Start by marking “A Beginner's Guide to Investing: How to Grow Your Money the Smart and Easy Way” as Want to Read:
A Beginner's Guide to Investing: How to Grow Your Money the Smart and Easy Way

A Beginner's Guide to Investing: How to Grow Your Money the Smart and Easy Way

Published (first published July 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Beginner's Guide to Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beginner's Guide to Investing

Start your review of A Beginner's Guide to Investing: How to Grow Your Money the Smart and Easy Way
Adil Najmuddin
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction for beginners stepping into the world of investing. You can judge how well a book is written by how many times you have to reread a sentence or paragraph for it to make sense. Well, I didn't have to go back once! Alex Frey did a fantastic job explaining seemingly-esoteric investment concepts in a easy-to-follow manner without "dumbing it down". Glad I read this book and I recommend it to all who want to get a better grasp on their financial future.
Alexis Chateau
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best book I've ever read on investing and highly recommend it. So, why am I giving it for 4 stars instead of 5? Typos abound, especially in the middle of the book. Other than that, great read!
Andrés Salazar
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A simplified version of The Intelligent Investor. I would recommend.
Jennifer Mulsow
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finally, retirement planning and investing makes sense to me, and it is even somewhat interesting.

I really liked all the analogies the author uses like training for a marathon, the umbrella salesman, and cooking vs dining out for dinner.
Lisa Powell
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for beginners, easy to read in layman terms.
Jean
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Informative guide and encyclopedia for beginner investors

If you don't know what an index fund is, the strengths of different IRAs, or the benefits of a "lockbox" investing strategy, this book is for you. Just by itself this book contains a wealth of information for a beginner investor, but it goes the extra mile by providing a multitude of outside sources.

I've taken a star off because I did not understand why the author would suggest using 5-15% of one's savings to play the stock market, when t
Jungi Hong
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very quick and practical guide. I've been investing for 3.5 years but I'd like to rearrange my investing habits with more knowledge and this book definitely helped, especially with considering interest, dividends, and how spending changes over a lifetime. I know, super simple aspects, but now I'm figuring out changing my asset allocation. I'd like to eventually be able to sit in a room of bullion and Benjamins and swim through them like Scrooge McDuck, that I would.

ALSO: In the context of these
Moh
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good introduction into various areas of investment

I recently had my first baby and I figured it's a good reason for me to learn about investments. I really liked how simple the language in this book is. It covers just enough details that allow me to not look like an idiot when listening to investment advice.
The book does seem more biased towards ETFs and makes some good points along the way.
It was also an enjoyable read with minimal redundancy. Would strongly recommend it to folks who want
Amber McIlraith
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great introduction for beginning investors.

This book does a great job explaining terms, providing example situations, and investment comparisons. It also provides several links and other print resources so that you can gain a better understanding about each chapter's focused content. Another tool is the detailed glossary at the end if you need a vocabulary refresher. Some information is n/a for US expats and the book doesn't identify this discrepancy when identifying possible investment options.
Jeanne Daly
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book on investing for the beginner or average investor who wants to increase their knowledge and increase their wealth. I would say this book is geared to the younger investor but people of any age will find it helpful and filled with lots of advice to make your portfolio work for you. This book is a keeper and it will stay on my shelf so I can refer to it from time to time when I need some help.
Brent Randolph
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though written a few years ago, I found this book to be very educational for someone who has no education in the stock market and long-term investing. Having been an individual who has spent many years in full-time ministry, I overlooked the idea of long-term investments and preparation for retirement and find myself having to play catch-up. This short 10-chapter book has provided me with the much-needed process of diving into this daunting task.
David Law
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good introductory book for different kind of investment options available in the USA. It is a very easy read for a newbie who is intimidated by all the fancy terminology in the investment world. Easy to understand example and simple the language.

