Start by marking “vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)” as Want to Read:
vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)

vN (The Machine Dynasty #1)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  2,513 Ratings  ·  389 Reviews
Amy Peterson is a von Neumann machine, a self-replicating humanoid robot.

For the past five years, she has been grown slowly as part of a mixed organic/synthetic family. She knows very little about her android mother’s past, so when her grandmother arrives and attacks her mother, little Amy wastes no time: she eats her alive.

Now she carries her malfunctioning granny as a pa
Published July 31st 2012 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about vN, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about vN

Kevin Kelsey
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
vN is a perfectly good novel and tells an interesting story, but there is a great novel hiding just below its surface that never quite breaches. It had one of the most original origin stories for AI that I’ve ever read, and was a genuine novel of ideas, but I feel like it just never really got there. I liked it enough to want to read the second in the series, and I’m hoping that the dark ideas that were introduced here will be more fully explored there.
This was a YA sci-fi story about robots.

Amy was quite a meek girl until her mother was attacked, and the sudden eating of her grandmother was a bit odd, as was how quickly Amy went from acting like a 5-year-old to acting like an adult.

The storyline in this was about Amy eating her grandmother, and ending up in jail, only to be rescued by another robot called Javier. Amy and Javier then went on the run together, but I didn’t find that all that interesting really, and the book dragged for me.

The e
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

While reading vN, I was frequently reminded of a mission statement I saw once on Angry Robot’s website – to publish the best in modern adult genre fiction, or in their words, “SF, F and WTF?!” This book certainly falls mostly in the first category, but also possesses a strong generous splash of the third.

At the heart of vN is a story about choice and independence in synthetic humans/artificial intelligences which in itself
Carmen
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Amy is five years old. At her kindergarten graduation, her grandmother shows up. Amy has never met her grandmother, and now she knows why. Her grandmother jumps on stage, grabs a little boy, and flings him to his death. When Amy's mother, Charlotte, tries to stop her, she starts beating Charlotte viciously.

Amy does the only thing she can think of. She runs right up to her grandma, opens her mouth wide, and takes a big bite out of her. Then she keeps eating and eating and eating until there's not
Ben Babcock
The robot apocalypse pops up all the time in science fiction, and with good reason. Humans are generally bad at getting along with each other; sharing this planet with intelligent life of an entirely different variety would probably not go down well. Isaac Asimov, of course, famously developed three laws of robotics that were designed to avoid android armageddon. All of them were designed to sanctify human life, to make it inviolable in the eyes of robotkind. Then, Asimov proceeded to demonstrat ...more
Katy
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - Bouncing between 3 and 4.

WARNING: vN is definitely not for the weak stomach, and it's not normally my type of book, but for some reason, I just had a sick, twisted desire to read such a weird book. (And I had to pick an edition because I promised a certain someone that the cover will not appear on my newsfeed. :P)

CONCEPT

This book took me on a crazy ride. But then again, I was prepared for it to be a strange story after reading the summary to find out that this robot has eaten her g
Melissa
Travis O.
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of cyberpunk, androids, and road trip lit
When I saw Madeline Ashby's vN on Angry Robot’s list of up-coming books to review, I admit to being captivated initially by the title itself. I didn’t make the connection to the “von Neumann” idea until I read the blurb, because in general robot fiction doesn't interest me. But recently, I’ve been getting into some of the best sci-fi movies from the 1970’s and 1980’s, and guess what? Robots. From Alien to Blade Runner and beyond, there are android companions everywhere. Some of them are murderou ...more
Kyle
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi
If I was a young woman, this might strike a chord. So much of scifi is metaphor; ways of discussing hard topics and new ideas. So a book about being a little girl, transitioning suddenly to adulthood, and the loving/furious relationship women may have with their mother is rich ground.

Truly great work makes the protagonist's journey applicable to whomever the reader is. This just provoked a strong secondhand embarrassment wince on behalf of the writer.

Everything is fundamentally weak: characters
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
4.0 Stars

This was an intelligently written novel that imagines a future where our society integrates organic and synthetic life. The main character is quite young and naive, which gave the book a young adult tone. However, the book actually addresses some very adult subject matter that may not be suitable for young readers.

This was a fascinating novel that examines numerous moral dilemmas that would arise with the development of artificial intelligence life. This was entertaining read with a go
Kaila
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
What an interesting book! Although fantasy will always be my first love, I'm trying to become more familiar with sci-fi themes.

