Start by marking “A Taste of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9.5)” as Want to Read:
A Taste of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9.5)

A Taste of Midnight

(Midnight Breed #9.5)

Book 9.5 (a novella) in the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling Midnight Breed vampire romance series

For fans who have been been waiting to devour Darker After Midnight, as well as new readers tempted by the seductive thrills of her Midnight Breed novels, New York Times bestselling author Lara Adrian offers up a tantalizing appetizer in A Taste of Midnigh
Published December 5th 2011 by Dell (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of Midnight

Start your review of A Taste of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9.5)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Finding love again Stars

Spoilers

A Taste of Midnight was a cute little novella. I was glad that Danika got another chance at love. My heart broke for her when Conlan was killed. I was glad the author didn't try to down play her love for Con just because she was getting a new mate. I did wish however that Malcolm's mate and child had been gone longer than just 7 months. I felt that it was too soon for him to move on. That kind of pain needs time. I loved that Danika and Malcolm knew each oth
Debra Johnson
After the Buddy Read of 5/16/20 Reread 😊
My new rating is
3.75 Stars.
That rounds up to 4 Stars.

I actually enjoyed it a lot more during my Buddy Read. The suspense & tension of Mal's & Danika's situation just captured my interest more this time around.

The ending was where the 'saccharine' bit comes in. It also felt rushed & I would have liked just a bit more. A couple more paragraphs or an epilogue would have gone a long way.

⏬⏬⏬Previous Comments⏬⏬⏬
Nothing like hitting the wrong button on your tab
Alex is The Romance Fox
I am such a fan of this series and having first being introduced to Danika McConn in Kiss of Midnight, I wondered what had happened to her after losing her mate, Conlan McConn during one of his missions whilst being pregnant with their child.

I was so happy to be given a chance to see how she was coping with the loss and how she dealt with her life with her baby son, Connor.

On a visit to family in Edinburgh, Scotland she attends a party and is immediately thrown into a very dangerous and deadly
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

A TASTE OF MIDNIGHT is an exhilarating read that will leave Midnight Breeds fans wanting more! Lara Adrian crafts a well-written and passionate story for widow Danika MacConn, the Breedmate who lost her mate, Conlan in the first book of the Midnight Breed series, Kiss of Midnight.

Now in Edinburgh with her infant son, Conner, Danika has an unpleasant encounter with Mr. Reiver, an arrogant Breed male who enjoys selling live human game for the pleasure of seeing them suf
Sophia Triad
Breed (warrior) Malcolm or Brannoc
Special ability: Speaking inside someone's head
Age: Around 500 years old

Breed mate Danika
Special ability: Reading others thoughts
Occupation: None. She was a breedmate more than 400 years.
Mark place: Abdomen

Settings: Edinburgh, Highlands, Scotland

This is a great short story. Danika was mourning her lost husband since book 1 of the series. Being left alone in life, she decides to visit her husband's relatives in Scotland with her infant son Connor. There
Karla
Nice little short that compliments the series! I think considering who Malcolm was in relation to Conlan, Danika's deceased mate, it would have been nice to embellish on their story a little. I liked him, felt sorry for him, and would have enjoyed seeing him become a part of 'The Order'. He had to the goods and would fit right in. Alas though, it's not meant to be! On to Chase's book! Now this should be good!
SheLove2Read
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of LA's Breed series
Shelves: 2011, keepers
Be still my heart!

This was a fabulous read and I read it in one sitting. If you remember from Kiss of Midnight, Danika is the widow of fallen Order member Conlan. She is in Scotland for the holidays visiting with Conlan's family. Unwittingly involved in a vicious plan for yet another underground blood club, Danika is saved by none other than Malcolm - Conlan's one time best friend, and the man whom Danika once thought she could love.

My only complaint is that it wasn't a full length book. I want
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
2 stars or D grade

Lara Adrian is an author who is hit-or-miss with me. The heroines have a tendency to lose their instinct for survivial. Sometimes the warriors feel like a weak interpretation of kicka$$ men. (I use to cringe when Rogue vampires were called "suckheads" by the warriors of the Order; luckily, that term was dropped several books ago.)

Breedmate Danika MacConn, widow of a fallen warrior, goes to Scotland to visit her deceased husband's family, along with her 3 month old baby. She me
Jessica T.
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was nice to catch up with what's been happening with Danika in this novella. I'm glad that she was able to find love again after losing Conlan. I like Malcolm also and I hope to see them again later in the series.
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was ok. But I can't say I liked it.

