Start by marking “Crazy Dangerous” as Want to Read:
Crazy Dangerous

Crazy Dangerous

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,173 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews

Do Right, Fear Nothing.

Sam Hopkins is a good kid who has fallen in with the wrong crowd. Hanging around with car thieves and thugs, Sam knows it’s only a matter of time before he makes one bad decision too many and gets into real trouble.

But one day, Sam sees these thugs harassing an eccentric schoolmate named Jennifer. Finding the courage to face the bullies down, Sam los

Published May 1st 2012 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Dangerous

Tracey Dyck
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
I read the novel four years ago (2013) and loved it then. Listening to the audiobook now, I love it again! It's intense, it's endearing, it's a little creepy, and Sam Hopkins is my fave. I'm reminded of why Andrew Klavan's books are so addictive!
Crystal
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book has hands down the best first chapter I have ever read! I was so creeped out that I had to keep checking underneath my bed and I even had to turn my hall light on! *shudders* I usually shy away from thriller type books, but this one just grabs you and never lets go!

The story starts out very and I mean VERY creepy with Jennifer dealing with the nightmares in her mind. I was so relived when the POV changed to Sam after that initial chapter because I don't think I could have handled being
L_manning
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sam Hopkins is a pretty good kid. The son of a preacher, he has lived a fairly normal life. He has always wanted to get a little more attention though. One day he starts to get that attention, but not from the people he probably should. When Sam starts to feel a that he's in a bit over his head, he decides that now would be a good time to get away from his new crowd. Things go terribly wrong when a strange girl from his school crosses his path. Jennifer Sales is the sister of one of the most pop ...more
Renee
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Do right. Fear nothing.

These simple words sum up the moral code that guides Sam Hopkins, the teenage hero of Andrew Klavan’s Crazy Dangerous.

Sam is a preacher’s kid from a loving family, whose mom, dad, and brother are all a little too busy to spend time with him. When he is tapped by the biggest troublemaker in school to become part of a bad-boy entourage, he feels cool for the first time in his life. Initially, his bad choices lead to a dilemma that only affects himself. Then he stumbles
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan

I’ve always heard that preacher’s kids are the worst. That is when it comes to being wild. Is this what happened to Sam? He was a pretty good kid, didn’t really give his parents a lot of problems and heartaches,that is until he started hanging around with the wrong kind of people. People that like to get into trouble, and that led Sam into getting into trouble. Jennifer was more like wild and crazy, and her mental problems only caused more problems for her.

Wow whe
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
NOPE!

Demons on the first page very detailed? Yeah, I'm not reading.
1 John 4:1~ “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.”

*Banned for messing with spirits of the evil one.
Tessa
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Prepare to be surprised! Fans of John Green and Quick Matthew will most certainly like this.

Don't get fooled by the description and the tags, despite everything, this story is not really your usual mystery with paranormal flavor. It's a sort of coming of age/finding out who you really are/what to fight for kind of book and it's very character driven (what I liked).

"Do Right, Fear Nothing."
Yup, this is the main message of the story, but I feel it was very well delivered. Sam Hopkins is your aver
Michelle
This novel was compulsively readable and I found myself lost in the story... and sometimes scared silly. So maybe it's not a good idea to read some of these scenes at night. Just sayin'. Anyway, I loved the mystery/suspense themes within the story and the insight into a PK's mind. I also loved how Sam was a bit nuts and how he did so many brave things as a result. At his core, he was a good guy who cared about others. You have to admire a hero like that, even if what he did sometimes seemed pret ...more
Lisa
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Life is all about perceptions. There is a fine line between what one might consider prophetic and what one might consider crazy. Which one of those categories does Jennifer fall into? Maybe the answer is both.

We find a character who is completely batty, in the eyes of everyone around her. But somehow, Sam was able to see past that. He was able to put the fractured pieces together and find the truth.

