Start by marking “Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II” as Want to Read:
Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II

Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II

History has known no monarch like her. She has traveled farther than all her predecessors put together and lived longer than any of them. She has known more historic figures than anyone alive—from Churchill to Mandela, de Gaulle to Obama.

Now, the distinguished royal writer Robert Hardman has been granted special access to the world of Queen Elizabeth II to produce this ent
Published April 1st 2012 by Pegasus Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Her Majesty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Majesty

Meg
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
Not a biography at all, but a wonderfully wonky account of the inside workings of the various offices that keep the monarchy running and how they've changed over the decades.
Carol
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just in time for the Jubilee and the London Olympics, a sympathetic portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II by a knowledgeable journalist and longtime royal-watcher. I checked this one out of the library by mistake, having confused it with "Elizabeth the Queen," which is a scholarly biography. This book is dissimilar -- it is chatty, very British (some of the slang expressions and references to popular television shows quite baffled me), concentrates on the present-day monarch, and is more informal and ...more
David
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Her Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II and her Court by Robert Hardman provides an overview and analysis of Queen Elizabeth II, her reign, and the many changes and reforms that have transpired over her sixty years on the throne.

Well chosen photographs illustrate the Queen's activities including
opening Parliament, Trooping the Colour, visiting a mosque, at the National Stud in Ireland, Garter Day, a state dinner at Windsor, and at a G-20 summit. My favorite photos are welcoming home a wounded soldier, a
Alise (Read Write Repeat)
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read my full thoughts on my blog.

"Considering my lifelong love of British royal history, I found myself surprised by how much I learned from Her Majesty...Hardman demonstrates the breadth of the Queen's activities, the modern role of the royal family and how it has developed, and the significance of the Commonwealth.

Hardman was granted several key interviews which made the book not only more reputable, but also more enjoyable for us royalists. Prince Andrew - Duke of York and the Queen's second
Emily
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
As the author states, the thoughts and feelings of the Queen will come out when access to her papers and journals are available. Unfortunately, that will not happen until the Queen dies.
After reading this, I have a better understanding of the monarchy and the way it works. That part was fascinating, as was the information about the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh's marriage and relationship. I think the Queen sounds like a fascinating woman, with a lot to offer the world.
It is not a fast read,
Nancy Doran
I liked this book. It was interesting and informative. Goota love the Queen!
Becki
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This book took me forever to read. I’m not entirely sure why, because it was interesting. I did have a few times I had to wait to get it back from the library.
This is not so much a biography of the Queen and her life as it is a biography for her reign. Organized by topic (prime ministers, royalist vs republic debates, foreign interactions, etc.) instead of chronologically, it was a good format.
I learned quite a bit and enjoyed the reading.
Natalie
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
I don't read many biographies but thought that this biography on the Queen's reign was a very good read. I know this isn't an official biography since that won't happen until her death. However, I did feel like it was very enlightening about the British Monarchy and the work that the Queen does in all aspects of her realms.
Theresa
Loved it!
Sandy Tucker
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and informative read

I really enjoyed this book. It is quite mind boggling to see everything this marvelous woman has done and seen since she became Queen and before that.
Amy
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
We shelve this in Biography, and yet, this is not a biography in the true sense of the word. Rather, it is a history of the monarchy and how it and the members of Elizabeth's Court have evolved since she became Queen.

A couple of chapters in this book were extremely interesting. I loved reading about "Her People" -- the men and women who work in this "corporation" to ensure that everything works and runs the way it's supposed to. The people who work for the Monarchy -- the Chefs, Footmen, Maids,
Kathy
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, you can see that it took me about two years to read this book, because I only read it on my Kindle when I was using the elliptical or stationary bike at the gym. Now you know how often I've been to the gym in the past two years.
Having lived in England for two years, including at the time of the Queen's Silver Jubilee, I'm a fan, and I enjoyed learning all about the official lives of Elizabeth and the royal family. This book focuses on tons of details, both historical and contemporary. For
Robbie Hadley
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I'm giving this a 4 star is just because it was hard for me to read. I mean, it was a good book, it was just hard to make myself keep reading at times. Otherwise, it's filled with great info about the monarchy that I didn't know before. It was great to find out exactly how the British monarchy works, great insight into some of the things Queen Elizabeth II does and how she does what she does. It's far from a biography of her life, but it does give you a good look at how she has s ...more
Noel
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She is 60 years on the job, so it is interesting to read an (almost) insider's description of how The Queen does her job, and how the strangely flexible unwritten British Constitution works with hereditary monarchy as its Head of State rather than an elected presidency. Fascinating, lots of interesting tidbits about HM and the Royal family, and not the usual trashy gossip from the Fleet street tabloids. Stories are interspered with interview snippets from her nearest and dearest.

