Start by marking “Capitol Murder” as Want to Read:
Capitol Murder

Capitol Murder

(Dana Cutler #3)

Deadly intrigue, breathtaking twists, and exhilarating suspense await in the third book of Phillip Margolin’s New York Times bestselling Washington Trilogy. Hot on the heels of Supreme Justice, Margolin delivers another heart-pounding thriller featuring private investigator Dana Cutler and lawyer Brad Miller, who are forced by a terrorist attack on a football stadium—and b

Published (first published April 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Capitol Murder, please sign up.
Chuck REALLY???! This was a major spoiler spoiler for me. Why is this right up front, with no spoiler warning?

Mike
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not read a Margolin novel in some time and was quickly reminded of his typical formula.

Margolin has the right recipes for a great thriller mystery: realistic setting, aggressive characters, twisting plots, cliffhangers, apathetic villains...

However, in my opinion, it's how he stirs these ingredients that somewhat annoy me. These books, Capitol Murder no exception, are seemingly several short stories written separately but then weaved together in an attempt to tie a mutual conclusion.

Some
Julie Christine
Not my usual fare, but it got me through a night of insomnia. Good airplane read. Be prepared to suspend sorts of disbelief.
Will
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action adventure junkies
READER'S SUBJECTIVE REVIEW FOLLOWS:

All in all, not a bad read. If I had to grumble, I'd say the plot behind the US intelligence operation is so masqueraded that the reader doesn't even know it's there until the last 50 pages of the book. The constant juxtaposition of the Clarence Little serial killer case with the jihadist plot to blow up FedEx Field is a bit disconcerting and quite frankly confuses the reader as to which form of terror--personal or cataclysmic--is the focal point of the book. H
Mike Gabor
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Luckily I borrowed this book from the library rather then buying it because if I did purchase it I would definitely be asking for a refund. I don't know what the author was thinking but some of the characters in this book act so stupidly it is beyond belief. I've read a few other books by this author and while they weren't masterpieces at least they had a believable plot and characters. I strongly, strongly suggest you take a pass on this book.
Jay Connor
Phillip Margolin has completed his Washington trilogy – “Executive Privilege,” “Supreme Justice” and, now, “Capitol Murder” – without lead characters. Brad, Ginny and Dana are rather plot pivots; their insertion in this story is to connect and bridge one incoherence to a coincidence to the next non-sequitor.

Despite this, Margolin is an interesting storyteller with enough forward propulsion to keep us engaged. The trouble begins when we ask: “engaged in what?”

Over the arc of this trilogy we hav
Matt
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
While it has been a while since I read the last book in the installment, I quite enjoyed the book and Margolin's split plot. it was quite easy to get ensconced and I found myself wanting to read 'just a little more', so much so that I sped through the book in a short time. Margolin is to be applauded not only for his description, but also the use of dialogue and accuracy that is lost in so many terrorist-centred books.

I found myself wanting to get to the root of how two seemingly independent sto
Connie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another fast paced book that grabs you from the first page and keeps you going until the end. Dana Cutler is only part of this book as there are a lot of different things going on in this book. Mr. Margolin knows how to build characters and you will either hate them or love them.

I like that this one took place in Oregon, where I am originally from and then in Washington DC. Some of the places I recognize and I like that I can identify with places or have been there.

I am giving this 5 ou
Mihir
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Phillip Margolin is a favorite of mine, I started reading his books nearly a decade ago and since then I have enjoyed his Amanda Jaffe books as well as his standalone titles. He began a trilogy with a set of characters in 2008 with Executive Privilege; he followed it up two years later with Supreme Justice and last year he capped off the trilogy with Capitol Murder.

Like all of his books, Capitol Murder has quite a few plot threads
Mary
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Private investigator Dana Cutler and attorney Brad Miller have been partners on several challenging and high-profile cases together. They have had to overcome countless difficulties and have made a variety of extremely powerful enemies over the course of their careers. Against such tremendous odds, Dana and Brad have always done their best to see that justice prevails. Now a series of wicked threats old and new are about to reunite them once again.

Brad Miller is distressed to learn that the deat
Bob Mustin
I sometimes read this sort of genre stuff; it has many readers, and I often find myself wondering what I’ve missed. Once again - and at the risk of seeming a snob - I find I haven’t missed all that much. In such books, the characters are an inch deep, the prose is often more than clunky, and the stories are filled with gratuitous sex and violence. Capitol Murder is no exception. Here, there’s a terroristic plot to kill lots of U.S. citizens, with more-than-mild corruption and intrigue within Fed ...more
tiddle
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts out well, and I enjoy the initial 1/3 of it. But then, instead of plots thickening, I fast realize that the plots are really so tenuously held together that it leaves a lot to be desired. *Spoiler alert* Once the serial killer escapes after killing off his defense attorney, among others, he suddenly drops from the book, only to resurface towards the end to becoming the "good guy" to save the day. And the befuddled plot to try to paint the AWOL Special Force guy as the is-he-or-is ...more
Michael
In "Capitol Murder," Phillip Margolin uses a three pronged approach to his story.