This book skirts around some issues that face us all. When is it okay to not do the right thing?
Lou
Reseña en español completa

Oh my God, this book is SO CUTE!!! great choose of words, ha? but I can't think of anything else-

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, dear Andrew Klavan, I'm afraid that I'm going to buy all of your books from now :)
Jeanie
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do right do not fear. Sam is challenged by those very words. Sam is 16 years old and is put into some Crazy Dangerous sitations that the only thing that keeps on the path is those words. This was like a Stephen King novel, but christian style. It has food for thought while keeping you at the edge of your seat.
Alyssa Tisinger
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Hands down, the best thriller I've ever read. From the minute I opened the book, I was hooked. I read all of it in one sitting-- so good. I loved this book, but it's for late teens. Mature kids for sure. Sam's life is very enticing, and makes me think about how boring my life is.
Winter
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
YES! THIS BOOK IS SO SUPER AWESOME! READ IT!
Nate Mcreynolds
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
February 15, 2015

I am currently reading Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan This is the only book I have finished this quarter because I have to read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I chose this book because it's a mix of adventure, action, and mystery. I have read a few books by Andrew Klavan I have really liked his work. I was getting kind of tired of reading this big action novels that I had recently read so I wanted to try something not as grueling. This was the perfect choice because it
Emily (Book Jems)
As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!

Recte Age Nil Time.
Do Right. Fear Nothing.

Crazy Dangerous? More like Crazy Awesome!

This was one of the strangest, coolest books I've read this year. Some elements are more middle grade than young adult, but I really enjoyed it. I only put the book down once and that was to go to sleep. (I couldn't help it, I was exhausted.)

The narrator is great. Our main character, Sam Hopkins, has a very funny voice. I don't mean that literally. I mean that reading from his persp
Katie
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, arc
Crazy Dangerous captured my attention right away. We are introduced to the main character, Sam Hopkins, via his narration and a description of him lying bloodied and bruised on the side of the road. He goes on to tell us about "the stupidest thing he ever did", which is what put him in that place on the side of the road. From there, we're launched into his life life as a goody-two-shoes Preacher's Kid (PK) who just wants to fit in. That is, until he does fit in - with the wrong crowd.

The group o
Gabriel Gallardo
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Crazy dangerous by Andrew klavan is a fiction novel about a boy's journey through the struggles of living in the suburbs and attending a high school where he meets certain characters that show him things that he was probably better off not knowing. The story is told through both 3rd and 1st person , however it is well written in the fact that as a reader you feel as if you are experiencing what the main character, Sam, is going through.The author entertains us in this novel by providing a good b ...more
Ellen
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tours
Sam Hopkins is a preacher's kid, who just wants everyone to accept him for who he is, not for who his father is. Most of the book is narrated by Sam, whose inner dialogues are hilarious. I really liked Sam. He has a funny, charismatic personality, and he doesn't take any crap from others. The rest of the book is from Jennifer's point of view. She is a mentally ill teenager, who is having disturbing visions. As you can read in the book description, Sam is one tough little dude. After a run-in wit ...more
Novels On The Run
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 5 CRAZY DANGEROUS STARS!!

RECTE AGE NIL TIME

DO RIGHT. FEAR NOTHING.

This book was a fantastic, suspenseful, crazy, dangerous ride. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Sam Hopkins is a PK = Preachers Kid.

He starts off trying to shake the image of a PK, becomes the apprentice to three thugs, Jeff, Harry and Ed and learns the trade of some things that can come in handy being a thug. After a short lived apprenticeship, Sam sees the error of his ways when he meets Jennifer . Oh
Ivana
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Crazy Dangerous made me happy reading it from the beginning and won me over thanks to its main characters, Sam and Jennifer.

The story is told in alternating voices of these two. I can't remember the last time I've read a YA book with a voice so crystal clear and genuine as Sam's. He's a character so wonderfully mischievous and cute and real. He has no supernatural powers, he's not super-hot and mysterious and brooding. He's your regular next-door 16-year old kid who gets into trouble. Jennifer o
Faye
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it

Rating: 4.5!

Crazy Dangerous is crazy awesome!

Chilling mystery, and adventure collide in Andrew Klavan's thrilling, yet thought provoking book.

While reading it, I wasn't ever quite sure where this book would go, it was so unpredictable, and I loved that! I loved how it was told in a more unique second person point of view, like I was hearing the tale right from Sam Hopkins' mouth.

There were elements that some might question at first, but I think by the end they will realize what was going on and
Crystal Craig
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, owned-print
I'm always apprehensive about reading young adult novels; YA is just not my genre. Young Adult or not, when I read the synopsis of Andrew Klavan's, Crazy Dangerous, I thought it sounded awesome. I liked the idea of a teenage, son of a preacher getting into the wrong crowd; a group of car thieves at that. The first few chapters really pulled me in and I liked how the author ended each chapter in a way that made me jump right into the next one; there was no talking a break to fold laundry or makin ...more
Cutter
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was one of the best books I have read. This book is about Sam Hopkins, a preachers kid who got mixed up in the wrong crowd for a little while, and Jennifer Sales, a new friend of Sam who has a disease known as schizophrenia, which makes her have visions.

