Start by marking “Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners” as Want to Read:
Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners

Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners

A little girl is shopping in a grocery store when—surprise!—she meets a dinosaur. Don't worry. The dinosaur is very friendly. She's polite, too. In this funny story, told in lilting read-aloud rhyme, the girl has numerous opportunities to be helpful to the clumsy shopping dino and demonstrate when to say "thank you," "excuse me," "I'm sorry," "You're welcome," and other ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur

Start your review of Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners
Sandy Lee
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
The last thing we need is to worry about a dinosaur's body issues.
Storytime Chrissy
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dinosaurs, manners
This one was a big hit in storytime. Explaining that we were going to read about what you would do if you met a dinosaur in the grocery store was met with big, exaggerated noises of surprise and disbelief. The rhyming was 98% spot on - it flowed really well, it did some excellent leading, and allowed for a lot of audience engagement. Plenty of children knew the answers to the questions posed in the book - 'please' and 'thank you' and the like, there was some wonderful echoing, overall an ...more
FamousLeslie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I checked this out from our local library. When I read it to my daughter she asked me if I would buy it for her.
Kaila Anderson
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute little story about good manners. More like kindergarten- 1st grade level. Rhyming is a little off, but still cute though.
Sylvie Gold
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Clever rhymes and whimsical illustrations combine to create a story designed to reinforce appropriate manners in young children in a fun way. However, I can't help being disturbed by the fact that the main character appears to be a very little girl who is shopping all by herself in the supermarket and is being encouraged to talk to a stranger. For safety's sake, young children are taught not to talk to strangers, so the idea that this book intimates that it is appropriate for a young child by ...more
Joyce Ellis
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle captures the book's purpose: A First Book of Manners, but the vivid, adorable illustrations of child and dinosaur that are so expressive make manners fun to learn. Written in the second-person point of view (Suppose you...), the book speaks directly to the reader/listener. A humorous situation is followed by a question, such as "What should you say?" And then the little girl or dinosaur gives the correct answer--all with comical illustrations. What a wonderful introduction to ...more
Betsy
a cute book about manners in a rhyme-scheme fashion. Give it a read!
A fun rhyming introduction to basic manners for preschoolers. Several answers are very simple and make for fun audience engagement.
Katie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
Not my favorite manners book, but creates a nice question/answer formula for storytime.
I would probably substitute “worried it will make her fat,” to 'worried it would make her sick.'
Joseph
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A good book on manners for kids to have it read to them.
gina
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will literally read ANYTHING regarding manners right now. Monsters? Dinosaurs? Aliens? Gimme. If it has manners I will read it. At least this one is pretty cute!
Angela
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
While shopping at the grocery store, a little girl meets a dinosaur. A sweet story showing the how and when of good manners. Rhyming and humorous
Anthony
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
While at the grocery store a young girl, and a dinosaur paths cross, and they both display a form of good etiquette and manners as they each go about their shopping.
Kellie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Was good until the end when the dinosaur doesn’t want any candy because she’s “worried it will make her fat”
Pam
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely story manners. Easy to follow for younger readers.
Stacey
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
Cute, but I'm not sure it'll work for my preschoolers. I'm keeping it at hand, just in case.
Richie Partington
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: SUPPOSE YOU MEET A DINOSAUR: A FIRST BOOK OF MANNERS by Judy Sierra and Tim Bowers, ill., Knopf, January 2012, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-375-86720-0

"As prehistoric people began to react with one another, they learned to behave in ways that made life easier and more pleasant. Manners had a practical purpose."
-- from Oracle ThinkQuest, "How Etiquette Began"

"Imagine that the dinosaur
Is standing by a bathroom door.
You have to pee! She's in your way.
Quick! What's the proper thing to say?"

To
picturethisbook.com
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Manners are nice to have, but the process of instilling them can be kinda boring since more often than not, parents end up nagging their kids to mind their P's and Q's. To be fair, though, most kids don't mean to be rude — they're probably too preoccupied with having fun to remember the myriad dull rules that adults come up with.

Thus, Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur tries to make learning manners fun for the little ones — and it succeeds, too.

As the title suggests, the book proposes a fantastical
Becky
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: You're shopping at the grocery store. Surprise! You see a dinosaur. This doesn't happen every day. So, what are you supposed to say? Hello, I'm pleased to meet you.

Premise/plot: How well do you know your manners? This book supposes that you--the reader--are meeting a dinosaur at the grocery store. Each page reveals a new scenario. Rhyming clues may prompt readers to the right answer for each scenario.

