Start by marking “All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful: Three James Herriot Classics” as Want to Read:

All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful: Three James Herriot Classics (All Creatures Great and Small #1-6)

4.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,215 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Timeless stories from a country veterinarian about the animals and people that shape life in a sleepy English town.

Perhaps better than any other writer, James Herriot reveals the ties that bind us to the natural world. Collected here are three of his masterpieces—All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful—which have be
Published November 15th 2011 by Open Road (first published 1980)

Pouting Always
Feb 20, 2017 Pouting Always rated it really liked it
I really really enjoyed the first book but I got bored with the second and third ones. I'm not sure if it's because I read them all at once because that's the way this version is but it gets old hearing about his hand up cows vaginas. The writing is very good though and it was really interesting, I never realized how much work being a vet could be. I think also since the third one was about the war I was like uninterested. I'm tired of reading about peoples war experiences it depresses me. I hig ...more
Anne
Jul 15, 2017 Anne rated it really liked it
Re-read this again after many years. Hilarious and touching at different points in these vignettes about people and animals.
Anne
This omnibus edition is on sale today for Kindle for only $2.99. I always highly, highly recommend James Herriot to anyone, and this is a fabulous deal. Get yours here.
John Koehler
Dec 22, 2012 John Koehler rated it it was amazing
If you love animals and don't mind taking a trip to Yorkshire, England, James Herriot's three books are a wonderful change from so much of what goes by contemporary work. The stories all come from the author's experiences as a vet. They are funny and witty, but the overriding flavor is of how wonderful life is, and how fabulous the author paints it. Perhaps it is that is was from a different time, the 1930s, but we can never have enough of these kinds of wonderful feel good books.
Doug
Apr 22, 2017 Doug rated it really liked it
I first read these books as a teenager and fell in love with both the portrayal of the people of 'the dales' where James Herriot worked and the animals he treated. I've had a chance to reread it and enjoyed it just a much. Well worth the time.
Anneliese
Jan 08, 2012 Anneliese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, animals
Love, love, love. I cannot speak highly enough of James Herriot. His writing style is beautiful; ranging from earthy to funny to serious to playful to absolutely stunningly beautiful. His stories of the Yorkshire farmers and their animals are always entertaining, sometimes for their humour and sometimes for their heartfelt portrayal of our poor young vet's inexperience :) These are older books, about an older time, and I can tell you that they hold up completely well; an absolute joy to read in ...more
Elizabeth Lefebvre
Apr 09, 2014 Elizabeth Lefebvre rated it it was amazing
I've recently re-read all these just in the past few weeks and my joy in reading them never seems to dim! Mr Crump's homemade wine, Tristan the ghost, the little car with the bald tires, Granville Bennett, Angus Grier, Herriot in Russia, Herriot meeting Helen and their first married years,and of course Seigfried Farnon... these stories always make me laugh and sometimes cry (especially the story of Mrs Donovan).
My copies are so old and battered now (1970-something printing), broken spines and d
Shelly Menzel
May 13, 2016 Shelly Menzel rated it really liked it
Very endearing and well written. Comfort read for anyone who loves to read about animals and/or small rural communities. This one is easy to pick up and put down whenever you have just a few minutes to read.
Joshimoe
Apr 21, 2015 Joshimoe rated it really liked it
Not a good set of books. I do enjoy the morals that the books teach. In my opinion i think that this book should be read more often.
Su
Jun 09, 2017 Su rated it it was amazing
I read these books when they were first made available in the U.S. in 1972, 1973, and 1976 respectively. I enjoyed them then, I enjoyed them again and I am very glad to return them to my e-library. The series is a well-told, autobiographical look at the life of an English veterinarian in the late thirties through his "adventures" in World War II. Herriot paints a lovely picture of the Yorkshire countryside and doesn't hesitate to mention the downside: cold barns, aching arms, recalcitrant animal ...more
Debbie Elholm
Feb 17, 2017 Debbie Elholm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal
I read these books years ago and loved them! James Herriot is a veterinarian in the countryside of England. All three books focus on his years as a veterinarian and the people and animals that he took care of. Beautifully written! Herriot takes you on a journey from his earliest days as a vet to when he is close to retirement. He introduces you to the Yorkshire countryside, its animals and their owners. He beautifully conveys the struggle some owners endure as they try to take care of their belo ...more
michael j lonergan
Jun 30, 2017 michael j lonergan rated it it was amazing
Great book(s) in a great series. I've read this series multiple times and it is always enjoyable, even now when I know what is going to happen. Well written and engaging in a way that transports the reader back to when these stories take place.
Joanna
Jun 17, 2017 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Charming and sustaining

You can't help but like this unless you are a creature without a soul and without wit. Is it simplistic at times? Yes, but if you don't crave that from time to time, I don't want to know you.
MaryAnn
Jul 08, 2017 MaryAnn rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite collections. Read this many years ago and still remember it very well. Might be time to pull them back out and enjoy the stories all over again.
Peter C
Mar 17, 2017 Peter C rated it it was amazing
Still in love

With a tear in my eye I write this review. If you have any affection for animals and people, these books will warm your heart.

I read these books as a young person and found them to be equally delightful again.

