Start by marking “Kniha o Blanche a Marii” as Want to Read:
Kniha o Blanche a Marii

Kniha o Blanche a Marii

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  916 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Hailed internationally for his unique ability to shape historical facts into tales of extraordinary depth and probing insight, Per Olov Enquist has long been regarded as one of the world's foremost authors of literary fiction. In The Book about Blanche and Marie, Enquist has once again found inspiration from the historical record, this time exploring the fascinatingly comp ...more
Published 2007 by Host (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kniha o Blanche a Marii, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kniha o Blanche a Marii

Veronika
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frustratingly badly written book without any plot, intrigue or drama triangle whatsoever. The writing style is highly melodramatic and pathetic, which comes as a direct consequence of the author being overly enthusiastic about common topics. Per Olov Enquist can't even build characters, not just the story, therefore after reading the book one doesn't feel as if one has achieved anything or moved anywhere from page one.
It seems to me as if he's read a good historic novel, got overexcited about it
Zee
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychology grads, science enthusiasts, biography lovers, and those who dabble with magic
Shelves: european
This is the unusual story of Marie Curie and Blanche Wittman; two extraordinary women caught between the ordered mathematics of science and the symbolic alchemy of love. The novel deals with amputated emotions, the desire for detachment and its antithesis; a longing for reconnection. Set during the dawn of a new century; Enquist explores the questioning of the rational ‘Enlightenment’ period which nurtured cut and dry methods of modern science and the unfathomable, fledgling studies of psycholog ...more
Hymerka
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Hello, female children. Allow me to inspire you with a story about a great female scientist. Polish-born, French-educated Madame Curie. Co-discover of radioactivity. She was a hero of science until her hair fell out, her vomit and stool became filled with blood, and she was poisoned to death by her own discovery. With a little hard work, I see no reason why that can't also happen to any of you. (The Big Bang Theory)

1. Одразу скажу, що ця книга піде не всім. Якщо ви шукаєте класичну біографічну і
Victoria Olsen
Aug 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing -- the idea was interesting (famous hysteria patient from Charcot's Salpetriere hospital in 1880s) ends up working in Marie Curie's laboratory in turn of the century Paris.... but the story is too disjointed and melodramatic. Enquist makes up notebooks that the patient, Blanche Wittman, wrote and quotes portentously from them about her quest for love, her secrets, etc It just gets tiresome.
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2010 edition)
Reading this book gives you a feeling that the people who you used to read in your science books in school are alive: Marie Curie (the only female who won Nobel prize twice: first for physics with his husband Pierre Curie and second for chemistry. She discovered radium and plotonium); Albert Eistein (theory of relativity), Sigmund Freud (theory of unconscious mind); Louis Pasteur (germ theory of disease), Joseph Babinski (Babinski reflex), Paul Langevin (Langevin dynamics and Langevin equation) ...more
Nat
The use and abuse of exclamation points drove me nuts, and the vacuity of the "story" did nothing to make me forget the terrible writing. Its only redeeming quality seems to be its shortness.
verbava
енквіст – хороший містифікатор, який використовує рівно стільки правди, щоб, з одного боку, читачам було комфортно сприймати всю його розповідь як опис реальних подій – і, з іншого, не особливо зв'язувати собі руки історичними умовностями, які в сюжет можуть вкластися недостатньо добре. після нього хочеться більше почитати і про сальпетрієр (принаймні в мішеля фуко – все одно "історія безумства" з тих книжок, які дуже варто, але до яких ніяк не доходять руки), і про марі кюрі.
не знаю, щоправда,
Mark
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fictie-vertaald
Ik vind dit een geslaagde roman. Knap hoe Enquist een verhaal bouwt rondom de onbekende figuur van eenvoudige komaf Blanche Wittman en de wereldberoemde natuurkundige Mme Curie. Tijdens experimenten over de aard van de hysterie van de arts Charcot aan het einde van de 19e eeuw, was Blanche een van de vrouwen die ten overstaan van een publiek onder hypnose, naakt, werden ingezet. Later wordt ze de assistente van Mme Curie. Zelf raakt Mme Curie in 1911 verwikkeld in een schandaal als haar affaire ...more
Victoria Bobryk
"Історія є у всіх, та про небагатьох написано".
Це книга, якій ви повірите. Хоч добре знаєте, що це не біографія, а художня вигадка, хоч часом все видаватиметься вам геть сюрреалістичним. Ви повірите. І ще цілий вечір після прочитання не відлипатимете від ноутбука, прагнучи зрозуміти, що ж тут правда, а що вигадка. А потім подумаєте, що це, зрештою, не має ніякого значення, бо вам і так подобається історія Бланш і Марі, правда це чи ні, і покинете ту дурну справу.
Тут багато про жінок. Не тільки
Julie
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I missed something, but I really didn't get this book. I found it to be repetitive, boring, and easy to put down. The only part that was mildly interesting was the setting and the period of time during which psychology was still an emerging science or maybe art.
Mandy
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting subject matter, and it inspired me to find out the true facts behind the narrative, but as a novel it failed for me, the style put a barrier between me and the characters.
Wimke
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literatuur
Maria Beltrami
Dopo i fasti de Il medico di corte, Enquist ha prodotto cose buone, ma non eccezionali. Questo romanzo è secondo me persino al di sotto della media. La fittizia convivenza tra Marie Curie e la musa di Charcot, Blanche Wittman, che dovrebbe servire per creare un parallelo tra i laboratori nei quali si è scoperto il radio e quell'orrore infame che fu la Salpêtrière, dove si ammassavano 6000 donne rese malate dal desiderio di fama di uomini che manco credevano avessero un'anima e che del loro males ...more
Nicola
Jul 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books, disliked
I have worked out that there is a specific type of literature that I don't care for; books which are very well written but contain little else.