Favorite quotes:

You want to buy some butter brickle. Yikes! You need another
Chelsey
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books that we chose, it was a book with underlying message for children but was still so simple and enjoyable, the illustrations and characters were so adorable and well-drawn, they gave life to the book and such great emotion to the characters. This book was about a little girl who goes into a grocery store and interacts with a dinosaur, they do things like bump into each other and giving each other banana chips but they also use their manners like please and thank ...more
Lauren Brink
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is about a young girl and a dinosaur that have numerous encounters at the grocery store. The story provides many scenarios at the grocery store where the little girl and the dinosaur use their manners. For example, the little girl has to go to the bathroom so she says, “excuse me” to the dinosaur. In addition to this, the dinosaur asks the little girl if she wants more banana chips and she responds, “yes, please.” Other manners used throughout the book are “I’m sorry,” “thank you,” “ ...more
Britta Krueger
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A small little girl meets a T-Rex at a grocery store one day. She models a polite way to interact with people and strangers. This book demonstrates common mannerisms that children should learn and know. Sierra uses friendly dialogue such as: “Your shopping cart begins to spin. It dings the dino on the shin. She roars a terrifying roar. What do you tell the dinosaur?” She brings comical dialogue and voice to teach young children simple phrases like 'please' and 'thank you.' This book is great for ...more
Jeri
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A plucky pig-tailed toddler and a pink horn-rimmed spectacle wearing tyrannosaurus rex exhibit perfect manners during their grocery store encounter.
An avalanche of apples in the produce aisle exhibits a “thank you” from the dinosaur when the little girl offers to pick them up for her. When the little girl loses control of her shopping cart in the cereal aisle, and dings the dino on the shin, she offers up her apologies, “I'm sorry.”
This duo's exchange of niceties while traipsing through the
Barbara
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
While grocery shopping, a young girl encounters a dinosaur in the aisles and at the check-out line. Both dinosaur and child have good manners, and know exactly what to say when they meet and when an accident occurs. The rhyming text makes this one fun to read aloud while also providing examples of when it is appropriate to say "please, "thank you," "no, thank you," or even "I'm sorry" or "excuse me." This is the perfect way to model good manners for youngsters, especially since it comes from a ...more
Beth
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We already know and love the dinosaur/manners books by Jane Yolen (How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? and all the others), and we’ve enjoyed other books by talented children’s author Judy Sierra (especially Wild About Books (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature) — put them together and you’ve got a great read! Cute illustrations, well-written rhymes, and a good moral in this one.
The Library Lady
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, this is a book with a purpose, noted right in the subtitle. But since it's done by Judy Sierra it's done with a lovely light touch and rhymes that work. The dinosaur is a motherly type, complete with pink retro glasses and a purse. This should do well both with dinosaur lovers and with the sort of parents who constantly want crappy "Berenstain Bear" morality fables--and you can hand it to them without a shudder.
Robin
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Somewhere in my travels, I ended up with a poster for this book. So before I affixed it to the wall in the Children's Library, I ordered the book. And, of course, I was quite pleased with this simple story about using manners (something that everyone should do, of course)illustrated with a large dinosaur who interacts with a young girl in the grocery store. The message here is: use your manners no matter what or who you meet!
Rochelle Sondae
The manners may have been overlooked by my 3 year old boy cousin as he was more interested in the wondrously silly pictures by Tim Bowers. I'm pretty sure our Aunt owned a pair of glasses just like the ones the dinosaur is wearing. It's a great read aloud thanks to the rhyming text by Judy Sierra. In fact we read it a few times and got more animated with each telling. The little guy loves to be dramatic and tried to engage me in reenacting the scenes so maybe the manners did sink in a bit.
Caranna
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
This sweet story, with it's fun illustrations and lilting read-aloud rhyming, is a great way to teach young children about manners.

A little girl meets a polite dinosaur at the grocery store. Throughout their encounters at the store the little girl and dino exchange niceties and demonstrate when it's proper (and polite) to use terms like: "Thank you," "Excuse me," "I'm sorry," and "You're welcome."
Tara
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book seemed like a knock off of Jane Yolen's "How Do Dinosaurs...?" series, but not as well illustrated or written. If you are looking for a manners/behavior book featuring dinosaurs, I would recommend those instead. Also, I cringed a little at the line where the dinosaur refused to eat something because it would make her look fat. Really? There wasn't any other scenario Sierra could create to illustrate the use of "no thank you"?

« previous 1 3 next »

• Night-Night, Forest Friends
  • Sally Sheep's New Nibbles: A Touch and Feel Book
  • The Thankful Book
  • Cars Galore
  • I Love My Mommy Because...
  • Halloween Mice!
  • Funny Farm
  • Clifford's Bathtime
  • The Bumpy Little Pumpkin
  • Awake to Nap
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • Potty
I took a roundabout path to becoming a children's author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After ...more