James Herriot is a master storyteller who has few equals.
Alex Siegel
Feb 09, 2017 Alex Siegel rated it it was amazing
As good as I remembered

I had listened to these stories as a boy. I loved them then. I read them ad an adult. I love them more now.
Beccie
Mar 09, 2017 Beccie rated it it was amazing
All Creatures Great and Small
I read this as a teenager and loved it. This is the first time I've read it in many, many years and it is still a gem. It is on my "What to read before my trip to the UK" list, and yes, I am now ready to visit the Yorkshire Dales. I might even understand people if they ask me to help birth a calf.
James Herriot is a remarkable storyteller! This is not my normal type of book at all, and yet I love it. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I'm pretty sure I appreciate
Lewis F. Fierke
Mar 13, 2017 Lewis F. Fierke rated it really liked it
The third time and still just positively wonderful

A super story for all ages. Much to be learned about life from our animal friends. Recommended for all ages.
Mary E
Jan 13, 2017 Mary E rated it it was amazing
Engaging, funny,

I tried reading these books when they first became popular but wasn't able to get into them. This time i wasn't able to put them down them down. They made me laugh out loud and cry. Few authors have the ability to bring me into their writing so completely.
Melissa Rochelle
5 stars. All Creatures Great and Small is a fantastic read. It's educational -- who knew being a vet in the late-30s was so harsh -- it's hilarious -- seriously, laugh out loud funny -- and absolutely timeless. I can't wait to watch the TV show (it's currently available on Netflix!) to see just how beautiful it is. I feel my Googling just hasn't done the area justice.

4.5 stars. All Things Bright and Beautiful didn't move along as quickly as the first book. The timeline threw me off a bit, but d
KIM
Feb 09, 2017 KIM rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
A love letter to life. Flowery I know but while falling in love with James' life I have found more love/peace/calm in my own life. Through his wonderfully discriptive storytelling I found hilarity and simple humor, warmth, wisdom, acceptance and contentment. I spent two months reading and rereading this book in detail getting myself lost in its calm uplifting spirit. Obviously I LOVED this book. This book is actually a three book volume that was originally six stories when first published in Eng ...more
erforscherin
I first discovered James Herriot sometime in elementary school, and while my well-loved original copy of All Creatures Great and Small has long since worn out and been replaced several times over, somehow each new reading feels fresh and... magical, if I can say that without sounding too cheesy. Herriot has an incredible knack for description, not only for his patients but for the people of Yorkshire and the countryside itself - all described so vividly that it feels like you're right there alon ...more
Liz
Sep 24, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing
Who knew the memoirs of an English country veterinarian would be so engrossing? James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful are stories from his life in the Yorkshire countryside, tending to all creatures great ad small needing care.

Though long, the stories draw every reader in - and not just those interested in animals, animal care, or farming. His style of storytelling is like a fireside chat with an uncle, ruminating on sto
Lisa C.
Apr 23, 2016 Lisa C. rated it it was amazing
These are classics that I pull out every couple of years to read. They never go out of style and I've been a fan of the author for decades. I haven't compared this set to the paperback version but from what I can tell they aren't condensed, but rather the set of three books packaged together. Writing is top notch and they have humor, sadness and are just overall terrific books.
Frank Volz
Jan 26, 2017 Frank Volz rated it it was amazing
There is comfort in the small things in life.

It is rare in today's frenetic pace of life that we get to experience the genuine pleasure of a measured travel of a truly happy, fulfilled vocation. The beauty of rural Yorkshire portrayed so admirable draws the reader inexorably into the writers world.
Michelle Gamboa
Oct 31, 2015 Michelle Gamboa rated it really liked it
I loved the stories and highly recommend the first two books. The third book also contained good stories, but I felt it was disjointed reading like two books lazily combined. I would've rather read a full chapter on Herriot's military life alternating with full chapters of memories of Yorkshire as they are both interesting.
Nancy Carter
Jun 02, 2016 Nancy Carter rated it it was amazing
Rereading Old Favorites

I love these books by James Herriot. I first read them many years ago and enjoyed them again every bit as much as I did then. If you are looking for a change of pace, these books of gentle humor that leave you with a sense of deep satisfaction and a smile are ones that I highly recommend.
Julya Harbin
Feb 04, 2016 Julya Harbin rated it it was amazing
Don't get any better than this especially if u love animals

Have read the package of 3. Now I read every night before I go to sleep. How relaxing . Can stop any time and begin the next night without missing anything.love love love this collection. You need it as well.
Sue
May 02, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Stories

Excellent storyteller, puts you right there with him. You can see the beautiful scenery, feel each heartbreak and glory each victory. Will look for the remaining books.
cheri carlson
Dec 19, 2014 cheri carlson rated it it was amazing
The best!

My mom told me about this book many years ago and I finally read it. I will get all of this collection and read them,great stories that are for all animal lovers. Makes you smile and feel better when you get depressed. A definite must read.
  • Nameless
  • Fool's War
  • Flyaway: How A Wild Bird Rehabber Sought Adventure and Found Her Wings
  • A Dignified Exit
  • The Land of Little Rain
  • Truth Be Told: Off the Record about Favorite Guests, Memorable Moments, Funniest Jokes, and a Half Century of Asking Questions
  • Beg: A Radical New Way of Regarding Animals
  • Blind But Now I See: The Biography of Music Legend Doc Watson
  • Double Delicious!: Good, Simple Food for Busy, Complicated Lives
  • Matriarch (Wess'Har Wars, #4)
  • Billy Graham: Candid Conversations with a Public Man
  • Dragon in Chains (Moshui, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Carousel Tides (Archers Beach, #1)
  • Fowl Weather
  • Around the World in 80 Dates
  • When You Come Home: The True Love Story of a Soldier's Heroism, His Wife's Sacrifice and the Resilience of America's Greatest Generation
  • Deep Down (Wide Open, #2)
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • If Only They Could Talk
  • Vet in a Spin
  • The Lord God Made Them All
  • Every Living Thing
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small)

“If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. You’ve nothing to worry about there.” 17 likes
“She’s out, Jim! The bugger’s out!” Well this was great. Anybody who has driven a car with a hysterical cat hurtling around the interior will appreciate my situation.” 6 likes