Start by marking “Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945” as Want to Read:
Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945

Action! Mystery! Thrills!: Comic Book Covers of the Golden Age, 1933-1945

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When we contemplate a memorable old comic book, the first thing that
comes to mind is its cover, and that was no accident. Publishers realized fairly
quickly that if they spent a little extra to hire a good cover artist, they could fill
the insides with mediocrity and still make a sizable profit — that all it took was
a striking cover to entice thousands of kids to fork over t
Published January 30th 2012 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about Action! Mystery! Thrills!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Action! Mystery! Thrills!

Andy
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, graphic-novels
One look at the cover of Action! Mystery! Thrills! might be enough to turn off many potential buyers. I mean, come on, you’ve got swastikas and hooded fiends surrounding a young woman about to be sacrificed. Not exactly PC.... We learn from the inside of the book that this is one of the rarest of comic book covers drawn by Alex Schomburg from Suspense Comics #3, April, 1944. Okay, I get that it’s rare, but editor Greg Sadowski still could’ve used a different cover.

The front cover not withstandi
Rick
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Editor/designer Greg Sadowski returns to his tireless exploration of the comic book with this magnificent collection of 176 full color covers, dating from the Golden Age. As in his previous volumes ( Supermen! , Four Color Fear , Setting the Standard ), Sadowski supplies copious end notes and annotations. Though this time, the information additionally reads as an entertaining history of early comics. Perhaps the book's only flaws rest in the lack of an index and that the annotations might bet ...more
Andreia
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I guess there wasn't actually much reading in this except for the intro and the historical summaries at the end. This is a book of Comic Book Covers from 1933-1945. I think you can tell a lot about a society by what they read. Some of the character names were a hoot. The subject manner and some straight out racism is even evident. You can tell there wasn't any Political Correctness going on.
Richard
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: comics lovers of all ages
Recommended to Richard by: I saw a review.
I was amazed that I did not know most of these comics. The covers were too much alike, but that is not Mr. Sadowski's fault. I liked the thumbnails he put in the back of the book to sort of clarify each title.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is jam-packed with comic book covers from the Golden Age of Comics, including a number of comics I had never even heard of. There is also a section at the end of the book that has some information about each of the covers. The color is great and the choice of titles is very wide.
Bart Hill
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice, solid collection of Golden Age comic covers. I also liked the short descriptions of each cover giving an overview of artist, influences, and other insights to these comic books and their readers. So, why not a 5 star? Only because I wish more covers had been included.
Alex