Start by marking “A Wealth of Unsaid Words” as Want to Read:
A Wealth of Unsaid Words

A Wealth of Unsaid Words

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2011 Advent Calendar collection I'll Be Home for Christmas.

Alex has always known his bipolar disorder made him too flawed for his boyhood hero, Everett. So when his feelings for Everett became overwhelming, he forced a separation that saddened them both but gave Alex the clarity he needed. Now a year has passed, and he and Everett are to
Published December 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Wealth of Unsaid Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wealth of Unsaid Words

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Thank you. Just...thank you.

To say that this story of a bipolar man, the people he loves and the people who love him, resonated with me would be an understatement. When R. Cooper wrote this story she created something so beautiful and poetically, painfully, accurate.

As someone who is bipolar, I understood Alex. The author captured with such clarity the shame that comes with not being able to control yourself. The feelings of self-loathing and unworthiness. The guilt of feeling like a burden. Th
Lauraadriana
This was poetic. No other way to say it. I knew this story would be touching, but it did more than that, it undid me. My goodness what sweetness.

Alex has struggled with mental illness his whole life, he has been in very dark places. His only, constant light has been Everett's friendship, and the love of Everett's family. Everett loves Alex. Alex loves Everett, so much, with everything, but with the regret that he's not healthy enough to ever deserve him. That losing Everett can never be worth ha
Karen Wellsbury
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to stand on my soapbox and tell everyone what a terrific writer R Cooper is. I really enjoyed the first 2 Beings in Love books, but this book was so beautiful it totally floored me.

Its a Christmas themed one, but honestly that doesn't matter, because its about love - love for the family you're born with, the one you make, loving yourself and being a better person for those you love.

Its really a simple story, Alex is a manic depressive, and has loved Everett since he was 12, Alex has been
Josy
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Josy by: Karen
A get-well gift from the best cyber-momma ever! Thank you so much, Karen :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ 4.5 stars ~

This was such a great book and I loved it to pieces!

I'll admit that the writing style is unusual and it took me a while to get into it. I don't know if another book with another MC written in the same style would work for me. In this case, though, it was perfect. Sometimes, the writing seemed choppy and chaotic with sentences that at first didn't make much sense. But
Ami

I have a problem rating this book. There are some poetic words, some heart-felt moments, and most definitely some moments that just made my eyes go all watery. Especially if I imagine the struggle that Alex must've experienced, suffering from bipolar disorder (he prefers the term manic-depressive), yearning for the constant in his life, that is his best friend Everett -- unable to say how sorry he is about his situation and can only say it through his poems. Then, deciding that he needs
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
It's always tricky for me when an author writes about an individual with a manic-depressive personality. I feel this way because a lot of my life is surrounded by people like that so when it comes to reading about them I nitpick the book and can't help but think it's nothing like that at all.

This story, however, I felt like it showed more along the right lines of what someone with such a personality really acts like. The book was chaotic but, to me, it felt exactly how someone with a manic-depr
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions

Just because you have a character with a disability/illness does not a good story make

The first 20% was so confusing with all the names and with the whiplash from current scene to flashing back to random memories. I think around 20% I started getting who people were but the random memories kept popping up the whole story and they were distracting and I never really got into the story.

It was pretty uneventful nothing really happened. There was an interesting conversation about his poetry around
MsMiz (Tina)
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, glbt-all
R. Cooper wrote an excellent story where you will feel Alex, his illness and his story. At one point, I thought 'I feel like I am reading under water;, that is how deep the writing went. Alex's illness and the impact it had on himself and those that loved him was so well done, so well done.

While this story was over a two day period at Christmas, it was so much more than a Christmas story. Alex had set a deadline this Christmas and now it was time to see if all his work paid off. Read the story
Tess
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it

This was a well-written, almost poetic shorter story but it just didn't work as well for me. I think I just find books about mental illness a little harder to read and enjoy.
namericanwordcat
I love R Cooper's writing and this is an engrossing tale of a couple coming together at Christmas time.

The bi polar disorder that shaped one heroes life comes into play in a powerful way in this love story.

Copper writes in deep point of view with lyrical language. I often love it but some times it is suffocating. This novella wanders into not giving me enough outside to breath.

I liked it but I needed more room and scope.
Relly
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 ⭐

I thought this one was well written. I liked all the character in this one.
The communication style, while in some books can irritate me, made sense in this one, especially with Alex’s bipolar.
Mandapanda
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Touching Christmas story about a man with bipolar disease who meets up with his best friend after a year of deliberate separation to see if he can make it on his own. I love the intense wordy style of this author. The half-sentences, insecurities and interruptions that prolong the HEA for as long as possible really feed my preference for a slow-burn romance, although I know they can be frustrating to some readers. But it's always worth it in the end as the heroes come together in some of the mos ...more
Sadonna
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, pdf, holidays, anthology
Stunningly beautiful. The hell and hope of mental illness strikingly described. The fragility of Alex's "sanity" and life brilliantly expressed. Ultimately about the strength and power of love and hope. Amazing. Touching. Painful. Beautiful. Poetic. I LOVED this.
Shelby
Wow, this was brilliant. I actually decided to read this book based on the blurb as I’ve discovered I really enjoy books where mc’s are struggling with some sort of disability. I like knowing that they’re not perfect, that they have issues they have to overcome to find the love we all want for ourselves. So knowing that Alex was bipolar made this book even more interesting for me. I was not disappointed in the least. This surpassed my expectations and gave me a truly heartfelt Christmas story.

