Start by marking “The Book of Summers: The Richard and Judy Bestseller” as Want to Read:
The Book of Summers: The Richard and Judy Bestseller

The Book of Summers: The Richard and Judy Bestseller

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,647 Ratings  ·  304 Reviews
Beth Lowe has been sent a parcel.

Inside is a letter informing her that her long-estranged mother has died, and a scrapbook Beth has never seen before. Entitled The Book of Summers, it's stuffed with photographs and mementos complied by her mother to record the seven glorious childhood summers Beth spent in rural Hungary.
It was a time when she trod the tightrope between se
Published March 1st 2012 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Summers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Summers

Blair
I am giving this a generous rating, because I'm in a generous mood, and the weather has been beautiful lately (although I say this just as the temperature has dropped 10 degrees and it's started raining), and this book - as the title would suggest - is perfect for long, hot, sunny days.

Beth (short for Erzsébet) is an ordinary single woman of about 30, living in London with a scatty flatmate and a nice job in an art gallery. Her life seems fairly uneventful, but we know from the beginning that sh
Jane
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All week I've been carrying The Book of Summers with me, and opening it whenever I could so that I could be transported into another world.

First there was London, where thirty-year old Beth worked in an art gallery and lived a quiet life. The details of her world, her life, her situation were so well drawn that I was pulled in straight away.

Beth's equilibrium was disturbed by a visit from her father. They had been close when she was a child and he was bringing her up alone, she remembered that w
Marleen
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I realized then that I’d tried so hard to forget the big things, that all the little things had gone too.”

For twenty years Beth Low has suppressed memories of her mother, Marika, and Hungary. Then her father visits her in London and gives her a package with Hungarian stamps on it. Inside she finds a letter, telling her that Marika has died and an album filled with photos. Photos capturing the seven summers during with Beth visited Hungary.
Beth isn’t sure that she wants to revisit the past she
Andrea
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Bien.

¡Es curioso cómo a veces nuestra relación con un libro depende tanto del momento en que lo leemos!
Empecé esta novela en Agosto, en unas semanas en las que tenía muchas ganas de leer a buen ritmo y esta historia se me atragantaba. Parecía que no terminaba de cogerle el punto. Tanto que decidí aparcarlo por un tiempo. Ayer mismo lo retomé y las trescientas páginas que me quedaban por delante solo me han durado 24 horas. Sin duda, a veces el momento en el que cogemos un libro es tan importante
Laraemilie
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Book of Summers caught my eye a long time ago, on the Waterstones' shelf, along with other summer reads. The back cover promised a trip to exotic Hungary, full of vivid descriptions and family mysteries and I must admit that, after eventually finishing it, I am rather disappointed.
Everything starts in England, when Beth receives a letter from Hungary, telling her that her mother Marika has died. With it comes the Book of Summers, which contains photographs of the seven wonderful holidays she
Lindsay
Debut novelist Emylia Hall has taken inspiration from family holidays to rural Hungary during her childhood and woven these memories with her own imaginings to create a truly beautiful, heartfelt book.

In the novel, we meet Beth Lowe in the present day, living in London and working in an art gallery. Her father has come to visit her, and has brought with him a package for Beth that has been delivered to her back home in Devon. On opening it, and unwrapping The Book of Summers, she opens up the do
Liz Barnsley
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth Lowe has been sent a parcel.
Inside is a letter informing her that Marika, her long-estranged mother has died. There is a scrapbook Beth has never seen before. Entitled The Book of Summers, it’s stuffed with photographs and mementos compiled by her mother to record the seven glorious childhood summers Beth spent in rural Hungary.

The Book of Summers is a wonderful evocative tale of childhood memories brought back to life through unexpected means and the effect this has on the present day.

Beth
Judy
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick and compelling read, very atmospheric - the coming-of-age tale of a girl torn between two worlds. Erszi is the daughter of a separated couple, a quiet, reserved English father and a passionate, artistic Hungarian mother. However, gradually it becomes apparent that all the characters involved are more complex than the national sterotypes on the surface.

The story unfolds in retrospect after heroine Erzsi is sent a scrapbook of photographs compiled by her long-estranged mother, Mar
A Miuda Geek
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Mais uma leitura apenas ok.

Conta a história de uma menina que vai para a Hungria passar férias com a sua mãe,uma vez que os seus pais são divorciados e o pai é inglês, e ficou com a sua custódia. Ela passa 7 verões perfeitos até a grande revelação se dar. E a sua relação com qualquer deles não volta a ser a mesma.

Achei a história muito cheia dos clichés da menina dividida entre o seu pai muito british e frio, mas que a adora e a mãe excentrica e exótica, que larga tudo e todos para ir viver para
Blodeuedd Finland
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a beautifully written book. It got me hooked with its language and style, and I could not put it down.

I want to say so many pretty things, but I am at a loss for words so... it was great prose. Done!

Beth gets a book from her mother in Hungary, and we learn what happened, why she stopped going there at 16. Each beautiful summer from 10 to 16 is told, and it makes it sounds like a magical happy place filled with sunshine and laughter.

But something went wrong, why does she still think abou
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Book of Summers 1 2 Jul 09, 2012 05:33AM
  • The Secrets Between Us
  • The Blasphemer
  • Jubilee
  • Yesterday's Sun
  • Next of Kin (Scott Finn #4)
  • This Perfect World
  • Painter of Silence
  • Kept in the Dark
  • Marilyn & Me: A Photographer's Memories
  • The Greatcoat
“I never got to tell him again that he really was wrong, that miles didn’t matter, not if you loved someone. That borders and oceans weren’t obstacles, not for the mind. I wished I’d been able to tell him these things, because saying them out loud to someone real, instead of a mirror or a picture postcard, would have made them all the more convincing.” 14 likes
“If the skies were to fall, we'd have a chance of catching them.” 5 likes