Start by marking “Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)

Fortress Britain

(Arisen #1)

A world fallen - under a plague of seven billion walking dead
A tiny island nation - the last refuge of the living
One team - of the world's most elite special operators
The dead, these heroes, humanity's last hope, all have...

When the Zombie Apocalypse came, one country had shut down its borders in response to a major terrorist attack. Now Fortress Britain is the last bastio
Published August 6th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Fortress Britain, please sign up.
Mitchell Blum56gmail.comap Yes and no. Genesis and Nemesis are "prequels" respectively. They give much of the background information needed for the rest of the series which…moreYes and no. Genesis and Nemesis are "prequels" respectively. They give much of the background information needed for the rest of the series which follow in order.(less)
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,263 books — 2,914 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,534 books — 4,210 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Since I haven't dabbled in the undead for a while, I thought it might be high time.

Also, R.C. Bray narrating an audio book can only bring strength to my recent and unprecedented "sad-book binge".

Review to come tonight. This was some good stuff, some really good stuff. A fresh take on zombies. The genre has been dragging for a long time now. I feel like the genre has become soulless and without flesh.

Enough puns.

Image result for zombies gif

Man I wish this man narrated my life. Imagine how much more fun breakfast would b
Michael Martin
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
My only complaint is thus book is short. Stephen King would combine all four books into one, but serial authors these days seem to feel they get more $$ by four purchases at $3. Perhaps true, but many, like thus one, end clearly at a commercial break rather than with a stand-alone conclusion. I should want to read the next book because the current one was so engrossing, not because I'm left with an unfinished story.
Victor *we were on a break!*
I'll explain the two stars when I get on my big boy computer (presently on Kindle 🔥).
David Dalton
I find it somewhat awkward to admit that as a Zomibe junkie, I had not read anything by Glynn James. However, as a hi-tech military action junkie, I have read a few books by of Michael S. Fuchs. My favorite of his so far is: D-Boys. The follow up to D-Boys is Counter-Assault. I love both of these books.

This book combined two of my favor storylines: Zombies and military action thrillers. It seems as if it was written JUST for me. Arisen, Book One, fits right along with The Gathering Dead (A Zombi
Leighton
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
See book four for my overall verdict.... It's a good one!

For poor books remember what Yoda said - "If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play!"

How I review...
1 star - binned it before half way, please don't write anymore!!!
2 stars - finally binned it after really trying, I mean really trying and I hate to not finishing someth....
3 stars - finished it but boy was that hard work on times, it just about hooked me back in as I was about to dump it
4 stars - g
Barry Burman
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lets be honest, zombies seem to be everywhere. Movies, games , TV and novels aplenty.
Now, I'm not normally a zombie type of reader. Yep, I enjoyed World War Z. However, there just seems to be lots of novels with almost identical blurbs.
Choosing a good one seems to be a bit of a challenge.
I'm not too sure how I came across Arisen, but it grabbed my imagination. Tier 1 operators hunting through zombie infected buildings for technology that help may find a cure.

However, i have read many books th
Bill Myers
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Don't expect a novel. If you do, you will be disappointed. Expect, instead, an extended set-up piece for some future novel. Here, you will face a bit of plot background (which is told, not shown) as well as lots of fawning praise for special forces troops and highly detailed reverence for military equipment. Character development is an obvious low priority; we learn very little about any character and, as a result, have a hard time caring about them.

For me, the bottom line is that this book does
Melissa
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now where the hell did this come from?? I loved it! Great zombie books that held my attention from the beginning! Totally did not expect this! If you like zombie books with more action / military etc then you need to read these!
Thomas
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second post-apocalyptic book for 2018 after reading Fever by Deon Meyer. Considering the let down I have had with watching the most recent series of The Walking Dead, I really needed something to make up for this. Michael Stephen Fuchs and Glynn James have written just the thing to do this and it was the perfect thing I needed regarding a new audiobook series.

