Start by marking “iPhone: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
iPhone: The Missing Manual

iPhone: The Missing Manual

With the iOS5 software and the new iPhone 4S device, Apple has another world-class hit on its hands. This sleek, highly refined pocket computer comes with everything—cellphone, iPod, Internet, camcorder—except a printed manual. Fortunately, David Pogue is back with the latest edition of his witty, crystal-clear, colorful guide: the world's most popular iPhone book.

Use it a
Published December 29th 2011 by Pogue Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about iPhone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about iPhone

Cathy
Review of the 5th Edition: As usual, I learned a bunch of usrful tips from this book, even though I've been using iOS 5 for months. I really recommend that all iOS 5 and iPhone 4 and 4s users check this out, no matter how handy you are or how good at exploring the options of the phone on your own, you're sure to have missed a few of the most useful tricks. And it would be a great gift for a friend who isn't quite as good at trying everything on her or his own as well.
Ray S
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness, actual insight into my phone!
Al Maki
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techniques
Lots of useful information but if anybody associated with production of the book is listening, please pay attention to page numbers in indices. In the edition I read probably a quarter of them were wrong. This is a problem in a reference book.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Having just upgraded to an iphone 6, I was looking forward to learning the differences from my iphone 5 as well as picking up little tips along the way. The book is very comprehensive, covering nearly every aspect of iphone usage. As well, a great clickable index in the back and comprehensive troubleshooting section provide a one-stop reference for iphone ownership. The tone is friendly but my one complaint is that the g
Ursula Johnson
The Definite iPhone Guide Updated for 6, 6 Plus & iOS8

I love the Missing Manual series. I have several copies and always buy the new edition when a new iPhone comes out and the OS is updated. It doesn't matter if you already have an iPhone, are new to the OS or are wondering what the fuss is about or considering a switch. David Pogue writes with wit, these books are very funny, something you don't see in many computer manuals. They are also, full color, easy to read and understand and packed
Robin Hatcher
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: iPhone owners
The Missing Manual books are always my first choice for learning about new programs and devices.

I have been an iPhone owner since the first model. I read blogs all the time about technology. Still, I picked up quite a few tips about my iPhone 5S and iOS 7 as I went through this manual. If you have an iPhone 5, 5C, or 5S but are barely utilizing its features, I can highly recommend this book to you.
Rayna
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You probably could learn everything about your iPhone on your own, but it would take a while. Progue's manual is pretty thorough and easy to skim through. I found most of what I wanted to know was highlighted in easy to find yellow text boxes ie create free ringtones, find applications, full keyboard, dowloading contacts, synching etc.
Jeanne Boyarsky
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
I have an iPad so I'm not unfamiliar with the device. But getting my first iPhone, there was a lot I didn't know. I also got useful tips like how to get a scientific calculator to come up (flip phone 90 degrees). I also learned about pressing hard to get different options, about settings and more. Good read and fast way to get up to speed.
Kirsten
In general, I think this is an easy to read, very basic book on the iPhone. If you're totally clueless about how to use your new iPhone, it could be a lot of help.

I picked up one great tip (how to type punctuation with only one touch); other than that, I already had a good handle on the rest of the information.
Kathy
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice reference book. Granted, if you have played with your phone at all, some of this is pretty basic. What I like, however, is that not only is it informative, but it's written in a fun way to read with a bit of humor sprinkled in. Even for the techno-junkies out there you can probably find out how to do something in a way you haven't discovered yet.
Daynah
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book if you're an iPhone newbie. There are also some great tips and tricks if you're an iPhone veteran! With the new iPhone OS 3.0+ and iPhone 3Gs phones, there are hidden treasures everywhere. There are 17 chapters full of great information and screenshots. I highly recommend this book if you want to learn more about the iPhone.
Bozhidar
I picked up a few tricks from the book, but its target group seems to be mostly people with no experience with smartphones. Therefore I found the book quite bloated at some places, with less substance that I would have liked to see.
Sharon
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just learned an iPhone typing tip from the someone who has read this book. If you want to put a comma in, press and hold the 123 button and drag to the comma (or any character on that side) and when you release, it takes you back to the letters keyboard!
Gary Smith
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best tech-type manual I have ever read. Easy to understand. Presents useful information an easy to understand, but not simplified manner. The author should be hired by the IRS to write their instructions.
Jutta
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of info. Lots of great tips and pointers. I kept saying: "I did not know the iPhone could do that!" Highly recommend this book.
Brenda Boulanger
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Diana
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More for newbies - I knew almost all of these "tricks" just from using the device.
Gary
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful and thoughtfully put together.
Poem.gl
Jan 02, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hello
Hello
J
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eeeehh. Not wonderful, but okay. Nothing new. Nothing one couldn't figure out. It's a fine starter book. Explains the basic. If you had smartphones before, this will not curl your toes
Sandra
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been valuable to me in understanding how the iPhone actually works and in identifying really useful shortcuts. David Pogue is much better than other authors of how to books.
Cassie
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I certainly learned new things about my phone, and I've had my phone for over a year. This was a good informative manual.
Adrianne
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book of tips, especially for those of us who don't have time to figure out the quirks and possibilities serendipitously. ;-)
Naomi
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Helpful and written by someone with a sense of humor.
PWRL
Aug 20, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Elizabeth Germany
Great book even if you have previously owned an iPhone or three. Written in a very humorous tone, wish all tech manuals were this entertaining.
Doug Wells
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
It's a tech manual...Pogue's a good writer and it covers everything from the very basic, to the detailed.
Tony Taylor
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any iPhone user
Great starter book for any iPhone user
Sherrill
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera
  • The Geek Atlas
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Under the Big Top: A Season with the Circus
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Life Disrupted: Getting Real about Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Jimi: Sounds Like a Rainbow: a Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix
  • The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • Familyhood
  • Jet Set: The People, the Planes, the Glamour, and the Romance in Aviation's Glory Years

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

David Pogue, Yale '85, is the weekly personal-technology columnist for the New York Times and an Emmy award-winning tech correspondent for CBS News. His funny tech videos appear weekly on CNBC. And with 3 million books in print, he is also one of the world's bestselling how- to authors. He wrote or co-wrote seven books in the "For Dummies" series (including Macs, Magic, Opera, and Classical Music)