Why? Easy. It was too short.

I'm not ranting about the shortness itself. I believe it is absolutely possible to write good romance with a bit of suspense or angst or whatever in 70 pages. I do not believe the best heroine to choose for such a short story is one like Danika, who lost her mate some measly one and a half years ago. Like others here have said, it's totally ridiculous of any author to want us to believe in some sort of crazy bonding for life stuff
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I've felt sad for Danika since she lost Con and was left alone with her child. Unmated, now left to start aging, she was still strong. She moved away from The Order and went in search of closeness with her mate's family.

It's been enough time and now she finds someone that might be able to spark some interest in her, as it turns out, it's Cons' best friend. I loved the fact that technically Bran had *seen* her first. He was just a bit too slow to make a move and Con got a jump on that. He's alway
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

I liked the story surrounding Mal, Reiver, and Thane, but once again LR tried to force feed me an implausible romance. While I could see the potential in the Dani/Mal pairing, there is no way a woman mated for hundreds of years and still wearing her widow's garb would jump into bed with anyone within 24 hours; regardless if they had history or not!! I mean really why spend time painting a detailed picture of the heroine as the still grieving, devoted widow only to destroy it by havi
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books

I have always wanted to see more about Danika, the widowed Breedmate from very early on in the series. This novella absolutely satisfied that need.

Danika is feeling smothered at a Darkhaven soiree and wants nothing more than to return to her infant son at the cottage they are staying in. She's made a trip to the Highlands to visit Conlan's family, but she just wants to return home to Denmark.

But as she's walking to the terrace for a breath of fresh air, s
AJ
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gorgeous little read, taking us back to the story of Danika, who tragically lost her mate, Conlan, earlier in the series. One of the previous books in the series showed us a brief glimpse of Danika’s new life after she had returned to her native Denmark and had given birth to her and Conlan’s son, Connor. This book sees her and her baby in Edinburgh, visiting Conlan’s family. And while she is there, she unexpectedly runs into the tall, dark and mysterious vampire, Bran, who gets her h ...more
Shari
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Feeling so lost and alone, Breedmate Danika MacConn braves a holiday party thrown in the Highlands. When her senses overhear a conversation about bloodsport she can't help but eavesdrop. But when the same man who is setting up the horrific situation makes a pass for her, she can't resist letting him know just how much she reviles him, smacking him in front of all the guests at the party. Unbeknownst to her is that he is the local crime boss and now she is in trouble. But there is an unexpected a ...more
Ronda  Tutt
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short & Enjoyable!

Another enjoyable midnight breed story, this short 75 page novella was a fast page turner as the story brought forward a widowed breed mate with a child into the troughs and dangers of human trafficking breed leader by the name of Reiver. The Breed society is against human trafficking and between the Breed Order warrior “Thane” and Malcomb (Scott Breed), Reiver’s business was snuffed out and demolished.

I have to add that Malcomb’s character is sort of a tortured soul because
Dee
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this little Novella was great but I do wish that it was longer!......We already knew Danika and I am hoping that this little novella was slipped in to introduce Mal to us and that he becomes a main character in the series as I would really like to read more about him and the relationship between them.

Less than a month to go before the next installment is released and I can't wait ! ☺☺
Michelle the Romance Witch
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
wow what an awesome novella. Definitely filled my need for Breed :D cannot wait for chase's book in January but this was a very good shorty and im so happy to see Danika finally find love again since we all know sweet Conlan wouldn't have wanted her to mourn forever. Keep it up Lara and you'll keep landing on my shelves for sure.
Lorre
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really loved A Taste of Midnight ! A lot of times with a short story it feels rushed or not detailed enough but this short story didn't have that and it was a great in-between read.
It was nice to read about Danika and little Connor.
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Danika was pregnant when her breedmate Con was killed while on a mission for the Order. Unable to face the constant reminders of her lost love she left the Order's compound in Boston to return to her homeland for a quiet life with her son. While visiting Con's family in Scotland she overhears a dangerous criminal talking about humans being traded for blood sport and is determined to put a stop to it. She doesn't expect to run into an old friend but as soon as she sees Bran she recognises him as ...more
Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥
Jan 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
ValerieC
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Midnight Breed series.
This short novella came in early to my Kindle, and at $1.99 it was worth the read.