Britain has sealed itself off from the rest of the world and has in effect become a fortress. The British Military are not just content
Alondra
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Fleshy bites out of 5 (Review to Follow)
Jett Cat
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally I read this book sometime ago. I ran across listings for the others in the series and dove back in.
I was a rush of a ride, I burned through the series so quickly I honestly don't remember which events happened when.
I can say that these books are fast pace action and yet still manage to capture the humanity, or the loss of it from a psychological point of view that is both insight full, and in my not so expert opinion, seemingly accurate. As I commented, I am no expert and have nothi
Randy Harmelink
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
This was a solid 4 rating until I got to the end of the book. It just ends. In the middle of a developing storyline. I also felt it left another storyline dangling.

The last 20-30% of this book sets up for a zombie mission, which won't take place until the next book. All of that setup should have been in the next book! Not this one.

Anyway, other than that leaving a bad taste in my mouth, I enjoyed the book quite a bit. Good writing. Good characters. Good zombie action. A few surprises here and th
Mad-robot
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm an eternal zombie fan so this seemed like a good one to try. It's not too bad, this book sets the scene and establishes some characters and there are more books available in the series (another reason I gave this one a try).

Not much originality in the plot but I don't care. Teams of military operators, dropping into zombie-infested cities on life-or-death missions? Yes please!
Fred Fenimore
Jun 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Imagine a book where every character has the world's worst case of short mans syndrome. Imagine a world filled with nothing but cliches. Imagine a story where nothing happens but random scenes of violence that neither impacts the characters or the world. Now you don't need to read this awful, awful book.
chucklesthescot
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Britain is the only country who seems to have the zombie apocalypse under some kind of control, due to a terrorist attack shutting their airspace to aircraft just as the virus went global. The Channel Tunnel has been blocked off and the military have all but a few random zombies taken care of who are wandering the countryside. The US and UK military launch raids to gather vital supplies from around Europe in special forces missions. But things are about to go very wrong when something escapes th ...more
Shelley Deuso
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was great. It was a little confusing in the beginning switching from one group to another for every chapter but once I got to know the the groups it all came together nicely. I always give my greatest phrase to books I really like so as is, " it wasn't long enough", meaning I want more and the author did well because it ended right exactly as I was really getting into it!
I like the military slang and I am looking forward to reading more books in the series just to find out mo
Victor
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is a low rent attempt at a thrilling zombie apocalypse book which left me feeling cheated and wanting my money back. I could be wrong but I've always considered a "series" to be a compilation of several complete books that follow the same plot line. Instead this "series" broke one book into multiple parts and labeled it a series. Unfortunately this seems to be a popular trend among indie writers. So, congrats Mr. James, you got my .99 cents or whatever it was, but rest assured you'll get no ...more
Lori Franklin Hopkins
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have had this first book of this series for a while, but just now read it when I got book 2 for free. I am so glad that I waited, as these books each end with a bang, and I really want to read the rest of them, cause I have to know what happens!
Full of action and ZOMBIES, this is one of the best series out there! I have found a new favorite!
Trisha
May 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
Not terrible, but not as "action packed" as reviews led me to believe. A good portion of the book dealt more with the philisophical and feelings of the barely developed characters. God is mentioned every page and gets a bit overwhelming for my tastes.
Jessica Kong
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Better