Still, she can't
Marion Yarbrough
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tedious read especially for a non-Brit

I suppose the author didn't realize how much interest there might be in the royal family in the USA. He did get across to this reader at least what a marvel this monarch is and how very good she has been for Great Britain and it's Commonwealth.
Traci
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A strong defense of the Monarch as well as her relatives, it presupposes a certain amount of knowledge and familiarity with royal titles and lingo which was occasionally frustrating. I expected something more like a traditional chronological biography, but instead it's more an analysis of where things currently stand through a historic lens.
Iris
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional Monarch

I have read several biographies of Queen Elizabeth In. This one is well written and goes far beyond the tabloid style of some royal biographies. I found the section on government and the prime ministers slow going.
Renee
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because my friend is a fan of all things British and I thought I'd join the club. Certainly it was enlightening, but it was also very, very long and somewhat repetitious. Not a bad book at all; it just covered way more than I needed to know.
Elmira
Jul 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: history
I only got to page 13, but the writing was so apallingly bad that I couldn't get any further. I'd like to know much more about Elizabeth II and the details of her reign that I am too young to remember, but I'll search for a better book on the subject.
Dave Milbrandt
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author has great access to the Royal Family and it shows. While the narrative is thematically focused rather than strictly linear, the details are excellent. I also enjoyed that it was written for a British audience and the I had to work a little to keep up on the slang, which is always fun.
ladywallingford
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This book was good in that it outlined the role of Elizabeth II as a constitutional monarch in the here and now. However, it was a bit dry and slow going in a couple of spots. My favorite chapter in fact was the one on Prince Philip. He sounds like an interesting individual.
Hannah Roache
Jun 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely boring

I expected to see more personal glimpses of the life of the Queen. Instead I found a boring grocery list of her duties.
Carl Roache
Teresa R.
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not your typical biography. gives a good overview/history/understanding of the British monarchy under Elizabeth.
Anne Armstrong
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

Very well written but fact filled book about Queen Elizabeth and he family. I was never a big royals fan, but what an amazing woman!
Melissa
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read. Explains things so people can understand the monarchy. Queen Elizabeth is a great lady!
Barbara
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the details of the life of the royals. Talk about different!
Kim Sheehan
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about how the monarchy is responding to changing times.
Luvs2read
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
While kind of a paean to the queen, a very interesting behind-the-scenes look at the history of Elizabeth's reign and the day-to-day events in her world.
Dara
Nov 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Suggests the Queen should receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Five out of five stars on the fawning scale.
Cat Higgins
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Long and repetitive but not bad.

• Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Royal Marriage
  • The Reluctant King: The Life and Reign of George VI, 1895-1952
  • The Splendid Century: Life in the France of Louis XIV
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
  • The Queen: A Biography of Elizabeth II
  • Princes at War: The Bitter Battle Inside Britain's Royal Family in the Darkest Days of WWII
  • Grant's Final Victory: Ulysses S. Grant's Heroic Last Year
  • Shooting Victoria: Madness, Mayhem, and the Rebirth of the British Monarchy
  • Prince of Pleasure: George IV and the Making of the Regency
  • The Magnificent Medills: America's Royal Family of Journalism During a Century of Turbulent Splendor
  • At Home with the Queen
  • Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne
Robert Hardman has covered aspects of royal life for more than twenty years and is the writer of both the film and the book Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work as well as Her Majesty: The Court of Elizabeth II, also available from Pegasus Books. He writes for the Daily Mail in London.
“She sleeps well, she’s got very good legs and she can stand for a long time. The Queen is as strong as a yak.” 1 likes
“From the First World War to his death eighteen years later, George V spent just eight weeks abroad. George VI travelled widely as Duke of York but for much of his reign his capacity for travel was curtailed by war and ill health. The Queen, who had never left the country until shortly before her twenty-first birthday, has visited 135 separate nations, some of them several times. And yet she had to wait until she was eighty-five to visit the nearest of the lot – the Republic of Ireland – in May 2011.” 0 likes