Serial killer, Clarence Little, kills and mutilates young women. One of the cases he was found guilty for, is overturned due to faulty evidence. The other cases will then be reviewed.

Brad Miller is an attorney who was active in overturning Little's conviction. He begins getting notes from Little and then learns that Little has escaped.

The next segment of the story has to do with a terrorist plot on a football stadiu
Shawn Steketee
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a give away from Goodreads. I really enjoyed this book, the story is suspenseful and interesting. The characters are likable, so likable that I'm planning read his other stories about them. If you enjoy intrigue and crime novels, you will enjoy this one. On the surface the story is about an attempted terrorist attack, it's really about the interactions and motivations of the various characters.
Erma Steppe
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished "Capital Murder" by Phillip Margolin and loved it! This is the first book of his I've read, but my roommate has read every book he's written, beginning with Heartstone." She told me not to start it unless I had nothing else to do and WOW, she was right. Thank you for allowing me to read your book; I'm putting you on my list of favorite authors.
Shelley
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Highly improbable and convoluted with at least 7 main characters. A decent story was obscured by telling it from so many points of view and having the individual story lines intersect. I might read another one of his books (not sure if I have), but not the two with these same characters. The characters aren't remotely likeable and have inconsistent personalities or none at all.
Jen
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. Page turner but not much in the way of character development and a bit heavy on the suspension of disbelief. The kind of book you read at your parents house because you find a copy of it in the the guestroom bookcase and you already finished the book you brought from home.
Jane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick paced thriller. I probably shouldn't read a political thriller during election season, as it makes me think that all politicians are crooked!
Priscilla Poppen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
I picked this book up from my library as a "blind date with a book." They had a brief description on the wrapping and it seemed like it would be right up my alley. I'm going to be honest, I didn't finish the book. The prologue was good, but then it started getting into the other characters. It was a struggle. The characters lacked depth. The main motivation for about 90% of the characters in this book is sex.
Look, I get it. Mr. Margolin hasn't been laid since the 90's. But that's no excuse to w
Flash Floyd
This is the final book of the triology related to Dana Cutler and Brad Miller. It is an OK story, but the reappearance of the Clarence Miller character seemed totally out of place in this book. It just seemed a far reach trying to fit Miller's MO into this particular story. Otherwise, it was a quick and easy read.
Matthew
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For my taste, too many characters and not exciting enough of a premise or plot. The writing was OK, but I was not intrigued by the story. I found it a little hard to follow as well. Uncharacteristically, I did not bother to finish this book. I may have liked it had I finished reading it, but just didn’t feel like investing any more time.
Debbie Oxier
This one has an escaped serial killer, an imminent terrorist attack, and a couple of dead bodies to keep you turning the pages. In the middle of everything - private investigator, Dana Cutler and attorney Brad Miller. I liked the story but it kept switching back and forth between the characters and sometimes it was hard to follow.
Chuck
This is a very fast-paced suspense thriller. I enjoyed the action and could not stop turning the pages. Character development is not Margolin's strength and the plot did lead to some confusion and disbelief!

Take it for what it is, a good way to spend a plane ride, or burn a few hours at the pool. Practice your page-turning skills and do not engage your mind, you will be fine!
Daniel
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of old cases come together for Dana Cutler and Brad Miller. A murderer escapes and a terrorist plot is exposed bringing both factions together at the end.
If you didn't read the first two Dana Cutler novels you missed part of the story. I didn't find this novel up to Margolin's usual standard
Steve
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Dana and Brad are great characters. Starting with the serial killer who gets loose in Oregon and the American deserter who joins the terrorist jihad. Margolin writes so well he takes you through the storyline as if you are there.
Lorraine Wille
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best mystery ever
Kevin Middaugh
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good Dana Cutler and Brad Miller story. I love the last chapters where Dana ties all the characters together.
Mary
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read from 1/27-30/19
Amy Alford
Formulaic, airport reading.
Laura Spanbauer
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time reading this author. Loved the book and the storyline. It had enough twists and turns, that it kept me interested.
Cindy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very graphic in places. I will not be following this author.
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • Oath of Office (Dr. Lou Welcome, #1)
  • Trader of Secrets (Paul Madriani, #12)
  • Guilt (Abe Glitsky, #2)
  • Marine One
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)
  • The Last Prophecy (Ben Kamal and Danielle Barnea, #7)
  • Debbie: My Life
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • Made Men: The True Rise-And-Fall Story of a New Jersey Mob Family
  • Christmas Male (Uniformly Hot!, #12)
  • Unholy Fire
  • Agent X (Steve Vail, #2)
  • Pitch Black (Black CATs, #2)
  • The Affair
  • Outrage (Butch Karp, #23)

Dana Cutler (4 books)
  • Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)