There are two main conflicts in this book. The first conflict is that Sam got involved in a group of bad kids, who steal cars, beat people up, smoke, and drink alcohol, (they are underage, only 17 years old.) The second conflict is that Jenn
Freda Mans-Labianca
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
I couldn't keep my hands off this book! I'd put it down and have to pick it back up again. I had to get to the end and find out what all happened.
I really can't decide if I like Sam or Jennifer more. Both characters, different in their own ways, were both delightful, wholesome, loving characters. They had personalities that were personable and made you want to get to know them.
The morals that came across in this story, like love, trust and acceptance, were told solidly. It will continue to reson
Tish
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
This was an exciting suspenseful read, suitable for middle grades (IMO) and up.

The main character is a high school student who has to face some tough moral dilemmas where sometimes the right thing to do is not clear or is flat-out dangerous. I liked Sam's voice--he was funny, intelligent, compassionate, and sometimes just a bit snarky.

The author excels at describing action-packed scenes and at building suspense. I was even afraid I might have nightmares from reading this at bedtime even though
Gisbelle
This book was amazing! It was fast-paced, well-written, kinda creepy and surprisingly humorous. I liked Sam and his crazy sense of humor. I was a little disappointed in Sam at first when he went with the flow and joined the wrong crowd just because he thought it might boost his coolness level. I loved that he stood up for Jennifer, even when he knew that it would bite him in the butt later.

It didn't make much sense at first. Yes, I enjoyed almost every sense, but sometimes it was a little weird
Mojoboy31
Fast paced, thought provoking, suspenseful, funny, touching, and just all around great reading. In the best way possible, this book stayed with me long after it was over.

Sam is just a normal kid who gets mixed up with the wrong crowd, and winds up in the middle of something that not even the reader could have guessed at the beginning. It's a common setup, but it plays very well here with Sam's dry wit, and surprisingly great sense of humor.

The story moves at a surprising pace, and will keep you
Kristen
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was...weird. The story felt haphazardly thrown-together, and a lot of the time I had no idea what was going on. Parts of it felt entirely unnecessary, while other parts needed more attention and explanation. The last few chapters were well done and suspenseful, but not enough to save it. The idea of "is she schizophrenic or a divine prophet or an eavesdropper or all of the above" could have been interesting, but the result just wasn't. I'm picky when it comes to mysteries, anyway, and this ...more
Daniel Koh
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great, exciting, adventurous book. This book had a couple twists and turns that surprised me and did not let me put the book down. This is a book that I would re-read in the future. I would recommend this book to many people that like books that are filled with action and adventure. I would compare this book with this author's other series "The Homelanders" except this book has a toned down amount of action.
☆Joycedale☆
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was really a funny and sweet story. It wasn't full of the usually YA drama. The characters were down to earth with just a little bit of supernatural thrown in.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Fiction, mystery girl with schizophrenia and a boy try to uncover mysteries of the girl's visions. Spoilers ahead. [s] 9 366 Jan 04, 2018 07:06AM
RiseUp!: Crazy Dangerous 12 20 Jun 17, 2013 09:19PM
Klavan's best? 4 8 Jan 05, 2013 06:21PM
WHO WOULDA THOUGHT.... 4 8 Dec 30, 2012 12:25PM
  • Corridor
  • Sneak (Swipe, #2)
  • The Manicurist
  • Beyond Molasses Creek
  • Hurt (Solitary Tales, #4)
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Falling Skies
  • There Is No Hope Here
  • The River of Forgetting: A Memoir of Healing from Sexual Abuse
  • Replication: The Jason Experiment
  • The 13th Tribe  (Immortal Files #1)
  • Veronica's Nap
  • Out of Breath  (The Lithia Trilogy, #1)
  • The Whispering House
  • Motor City Shakedown (Detroit Mysteries)
  • Failstate
  • The Sword in the Stars (Dark Sea Annals, #1)
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
“Do right. Fear Nothing.” 15 likes
“Does God know I'm still here? Does God know it's still me inside?"
"Sure He does! Of course He does! He's right with you. he's right there."
"Because I feel really alone sometimes."
"You're not alone." I move to her, put my hand on her shoulder. "You're not, believe me.”
3 likes