For example, I had never heard of a von Neumann machine. It's an important point to know before going into this book as it's never really stated. Von Neumann machines are a sci-fi idea that originated in lectures from the late 1940s given by John von Neumann. He postulated about a robot that self-replicates with materials taken from its environment. Cylons are considered
Lata
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Robots! :) (I'm a sucker for a robot story.)

There was a lot going on in this book. Such as what are the societal implications of autonomous, self-aware artificial life with programming that prevents them from harming humans? I was immediately reminded of the Three Laws of Robotics, by Asimov. But there is so much more going on here than Asimov dealt with.

Madeline Ashby's robots, or vNs (for Von Neumann), are not like any I've read about before. These are self-repairing creations, that
Jonathan Bergeron
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the library. I do wish authors made money on each time the book was checked out, then again there wouldn't be libraries if that was the deal with publishers. The reason why I love libraries is by wandering the aisles looking for that science fiction sticker (the St. Petersburg Library System puts "Science Fiction" stickers on the spines of sci-fi books) I come across gems every now and then. First it was Fortune's Pawn now it's vN.

If you're looking for military or A LOT of fighting, then
Megan Baxter
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
We are very close to letting computers/robots take over decision-making choices for us in very real ways, particularly when you think about self-driving cars. We know there will have to be an algorithm for how to avoid crashes, and if you can't, how to decide what happens. It's curious how little people are talking about Asimov's Three Rules for Robots, even as we see scare articles about cars being programmed to preferentially save the rich.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to
Mitticus
4.5

I need to defrag this

-RTC-

Mieneke
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2012

I've started and restarted this review about a half-dozen times. Not because I don't have anything to say about vN, because I assuredly do – when do I not? – but rather because I don't know where to start. There is so much to say about vN, from the characters to the basic premise, to the writing and the power of the story, it's hard to begin. So I'll jump in at the shallow end, my shallow end, and comment on the gorgeous cover. I'd already read the blurb for vN and I thought it sounded rather i
Andrew
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amy pinched the skin of her arms. If you couldn’t brag in the brig, where could you? “I’ve got fractal design memory in here. Even if I’m cut up, my body remembers how to repair itself perfectly. I’ll come back in one piece, no matter what.”

“Oh, believe me, dollface, I know. I’ve seen it happen. You put some vN shrapnel in the right culture, and it grows right back. Like cancer.” He snorted. “But whether what grows back is actually you? With all the memories, and all the adaptations? That’s like
Diayll
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans 18+
Shelves: read-by-heather
Originally Reviewed At:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher for Honest Review
Reviewer: Heather

vN is a very interesting, and fresh take on science fiction. At least it was for me, you know the woman who loves to watch Star Trek, Doctor Who, and tons of sci-fi movies. But let me tell you a bit more about the book before I give you my complete honest opinion and reaction.

First off, vN is short for von Neumann, which is essentially a robot with artificial intelli
Shaheen
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of Asimov but entirely new in the way it handles the idea of intelligent, artificial life, vN explores the lives future synthetic beings can expect to live. Like Asimov’s robots, Ashby’s vN (von-Neumann humanoid robots) are subject to a failsafe: witnessing human pain can result in sever malfunctions, or death. And like Asimov, Ashby shows us how terrible this fate can be.

After a violent attack at Amy’s kindergarten graduation at the hands of her grandmother, whom she eats in defence
Ken
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I was so excited about Madeline Ashby's vN when I first read the short story, The Education of Junior Number 12 at http://angryrobotbooks.com/vnshort/ back in Christmas. The short story provides a good foundation to the world of vN and I highly recommend you to read it before the book as it gives you a better insight into the character of Javier.

Like the androids in Spielberg's A.I., the Von Neumann machines (vN for short) are used for pretty much everything that you can imagine. Some people tru
Mikki
Impossible to put down. It's been ages since I've picked up an honest-to-goodness sci-fi book with actual robots in it, and this is a sweet and clever return. It's amazingly heartfelt, for a story about artificial human beings, but it never moralizes and makes you feel like you just sat through a Sunday school lesson about humanity. "Show, don't tell" is the rule and this book does it well, especially considering the vast amount of backstory relevant to the setting.

In an age where robotics have
Lex
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Um... I really don't know what to say about this book. It's not that I don't like it but I don't love it either. Somewhere in between that. I guess, it's an okay book for me.