Al
Bea
Do you like holiday themed stories? Usually we see this in an anthology as a short story or novella and the environment of family, love and redemption, and new beginnings are common.

This week I was in the mood for something a little more complex than just a basic “feel good” romance story. In A Wealth of Unsaid Words, R. Cooper adds a bittersweet facet by using mental illness as a source of conflict and character development.

Basic Plot:

It is a year since Alex has last been with his best friend
Serena Yates
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
This is a pretty amazing story about yearning, and wanting, and loving from afar until the time finally seems right for need to change into action. Written in an almost poetic style, the story grabbed me within the first few pages and swept me along on a wave of emotion that left me breathless.

Alex, as the narrator, is the one who provides perspective on the history between him and Everett. It is an interesting point of view, since he struggled with being bipolar for years before figuring out ho
Erika
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Too short! R. Cooper blew me away once again. Loved it.
I'm a little mixed in how I feel about this one. The characters were very real, but I don't feel as emotionally invested as I usually do when it comes to R Cooper's works. I did get a little misty eyed at the end when Alex was talking about when he was 12, but other than that, I almost felt like I was reading to finish rather than enjoying the experience. It did get better about halfway through and the flow seemed improved, but overall, not one of my favorites.
Alby Krebs
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lendable-kindle
I want to review this more fully, but I was blown away with this novella. It was lyrical and beautifully crafted. I adored Cooper's Play It Again, Charlie, and I am slowly going through this author's backlist.
Meggie
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, christmas
The story was warm and full of feelings. More specific, feelings of yearning and wishing for something deeper, stronger.
The start was a bit strange but I was soon pulled into. And the end was sweet and romantic. I liked it.
Jilrene
Beautiful. Very well researched. Or perhaps the author has lived with a bipolar / manic depressive relative.
Snowtulip
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Lauraadriana
Shelves: m-m
Incredibly touching, I want to continue on the next stage of Alex and Everett's journey.
Julesmarie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday, m-m
This was gorgeously written. And just the most beautiful friends-to-lovers story ever. The feeling of melancholy and of opportunities missed or choices regretted was so powerful, though, that it also felt like a reunited/second chance story.

I prefer my holiday romance reads to be significantly more fluffy, but this was just so honest and raw-feeling and beautiful that I can't help but give it all of the stars.

Some Favorite Quotes:
Christmas. There was a power and magic in the word that allowed
Lindsay
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Misunderstanding but love

A book filled with want and yearning, you could feel it throughout the story of two people yearning for each other but unable to believe each was worth it to each other.
S.A. Crow
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, queer, novella
Another great story, loved the use of poetry within it (including half quotes that we don't get to see finished). A sense of unfolding, both in what is said (between them), and in how it is told (to us). Lovely.
Shelby
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alex's personality comes through so strongly in the narrative. It was a really enjoyable, emotional read, though a little more poetic than I typically care for.
Jes Jester
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an emotional read. From dealing with the MC's mental issues, and being on the sidelines while he denies the man who has loved him since they were kids is tough but worth it. Really enjoyed it.
Theodora IK
R Cooper is the master of pining. It's a lovely pain
Phaney
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
Ah, quality. I love it.
The writing is beautiful, although that beauty sometimes comes at the expense of clarity. It took me well over half of the book to get used to this, but by then it was worth the effort.

Right away the narration feels very unfocused, jumping around between impressions and topics even within the same sentence. Admittedly, that probably matches the way Alex’ mind functions. It certainly is realistic. But while it works for the narrator here, this is maybe not the most unconvol
Jinni
I truly loved this one because it was so beautifully written and centered on healing. Read my review!
« previous 1 3 next »

• No One Should Be Alone
  • A Trouble Halved
  • A Present in Swaddling Clothes
  • What Can Be
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales, #1)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Dulce et Decorum Est
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Eight Days
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
I'm a somewhat absentminded, often distracted, writer of queer romance. I'm probably most known for the Being(s) in Love series and the occasional story about witches or firefighters in love. Also known as, "Ah, yes, the one with the dragons."

Feel free to friend me on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr.

Twitter: @rispacooper
Facebook: @thealmightyris
Tumblr: sweetfirebird.tumblr.com

“Not want you?” His voice was rough. “Everett, I'd lay you down right now in this thin blanket of snow and take you.” Everett's eyes widened, but Alex's mind was racing, the images coming at him too quick for him to hold them back. “The cold air would touch you and then my mouth.” He moved back into Everett's space, and Everett groaned. “My hands. Naked, Everett. I could bite your long limbs and lick the grace from your words and shock the neighbors with what obscenities I'd drive from your lips.” 4 likes