The Story of Blanche and Marie had no real story or plot and was written in a dreamy cyclic sort of a way, dipping in and out at various points in Blanche and Maries life. After hearing the same thing repeated over and over I got sick of it. I was concurrently reading The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis and that solidified my thoughts as to my reading
Olga Kendzior
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Коротко о "Бланш и Мари":
1. Повторы.
2. Назидательность.
3. Разжеванные истины, произнесённые "голосом свыше".
4. Повторы.
5. Невнятные плоские персонажи.
6. Нелинейный сюжет обрывками.

На самом деле, идеальная книга для экранизации Терренсом Маликом.
Но я не люблю фильмы Малика. И мне жутко не понравилась эта книга.
Ivana
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ako to už býva, knihy o láske našťastie nie sú vždy roztomilé a optimistické. Enquist balansuje na hranici reality a fikcie ako Blanche na hranici hystérie a vedomia v nemocnici, medzi úprimnosťou a kalkulom, medzi vedou a tým, čo je za ňou. Obzvlášť rytmická kniha.
Luis Alberto Moreno
Me ha parecido un tostón inconexo. Reconozco que no he sido capaz de pasar de la mitad, pero me parecía demasiado castigo seguir intentando que me gustara.
Sabina
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Kako lahko metulj, ki pobegne iz nebes lahko napiše knjigo o ljubezni? Metulj v preobleki je Witt, ali Blanche 2, Blanche 3, Blanche 12, v igri vloge pacientke z histeričnimi motnjami, se po smrti slavnega nevrologa Charcota, ki je odkril multiplo sklerozo, pozdravi in osvobodi. A le za nekaj časa, saj jo poskusi, ki jih izvaja z Nobelovo nagrajenko Marie Curie, izmaličijo. Dotik modre svetlobe, ki je samosijoča, samožareča, radij, povzroči bolezni, zaradi katerih izgubi vse ude razen desne roke ...more
Maria Zbroy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
«Я ніколи не відступлюся від тебе»

Роман, який написав Пер Улоф Енквіст - це історія відомої науковиці Марю Кюрі та «королеви істеричок» Бланш Віттман. Історія частково правдива, але все ж вигадана і заплутана.
Якщо ви захочете знайти хоч якусь інформацію про найвідомішу пацієнтку психіатра Жана-Мартена Шарко - вам доведеться добряче попрацювати. Вікіпедія, яка завжди стає в нагоді, заведе вас на сторінку німецькою, де розділ «Біографія» базується виключно на згадці про цю книгу.

Якщо вас вразить
Staša
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I pick this up and did it deliver what it said it would?
I did not, it was sent to me as a birthday gift from a friend. I don't typically pick up books like these and uh...it seems like that won't change anytime soon.

What did I like?
Honestly...not a lot. I liked that it was about 2 women but that's about it.

What did I dislike?
- The prose that it was written in, this semi-romanticism, float on clouds and drink valium until your passed out in the backyard. those have never been my books an
Sara
I don't see eye to eye with Per Olov Enquist. I find the voice of his writings provoking, oddly enough. And to make matters worse; he's too liberal with "the truth". When I read historical fictions, I want to learn something as well. But with Enquist I don't, cause I can't trust that the facts presented to me in his fictive tale are true. He bends the truth too much.