I found Arisen: Fortress Britain a better read than Genesis simply because it began with more action. The characters are well developed and I find myself cheering for them. I’m happy to have found another great zombie vs. army series to read.
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This is a really quick read because it's done in segments - for starters, this one is pretty good setting everything up. It should get more interesting as it goes.
Evelyn
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It amazes me how so many people can write books about zombies and each one is different and entertaining. This is only the first in the series and I hope to read the others.
Austin Segrave
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
no real plot
John Podlaski
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most of the zombie books that I've read depict the military as an inept force that is unable to stop the ZA and usually follows a group of lucky civilians in their quest for survival. Arisen - Fortress Britain, on the other hand, tells the story of ZA through the eyes of the military. Great Britain had the foresight to begin preparing themselves for the end of the world and welcoming survivors that managed to reach its shores; the fortress island has survived for over two years by using the mili ...more
Jen Lynn
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book. Granted, I haven't read all that many zombie/apocalypse books so I haven't had much to compare it to. But I was drawn into this book. It took more of a military take on the zombie apocalypse, instead of the viewpoint of the Average Joe survivor. The ending definitely left you hanging, so you would need to read the next book in the series to see what happens. But the book was entertaining enough where I actually opted to purchase the second book immediately af ...more
Tanja Berg
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies, kindle
I was quite sure I had marked this as finished and written a short review, but well, apparently not. I finished this Tuesday evening. There isn't a terrible lot to say. Zombie apocalypse with military overtones. It's been three years since the end of the world and the only country which has any living left is the British island. They are under constant attack though. The military is searching for cures in the research centers across Europe. They are no longer working and because communication br ...more
Anna
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this series and loved the fact it was available on kindle unlimited. This was the first series I've read in this genre other than the Walking Dead comics. So when I came across this book I figured I would give it a try and so happy I had. The fast paced action kept me glued to the book. I literally read the first eight books plus the two side books in less than 6 days! How I was able to get anything done besides reading is beyond me! My only wish is that it was available in ...more
Emily
Aug 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Terrible

I never put a book down, no matter how terrible, I always see them through until the end. At %77 I decided I was wasting my life by reading this book.
If you enjoy a long dry list of military weapons and aircraft, if you want a string of different abbreviation branches of armed forces, if you like under developed characters that are unlikable and soulless , well this is the book for you.
I wonder where these terrible books get the rave reviews that draw people into reading them.... The wea
Teekysunflower
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's not really a book. This was more of a introduction to the characters and the ZA setting. I enjoyed it but gave it two stars because as a book it doesn't hold its own. It is quite short and, like I said, an introduction verses a whole story. The story seems to start half way through leaving many cliffhanger for book two (which I am reading now). I'll see if the second book wraps things up a bit more.
Dawn
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
The idea behind this story is good but, for me, the execution is poor. For such a short book (albeit the first in a series) there are too many wanderings into the past. I've walked away from this book with the feeling that every other chapter there was a pause by the main character in the chapter, a wistful glance into the distance from them, and... cue flashback.
It just didn't do it for me, but I think a lot of other people will love this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Arisen 1 35 Jun 14, 2013 07:54AM

• Genesis (Arisen #3.5)
  • The Rising Horde: Volume One (The Gathering Dead, #2)
  • Escaping the Dead (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #1)
  • The Rising Horde: Volume Two (The Gathering Dead, #3)
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Dead Surge (White Flag of the Dead, #5)
  • This Shattered Land  (Surviving the Dead, #2)
  • Denial Measures (Up From the Depths #1)
  • Failsafe (GAMELAND, #2)
  • Extinction Edge (The Extinction Cycle, #2)
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • Mountain Man (Mountain Man #1)
More info on his writing and projects can be found at www.glynnjames.co.uk or on facebook at www.facebook.com/glynnjamesfiction

GLYNN JAMES, born in Wellingborough, England, in 1972, is an author of science fiction, post-apocalyptic, dark fantasy, horror, and dystopian fiction.

His love of science fiction and horror began when he was eight years old after discovering HP Lovecraft and Richard Matheso

Arisen (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Mogadishu of the Dead (Arisen, #2)
  • Three Parts Dead (Arisen, #3)
  • Maximum Violence (Arisen, #4)
  • Exodus (Arisen, #5)
  • The Horizon (Arisen, #6)
  • Death of Empires (Arisen #7)
  • Empire of the Dead (Arisen, #8)
  • Cataclysm (Arisen #9)
  • The Flood (Arisen #10)
  • Deathmatch (Arisen #11)
“Come, eat your food with joy and drink your wine with a glad heart … enjoy life with the woman you love, through all the fleeting life which God has given you in this world…” 1 likes
“Which was a reminder that you didn’t want faith getting in the way of tactical considerations. But, at a certain point, faith, however groundless, however forlorn, can be all you’ve got left.” 1 likes