This is one of those 'in between' stories and catches us up with what happens to Danika MacConn, the pregnant Breedmate widow (of Conlan MacConn) we met in an earlier book. She lived in a cabin in Denmark and offered shelter to members of the Order that needed it.

In this novella, Danika is visiting her deceased H's Scottish relatives and attends a Darkhaven party with them.

While there, she overhears a group of male
Jen Davis
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
We never really had a chance to get to know Danika in the first Midnight Breeds book. Her mate, Conlan, was the warrior who died in that installment. Danika was pregnant and went off to Europe to have the baby. Now, a couple of years later, she is still trying to come to terms with Conlan’s death and new love is the last thing on her mind.

While attending a Darkhaven party, she overhears something she shouldn’t have and ends up making waves with a crime boss who puts her in his crosshairs. But th
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
In this novella, we get more of the story of Danika who had lost her mate, Con, who worked for The Order. She is striving to continue on with her life and take care of their child, Connor. She goes back to Scotland to be with family during the holidays.

At a party, she overhears some disturbing talk and has a brief encounter with the main culprit, Reiver. She just cannot let that go. She contacts Gideon from The Order to find out more information. He doesn't give it to her but through her ESP, s
Regina De Los Reyes
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed A Taste of Midnight. Usually these novellas feel too rushed for me, but I felt the story was well written and explored just enough for the story to be developed and finished in the short amount of chapters. Wonderful to know that Danika was able to mourn her mate in the amount of time she did and able to find another worthy male to be beside her and baby Connor. The fact that this male was part of her life so long ago just added to the sweetness and not a cheesy feeling that oft ...more
valee
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great short story! Specially helpful with the long waiting between last book and the next.

While I usually don´t care for anthologies, I enjoyed this one because the main characters already knew each other. So it wasn't like they got to love each other in less than 50 pages as it usually magically happens. The fact that they were former friends made it more believable for them to fall for each other so fast. All this made a sweet and entertaining story.

I really liked it and can't wait for the ne
Heather C
This story was ok, would have been much better if it would have been made into a novel. There was enough story there to be told between Malcolm and Danika that I wouldn't have complained. Too short to actually feel for and connect with the characters. And I didn't by the insta love after reconnecting after centuries apart.

But if you are a fan of this series, I definitely recommend reading it. I'm glad Danika finally got her HEA.
Linda
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A quick in between novella in the Midnight Breed world.
Danika is taking time of to see friends and relatives in Scotland when she stumbles upon both a long time friend and a crime bigwig *shudders* who takes a fancy on her.
Bran is undercover, trying to get revenge for his loss, when Danika re-enters his world. Wrong time, wrong face - but he can´t resist her.
Smutty fluff and suspense in a great combo, love this world! =)
SN the Viking
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Started reading this and some remembered I already read this, must have been in the back of a book or somewhere. I did really enjoy it, it was a very nice wrap up on Danika that had a very sad story. I also loved that it talked about Denmark and some part in Denmark too I think. I may remember wrongly.

4 stars

• Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17.5)
  • Adam (Nightwalkers, #6)
  • Blood Truth (Black Dagger Legacy, #4)
  • Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4)
  • Eternity Embraced (Demonica, #3.5)
  • Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3)
  • The Sinner (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • Ain’t No Party Like A Bear Party (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #1.1; Psy-Changeling, #16.1)
  • Immortal Rider  (Lords of Deliverance, #2; Demonica, #7)
  • Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2)
  • Sin Undone (Demonica #5)
  • Damien (Nightwalkers, #4)
  • Conquer the Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, #15)
  • Z (Demonica Underworld #3; Demonica #14; 1001 Dark Nights #39)
  • Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2)
  • Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)
  • The Darkest Assassin (Lords of the Underworld, #14.6)
  • Noah (Nightwalkers, #5)
LARA ADRIAN is a New York Times and #1 internationally best-selling author with nearly 4 million books in print and digital worldwide and translations licensed to more than 20 countries. Her books have been named among Amazon’s Top Ten Romances of the Year, and have also been nominated by readers multiple times as finalists for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Romance of the Year. Reviewers hav ...more

Midnight Breed (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1)
  • Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2)
  • Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed, #3)
  • Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4)
  • Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5)
  • Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #6)
  • Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7)
  • Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed, #8)
  • Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9)
  • Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed, #10)

News & Interviews

“How long can you brush up against evil and not come away stained with it yourself?” 6 likes