A quick googling on "Blanche Wittman Marie Curie" shows that the only hits that link those two names together are sites that talks
Наталя Федорович
Книга не виправдала моїх очікувань, хотілося б більше дізнатися про життя Марі Кюрі, котра є першою жінкою, яку удостоїли Нобелівської премії (до того ж, вона отримувала її двічі: з фізики і з хімії). Про її стосунки з Полем Ланжевеном після сперті П'єра мені було відомо з серіалу про життя Айнштайна "Геній", у романі просто на цьому більше акцентовано увагу. Звісно, про життя Бланш мені не було нічого відомо, а саме на ній зосереджена уся увага у творі, бо її дещо божевільні нотатки використову ...more
Henning
Länge ville jag ge den här boken en tvåa. De sista hundra sidorna gjorde mig generösare. Dessförinnan måste man ta sig igenom en hel del melodramatiskt svammel, fullt av upprepningar om kärlekens innersta innebörd och dylikt. Till slut får Enquist dock upp tempot, och då belönar sig också det idoga faktaarbetet.
Lupo
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una descrizione di un doppio mondo femminile e delle loro sofferenze. Una ricostruzione storicamente accurata come usuale in questo autore. Imperdibile.
Marthe Bijman
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only when you are about halfway through this book do you think of checking on the cover and title page to see whether it is fiction or non-fiction. And it clearly states – “A Novel” and “fiction”. It is a feature of Enquist’s writing that he builds fascinating fiction around fairly small and obscure historical references. In this case the reference is a painting by Andre Brouillet, entitled “A Clinical Lesson at the Salpetriere” [Hospital], that depicts a female patient of 19th century Neurologi ...more
Johanna
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Boken om Blanche och Marie" är för mig min första tillflykt till Per Olov Enquists verk. Den gavs ut 2004 och väver skickligt ihop en fiktiv berättelse med ett fåtal historiska personligheter och nyckelhändelser i deras karriär/liv.

Boken är intressant, för den är skriven på ett sätt jag aldrig varit med om förut. Protagonisten och berättaren är i första han Blanche Wittman, en välkänd historisk person som agerade medium i vetenskapsmannens Charcots forskning om Hysteri kring förra sekelskiftet.
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was EXCELLENT! Translated from Swedish, this is an historical novel using the devices of foreshadowing and repetition. I loved this unique writing style.

The cover gives a good indication of what the book is about. Blanche Wittman is on the cover. She has spent time in a home named Salpetriere where she is studied by French doctors as a "medium". We would call, what she displays, multiple personalities. She is treated for hysteria through hypnotism and the ovary compressor. Yes, how sc
Virginia
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I loved the Visit of the Royal Physician, Enquist's earlier book, so right now I'm feeling quite miffed and extremely disappointed. Here are my two major issues.

Firstly. The constant teasing of key story elements, repetitions leading into paragraph breaks. Rather than literary technique, it reminded me of the "coming next' teasers in reality TV, the one or two interesting clips that we impatiently wait for, but are ultimately a letdown after the constant teasing. Although that said, I'm not sure
Mastrangelina
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blanche e Marie. Blanche Wittman e Marie Curie. La "regina delle isteriche", il torso dentro una cassetta di legno e la donna che si è meritata due volte il Nobel. La vita, la morte e il mistero assoluto dell'amore. E tutt'intorno J. M. Charcot, il medico, il mago, un uomo "prigioniero della ragione, ma con i piedi immersi nel fango" divenuto famoso per le sue lezioni nell'Ospedale della Salpétriére, luogo quasi mitico nel quale per i suoi spettacoli era stato costruito persino un anfiteatro, un ...more
Stephan Frank
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any author venturing into "Historical Fiction" is walking a rather fine line with me - you guessed it, I am not the greatest fan of that genre. Make that line even thinner when eminent Scientists are involved, that alone can be a minefield. However, in the case of "The book about Blanche and Marie" Enquist does indeed meet my approval. Especially for his way of interweaving the purely fictional stories of the two women with descriptions of the strange period in which science found itself at that ...more
  • The Successor
  • The Christmas Oratorio
  • La dama número trece
  • Pavel's Letters
  • Undrawn
  • The Museum of Unconditional Surrender
  • Girl Mary
  • Celestial Harmonies
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book(s) Three & Four
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • The Death of a Beekeeper
  • The History of Napoleon Buonaparte
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • Ultimate Rush
  • En busca de Klingsor
  • Last World
  • The Commandant
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II (Oxford Oral History Series)
Per Olov Enquist, better known as P. O. Enquist is one of Sweden's internationally best known authors. He has worked as a journalist, playwright, and novelist. In the nineties, he gained international recognition with his novel The Visit of The Royal Physician.

After a degree in History of literature at Uppsala University he worked as a newspaper columnist and TV debate moderator from 1965 to 1976.
More about Per Olov Enquist...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Love in the Ruins
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“She stood motionless on the shore, waiting for the dream to continue, for a solution to become visible, but nothing happened. Then she awoke and thought maybe that was how Pierre had died. Like a bird that takes off and ascends and is suddenly gone.

Free, she thought, released. Then she thought:alone.

She stared at the ceiling. No beauty whatsoever, no freedom; she remembered that Pierre was dead and felt ordinary despair and grief pour in through the dawn. The dream dispersed. Suddenly she was unsure.

Maybe the dream wasn't about Pierre but about herself.”
3 likes