As I have mentioned before, I'm a Computer Engineering graduate but still some of the words are lost to me and swallowing me whole. I don't even remember completely the scenes that happened. It's like a wind that just run past me, I think. It's really a weird book with all the eating your granny and then there's the weird wa
Osiris
Amy tiene 5 años y va al kinder, se pasa el día jugando con sus juguetes, imaginando ciudades y casas, jugando con su padre Jake y a también con su madre Charlotte, tiene un compañero de clases que está enamorado de ella (como se puede estar en el kinder) y una maestra que se preocupa por la alimentación de Amy, y también, Amy es un vN, un androide von Neumann al igual que su madre, de hecho es igual que su madre (y su abuela, y quien vino antes), puesto que son replicantes.

La idea de androides
Amy
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I admit it: this low rating is mostly due to reader failure. I'm just not a science-fiction person, when it comes right down to it. I much prefer drama with a sci-fi overlay (a la Doctor Who and The Saga of Seven Suns), and vN is more sci-fi with a sci-fi overlay. Ashby does a great job describing the world and the science--I was never lost, could easily imagine everything, and the laws and rules of her world make sense. It's sci-fi, but not crazy hard sci-fi.

That said, the most problematic issu
Allison
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Welp, the cat just deleted the paragraph I had written, but basically, a very well-done novel about a future with both humans and humanoid robots that can self-replicate. I loved the added touch of there being multiple corporations/individuals creating their own robot prototypes with different drives, etc. For example, the von Neumann androids that form the backbone of the narrative were originally created by a religious cult and are all programmed to care for humans in need, leading them to (us ...more
Kededra
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm bouncing between 2 and 3 stars. The author did an excellent job of building a world that readers could visualize and the story itself was interesting. However, the story gets bogged down by all the technical jargon. I wouldn't recommend it to those that don't have the slightest interest in sci-fi.
Alexa
It wasn't when the idea was introduced of a girl who was starved in order to imitate the process of a growing human child. Or even when she met a pedophile who did this to his "wife."

It wasn't until Amy met Rory (so to speak), the robot who developed her diet plan, and she thought to herself, "Each of Rory's ro-bento pings maintained this same level of cheeriness and delight, as though starving yourself was just the most fun thing in the world and you should be happy to do it for your parents.
Amanda
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, scifi, series, ai
I am pleased to say that this book gets it mostly right. It’s enjoyable, scientifically minded, culturally thought-provoking, and examines a real life issue in the context of genre, which long-time readers of this blog know is something I highly enjoy.

The first thing that made me know this is a smart book is the source of the robots (called Von Neumanns after their creator). A fundamentalist group in the American South decided that the humans left behind after Jesus’ Second Coming should have so
Bruce
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-ficton
When Amy eats her grandmother, she suddenly goes from being a young girl to a full adult. This is a character-driven coming-of-age story. Quirky and strange and bizarre, but also fun.

vN deals with the struggles of growing up in a different environment and a unique way. Painful topics can be seen in a different light; difficult issues can be seen from a new angle. The threatening becomes a little less threatening.

The plot moved in fits and starts. Ideas came out of nowhere and without any prepa
Tabitha (Pabkins)
I hope you're hungry because vN will definitely give you a lot to chew on!  The main character Amy is a young robot - but not the typical image that likely first pops into your mind of some metal robot.  These robots pretty much look just like humans, have skin (though flawless), bleed, eat, etc.  They give birth or "iterate" in a similar way that humans do (you'll have to read to find out how).  Their offspring are babies and grow as they feed on raw materials, but they look like exact copies o ...more
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • Bone Wires
  • Brambleman
  • The Ballad of Bad Jack (Slab City Blues #4)
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume Two (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.2)
  • Snap
  • House of Corruption
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
  • I Know Not (The Legacy of Fox Crow, #1)
  • The Corpse-Rat King
  • Three John Silence Stories
  • Empty Space (Empty Space Trilogy #3)
  • Intrusion
  • Blood Rush (Demimonde, #2)
  • Suited (The Veiled Worlds, #2)
  • The Prophet (Shepherd #2)
  • Natural History
Madeline Ashby is a science fiction writer and strategic foresight consultant living in Toronto. She has been writing fiction since she was about thirteen years old. (Before that, she recited all her stories aloud, with funny voices and everything.) Her fiction has appeared in Nature, Tesseracts, Escape Pod, FLURB, the Shine Anthology, and elsewhere. Her non-fiction has appeared at BoingBoing.net, ...more
More about Madeline Ashby...

The Machine Dynasty (3 books)
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • reV (The Machine Dynasty, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
“She belongs with me, not to me.” 5 likes
“Charlotte leveled him with a glare the likes of which he had never seen in synthetic women. It seemed to penetrate his every cell, as though she were watching him decay one picosecond at a time” 4 likes