One downside is I find this book is a bit bias toward 'safer' investment option like ETFs and bonds which doesn't necessarily teach the more complicated investment options.
Arthur Spiess
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quick and interesting read for absolute beginners. Some concrete information on discount brokers is outdated, nowadays there are much cheaper ones as suggested in the book (Robinhood). Although this booked is written for US, you can still profit from it as a European (just skip the chapter on 401ks). Overall good introduction to the subject.
Heather
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku-read
This was book two I read on my beginner's journey to learning about investing, and I found it helpful. It's a quick read that lays out practical basics in an easy to understand way. The advertised extra content wasn't available when I read the book (May 2018) but the website may be back up later. It's a pretty straightforward beginner's book.
Christine
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a nice little reference for what certain terms mean and how certain systems work. I liked it for it's simplicity and how quickly they moved on to the next topic without trying to just fill up pages.
Karen
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A straightforward explainer for the basics of investing and retirement savings in about 100 pages. Covers what's most important to know without getting bogged down in obfuscating detail & cites reliable sources. Recommended to anyone who wants a solid grasp of fundamental ideas. ...more
Gabriel
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The title says it all

The book does a very good job of explaining the basic principles of investing in a clear, concise way. The ideas are well organized and the author present his ideas on a simple, clear way.
Lady K
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read for those who are new to investing. It's pretty straight forward and I love how the author provides you with further reading materials and examples that you can use to build your own portfolio, whether you plan to manage it on your own or with a broker.
Leah N Garcia
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read for beginners

A great read for beginners that want knowledge with retirement, investing, developing assets, understanding verbiage of financial institutions, and controlling your financial future.
Kath
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very quick and simple overview to investing. It has a lot of follow up reading which I like. I am not a US citizen, so much of the information wasn't applicable. But nontheless good to solidify my understanding of the principles of investing.
Jim Clifford
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and simple. It unashamedly an introduction, and nothing more, but a thorough and easy one that lays out all the basics and gives you both immediate action steps while directing you to where to dive in deeper.
Jessica Ni
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve had difficulties learning about investing because the topic is quite convoluted but Frey explains them very well. His writing is very clear. The end was a little confusing because it was my first time hearing about diversification but I’ll definitely refer back to this book when I’m older.
J. Danielle Wingler
Great way to learn about the different major investing concepts. The additional resources/further reading after every chapter is a plus as well--I'm going back to check them out.
Tommy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and Sweet

I liked that it was short enough to not become boring. A lot of information is common sense, but it is good to have another source reinforce what you should know.
Marcus Greene
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of a field. Great balance of technical, applicable, and theoretical. Going to reread.
Pushkar Joglekar
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: investing
A no-nonsense book for rational investor

In summary, the many bookmarks and highlights for me while reading, prove its worth. Also, surprisingly a faster read than expected.
Michaelmelton
A very good book to read !

It's a very good book o
n investing in stocks !
That's why I gave it five stars ! Ok
Goran Segrt
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great overview and summary

Great overview and summary of the investment fundamentals - I will give the tips a try as well as a good look on the homepage and newsletters
Lisa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I couldn’t get into this one. The Bach ones are much easier to digest for those that are really not interested but forcing themselves to learn.
Erica Heiden
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy read, digestible information, actionable advice
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Wealth Unbroken: Growing Wealth Uninterrupted by Market Crashes, Taxes, and Even Death
  • Medicare For The Lazy Man 2020: Simplest & Easiest Guide Ever!
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Pooches, Pumpkins, and Poison (Pooch Party #1)
  • The Devil and the Dark Water
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Low, Vol. 1: The Delirium of Hope
  • Low, Vol. 2: Before the Dawn Burns Us
  • The Taken (Foxcraft, #1)
  • Big Nate Makes a Splash (amp! Comics for Kids)
  • Super Amoeba (Squish, #1)
  • I Smell a Pop Quiz! (Big Nate)
  • Piano Adventures Performance Book, Level 2B
  • Comics Squad: Recess! (Comics Squad, #1)
  • Immortal Guardians (Spirit Animals: Fall of the Beasts, #1)
  • Big Nate Boredom Buster: Super Scribbles, Cool Comix, and Lots of Laughs
  • Spirit Animals: The Book of Shane #1

News & Interviews

“saving habits, and where Average Joe went” 1 likes
“Diversifying your investments allows you to earn greater returns without taking on more risk, or equivalently to take less risk without sacrificing any returns.” 0 likes