. Also shows pictures of various things that can be found at the beach
where you might see a mermaid: tide pools, shells that resemble a mermaids comb or use it
as a necklace. Mermaids hide on each page according to what's being said so it's also a
puzzle type book for a child to locate the mermaids.
One shell in par
Pam Camel
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"On hot summer days, the beaches are packed with all kinds of people swimming, splashing, or lying in the sun. But there are other days—magical ones—when the beach is empty. Whoosh! The wind tosses up the sand in curling eddies. Kazoom! The waves cymbal-crash against the shore. Yes!

Days like these are just right for finding mermaids.

Have you ever walked on the beach and looked for shells or or clams? There are creatures, more like you and me, who are even more interesting to look for. Most peopl
Jen
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's so lovely to show up at a beach with no one else there, it feels like a new world you are exploring.
Originally posted at http://www.perogiesandgyoza.com/2012/...

That's what this book does well, makes you feel like you are exploring a whole new world above, below, and around the sea.

This is written like nonfiction picture book, with emphasis on descriptive phrases and new vocabulary, like curling eddies, tide pool, and long craggy finger. Photos accompany the introduction of beach life, like
Carol
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This fanciful picture book shows a couple of young children exploring the beach, looking in every possible place for the magical and wonderful mermaids. They discover a lot about the sea and the shore in their adventures, but do they ever find the elusive fish-tailed beauties? The charming illustrations are a mix of photographs of the children and cute illustrations of the mermaids and all of their possibilities. I know many young girls at my library that will adore this book.
Nadine
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lower-primary
#inquirer #curiosity
Ok, as a librarian who is reluctant on the topic of princesses and fairies and all things pink, this is a pretty good compromise that involves a little bit of inquiry and "habitat" investigation with the whole pink and pretty stuff.
Rosalie
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is a perfect "beach read" for the younger set. It has a perfect mix of fantasy and realia. I can't wait to read it at story time!
Brittany
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Needs more actual illustrations rather than just photos. Overall cute story, but the flow was a little bit odd. The kids seemed to enjoy it though. *It is a bit on the text-heavy side for a kids easy-reader.
Kelly
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Rock that Conch Shell!

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic copy of this book for review through NetGalley.)

I was six years old when Splash first came out; and, although I probably didn't get to watch it for a few more years, once I did I was officially hooked on mermaids. I used to swim around the pool with my legs mentally fused together, pretending that I was diving to depths much greater than our paltry four feet. I didn't get to go to the beach often - the nearest one prohibited sw
Marylou
I had fun reading this guide to find mermaids and would make a perfect gift for little girls!

50 Book ReviewsProfessional Reader80%Reviews Published2016 NetGalley ChallengeChallenge Participant
Sharon Tyler
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids is a picturebook written by Ammi-Joan Paquette and illustrated by Marie LeTourneau. This delightful book combines real photographs of a trip to the beach with paper cut outs of mermaids and a story of children having an adventure on the beach looking for the elusive beings. Nature facts about the beach and what can be seen there, a seek and find feel, and the fantastical search for mermaids come together in a lovely book.

Carla Johnson-Hicks
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, children
The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids is a picture book written by Ammi-Joan Paquette and illustrated by Marie LeTourneau. This book combines real photographs of a trip to the beach with paper cut outs of mermaids and other creatures. The story is about children who visit the beach on a day where there are not many people around to look for mermaids. They make sand mermaids (like snow angels), visit tide pools, watch crabs, collect shells etc. all with the idea of what the mermaids would do with ...more
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
This was not what I was expecting. I have not read other books in this series, but I assumed this would be a picture book based on the cover. I was partially correct. It's a combination of photographs and illustrations. Personally, I did not care for the combination. But, if a very small child was looking at the pictures, they might enjoy it. The illustrations were very cute and whimsical.

I noted this as an activity book, because it gives the impression of a beachy scavenger hunt. I would say t
Aleece
I was honestly very disappointed in this book. I was expecting a book about mermaids and while that is sort of the case here it was a little different. I did not care for the combination of real photographs and illustrations. Plus the photoshopped pictures really didn't fit well in some of the pages and left me feeling underwhelmed. The story itself was just ok but I don't know if it was the illustrations that were throwing me off.

I received this copy from Tanglewood through Netgalley in excha
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
The title and fun cover for this book caught my attention right away. A guide for children that teaches them how to track mermaids? I would have loved this as a child!

This one isn't a storybook the way the other titles are. It's designed to be a guide and combines real photography with illustrated images of mermaids. Children will feel that the mermaids really do exist and use the tricks in the book to look for them.

This book could serve as a fun activity guide when you need something to do on
TJ Burns
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable!

The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids is a perfect book for young mermaid lovers, like my daughter. Beautiful photographs, combined with adorable drawings, and supplemented by educational vocabulary, all come together to create a fantasy-filled, dream-like adventure, both above and below the surface!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rhonda
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Received copy from Netgalley for honest review. I liked the concept of using real pictures with animation drawn in. The story is cute and the real ocean life facts was fun! Kids will love this book! I enjoyed this book and the story and pictures were well done. Using the real life images will make kids imaginations go wild. I can see kids at the beach listening to conch shells and exploring to see if they can find mermaids. Read it with your kids!
Earicka
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Searching For Magical Mermaids

This was an adorable book full of whimsy and magic. I thought the mixed media made it very unique and endearing. I can totally see my kids reading this book. The only issue I can see is it did not really teach a lesson which most children's books do. I loved the photos especially the ones with the drawings added.

***This early reader is suitable for children just learning to read alone or to read to them as a fun bedtime story
Jay
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
every little girl will love this book! will be sure to have them searching the beach for mermaid treasures on their next visit.
cute & fun illustrations to go along with the fun story of trying to spy mermaids

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Shelli
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
If you have a girl girl with an large imagination this would be a good book for you. Tips and tricks on how to find those magical elusive mermaids of the sea.
Izza
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Will be coming back to write my review..
Jocelin
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Loved the the visuals of hand drawn artwork with photographs.
Paul  Hankins
Mixed media illustrations the employ vivid photography with whimsically-rendered mermaids present the story of a day at the beach and the possibility of perhaps finding a mermaid or two.
Best
Caprice
Jul 22, 2015
Coach D
Jun 05, 2017
Ammi-Joan Paquette has never met a ghost, mummy, monster, skeleton, or witch — as far as she knows. This book, she says, was inspired by a game she used to play with her sister: "Most of the details have been lost to time, but I still remember the shivery thrill I got when we played it. So, I drew on that same energy to write a spooky picture book, which eventually became A Ghost in the House." In ...more
More about Ammi-Joan Paquette...